Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1,384 Times in 759 Posts

Default Van Halen's Major YouTube Problem

(Disclaimer: sorry to interrupt the numerous incredibly interesting Sam vs Dave threads with something more serious)

YouTube, for all intents and purposes, is the new FM radio in 2016. It's where a lot of people get their music. So it's rather surprising to notice how few views VH songs have for a band of this stature. Take Jump, VH's only number one hit on the Billboard Top 100. It has about 10 million views. Not bad. But Europe's "Final Countdown" has 188 million views. Bon Jovi's "It's My Life" has 292 million views, even though it never was as popular as Jump was. I could go on and on.

All these bands have their greatest hit uploaded to their official channel, their Vevo Channel. But what do we see on VH's Vevo channel? Only 4 songs from ADKOT. No Jump, no Panama, no WCTBL, etc. Van Halen has really dropped the ball on an ESSENTIAL promotional tool in the 21st century. More than that, their legacy will greatly suffer if this state of affairs continues. For us old timers, we have the CD/Vinyls from yesteryear. But for the younger generations, YouTube is the way they'll discover VH. Except they're much more likely to discover Bon Jovi instead, with the inexcusably unprofessional way things are ran in the VH camp. I hope someone up on the hill or at WB sees this and rectifies it, before it's too late.
    Little Dreamer

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

05.12.16 @ 06:06 AM
    Liked 468 Times in 372 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    (Disclaimer: sorry to interrupt the numerous incredibly interesting Sam vs Dave threads with something more serious)

YouTube, for all intents and purposes, is the new FM radio in 2016. It's where a lot of people get their music. So it's rather surprising to notice how few views VH songs have for a band of this stature. Take Jump, VH's only number one hit on the Billboard Top 100. It has about 10 million views. Not bad. But Europe's "Final Countdown" has 188 million views. Bon Jovi's "It's My Life" has 292 million views, even though it never was as popular as Jump was. I could go on and on.

All these bands have their greatest hit uploaded to their official channel, their Vevo Channel. But what do we see on VH's Vevo channel? Only 4 songs from ADKOT. No Jump, no Panama, no WCTBL, etc. Van Halen has really dropped the ball on an ESSENTIAL promotional tool in the 21st century. More than that, their legacy will greatly suffer if this state of affairs continues. For us old timers, we have the CD/Vinyls from yesteryear. But for the younger generations, YouTube is the way they'll discover VH. Except they're much more likely to discover Bon Jovi instead, with the inexcusably unprofessional way things are ran in the VH camp. I hope someone up on the hill or at WB sees this and rectifies it, before it's too late.
    To be fair - The Final Countdown has been used so many times in marketing and advertising and I think it had a resurgence in dance clubs a few years back - it's become an iconic song.

As for Bon Jovi - unfortunately they are more popular than Van Halen. Bon Jovi and Van Halen could be playing in the same city at the same time and Bon Jovi would have the much bigger crowd

What was popular years ago - doesn't always hold up now.

The problem is that Eddie just doesn't give a fuck. Van Halen isn't being pushed and kept in the public eye through constant marketing and promotion and they are not really involved in social media and other things that would keep the Van Halen name and their music out there constantly. It wouldn't take much to do that if Eddie bothered to hire someone to whore out Van Halen to the world.
    Last edited by Motherload; 03.11.16 at 12:31 AM.

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:09 PM
    Liked 1,978 Times in 892 Posts

Everyone that matters already has the VH CD's for over 20 years at least so there's no need to hear the official albums on YouTube.

Whatever bands that have super high YT view numbers are probably from folks who didn't buy the album or even bother to buy the big hit song from ITunes or Amazon.

Good luck trying to figure out a definitive measurement about how all that works or pertains to how many little twerps freeload their VH for free.
    " On a scale that ranges from deep dark depression to rip roaring fun ... most people idle between pissed off ...and not too pissed off " DLR 1997

" I am the danger ... I am the one who knocks " Walter White 2011

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:39 AM
    Liked 3,112 Times in 1,823 Posts

Premium Member

Is anyone surprised by this?

I wouldn't put it past him if Eddie looked at this as another 'freebie' for fans, even though there is a way to make money by putting your music up there. "What, they can just listen to it for free online? Fuck that."

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

1978-1996
    Favorite VH Song

1978-1996
    Last Online

12.23.16 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 2,068 Times in 1,102 Posts

Donor

In true VH backwards fashion, Isn't VH quick to get stuff taken down off Youtube?

I mean VHND had those cool instrumental versions of songs each week for a while and as fast as VHND put them up, they were taken down just as quick. Makes no sense, only die hard fans would listen to stuff like that and they take them down? Jeez

9. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:57 AM
    Liked 2,275 Times in 1,167 Posts

Don't understand ????

There are 10's of thousands of VH-related videos up on YouTube...

Type in any song title or any VH topic and the content is massive.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:58 AM
    Liked 1,855 Times in 813 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by noise next door View Post
    Don't understand ????

Yes there are thousands of VH videos, I think he's referring to the lack of official VH stuff from the band taking full advantage of the social interaction
    But the band are social hermits

Signaled from my ballsack

Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies & Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:54 AM
    Liked 5,127 Times in 2,425 Posts

you're right ... but this is all due to the record label (Warner Brothers). They never made a deal with Youtube/Vevo... so no WB artist has official Vevo channels (which is essential the official music videos for artists, kinda like iTunes for videos).

Since ADKOT was released on Interscope (and has deal with YT/Vevo) that channel exists as it should.

But still, VH and/or WB could do better to take down or consolidate into official channels .... But at the same time most of the fan uploaded videos play ads and still give $$$ to VH/WBR when music is played, just the same.

Remember the OFFICIAL VH channel uploaded most of the old videos last year > https://www.youtube.com/user/VHTelevision

Eruption
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:58 AM
    Liked 1,855 Times in 813 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by noise next door View Post
    Don't understand ????

Yes there are thousands of VH videos, I think he's referring to the lack of official VH stuff from the band taking full advantage of the social interaction
    But the band are social hermits

Signaled from my ballsack

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:04 AM
    Liked 2,801 Times in 1,450 Posts

Something might be skewed on this because the main "Eruption" video is approaching 20 million views. That's not even an official version of a particular song and it has more than the Jump video? I don't think the Jump numbers are a true representation of their popularity.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1,384 Times in 759 Posts

Harpospoke, yes for us who remember the past. But YouTube is the new order. For millions, YouTube is their only reality. It defines the status of a band. And VH is falling behind in a major way.

We're talking about a band once called the greatest American rock band of all time! It's not some indie band. They have money. And they're doing nothing, pretty much.
    Little Dreamer

Eruption
    Favorite VH Song

Secrets
    Last Online

11.01.17 @ 03:25 PM
    Liked 607 Times in 299 Posts

ah, you're just figuring this out now? VH has been dropping the ball in the internet age since, well, since the internet age began.....
    A new short film I made, please like/follow:
    http://facebook.com/umbrellashortfilm

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:45 AM
    Liked 16,527 Times in 9,367 Posts

What is this YouTube of which you speak?
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 11:07 AM
    Liked 6,828 Times in 3,570 Posts

Premium Member

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:45 AM
    Liked 16,527 Times in 9,367 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    Can somebody please teach me how to embed a YouTube? Dibs? Anyone?
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"