Register
    Favorite VH Album

The new one, Hopefully!
    Favorite VH Song

Impossible
    Last Online

04.18.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 102 Times in 54 Posts

Default Who here would shell out for a Hand Wired point to point 5150?

It would probably have to be only 2 channels, possibly only one. But it could have the built-in attenuator, and reverb for the combo's. I would love one!........especially come Sun-spot-solar-flare time.

I will let you slide on the distortion pedal Ed, if you make this happen.

Favorite VH Album

The new one, Hopefully!
    Favorite VH Song

Impossible
    Last Online

04.18.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 102 Times in 54 Posts

While he's at it, Ed might as well open a tube factory and make some good tubes.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:00 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

If he made it the el34 powered head he's working on maybe. Otherwise I got no interest. I'd even settle for a one channel el34 5150 it it were hand wired p to p.

Of all his product(especially the flip flops. Cmon man) some a little silly. I'm suprised the first thing he went for wasn't tubes. They stopped making his favorite tubes a long time ago. And as many know good tubes are hard to find. It's gotten better the last ten years or so. Mid '90s walk into a music store and they didn't have much. 12ax7 in a white box. No name on box or tube. I've got one still so I know. So no name preamp and Boogie or no name Power tubes.

Actually knowing Ed I wouldn't be suprised to learn he secretly bought JJ tubes Kramer style. After it goes under we'll learn he was a partner.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,325 Times in 3,179 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

What's so special about a p2p wired amp?

Not really an amp expert.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,107 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

All amps are point to point
    Hand wired is supposed to mean done with care
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

Eruption
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:33 PM
    Liked 266 Times in 142 Posts

Premium Member

There's a well-known video of a tour of the Marshall factory, in which the factory boss says there is no difference at all between HW and PCB, but that the market demands a HW option. I have a HW Marshall and PCB Marshall. Obviously, the HW one would be easier to work on and modify. But a real pro knows exactly where everything is on the PCB version too. They're cool to look at if you appreciate that stuff. My SLO is a work of art when I pull the chassis out. But that's buying a Rolex because of the cool movement you can't see unless you pull the back off of it, which no one but a watchmaker ever does.

Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:42 AM
    Liked 124 Times in 84 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
    There's a well-known video of a tour of the Marshall factory, in which the factory boss says there is no difference at all between HW and PCB, but that the market demands a HW option. I have a HW Marshall and PCB Marshall. Obviously, the HW one would be easier to work on and modify. But a real pro knows exactly where everything is on the PCB version too. They're cool to look at if you appreciate that stuff. My SLO is a work of art when I pull the chassis out. But that's buying a Rolex because of the cool movement you can't see unless you pull the back off of it, which no one but a watchmaker ever does.
    There is some potential capacitance between traces on a board that wouldn't be present in a PTP setup, but it's fairly minimal and could be compensated for fairly easily. Cable gauge, tube swaps, and different speaker cabs make a bigger difference.

As far as modding an amp, my worry with PCB amps is that the traces will pull up.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:16 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Question

Zero sonic benefit in a PTP design for anything Eddie has attached his name to since 1991.

There has been a misunderstanding.

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Eruption
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:33 PM
    Liked 266 Times in 142 Posts

Premium Member

In that Marshall factory tour video they said the machine can place three components on the PCB PER SECOND. So you can imagine the human inefficiency that drives the cost of HW way higher. Have you guys heard of the "Rosemary" Plexis? That stuff is very cool to read about and, if you happen to snag one. But I just don't believe the hype. Other than a risk of cold solder joints when running a PCB through a solder bath, which has happened on a few of my tube amps (EVH 50w included), I'll go the cheap route.

Here's my HW Marshall clone.

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,107 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Sweeeeet
    But not 3 extra grand sweet
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

13. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Eruption
    Last Online

06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
    In that Marshall factory tour video they said the machine can place three components on the PCB PER SECOND. So you can imagine the human inefficiency that drives the cost of HW way higher. Have you guys heard of the "Rosemary" Plexis? That stuff is very cool to read about and, if you happen to snag one. But I just don't believe the hype. Other than a risk of cold solder joints when running a PCB through a solder bath, which has happened on a few of my tube amps (EVH 50w included), I'll go the cheap route.

Here's my HW Marshall clone.

Chris is one of my best friends. thats pretty cool you have that amp. its as close as you can get

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 726 Times in 343 Posts

I'm not convinced there is any advantage to HW vs. PCB on the board itself, but there are some features from HW amps that I would love to see inside of a 5150. For one, I would like the tube sockets, jacks, and pots to be chassis mounted vs. board mounted. I would like the jacks to be Switchcraft, and the pots to be full-sized and soldered to the to the board using full-sized wire. I would also like to see the boards within the amp connected with soldered wire connections, and not the ribbon cables and molex connectors.

I would pay extra money for that. It wouldn't be hand-wired PTP totally, but it would be PCB where it makes sense, and using quality construction methods and components where it counts.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.