Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 23 123411 ... LastLast
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 726 Times in 343 Posts

Default For those old enough to live through it, 1986...

It seems like everything turns into a Sam vs. Dave thread, so I thought I would create a Sam vs. Dave thread that approaches it a little differently. Forget everything that has happened with the band since 1987. Put yourself in your state of mind that you were in in 1986, when Eat 'Em and Smile and 5150 were released. Which one did you like better then, and which one do you like now?

For me, I was in the Dave camp in 1986. When I first heard EEAS, I was floored. I hadn't really heard of Steve Vai until then, and it was right up my alley. Of course, I was 15 years old at the time, and was already pretty into the original Van Halen. I also liked 5150, but I felt like EEAS was better.

Fast forward 30 years, and I feel a little differently. I don't know if I'm listening to them now with a more mature ear, or if the follow up albums somehow changed the way I view the stuff from '86, but I find myself favoring 5150 a little bit over EEAS now.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

2. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Good Enough ED'S A 20THCENTURY MOZART's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Like em all. even III. ;}
    Favorite VH Song

A Lot!
    Last Online

09.08.16 @ 05:36 PM
    Liked 116 Times in 66 Posts

5150 then.
    5150 now.

Eat Em' is a good record tho.. Obviously.

no disrespect, but dave tried to get the best who could fill ed, al, and mikes shoes. and he did.

5150 was moving forward tho. It's all good.

just never forget hearing summer nights, 5150, dreams in the summer of '86.

pretty awesome.

I probably have more to say about this, but that's all I have right now..
    I DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' CLICK!

4. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:54 PM
    Liked 1,607 Times in 989 Posts

Donor

No contest. EEAS was good.

5150 was a miracle, that it was as good as it was. We did not expect that. We expected it to tank without Dave.

Summer Nights vs Yankee Rose? Not even close.

6. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Eruption
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:02 PM
    Liked 1,858 Times in 814 Posts

This is tough, I was solidly in the Dave camp, but Eddie was the reason I like Van Halen.
    5150 was a better album top to bottom, but EEAS has a couple better songs over 5150.
    When WCTBL hit the radio, I was pissed. I though VH was ruined and now it would be nothing but sappy love songs which were a dime a dozen back then. But I bought the album, I heard GE and I was oh, well that's alright. The next two songs sucked, so I almost stopped listening
    But the Dreams, SN, BOBW I was encouraged. LWI was alright and 5150 blew me away. Honestly I'd love to mix the two albums, it would go like this
    Yankee Rose
    Summer Nights
    BOBW
    Shyboy
    Dreams
    Ladies night in Buffalo
    Goin Crazy
    Good Enough

Signaled from my ballsack

8. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 06:19 PM
    Liked 11,754 Times in 6,511 Posts

Premium Member

EEAS for me. Didn't like 5150 then, still don't like it now.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Today? Stay Frosty
    Last Online

06.16.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 104 Times in 44 Posts

Donor

For me it comes down to this...Vai is an incredible guitar player. Technically, maybe even "better" than Eddie. BUT, what I think gets overlooked sometimes by people (maybe outside this site) is that Eddie can flat out write a song. So "better" becomes meaningless. Eddie has chops and can write music I want to listen to...the songs on EEAS were good, but there was an element of liking anything Dave was involved with....Dave missed Eddie for his entire solo career. Nobody writes a hard rock tune like Ed. So, yea, 5150 by a country mile - then and now.
    The Barn Burned Down, Now I can See the Moon

Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies & Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:54 AM
    Liked 5,127 Times in 2,425 Posts

I was pretty even down the middle in 1986. Like both records (could do without Dreams and LWI). I was still a VH nut.

EEAS rocks your face off. that's a good thing.

Actually I'd put Yankee Rose up against any 5150 song. Very strong, well-written song that has all the ingredients from start to finish. Plus iconic video.

Both might have songs you could toss (Get Up, maybe.... Tobacco Road, maybe)... but still they had purpose within the album context more or less.

13. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:57 PM
    Liked 8,740 Times in 4,727 Posts

Premium Member

Still remember hearing WCTBL for the first time. Ugh. But then I heard some of the other stuff, thought it was different and more commercial sounding, but it still rocked. I don't care for either WCTBL or LWI, but the rest of the album is pretty strong. It was a bit jarring at the time, because there isn't anything on there that has the intensity or aggression of the two tracks that end 1984, GGB and HOP, and that doesn't have anything to do with the vocals really.

With EEAS, I thought it was a pretty good album as well. Never cared for Bump And Grind and a couple others are just, "ehh", but there are some stellar tracks. Goin Crazy is still my fav Dave solo tune, and Big Trouble, Ladies Nite In Buffalo, and Yankee Rose are all excellent. Dave is just a superior lyricist to Sam, IMO.

Overall, though, Ed and Al beat Vai and Bissonette every day of the week and twice on Sunday, and that's why I give the slight edge to 5150. Still wish cooler heads had prevailed, and the original band had stayed intact, but oh well, can't change the past and VH was still my favorite band, just as they are now.

15. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:53 PM
    Liked 398 Times in 177 Posts

1986 mindset?

"I love 5150, God I wish Dave was singing these songs though!"

17. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

The Seventh Seal
    Last Online

08.19.16 @ 08:52 PM
    Liked 196 Times in 144 Posts

When I heard the news that Dave was leaving, it really did not shock me. Maybe I was surprised, but not shocked. Dave came across as wanting to do his own thing. I didn't think Van Halen was over, but I was curious as to how and with whom they would move forward. When it was announced that Sammy was joining the band, it made sense to me. Sammy had a few hits of his own and an MTV presence, plus he had been great in Montrose.

When I first heard Eat 'em and Smile, the first thing I thought was Steve Vai is not Edward Van Halen, and Dave is not the same without Van Halen's music. I honestly thought it was a step down for Dave and a sign that he had made a huge mistake.

When I heard 5150, the first thing I thought was Sammy Hagar sounds nothing like he did during is solo career. This was the best he had ever sounded, and I really respected his work on the first Montrose album and on Standing Hampton. Joining Van Halen brought out the best in Sammy Hagar. Van Halen sounded different but awesome. It was intriguing and invigorating. Any concern I had about Van Halen without Dave vanished.

Eat 'em and Smile was a good album. 5150 is an excellent album and one of Van Halen's best, in my opinion.

19. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:32 PM
    Liked 540 Times in 321 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by xk319 View Post
    1986 mindset?

"I love 5150, God I wish Dave was singing these songs though!"
    Ha ha - I had that same but opposite reaction to ADKOT - these songs are awesome, God I wish that was Sammy's voice singing them.

1986 I was all kinds of fired up that Sam was taking over. I got hooked on VH through their Jump video, like, oh, a few million of us I'm sure. But I always thought Dave was their weak link. Never really liked his voice or his stage antics. I was a fan of the music, not the spectacle. And at the time I was also a Hagar fan because of VOA. So to me, this was a match made in heaven - my favorite vocalist fronting my favorite band.

Also have to be honest that WCTBL didn't blow me away when I first heard it. Grew on me, but at first I was thinking it just didn't rock hard enough. I was like "this is it?!?" It became a favorite song, although that might be because I talked myself into it, LOL.

Even with my "Dave is the weak link" position, I bought EEAS and Skyscraper, solely because of his past connection to VH. If it had anything to do with VH, I was on board.

Today, I still prefer Sam fronting VH as a singer and performer, and love the magic that happens when Sam is singing and Ed is playing. That said, the songs that are created when Dave and Ed are working together are unreal. ADKOT was an album I wish they would have made with Sam, and that includes Roth's lyrics.

21. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

CGTSNM
    Last Online

03.18.16 @ 03:50 PM
    Liked 49 Times in 23 Posts

5150. All summer long. Two cassettes that summer alone. South Padre Island ate one. Baby oil and beach sand. And bosoms. Lots of bodoms...

Sent From Somewhere Out There

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:18 PM
    Liked 7,853 Times in 4,586 Posts

Premium Member

5150...not even close.

EEAS was Dave trying waaay too hard.

I was a Dave fan until Skyscraper and then never gave him another thought.

I applaud those who are genuine in their like for him and who followed his career. I found his output to be mediocre at best.

Yes, that goes for Sam out of VH , too.

24. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:23 PM
    Liked 16,538 Times in 9,374 Posts

5150, then and now.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 05:11 AM
    Liked 648 Times in 358 Posts

5150 then as a 12/13 year old, and now as a 42 year old. But EEAS may well be my second favorite album of 1986.

27. The Following 2 Members Like This Post: