Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 08:16 AM
    Liked 11,603 Times in 4,947 Posts

Default Wolfgang Standard

So I'm not a huge fan of the EVH Wolfgangs and I know I've said that before. I just think they're inferior to then the EBMM's and the early Peavey Wolfs. And the Fenders I've played I didn't love for the price. But I recently noticed there is a new translucent blue Wolfgang Standard out, same look as my Warmoth Strat I built. I really like that look. So I went to the Guitar Center here to play one of the Standards to even see if I liked how they play. And I have to say for the price they seem pretty nice and I'm considering one of those blue ones. So just looking for opinions on these from others that have owned or played them. Thanks!
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,354 Times in 3,194 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

They're good guitars but I don't like the pickups and it always seems that the ones at guitar center have been played more and are out of whack so I can never get a good read on them.

I still have not been able to play a USA model and they've been out for years. I just can't find one in Atlanta. And I'm not forking over 3k to blindly hope a guitar is good.

Sent from my iPhone using swagger

Favorite VH Album

All of 'em
    Favorite VH Song

All except "How Many Say I"
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 04:34 AM
    Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts

I hate Guitar Center, it's the Walmart of music stores. Sorry I can't help, just had to chime in on GC.
    “Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy.” - Benjamin Franklin

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 1,627 Times in 873 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Never been in one here that was impressive either. Last one I was in there was just a bunch of guys with amps dimed trying to play over each other. Seemed more geared to "Buy this and try it at home. If you don't like it, return it." Having driven 1 1/2 hours to get there, I wasn't interested in taking something home without testing it. I imagine in a larger area there may be a better experience though.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 03:51 AM
    Liked 18,196 Times in 8,990 Posts

I've never been in a Guitar Center, there is a Melodee Music in my area that I do frequent that I like.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,107 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I have a black standard that came out last year--the pick ups need to be replaced but overall it is a solid instrument. Don't get me wrong--the trem system needs to upgraded and the neck feels kinda sterile or cheap. One night after I had tweaked everything into place I cranked everything up and wailed on it for about 3 straight hours. It held up just fine. So for $550 or whatever I'd say its a keeper for my rack of guitars. Now, If my son or a friends kid wanted it and was getting into to it--I would not hesitate to give it to them.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    So I'm not a huge fan of the EVH Wolfgangs and I know I've said that before. I just think they're inferior to then the EBMM's and the early Peavey Wolfs. And the Fenders I've played I didn't love for the price. But I recently noticed there is a new translucent blue Wolfgang Standard out, same look as my Warmoth Strat I built. I really like that look. So I went to the Guitar Center here to play one of the Standards to even see if I liked how they play. And I have to say for the price they seem pretty nice and I'm considering one of those blue ones. So just looking for opinions on these from others that have owned or played them. Thanks!
    Don't want to derail, but inquiring minds want to know. What if the EVH WG Standard came in pink? Blue or Pink?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Haha I only have a pink EBMM because back in 1992 I didn't want to have the same guitar as Ed because I was too cool, so I bought the pink one GC had instead of the amber.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

9. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by evhintexas View Post
    I have a black standard that came out last year--the pick ups need to be replaced but overall it is a solid instrument. Don't get me wrong--the trem system needs to upgraded and the neck feels kinda sterile or cheap. One night after I had tweaked everything into place I cranked everything up and wailed on it for about 3 straight hours. It held up just fine. So for $550 or whatever I'd say its a keeper for my rack of guitars. Now, If my son or a friends kid wanted it and was getting into to it--I would not hesitate to give it to them.
    What are the pickups in it?

For the price it seems ok. I definitely wasn't blown away by it.
    Webmaster

JamToThis.com
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 07:47 AM
    Liked 140 Times in 83 Posts

Brett,

I wound up buying the smokey quilt standard when it came out. I went to 5 different GC's in NJ. It was very much like old school hunts for a good LP or Strat how you had to "find the good ones" back in the day. Every one I played on was different. I settled on a Smoke one out of Mays Landing GC. I did a little fine tuning myself and then took it to my Luthier (Pete Brown South Jersey Guitar Repair) and had him set it up like my #1 wolfie. It plays exactly the same and has a tiny bit more high end brilliance in the pups than my tobacco burst wolfie special. For the price one is totally worth it: but it becomes yours an will never be worth more - especially if you mod it out. I love that damn guitar and it rivals my favorite now. Go on the hunt and see what you find.

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 08:27 AM
    Liked 2,865 Times in 1,074 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

My local GC had two of them in at one point. I probably played them days after they were on the floor. One was very nice for the price, so much so that I was encouraging my brother to come buy it. The other was set up poorly and obviously that hindered my impression.

Like Joezlo said, I think the trick to buying these moderate to low priced guitars is to play a bunch of them. They're not able to maintain as high consistency in that price range, but you're bound to find some gems after trying a few.

Favorite VH Album

VH 1 / F.U.C.K
    Last Online

07.24.17 @ 07:06 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 24 Posts

I played on one the last time I was in GC, mainly to say I had done it. I am actually thinking about getting that blue one for myself.

I'm not a fan of jumbo frets - learning to play on a JS100 Ibanez (mediums) and owning 2 EVH WG Specials (vintage mediums) have basically turned me into a fret-snob, so I was curious how noticeable it actually was.

The neck wasn't bad, and I will honestly probably snag a used one at some point, just to have something I can truly beat the living sh*t out of, but I won't be trading my specials up for it.

Good intermediate guitar, but not the holy grail.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    Haha I only have a pink EBMM because back in 1992 I didn't want to have the same guitar as Ed because I was too cool, so I bought the pink one GC had instead of the amber.
    You needn't explain yourself, it's a bad-ass axe. Period. Players on the EBMM forums would KILL for that piece.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Cant pick 1!
    Last Online

08.27.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 96 Times in 77 Posts

Tried 4 at 2 different shops, felt cheap but were not set up well so that may remedy that. Good price for what you get if you find one that plays well though.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 10:42 AM
    Liked 6,987 Times in 5,020 Posts

Premium Member

Had me a trans black quilt one last year, before these were readily available at most local stores.
    Nice looking and sounding, although I could tell that it felt "cheap", for lack of a better word. No bones about anyone who favors these, and I DID love the neck & jumbo frets, yet I sold mine soon after getting it...

Keep in mind that I'm talking about last year's model, before the current blue/purple/silver burst ones came out, not to mention the new solid colors.
    I was very excited to see the first stock photos of the trans blue and purple burst ones. Then, I saw a NAMM video as well as the current eBay listings.... They don't look as good as I first thought. That's just me.

My old one;

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	008.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	3304 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	014.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	47.4 KB 
ID:	3305 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	002.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	35.6 KB 
ID:	3306
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora