Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 2,243 Times in 1,359 Posts

Default Second Wachowski Sibling Comes Out as Transgender

Kind of blown away by this. What are the chances that this could be the circumstances twice in the same family? Well, I believe in lettin people do what people do....so I hope she is happy. But an interesting bit of research could be done here

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/an...ly-1201725853/

The second Wachowski sibling of “The Matrix” trilogy has come out as a transgender woman, with Andy Wachowski, now going by the name Lilly, making an announcement on Tuesday.

Lilly’s sister and directing partner, Lana, came out as transgender years ago. In a statement to Windy City News, Lilly said she was at risk of being outed by the media.

According to her statement, Lilly was approached by a reporter at U.K. outlet the Daily Mail, who asked Lilly if she could “have my picture taken and tell my story which was so inspirational!”

Lilly went on to slam the Daily Mail’s history with transgender issues.

“It was the ‘news’ organization that had played a huge part in the national public outing of Lucy Meadows, an elementary school teacher and trans woman in the UK,” she wrote. “And now here they were, at my front door, almost as if to say — ‘There’s another one! Let’s drag ’em out in the open so we can all have a look!'”

“So yeah, I’m transgender,” she went on. “And yeah, I’ve transitioned.”
    Shortly after the announcement, GLAAD director of programs for transgender media Nick Adams issued a statement celebrating the news and cautioning the media in its coverage: “GLAAD is thrilled that Lilly Wachowski is able to be her true and authentic self today, however, she should not have been forced to disclose her transgender identity before she was ready to do so. Journalists must learn that it is unacceptable to out a transgender person, in the same way it is unacceptable to out a person who is gay, lesbian, or bisexual.”

The Wachowskis rose to fame with “The Matrix” in 1999, completing the trilogy in 2003. Last year, the duo released “Jupiter Ascending,” starring Channing Tatum and Mila Kunis, and also recently co-created the Netflix series “Sense8.”

Read the full statement below.

“SEX CHANGE SHOCKER—WACHOWSKI BROTHERS NOW SISTERS!!!”

There’s the headline I’ve been waiting for this past year. Up until now with dread and/or eye rolling exasperation. The “news” has almost come out a couple of times. Each was preceded by an ominous email from my agent—reporters have been asking for statements regarding the “Andy Wachowski gender transition” story they were about to publish. In response to this threatened public outing against my will, I had a prepared a statement that was one part piss, one part vinegar and 12 parts gasoline.

It had a lot of politically relevant insights regarding the dangers of outing trans people, and the statistical horrors of transgender suicide and murder rates. Not to mention a slightly sarcastic wrap-up that “revealed” my father had injected praying mantis blood into his paternal ball-sac before conceiving each of his children to produce a brood of super women, hellbent on female domination. Okay, mega sarcastic.

But it didn’t happen. The editors of these publications didn’t print a story that was only salacious in substance and could possibly have a potentially fatal effect. And being the optimist that I am, I was happy to chalk it up to progress.

Then last night while getting ready to go out for dinner my doorbell rang. Standing on my front porch was a man I did not recognize.

“This might be a little awkward,” he said in an English accent.

I remember sighing.

Sometimes it’s really tough work to be an optimist.

He proceeded to explain he was a journalist from the Daily Mail, which was the largest news service in the UK and was most definitely not a tabloid. And that I really had to sit down with him tomorrow or the next day or next week so that I could have my picture taken and tell my story which was so inspirational! And that I really didn’t want to have someone from the National Enquirer following me around, did I? BTW—The Daily Mail is so definitely not a tabloid.

My sister Lana and I have largely avoided the press. I find talking about my art frustratingly tedious and talking about myself a wholly mortifying experience. I knew at some point I would have to come out publicly. You know, when you’re living as an out transgender person it’s … kind of difficult to hide. I just wanted—needed some time to get my head right, to feel comfortable.

But apparently I don’t get to decide this.

After he had given me his card, and I closed the door it began to dawn on me where I had heard of the Daily Mail. It was the “news” organization that had played a huge part in the national public outing of Lucy Meadows, an elementary school teacher and trans woman in the UK. An editorial in the “not-a-tabloid” demonized her as a damaging influence on the children’s delicate innocence and summarized “he’s not only trapped in the wrong body, he’s in the wrong job.” The reason I knew about her wasn’t because she was transgender it was because three months after the Daily Mail article came out, Lucy committed suicide.

And now here they were, at my front door, almost as if to say—

“There’s another one! Let’s drag ’em out in the open so we can all have a look!”

Being transgender is not easy. We live in a majority-enforced gender binary world. This means when you’re transgender you have to face the hard reality of living the rest of your life in a world that is openly hostile to you.

I am one of the lucky ones. Having the support of my family and the means to afford doctors and therapists has given me the chance to actually survive this process. Transgender people without support, means and privilege do not have this luxury. And many do not survive. In 2015, the transgender murder rate hit an all-time high in this country. A horrifying disproportionate number of the victims were trans women of color. These are only the recorded homicides so, since trans people do not all fit in the tidy gender binary statistics of murder rates, it means the actual numbers are higher.

And though we have come a long way since Silence of the Lambs, we continue to be demonized and vilified in the media where attack ads portray us as potential predators to keep us from even using the goddamn bathroom. The so-called bathroom bills that are popping up all over this country do not keep children safe, they force trans people into using bathrooms where they can be beaten and or murdered. We are not predators, we are prey.

So yeah, I’m transgender.

And yeah, I’ve transitioned.

I’m out to my friends and family. Most people at work know too. Everyone is cool with it. Yes, thanks to my fabulous sister they’ve done it before, but also because they’re fantastic people. Without the love and support of my wife and friends and family I would not be where I am today.

But these words, “transgender” and “transitioned” are hard for me because they both have lost their complexity in their assimilation into the mainstream. There is a lack of nuance of time and space. To be transgender is something largely understood as existing within the dogmatic terminus of male or female. And to “transition” imparts a sense of immediacy, a before and after from one terminus to another. But the reality, my reality is that I’ve been transitioning and will continue to transition all of my life, through the infinite that exists between male and female as it does in the infinite between the binary of zero and one. We need to elevate the dialogue beyond the simplicity of binary. Binary is a false idol.

Now, gender theory and queer theory hurt my tiny brain. The combinations of words, like freeform jazz, clang disjointed and discordant in my ears. I long for understanding of queer and gender theory but it’s a struggle as is the struggle for understanding of my own identity. I have a quote in my office though by José Muñoz given to me by a good friend. I stare at it in contemplation sometimes trying to decipher its meaning but the last sentence resonates:

“Queerness is essentially about the rejection of a here and now and an insistence on potentiality for another world.”

So I will continue to be an optimist adding my shoulder to the Sisyphean struggle of progress and in my very being, be an example of the potentiality of another world.

Lilly Wachowski

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 12:22 PM
    Liked 8,803 Times in 4,766 Posts

Premium Member

Very strange. And some of her letter almost read like dialogue from the Matrix.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 12:15 PM
    Liked 2,244 Times in 1,133 Posts

Premium Member

Can someone from the PC police tell me whether I'm reading about a hero or a victim?

Seems to me he's a very confused person.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 11:58 AM
    Liked 3,126 Times in 1,832 Posts

Premium Member

As far as I am concerned, you don't get much more basic in liberty and self-determination than determining something like this. I have to admit that if one of my best guy friends wanted to transition to being a woman, it would take some getting used to. I couldn't even imagine if my wife wanted to do it. I like to think eventually it wouldn't be an issue, especially with friends, though I have a hard time thinking I could continue being married if my wife wanted to be a man.

In and of itself, I don't think she is a victim nor do I think she is a hero--at least for specifically this reason. It takes courage, I think, to do this, as acceptance is still working its way around.

In fact, the only thing I really have to say about this is that I hope these sisters come back with a better movie than Jupiter Ascending because that abortion of a film was so bad that it wasn't even fun to watch how bad it was.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

Yes, this is his right to dress up like a woman, chop off his bits, and tell everyone he's a woman. However, I worry more about someone's mental faculties that they think this is normal behavior. This isn't any different than the woman who got a doctor to pour Draino in her eyes because she always wanted to be blind, or the woman who crimped her hair and got a shit load of spray tan because she thinks she's really black.

At some point we should stop celebrating their "bravery" and start being worried about the mental issues driving someone to do this.

7. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In A Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:57 AM
    Liked 727 Times in 402 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    Yes, this is his right to dress up like a woman, chop off his bits, and tell everyone he's a woman. However, I worry more about someone's mental faculties that they think this is normal behavior. This isn't any different than the woman who got a doctor to pour Draino in her eyes because she always wanted to be blind, or the woman who crimped her hair and got a shit load of spray tan because she thinks she's really black.

At some point we should stop celebrating their "bravery" and start being worried about the mental issues driving someone to do this.
    The same can be said of any cosmetic surgery, really. The problem isn't with how a person is, but how they feel and/or think they are. Cosmetic surgery has always seemed to me as just a bandaid for a larger problem.
    blah blah blah Devin Townsend blah blah blah

https://www.facebook.com/devintownsendexperience

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:57 AM
    Liked 415 Times in 250 Posts

It's none of our business, why. It only becomes our business when it infringes and affects our lives.

There are so many millions of things to worry about in the world before we get to THIS on the list.

And yes its MUCH different than somebody pouring Draino in their eyes because they, for whatever reason, want to be blind or even somebody getting shit loads of plastic surgery. But again...if somebody does that....None of my business. As long as you're not affecting/hurting anybody....Have at er.
    Last edited by MF5150; 03.09.16 at 05:28 PM.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 2,243 Times in 1,359 Posts

it doesn't really hurt anyone and for these people, they are fortunate to be in an inclusive artistic community where they are accepted

unfortunately they do at times have to leave those cozy confines to take part in daily life. I hope they find tolerance there

My interest in this tho, is that this is an apparently rare condition and for it to happen twice in one family I think is an intriguing set of circumstances for research. Perhaps there is something genetic?

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:58 AM
    Liked 743 Times in 410 Posts

Premium Member

Will this change lead to a Matrix 4 movie that atones for the sins of Matrix 2&3? If so, awesome.

Beyond that, who cares. Obviously if the change makes them feel better about themselves, they're not harming anyone - who really cares.
    Winners come and go; legends are forever.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.14.17 @ 06:38 PM
    Liked 753 Times in 498 Posts

The two can't even be compared.

I work in the mental health field and have had transgender clients. I also have friends who are trans, or who should have been but are now too old to be bothered.

The only mental suffering I have encountered is caused by being shamed by society. Get over it, Western World. There are numerous Indigenous populations that recognize a third gender.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    It's none of our business, why. It only becomes our business when it infringes and affects our lives.
    I agree with you to a point, but if someone is suicidal, don't we have concern for their mental health? If someone is a hoarder and living in squalor, don't we have concern for their mental health? I don't think we need some vast governmental intervention, but just as a fellow human being I think we should have some concern for others that have a mental disorder.

There are so many millions of things to worry about in the world before we get to THIS on the list.
    I agree with that. Doesn't mean we can't talk about it, though, right?

And yes its MUCH different than somebody pouring Draino in their eyes because they, for whatever reason, want to be blind or even somebody getting shit loads of plastic surgery. But again...if somebody does that....None of my business. As long as you're not affecting/hurting anybody....Have at er.
    Why is it different? One woman identifies as blind, so she gets a doctor to pour Draino in her eyes so now she can be the person she always wanted to be. She was on Dr. Phil--she's happy as can be by all appearances. The other person identifies as a woman and finds a doctor to surgically remove his penis so he can be the person he always wanted to be. He's now happy by all appearances. It's the exact same thing.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by cdnangel View Post
    The two can't even be compared.

I work in the mental health field and have had transgender clients. I also have friends who are trans, or who should have been but are now too old to be bothered.

The only mental suffering I have encountered is caused by being shamed by society. Get over it, Western World. There are numerous Indigenous populations that recognize a third gender.
    See my above post. They are exactly the same. The only difference is that one behavior (being transgender) has been normalized by, as you put it, Western culture.

As for indigenous populations, I don't understand what that has to do with anything. They also believe in the spirits of all living things. I don't think that's scientific by any means nor relevant to this instance.

Good Enough
    Last Online

11.14.17 @ 06:38 PM
    Liked 753 Times in 498 Posts

See my above post. They are exactly the same. The only difference is that one behavior (being transgender) has been normalized by, as you put it, Western culture.

As for indigenous populations, I don't understand what that has to do with anything. They also believe in the spirits of all living things. I don't think that's scientific by any means nor relevant to this instance.
    Gender is a social construct. Many Indigenous cultures are advanced enough to realize that there are more than two genders...

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 10:07 AM
    Liked 531 Times in 278 Posts

Who cares if these people are fucked in the head or not? I'm not worried about this guy/girl's mental state, as long as they're not hurting anyone and make their own choices, live and let live. Some woman wants to transplant 6 dicks onto her crotch and rename herself Dongler McSixPack, be my guest. Especially if my tax dollars aren't financing these "life choices." I'm totally indifferent to what other people do these days.

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 12:22 PM
    Liked 16,600 Times in 9,415 Posts

Check out the very young Susan Sarandon ...
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"