Favorite VH Album

Prefer DLR era but love em all
    Favorite VH Song

Can't choose. They're like fam
    Last Online

07.11.17 @ 08:44 PM
    Liked 25 Times in 12 Posts

Default Shine On You Crazy Diamond - My DLR Rarities Collection

I'm sure everyone on here has these songs already, but I've put them all together in a nifty little collection, with individual artwork and info about each track. If this post is breaking any forum rules (I'm too lazy to read), shut 'er down. I'm gonna post this on a couple Roth forums too.

I was inspired to put this together by the last Roth Show podcast, with that killer acoustic blues number "Ain't No Christmas". This is by no means a definitive collection of rarities, but the best of what I could find, in the highest quality possible. If you have a higher quality copy of any of the mp3s included here, feel free to shoot me a PM and I will update the compilation.

https://mega.nz/#!y4ggBAia!06KLUPx50...9JTE15cNL92eLU

Here is the info txt included:

David Lee Roth
    Shine On You Crazy Diamond
    Rare & Unreleased Collection

1. Angel Eyes
    Source: Cherokee Studios Demo
    Quality: lossless
    Info: This unreleased original song was written by David Lee Roth and was believed to be recorded in both 1973 at Cherokee Studios in Chatsworth, CA, and again in 1975 at an unknown location. There is no known public performance of this song, but it was played once backstage for some friends in the band's club days of the mid-1970s. Although they had originally planned to include it on Van Halen II, the band decided against doing so because it was too different from the other songs being recorded for that album.

2. 79th & Sunset
    Source: The Old Testament, Disc 5
    Info: This unaccompanied acoustic Humble Pie cover song was recorded during an interview with Jim Ladd on KMET, Los Angeles, CA, in 1982. At the end of the song, Dave did a plug for KMET, which is not available on any known recordings. The song is sometimes known as "Real Go Getter" or "Cookie Box."

3. Tin Cup Chalice
    Source: http://www.wastinaway.net/audio/DLR-TinCupChalice.mp3
    Quality: 128kbps mp3
    Info: This was recorded live on WRIF 101.1, in Detroit, Michigan on Friday, May 24 2002, the day of the second show of the Roth/Hagar tour.

4. Take Sarava
    Source: http://content.sitezoogle.com.s3.ama...ing/915235.mp3
    Quality: 128kbps mp3
    Info: This was recorded with Jeff Falkowski on an unspecified date. According to Falkowski’s Myspace, he is David Lee Roth’s guitar teacher. They are rumored to have cut a few tracks, but Whether they will surface or not is anybody's guess.

5. The New York City Way
    Source: YouTube (The Roth Show - Top 40...)
    Quality: 192kbps mp3
    Info: One of the songs included in his Top 40... Roth Show podcast from February 22, 2016.

6. Ain't No Christmas
    Source: YouTube (The Roth Show - Top 40...)
    Info: One of the songs included in his Top 40... Roth Show podcast from February 22, 2016. There has been massive spectulation as to whether the lyrics are in reference to Van Halen. Initially when asked for comment, DLR's management told VHND, “It’s poetry. It has nothing to do with Van Halen.” 5 days later, DLR himself told VHND, “On second thought, if all work is autobiographic, maybe this song is about Van Halen…”

7. One Piece Thermo-Molded Country Plastic Chair
    Source: YouTube (The Roth Show: Episode 3)
    Info: A 2012 song from Dave dedicated to all who were affected by and recovering from Hurricane Sandy.

8. Mississippi Power
    Source: She's My Machine CD Single
    Info: This is a "Your Filthy Little Mouth" b-side, released on the "She's My Machine" single.

9. Don't Piss Me Off
    Source: The Best CD
    Info: Recorded in 1997 specifically for "The Best" compilation album.

10. Thug Pop
    Source: Diamond Dave CD
    Info: Co-written by John 5, this is the last recorded track featuring the DLR Band.

11. Ain't That Peculiar
    Source: Bad Habits/Ain't That Peculiar CDR
    Info: Extremely rare internal CD-R of two unreleased tracks from Diamond Dave Productions. "Bad Habits" later wound up on the Diamond Dave album. "Ain't That Peculiar" is a cover of a Marvin Gaye song from 1965, and has never been released anywhere else.

12. Ashley Abernathy
    Source: https://www.songsoflove.org/jukeboxm...nathy-Roth.mp3
    Quality: 160kbps mp3
    Info: In 1999, Dave contacted the Songs of Love Foundation after reading an article in a local New York newspaper, asking if he would be able to sing a song for an ailing child. Expressing his desire to “do the right thing”, he went on to record a “Song of Love” for 9-year-old Ashley Abernathy who was battling leukemia.

13. Happy
    Source: YouTube (The Roth Show: Happy [David Lee Roth])
    Info: This acapella cover of Pharrell Williams's "Happy" was recorded in 2014 at Onkio Haus in Ginza, Tokyo. 99% of the sounds you hear are Dave's voice, apart from some synthesizer cellos and a litte bit of piano. The end of the clip features Dave backstage singing "Happy" with acapella (or Vocal Play) group Naturally 7.

14. Shine A Little More
    Source: Diamond Dave’s No Holds Bar-B-Que EP
    Info: Cover of ELO's "Shine A Little Love", recorded at Henson Studios sometime in 2001-2002

15. Baker Street
    Info: Cover of Gerry Rafferty's "Baker Street", recorded at Henson Studios sometime in 2001-2002

16. Mean Street
    Info: Acoustic version, recorded at the Mojo Dojo sometime in 2001-2002

17. Exactly Like You
    Info: Cover of Django Reinhardt's "Exactly Like You", recorded at the Mojo Dojo sometime in 2001-2002

18. Lime House Blues
    Info: Cover of Django Reinhardt's "Lime House Blues", recorded at the Mojo Dojo sometime in 2001-2002

19. Gonna Take A Lot of Drugs
    Source: Warner Demos Remastered
    Info: A parody of Warner Bros labelmate Nicolette Larson’s 1978 hit, “Lotta Love", featuring Dave and Michael Anthony. The tune was tacked onto the end of the band’s 1977 Warner Bros demo tape.

2. The Following 7 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:05 AM
    Liked 1,042 Times in 525 Posts

Nice one - thanks

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little guitars
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:59 AM
    Liked 1,151 Times in 516 Posts

Very cool , thank 1984rocks

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little guitars
    Last Online

Info: A parody of Warner Bros labelmate Nicolette Larson’s 1978 hit, “Lotta Love", featuring Dave and Michael Anthony. The tune was tacked onto the end of the band’s 1977 Warner Bros demo tape.

usual , there wasn't any information about who singing with dave .

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:32 AM
    Liked 866 Times in 508 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Van Halen’s Parody Of Labelmate Nicolette Larson: “It’s Gonna Take A Lot Of Drugs”

On Greg Renoff’s new Van Halen blog, Van Halen Rising: How A Southern California Backyard Party Band Saved Heavy Metal, there’s a fun little anecdote from producer Ted Templeman and engineer Donn Landee, who explain the origins of Van Halen’s parody of Nicolette Larson’s 1978 hit, “Lotta Love,” written by another labelmate, Neil Young, and reworked as “It’s Gonna Take a Lotta Drugs.” The tune was then tacked onto the end of the band’s 1977 Warner Bros demo tape:

Landee: Ted and I were working on Nicolette Larson’s album. I let them hear it the tape, and David [Lee Roth] said, “Hey can I have a copy of that? We want to try something.” So David and Mike [Anthony] did “Gonna Take a Lotta Drugs” to that tape. When we played it back, David and Mike said, “Do you think Ted’s gonna get mad about this?”

Templeman: “I had been gone from the studio. I had a meeting or something. So the guys went in there and wrote this song. [sings] “It’s gonna take a lotta drugs to get us through the night!” Donn put them on Nicolette’s track. [laughs] They loved that. I came back, and they were all nervous. But when Donn played it, I fucking cracked up.”

There were all kinds of connections between the two labelmates at the time.

First, Nicolette Larson just happened to be Ted Templeman’s girlfriend. She had also been a backup singer for Little Feat, another Warner Bros. band who Ted and Donn Landee had previously worked with (Templeman produced a few of their early albums, Sailin’ Shoes and Time Loves A Hero).

Eddie Van Halen had contributed a guitar solo to “Can’t Get Away From You, on Larson’s album, Nicolette, which came out on September 29, 1978; apparently David Lee Roth was upset that Eddie had played guitar for anyone other than their band, and ultimately Eddie’s name was kept out of the credits because, as Larson says in this interview, Eddie “didn’t want his name used because they were Van Halen and that’s all there was to it. That was when they were just starting, and they were very much into being just Van Halen and nothing else.”

Van Halen’s debut album had been released months earlier, on February 10, 1978.

She also says Young had already recorded his own version of “Lotta Love” but apparently wasn’t planning on putting it out. When Larson expressed interest in the song, he gave it to her to record.

Larson: “So I recorded it, and got it all ready to put out, then at the very last minute he changed his mind on Comes A Time and put it on that. So we both released it the very same day, actually. I changed it around quite a lot from Neil’s version. His is a lot different with all the ‘la la la la’s’ at the beginning.”

Larson was later a maid of honor for bride Valerie Bertinelli, who married Eddie Van Halen on April 11, 1981. She died on December 16, 1997, as a result of complications arising from cerebral edema triggered by liver failure. She was only 45.

Now we’re kinda wonderin’ what ol’ Neil thought of Van Halen’s version…

http://nightflight.com/van-halens-pa...-lot-of-drugs/

7. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by vaijuju View Post

usual , there wasn't any information about who singing with dave .
    Got that info from a really neat little article: http://nightflight.com/van-halens-pa...-lot-of-drugs/

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

UncleCrappy beat me to it by 1 minute.

10. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies & Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:54 AM
    Liked 5,127 Times in 2,425 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 1984rocks View Post
    Got that info from a really neat little article: http://nightflight.com/van-halens-pa...-lot-of-drugs/
    and Ted discussed the song at the VHR book signing.

1977 these dudes young and new having fun in the studio. good times.

Last edited by thismusicsux; 03.03.16 at 09:19 AM.

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 18,159 Times in 8,975 Posts

I can think of two DLR songs that I could add to your collection if you would like me to send them to you. (you might already have them, let me know.)

Cruel Obsession...a song from the YFLM sessions that never made it onto an official release. It would have been by FAR the best song on the album, don't know how he left it off. B+

Shine The Light...I am not 100% sure, but I think it is from the YFLM sessions as well, but this is in more of a demo format, not as clean as Cruel Obsession. A decent song, not great. C+

I can also think of a couple of other covers that have been unofficially released...Kill the Guy and Crosstown Traffic.

Not wanting to hijack the thread, just offering to share if you don't have them.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

What's that Jimmy Buffet cover he did, DD? That would fit too.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little guitars
    Last Online

16. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by UncleCrappy View Post
    What's that Jimmy Buffet cover he did, DD? That would fit too.
    Wait. Nevermind. Tin Cup Chalice. He's already got that one listed.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    I can think of two DLR songs that I could add to your collection if you would like me to send them to you. (you might already have them, let me know.)

Cruel Obsession...a song from the YFLM sessions that never made it onto an official release. It would have been by FAR the best song on the album, don't know how he left it off. B+

Shine The Light...I am not 100% sure, but I think it is from the YFLM sessions as well, but this is in more of a demo format, not as clean as Cruel Obsession. A decent song, not great. C+

I can also think of a couple of other covers that have been unofficially released...Kill the Guy and Crosstown Traffic.

Not wanting to hijack the thread, just offering to share if you don't have them.
    Please, hijack away! Thanks for the suggestions DD. I couldn't find those songs anywhere other than YouTube, and I was kinda holding out for better versions to surface someday. But I'll gladly take whatever you'd be willing to send me and give it a re-listen.

I also decided against including "Talkin' Christmas Blues" and the video vaijuju suggested. I love everything Dave does, but the replay value on both of those is really low for me.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:36 AM
    Liked 18,159 Times in 8,975 Posts

The Cruel Obsession one I have is pretty clean, almost album quality.

The other three mentioned are of various "eh" quality.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    The Cruel Obsession one I have is pretty clean, almost album quality.

The other three mentioned are of various "eh" quality.
    Send me Cruel Obsession if you don't mind.
    Last edited by 1984rocks; 03.03.16 at 01:09 PM.