Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:05 PM
    Liked 11,743 Times in 6,505 Posts

Premium Member

Default God and Gravitational Waves

Fascinating stuff

God and gravitational waves

Feb. 26, 2016 -

Spirited Debate: Astrophysicist Dr. Jeff Zweerink from Reasons to Believe says discovery of gravitational waves affirms the existence of a Creator

"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:03 PM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

That's deep. Fascinating, yes.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Liked 2,383 Times in 1,487 Posts

Premium Member

Its all about faith....its a brilliant machine and it started someplace by something.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

4. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:48 PM
    Liked 2,218 Times in 1,118 Posts

Premium Member

Interesting discussion. I agree that the Bibles description of the origin of the universe is consistent with what we know scientifically, but that's only telling part of the story. Obviously the Bible "doesn't use those words," but he's taking a literal interpretation of Genesis. I would assume that when we take that same logic and apply it to the creation of man, suddenly we'll hear about how it's an allegory and not to be taken literally. I don't think we can have it both ways.

That being said, everything we know now points to an origin to the universe that started with the Big Bang. He's right in that scientists have marveled at not just the uniformity of the laws of physics, but the mathematical values for all of the forces in the universe (weak, strong, etc.) are all set precisely to the exact level for the universe to exist. In other words, if the pull of gravity was just slightly stronger, the universe would collapse. If the force that bonds electrons and protons were off in any way, we couldn't have matter. It is this way for every force in the universe, which begs the question: how did the universe get it exactly right?

There are two main answers:

1) God created the universe. If someone designed the universe, it would explain why everything is set perfectly for it to exist. That creator must be infinite and exist outside our concept of space and time.

2) There are infinite universes. This one is only perfect because we exist in it. The other infinite examples of universes that didn't work still took place, but no one was ever there to see them fail. Even still, this still creates the problem of who or what created the infinite universes, and what architecture outside of theses infinite bubbles allows them to exist?

So you either believe something outside of space and time created the universe once so it could exist, or you believe that some mechanism without intelligent control spontaneously created an infinite number of universes.

Essentially, there's no reason for anyone to snub their nose at people of faith, because science's answers require just as much suspension of disbelief.

Now, whether any of that means the Creator (if he/she/it exists) is the Christian creator is an entirely different debate.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 12:49 AM
    Liked 7,838 Times in 4,574 Posts

Premium Member

And let's not forget aliens.

Something created them too. And given their apparent superiority over us...they must be closer to the "source".

Favorite VH Album

=VH= II
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 11:14 PM
    Liked 787 Times in 378 Posts

Premium Member

Fascinating the recent discovery of gravitational waves. Einstein wasn't foolin'.

Science however will neither prove nor disprove the existence of God. Pretty silly I think when people on either side of the debate make those claims.

Often when I hear such things I'll think of what Paul said in Romans...

"For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. Ever since the creation of the world his eternal power and divine nature, invisible though they are, have been understood and seen through the things he has made. So they are without excuse;"
    - Rom 1:19-20
    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

9. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:47 PM
    Liked 10,840 Times in 5,702 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    Fascinating stuff

God and gravitational waves

Feb. 26, 2016 -

Spirited Debate: Astrophysicist Dr. Jeff Zweerink from Reasons to Believe says discovery of gravitational waves affirms the existence of a Creator

Where's Motherload to comment on this?
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:47 PM
    Liked 10,840 Times in 5,702 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wruff_ajax View Post
    Fascinating the recent discovery of gravitational waves. Einstein wasn't foolin'.

Science however will neither prove nor disprove the existence of God. Pretty silly I think when people on either side of the debate make those claims.

Often when I hear such things I'll think of what Paul said in Romans...

"For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. Ever since the creation of the world his eternal power and divine nature, invisible though they are, have been understood and seen through the things he has made. So they are without excuse;"

- Rom 1:19-20
    I'm not religious in the traditional sense. I think that Jesus and God's message has been corrupted over time by unscrupulous individuals that use the fear of God and his retribution for their own nefarious purposes.

However, when I look at the bio diversity on Earth and I look to the sky at night, there is no way anyone will convince me that this all "happened by chance." To believe that is to believe that the Universe is one big giant accident. Sorry, I don't buy that and to me that type of thinking is illogical. To put it another way, what has the greater probability? This all being a mistake, or by design? I'll go with the latter.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

12. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Get The Show On The Road View Post
    I'm not religious in the traditional sense. I think that Jesus and God's message has been corrupted over time by unscrupulous individuals that use the fear of God and his retribution for their own nefarious purposes.

However, when I look at the bio diversity on Earth and I look to the sky at night, there is no way anyone will convince me that this all "happened by chance." To believe that is to believe that the Universe is one big giant accident. Sorry, I don't buy that and to me that type of thinking is illogical. To put it another way, what has the greater probability? This all being a mistake, or by design? I'll go with the latter.
    Couldn't agree more with the bolded part. That's why I punt when it comes to religion and simply try to follow the Golden Rule.

And careful about mentioning Motherload with regards to this thread. Feelings will get hurt.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

14. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT/Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:05 PM
    Liked 627 Times in 310 Posts

While I was rather underwhelmed by the video/Zweerink's presentation, I do agree with a good bit what's been said by others in this thread. Reconciling faith and science has been hard for me, but now that I'm actively studying and improving my knowledge of both, it's been better.
    Wruff_ajax, I couldn't put it any better.
    I'm just here.

Hotty Toddy, gosh almighty,
    Who the hell are we? Hey!

Flim flam, bim bam,
    Ole Miss, by damn!

"I can't complain but sometimes I still do" - Joe Walsh

16. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 11:02 PM
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,256 Posts

These Gravitational God Waves........... what are the breaking points on height? Reports on the Aggro? I can only imagine that seeing these are Choka, but you don't want a bunch of Barney's attacking these massive waves from God, at once because there is gonna be way to much Chowder to avoid. I'm thinking a clean setup will result in excellent cranking and the barrels.....please.... absolutely stellar. Choka without a doubt.
    But, I'm sure since these are the God waves, there are gonna be so many Frube's out there dude......just to say they were out in it. But, if these Frube's are not gonna get in the green room, they may as well stay home. They're nothing but wannabe junkyard dogs.

I do not see these waves being Mushburger. It's gonna be the opposite. If you surf bro, bring your gun, lets get inside the keg and finish it out with a kick out. No foam for us, bros.

HH<-----Knows some shit about surfing AND the lingo.

I don't know shit about surfing. I just googled all that bullshit. -----------------------------
    Last edited by Hurricane Halen; 03.02.16 at 12:57 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Halen View Post
    These Gravitational God Waves........... what are the breaking points on height? Reports on the Aggro? I can only imagine that seeing these are Choka, but you don't want a bunch of Barney's attacking these massive waves from God, at once because there is gonna be way to much Chowder to avoid. I'm thinking a clean setup will result in excellent cranking and the barrels.....please.... absolutely stellar. Choka without a doubt.
    But, I'm sure since these are the God waves, there are gonna be so many Frube's out there dude......just to say they were out in it. But, if these Frube's are not gonna get in the green room, they may as well stay home. They're nothing but wannabe junkyard dogs.

I do not see these waves being Mushburger. It's gonna be the opposite. If you surf bro, bring your gun, lets get inside the keg and finish it out with a kick out. No foam for us, bros.

HH<-----Knows some shit about surfing AND the lingo.

I don't know shit about surfing. I just googled all that bullshit. -----------------------------
    Right on,right on!

* whispering *

I have no idea what HH is taking about.

Sent from my iPhone
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

19. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:53 PM
    Liked 1,625 Times in 871 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by hagarfn View Post
    Right on,right on!

* whispering *

I have no idea what HH is taking about.

Sent from my iPhone
    Read it again in Brody's (Swayze-Point Break) voice. It'll all make sense then. Amirite HH?
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

21. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

All of them
    Favorite VH Song

All of them
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 11:02 PM
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,256 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Van Halen View Post
    Read it again in Brody's (Swayze-Point Break) voice. It'll all make sense then. Amirite HH?
    10-4, sir, err, dude!

Jeff Spicoli<--------all I need are some tasty waves, a coll buzz and I'm fine------------

Bodhi<----------- Look at it! It's a once in a lifetime opportunity, man! Let me go out there and let me get one wave, just one wave before you take me in. I mean, come on man, where I am I gonna go? Cliffs on both sides! I'm not gonna paddle my way to New Zealand! Come on, compadre. Come on!----------
    Last edited by Hurricane Halen; 03.02.16 at 07:53 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:03 PM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

Life sure has a sick sense of humor.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA