Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 37
  1. #1
    Atomic Punk I Coulda Hada VH's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.29.00
    Location
    Land O' Lakers
    Posts
    30,540
    Favorite VH Album

    The First One
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 11:49 PM
    Likes
    10,374
    Liked 16,585 Times in 9,406 Posts

    Default What are your thoughts on the following three Van Halen songs?

    1. (Oh) Pretty Woman
    2. Jump
    3. Why Can't This Be Love?

    These are three of VH's most popular songs and have been radio and concert staples since they were all released back in 1982, 1984 and 1986, respectively.

    My thoughts:

    1. (Oh) Pretty Woman - it's never done much for me and has always been one of my least favorite tunes from the Dave-era. Intruder and the video do help make it more palatable, though.

    2. Jump - Van Halen's most well-known and overplayed song. I like it way more than (Oh) Pretty Woman, although it is probably my least favorite song on 1984. The music and guitar solo are much better than Dave's lyrics.

    3. Why Can't This Be Love? - VH's most popular song from the Sammy-era. I've just never warmed up to this tune. Much like Jump, probably my least favorite song on an otherwise outstanding album. Pretty "vanilla" for Van Halen.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

    "If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

    "Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

    "Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

  2. #2
    Atomic Punk Dave's Dreidel's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.10.05
    Age
    47
    Location
    Kate Upton's Closet
    Posts
    37,945
    Favorite VH Album

    Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

    The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 03:33 PM
    Likes
    3,517
    Liked 18,191 Times in 8,988 Posts

    Default

    Like all three, but not my favorites. And sick of all three.

    They had a "two for Tuesday" last week of Van Halen on the local rock station here and they played...Jump...and Pretty Woman.

    Bleh.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

    Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

    David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

    Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

    Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

    DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

  3. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  4. #3
    Atomic Punk I Coulda Hada VH's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.29.00
    Location
    Land O' Lakers
    Posts
    30,540
    Favorite VH Album

    The First One
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 11:49 PM
    Likes
    10,374
    Liked 16,585 Times in 9,406 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Like all three, but not my favorites. And sick of all three.

    They had a "two for Tuesday" last week of Van Halen on the local rock station here and they played...Jump...and Pretty Woman.

    Bleh.
    Don't you hate that?
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

    "If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

    "Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

    "Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

  5. #4
    Hang 'Em High Hurricane Halen's Avatar
    Join Date
    07.17.03
    Age
    49
    Location
    Shreveport Louisiana
    Posts
    6,600
    Favorite VH Album

    All of them
    Favorite VH Song

    All of them
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 10:34 PM
    Likes
    3,044
    Liked 2,299 Times in 1,256 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    Don't you hate that?
    This one particular rock station here must have gotten RWTD because that's all they seem to play.
    But, this other station goes off the beaten path and they'll deep cut it.

    Guess which station I go to 1st?

    HH<-----doesn't not understand DJ's----------
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    VH LINKS Resident Paramedic/Firefighter
    #officialhashtaghater
    Copyright holder of all things, "<-----------------"

    UC<------Goal in life to be included in an HH sig-----

  6. #5
    Atomic Punk I Coulda Hada VH's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.29.00
    Location
    Land O' Lakers
    Posts
    30,540
    Favorite VH Album

    The First One
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 11:49 PM
    Likes
    10,374
    Liked 16,585 Times in 9,406 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane Halen View Post
    This one particular rock station here must have gotten RWTD because that's all they seem to play.
    But, this other station goes off the beaten path and they'll deep cut it.

    Guess which station I go to 1st?

    HH<-----doesn't not understand DJ's----------
    Deep cuts rule.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

    "If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

    "Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

    "Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

  7. #6
    Sinner's Swing! UncleCrappy's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.14.12
    Location
    Great Lakes
    Posts
    2,706
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 05:16 PM
    Likes
    627
    Liked 866 Times in 508 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default

    I'm pretty much the same as the OP in my feelings towards them. I will say, though, that if it hadn't been for Van Halen doing Pretty Woman, I would have never sought out Roy Orbison and the artists that he led me to. That would have been a shame. I can say the same for You Really Got Me and the Kinks - Van Halen led me to them.
    Last edited by UncleCrappy; 02.28.16 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Not enough swagger

  8. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  9. #7
    Top Of The World NDL's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.04
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    191
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Me Wise Magic & Summer Nights
    Last Online

    12.13.17 @ 12:32 AM
    Likes
    45
    Liked 67 Times in 35 Posts

    Default

    Pretty Woman is not something i'd look to listen to, but if it's on the radio, I won't change the station. Though it wasn't written by VH, it very much embodies the VH spirit.

    Jump is a great tune, but I haven't listened to it in years because of overexposure. Love the guitar solo. Not one of my favorite tunes on the album; believe it or not, I like some of the deeper cuts like Top Jimmy. House of Pain is still one of my favorites, including Girl Gone Bad, which leads me into...

    Why Can't This Be Love. I bought the 45, and played it over and over. The shock still hasn't set in. Back to back, burn-the-house-down, raw EVH, House of Pain...and...two...years...later....WCTBL!???? Sammy's vocals were great. But that's it; like The Inside, I never got this tune, and still haven't.

  10. #8
    Hang 'Em High Reckless Fable's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.30.02
    Age
    40
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    6,501
    Favorite VH Album

    All of them
    Favorite VH Song

    Girl Gone Bad, Hang 'em High
    Last Online

    11.28.17 @ 10:56 AM
    Likes
    2,246
    Liked 2,848 Times in 1,230 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    1. (Oh) Pretty Woman
    2. Jump
    3. Why Can't This Be Love?

    These are three of VH's most popular songs and have been radio and concert staples since they were all released back in 1982, 1984 and 1986, respectively.

    My thoughts:

    1. (Oh) Pretty Woman - it's never done much for me and has always been one of my least favorite tunes from the Dave-era. Intruder and the video do help make it more palatable, though.

    2. Jump - Van Halen's most well-known and overplayed song. I like it way more than (Oh) Pretty Woman, although it is probably my least favorite song on 1984. The music and guitar solo are much better than Dave's lyrics.

    3. Why Can't This Be Love? - VH's most popular song from the Sammy-era. I've just never warmed up to this tune. Much like Jump, probably my least favorite song on an otherwise outstanding album. Pretty "vanilla" for Van Halen.
    I dig 'em all.

    I love "Jump." Without hesitation or apology. It makes me super fucking happy. I actually search for it some times and press play. On purpose. Every time it makes me happy. If I really need a kick, I listen to the badass "1984" intro. Then I'm soaring.

    I am antihipster.

  11. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  12. #9
    Atomic Punk japeape's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.05.15
    Posts
    7,917
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 09:17 PM
    Likes
    5,614
    Liked 7,645 Times in 4,017 Posts

    Default

    Pretty Woman: I still like it because it exudes that old CVH charm!
    Intruder is fucking vicious, so i equate PW with having Intruder tacked in front of it,
    plus i loved the video.
    When you're a kid, that video made you say, "VH is out there, but in a good way."

    Jump: Must admit, with the title (loved the title before hearing it), i expected a kick-ass
    flying Eddie scissor kick rocker.
    When it debuted on MTV, it was a 'WTF?' kind of moment for me.
    Always thought the synth line was too ordinary, though i do like the warm tone of it (the
    buzzzzzzzzz between the notes).
    In a weird way, that simple synth line was playing trademark eddie chords (actually, they kinda
    reference the Panama chords).

    Liked the solo, the song not so much.
    However, it was much better than....

    WCTBL: Just fucking horrible, horrible stuff.
    Just when you think it can't get any worse, the scat section begins.
    As a young fan with a VH history, that song just made me shake my head & say,
    "It's all over." (at least for me, at that time).

  13. #10
    Baluchitherium
    Join Date
    10.28.12
    Location
    Mean Street
    Posts
    4,202
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

    08.21.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Likes
    1,841
    Liked 2,028 Times in 1,265 Posts

    Default

    PW is a great tune. Sick of it by now, but still good.

    Jump is good. Super catchy, great solo, but sick of it.

    WCTBL, never liked it. Never understood how it got to be so loved, or charted so high, either.
    I did like the concept during the III tour. All three singing a verse. That was cool.

  14. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  15. #11
    Atomic Punk I Coulda Hada VH's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.29.00
    Location
    Land O' Lakers
    Posts
    30,540
    Favorite VH Album

    The First One
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 11:49 PM
    Likes
    10,374
    Liked 16,585 Times in 9,406 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PrideofPasadena View Post
    PW is a great tune. Sick of it by now, but still good.

    Jump is good. Super catchy, great solo, but sick of it.

    WCTBL, never liked it. Never understood how it got to be so loved, or charted so high, either.
    I did like the concept during the III tour. All three singing a verse. That was cool.
    WCTBL? would have been much better as a guitar song instead of a keyboard song. It just needs more balls.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

    "If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

    "Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

    "Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

  16. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


  17. #12
    Atomic Punk japeape's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.05.15
    Posts
    7,917
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 09:17 PM
    Likes
    5,614
    Liked 7,645 Times in 4,017 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    WCTBL? would have been much better as a guitar song instead of a keyboard song. It just needs more balls.
    I shouldn't say it's horrible, just not my thang.

    As a pure pop tune by any other band, it would be fine.
    But Van Halen....

    You gotta understand, a new VH song for me was something like HAIL, back in the day.

  18. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


  19. #13
    Baluchitherium
    Join Date
    10.28.12
    Location
    Mean Street
    Posts
    4,202
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

    08.21.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Likes
    1,841
    Liked 2,028 Times in 1,265 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    WCTBL? would have been much better as a guitar song instead of a keyboard song. It just needs more balls.
    Much better without the keys. And that goofy bridge part.

  20. #14
    Atomic Punk I Coulda Hada VH's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.29.00
    Location
    Land O' Lakers
    Posts
    30,540
    Favorite VH Album

    The First One
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 11:49 PM
    Likes
    10,374
    Liked 16,585 Times in 9,406 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    I shouldn't say it's horrible, just not my thang.

    As a pure pop tune by any other band, it would be fine.
    But Van Halen....

    You gotta understand, a new VH song for me was something like HAIL, back in the day.
    I think WCTBL? was just too big of a departure from 1984. I feel the same way about (Oh)Pretty Woman coming after Fair Warning.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

    "If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

    "Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

    "Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

  21. #15
    Baluchitherium
    Join Date
    10.28.12
    Location
    Mean Street
    Posts
    4,202
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

    08.21.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Likes
    1,841
    Liked 2,028 Times in 1,265 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    I shouldn't say it's horrible, just not my thang.

    As a pure pop tune by any other band, it would be fine.
    But Van Halen....

    You gotta understand, a new VH song for me was something like HAIL, back in the day.
    Yeah, the song is not horrible, a decent pop song. It's just going from DDL's to that...it's horrible.

  22. The Following Member Likes This Post:


 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Thoughts about a New Van Halen Record?
    By cpusolutions2001 in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05.19.10, 08:54 AM
  2. DVD- Van Halen: The Early Years. Thoughts?
    By sphill in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01.19.05, 01:14 PM
  3. DVD- Van Halen: The Early Years. Thoughts?
    By sphill in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01.11.05, 07:45 PM
  4. Van Halen News...your thoughts...
    By AlexFan in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06.08.02, 12:30 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •