Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Eruption
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:33 PM
    Liked 266 Times in 142 Posts

Premium Member

Default Best source for a beak headstock maple neck?

I really want a Kramer beak headstock neck on my Franky, but I don't want to pay $500 for a real one on eBay. The generic ones I see there look to be a firm C-shape, which I also don't want. Well, a small C would be ok, but 50's Les Paul C-shape is not cool. Anything out there besides Musikraft?

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 04:54 AM
    Liked 461 Times in 200 Posts

I have a musikraft on mine and its perfect shape... I recommend that for a beak for Franky.

Rob

Eruption
    Last Online

Premium Member

What's that neck profile like? I love the neck on my EVH Striped Series Bee. But it would take a lot of work to fit one of those on my Franky body because of the truss wheel. Is the Musikraft's profile like the EVH Striped Series?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 07:37 AM
    Liked 1,608 Times in 744 Posts

Premium Member

I'm pretty sure MK will make the neck any profile you like. They're great necks. I've got 4 of them & I love them.

If your not sure, ask them and they will help you out.
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

the profile is very thin. I'll take some pics and show you. The beak headstock is absolutely perfect. MK is the way to go and it will fit. I had to do a little tweaking / shimming but it fit and plays perfect and is
    absolutely the right shape HS. No need to pay fleabay prices on a real Kramer neck. These are the real deal for sure.

Give em a call

Rob

Eruption
    Last Online

Premium Member

Ok, thanks. Mean Street quoted me $185 today, but I didn't ask details on the profile. I've dumped so much money into this guitar already because it wasn't built right and, as you know, it's always more expensive to make something right later on than to do it right the first time. After the first pro neck shim, bridge bolt move and setup, it lasted about eight months before it just went totally out of whack again. Last time I gigged with it, it started to not feel right after about an hour. But I so love the paint job and it really plays well. Just want to make it better.

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:51 AM
    Liked 379 Times in 225 Posts

There was a real B series beak neck on the bay recently asking $275 I think.

Personally I'd get the EBMM profile from MK. Or perhaps ask them to make a period correct stock B series Kramer neck. I here that's the shape that ended up on the EBMM. Never played a B series so I can't say for sure. I've never been in a room with a Kramer that didn't have a rosewood board. That ain't what Ed used and I wasn't even going to touch them. Had to build one myself about eight years ago to right that wrong.

I've got three different aftermarket necks. Next will be MK for sure.

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,355 Times in 3,194 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Default Best source for a beak headstock maple neck?

Quote Originally Posted by AFU View Post

Personally I'd get the EBMM profile from MK. Or perhaps ask them to make a period correct stock B series Kramer neck. I here that's the shape that ended up on the EBMM. Never played a B series so I can't say for sure. I've never been in a room with a Kramer that didn't have a rosewood board. That ain't what Ed used and I wasn't even going to touch them. Had to build one myself about eight years ago to right that wrong.

Be careful with vintage Kramer necks. The profile is pretty thin on the necks and they are heavy. I have 3 beak kramers and they are a challenge to play. Of course it depends on the nut but I can't play my 86 imperial then play one of those. I flub notes like a motherfucker.

The b series neck is nothing like a ebmm. The hockey stick necks are comparable but not identical.

Sent from my iPhone using swagger

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by AFU View Post

thats what I requested for my Frankie with I spoke with Scott from MK.... I asked for the EBMM profile and not only does it look EXACT.... it feels amazing. Love that neck

Rob

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    Be careful with vintage Kramer necks. The profile is pretty thin on the necks and they are heavy. I have 3 beak kramers and they are a challenge to play. Of course it depends on the nut but I can't play my 86 imperial then play one of those. I flub notes like a motherfucker.

The b series neck is nothing like a ebmm. The hockey stick necks are comparable but not identical.

That's a great point. I used to play Kramer's a lot. Loved 'em.
    I found now though as my arsenal expanded over the years, the old Kramer's I rarely play, I find harder to get used to now.
    Like Fuddman says, I find I flub notes!
    But..If I do play the Kramer's for an extended period, man, I just love the way they feel overall, but over time my hands have changed a bit. I tend to go for fatter necks now.
    Just my two cents, but I'd skip Ebay, and just comb Craigslist.
    The think is Beak necks came on a lot of the lower end Kramer Focus guitars....Maybe some of their other cheaper models too, though I'd avoid those Vangard's or whatever they were called.
    Locally I saw an 80's vintage Kramer Focus (Essentially the Strat clone model going for $150 bucks! I should have pulled the trigger if only for the Floyd Rose, the neck, and the pickup!
    I would have sold or junked the body to be honest 9depending on the quality...Some were sketchy), but for a part out guitar, you can easily make some money back by parting out.
    Sometimes there are those necks alone for sale by others with the same idea for little money as well.
    Just a thought.

Eruption
    Last Online

Premium Member

AFAIK, all the beak stocks on the Focus and Striker series were rosewood fingerboards, which I don't want. The all maple boards are the ones going for $500 on eBay now. I regret selling the one I had about 17 yrs. ago, but I bought the whole guitar for $220 and make about $600 in profit by parting it out on eBay.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

That's right Rick, and that's the way they were advertised as well, but there were in fact some that made it through as maple boards...Actually one piece rock maple. The one that just sold in my area was in fact all maple. Most of the maple boards were found on Pacers on up. Some of them with birds eye too. Lovely necks.
    I was surprised that the maple beak neck on my Franky was from a Focus. I actually recollected it being from a Pacer, but I noticed several weeks ago that when I sanded the headstock and refinished it, there's still a shadow there where the decal once was.
    This variant very well may have been due to some of those internal issues Kramer had. I had heard rumors over the years that some departments would pillage from others because of some supply/quota problems.
    The beak neck on my Franky is a one piece maple with the skunkstripe. I'ts still one on my favorite necks. I did bugger it up a little years ago though. I used it on another guitar for some time, and I can't remember how it happened...Think it fell over and clipped some drum hardware, but it had quite a large ugly gouge out of the fatter part of the contour.
    It kinda bugged me, so I drum sanded it to make it look a little nicer again. It change the look a bit...More like a Pensa Suhr profile, but it's still a great looking neck. Just real worn after all these years. Oh yeah! It's also missing the 22nd fret now too! lol!
    That was my fault. I had it hanging on my shop wall for a while, and one day I went to grab it, and it fell off the hook and landed on the concrete floor, and cracked the tounge into the fret slot.
    With classic EVH philosophy in mind, I japanese sawed the rest of it off! Part of the reason it now lives on an Eddie style guitar! WTF. It still plays great, and I don't miss the 22nd. fret at all really.
    Last edited by we die young; 03.03.16 at 01:25 PM.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Hey.
    Here's a shot of a guitar a guy built.
    It's actually a Baretta body, but it was a rosewood. He put an old maple Vangard neck on it.

I'm just looking at another post of a guy selling a Focus 211S with a maple board, but I'm just doing some research. It's claimed to be from 1989....I'm not positive on the date though.....Think it's a bit earlier, but my point being that they do show up from time to time in different incarnations, and Ebay is not the way I'd go. Most people going through Ebay know exactly what they have, and are trying to get the most out of it. Cl, Kijiji, etc....Often folks just need money, and will post an add on a whim. Hell...I've done it a few times over the past couple years too!
    Last edited by we die young; 03.03.16 at 02:03 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,355 Times in 3,194 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
    AFAIK, all the beak stocks on the Focus and Striker series were rosewood fingerboards, which I don't want. The all maple boards are the ones going for $500 on eBay now. I regret selling the one I had about 17 yrs. ago, but I bought the whole guitar for $220 and make about $600 in profit by parting it out on eBay.
    See if you can find a striker neck or a focus neck. They are identical to the American ones and it'll save you some coin. If you can buy a striker guitar with a maple neck do it. It'll be cheaper than buying a neck.

Last Online

11.16.17 @ 07:07 PM
    Liked 212 Times in 103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    Hey.
    Here's a shot of a guitar a guy built.
    It's actually a Baretta body, but it was a rosewood. He put an old maple Vangard neck on it.

I've got a beak Baretta mutt also! Though mine has a 21 fret Elliot Easton neck on it...

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    I'm just looking at another post of a guy selling a Focus 211S with a maple board, but I'm just doing some research. It's claimed to be from 1989....I'm not positive on the date though.....
    The Focus 211S guitars were actually bottom of the line during the later MusicYo era. Not 80s. At one point they sold for as low as $79 new if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    See if you can find a striker neck or a focus neck. They are identical to the American ones and it'll save you some coin.
    A Focus beak might be close, but the Striker beaks were nowhere near the quality of the Americans. Also, I've never seen a maple Focus beak, and I've seen a lot of Focus over the years. -- Though We Die Young's comment above having one is interesting.

By the way, the Kramer beaks are my favorite headstocks ever! Here are a few of mine...