Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:34 AM
    Liked 2,230 Times in 1,348 Posts

Default Deadwood and NYPD creator has gambled away $100 million dollars!

and his wife is suing their accountants for not keeping her apprised of the losses. Can't say I blame her. How could this not be disclosed to her in their joint filings?

so he has a gambling addiction and he is obviously really really really bad at it. I suppose you could have a gambling addiction and if you are really good at it (Dick Van Patten was always said to be a big gambler, but also a winner) no one would really notice or worry unless it impacted other areas of your life, like family time etc.

now since he has not had a successful show since 2006, he is virtually penniless, has sold his primary home and others, and has 17 million dollars in IRS debt.....that alone would take a lifetime to pay off.

I've gone on a cruise, lost a roll of nickles in a slot machine and walked away not to hit those bandits again

once played an entire evening of black jack at the cheap tables and walked away pretty much even. I like the playing of the games, the money part of it is secondary to me.

How the $100 Million 'NYPD Blue' Creator Gambled Away His Fortune
    By Stephen Galloway with Scott Johnson
    THR
    6:25am PT | February 17, 2016

David Milch, the storied mind also behind 'Deadwood,' changed television. Now, according to a lawsuit, the racetrack regular has lost his homes, owes the IRS $17 million and is on a $40-a-week allowance. Still, his supporters stay close: "He's brilliant.”

This story first appeared in the Feb. 26 issue of The Hollywood Reporter magazine. To receive the magazine, click here to subscribe.

The Santa Anita racetrack sits in silence at the foot of the San Gabriel Mountains, bathed in sunlight, steaming in the heat.

As I pull into its parking lot, I'm struck by the uncommon calm. A few hundred cars are parked in perfect alignment, but space after space is empty. Perhaps that's because it's Super Bowl Sunday, and only hard-core horse-racing fans (or football haters) have peeled themselves off their couches to venture 30 minutes northeast of Los Angeles.

I pay the $1 entrance fee and place my $2 bet, and 10 minutes later I'm standing by the finish line, transfixed, as six horses thunder around the track. For a moment, it looks as if my pick, a mottled gray beauty named Rocket Heat, will break from the pack. Then he falls back. Seconds later, the race is over. Rocket Heat has come in fourth.

"How much did you lose?" a heavyset peroxide blonde asks the man standing next to me.

"Seven bucks," he answers, with a shrug.

"Well, it's either you or me," she says.

Multiply that man's losses by 17 billion, and you'll have something like the annual damage suffered by U.S. gamblers each year, a total of $119 billion in 2013, or about the same as Americans spent on fast food, according to research group H2 Gambling Capital.

Most gamblers limit themselves to modest amounts, and the average American wagers only a few hundred dollars a year. But a small percentage risk everything. Their habit has cost them pain, suffering, embarrassment and debt. They've lost houses, property, friendships, dignity, self-respect, the faith of others and perhaps their faith in themselves. They are addicts.

David Milch is one of them.

Milch, 70, is a four-time Emmy-winning writer-producer who co-created the classic series NYPD Blue and HBO's acclaimed Deadwood. A former English literature professor at Yale, he is known for his cerebral and unorthodox approach to writing, for the profanity of his dialogue and the precision of his plots, for elevating the very possibilities of the once-maligned medium in which he works.

For the past few years, he has been based in an exclusive deal at HBO and is in negotiations to renew it. He is working on an adaptation of Peter Matthiessen's novel Shadow Country, with Jeff Bridges attached to star as 19th century outlaw Edgar "Bloody" Watson. He also is devel­oping a two-hour TV movie version of Deadwood. He has admirers and fans across the spectrum of the television world, though he has not had a successful show since Deadwood ended in 2006.

"We have always felt very lucky to have had David in our family," says HBO chairman and CEO Richard Plepler. "It is obvious to everyone that he is a preternatural talent. What might be less obvious, because he doesn't ever talk about it, is how much time and energy he spends mentoring young writers. I think it speaks volumes about him and reflects his decency and generosity, which is one of the reasons all of us at HBO love him. Over many years, I've watched him treat everyone throughout the company with enormous respect, no matter what their title. He takes time to show his appreciation to everyone. It's why he has so many fans all throughout HBO."

Judging from the accounts of several men and women who know him well, he is a person of extreme talent but also extreme behavior. Now a lawsuit, which was filed last year and is proceeding in Los Angeles Superior Court in Santa Monica, indicates that he lost $25 million from gambling between 2000 and 2011 alone. Colleagues estimate he has earned more than $100 million across his three-decade Hollywood career, but the lawsuit reveals he is left with $17 million in debts.

That marks a breathtaking financial fall for one of the most admired creative figures ever to grace the world of television. "He's in debt to the IRS," says one friend. "He's doing what he can, but it's hard for him and everyone close to him."

A publicly available legal complaint obtained by The Hollywood Reporter and filed last year by attorneys for Milch's wife, Rita S. Milch, details the couple's finances and seeks damages from their business managers, Nigro Karlin Segal Feldstein & Bolno LLP (NKSFB), for not informing her of the full extent of her husband's losses.

These legal documents do not indicate how much Milch has made from his TV work, but a New Yorker profile of him that ran in 2005 said he earned $12 million in his last three years on Hill Street Blues, on which he was co-executive producer, and noted he had made more than $60 million from NYPD Blue, the ABC hit drama that ran for 12 seasons from 1993 to 2005. That article appeared before he was due to receive many millions of dollars more from NYPD's syndication sales. He used some of his money to buy houses in the tony Brentwood section of Los Angeles and on Martha's Vineyard, together worth more than $13 million.

When once asked how often he went to the racetrack, Milch replied, “It depends on who I’m lying to.” He was photographed in 2011 at Santa Anita Park in Arcadia, Calif.

But nearly everything he made is now gone.

Since Milch and his wife agreed to a payment plan with the IRS, according to the complaint, they have sold one of their two homes and put the other on the market. Real estate records indicate that the Milches sold their Brentwood house (on Moreno Avenue) for $4.8 million in May 2014, having lived there for a quarter of a century. According to Zillow, the house has six bedrooms, five bathrooms and more than "7,500 square feet of living space."

Their 22-acre Martha's Vineyard estate is listed for $8.95 million, but has not yet found a buyer. That home, built in 1880 with eight bedrooms and 11 bathrooms, was purchased for $4 million in 1996 but has liens against it. It features a guesthouse, a writer's studio and a beach cottage as well as the main building.

At the time it was first listed, Janet Federowicz, a realtor representing the property, told Variety (in that publication's words): "With their children grown they [the Milches] don't use the compound as much as in the past and it's time to pass the compound to another family."

At one point, documents obtained by THR reveal that Milch took out a loan for $3 million from Laughlin Phillips. THR could not confirm that this is the same Phillips who was a onetime CIA agent, then museum director and founder of Washingtonian magazine, or if the loan ever was repaid.

More recently, Rita has been forced to sell "a significant amount" of her jewelry and art, according to the lawsuit, and also has held several garage sales to raise cash.

Friends of the couple, who speak of them with great warmth, say Milch's gambling has come under control at various times, but then he has lapsed. "On Deadwood, he swore off gambling and sold all his horses," says a former colleague. "It was understood he wasn't gambling. On NYPD Blue, he had a period of being very outwardly sober."

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:58 PM
    Liked 11,728 Times in 6,498 Posts

Premium Member

Maybe this'll get him to go back and finish "Deadwood".
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:22 PM
    Liked 3,107 Times in 1,819 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    Maybe this'll get him to go back and finish "Deadwood".
    HBO said last month it would happen, though we might have better insight into Milch's motivation now.

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    HBO said last month it would happen, though we might have better insight into Milch's motivation now.
    Really? I didn't know that was happening. I CAN'T WAIT!

"He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 06:50 PM
    Liked 1,606 Times in 743 Posts

Premium Member

Al Swearengen... One of the greatest TV characters of all time.

Would love it if they bought Deadwood back, as love as they dont fuck it up.
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

8. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:21 PM
    Liked 18,088 Times in 8,937 Posts

Not the accountant's job to tell the wife what is going on. She signed the returns, it's her responsibility to look at them before she signs them, it's her own damn fault.

I've done thousands of tax returns where I have never even talked to the taxpayers.

Now, if they were Financial Advisors that were engaged, then yeah, they deserve to get sued.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:50 PM
    Liked 1,625 Times in 871 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie5150 View Post

Would love it if they bought Deadwood back, as love as they dont fuck it up.

Al Swearengen: If I bleat when I speak it's because I just got fuckin' fleeced.

Wife & I binge watched it years ago. Tons of great lines in there.
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie5150 View Post

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Bark Like A Dog
    Favorite VH Song

Act Like It Hurts
    Last Online

06.26.17 @ 04:51 PM
    Liked 643 Times in 328 Posts

Swearengen + Wu + San Francisco cocksucker = television GOLD
    "Never is just reven spelled backwards." -House

"Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?" -THE Rob Gordon

14. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Massachusetts by way of the Great State of New Jersey
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Changes with the day
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 02:34 PM
    Liked 529 Times in 317 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Not the accountant's job to tell the wife what is going on. She signed the returns, it's her responsibility to look at them before she signs them, it's her own damn fault.

I've done thousands of tax returns where I have never even talked to the taxpayers.

Now, if they were Financial Advisors that were engaged, then yeah, they deserve to get sued.
    I would imagine at that level they were doing more than just filing tax returns. And it also says "business managers". But who knows...

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 11:34 AM
    Liked 2,230 Times in 1,348 Posts

yeah, from their website

Our approach to Business Management is to be a PERSONAL CFO and offer concierge-style sophisticated services to meet the needs of the unique and complicated life of our clients. We help some of America’s most enterprising and successful individuals and families define the lives they choose to live. NKSFB provides our clients the expertise to protect and collect all that they have earned, and equips them with tools necessary to succeed short and long-term.
    We serve actors and professional athletes, musicians, producers, directors, writers and executives in the entertainment industry, as well as corporate executives, business owners and high net worth individuals in a wide range of industries throughout the United States.
    NKSFB provides creative, calculated and confident solutions based on solid planning and disciplined execution, all of which are completely and openly accountable to our clients. We dedicate a team of seasoned Business Management professionals to each client, led by a partner at NKSFB with decades of success in the industry.
    NKSFB’s Business Management team is ready to provide tailored solutions so that each client is financially secure to pursue their chosen path. We call it . . . LIFE DEFINED

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 16,490 Times in 9,345 Posts

I bet she's pissed about his gambling ...
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by wham bam will rock View Post
    Swearengen + Wu + San Francisco cocksucker = television GOLD
    "Give me the highlights of the f-----n' highlights Wu!!"
    -TVH-

If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine

What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison

Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

Favorite VH Album

Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Default Deadwood and NYPD creator has gambled away $100 million dollars!

"August commencement to my administration, standing stymied outside a saloon next to a degenerate tit-licker."-E.B. Farnum
    Last edited by Ted Van Halen; 02.18.16 at 03:21 PM.
    -TVH-

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 2,028 Times in 1,265 Posts

Ohhh, a Deadwood movie? That would be cool. Great show. I liked it better than the Sopranos.
    Al and E.B. were funny as well.

21. The Following Member Likes This Post: