Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 05:32 AM
    Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts

Donor

Default Does this even exist?

Hey guys--quick question from a relative guitar newbie...

So I'm basically a bedroom player, never gigged, never even really played with anyone. I just put on my old faves from my sordid youth and rock out by ear for a few hours. Got an LTD EC-1000 with the JB/59 combo and an ebony fretboard, a striped series R/B/W (because, you know...Ed) and 2 amps that I mess around with: a Yamaha THR10X and a Marshall DSL40C.

But here's the thing: my playlist is all over the place. VH to Boston to Foreigner to Judas Priest to Journey to...you get the idea. So needless to say, capturing the right tone for each of those bands takes stopping and tweaking and plucking and tweaking some more blah blah blah.

I just want to play. And have the tone be as close to what I'm hearing as possible. So let me ask you...is there a software program out there that can, say, sample a bit of guitar from a recording, process it quickly, make the proper adjustments, and give you that tone through your axe? For example, ATBL comes on and it finds the tone. Then, when that's over and the next one kicks in, it finds THAT tone. And so on and so on.

I know I can get a multi effects processor and set up to switch to whatever tone I need, but wouldn't it be great if that could happen like, automatically?

So I guess what I'm asking here is:

--Does anything remotely like this exist?
    --If not, what multi-effects processor would get me the closest? I had a Pod XT Live a couple of years ago but found it kinda hard to work with.

Thanks!

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

11.19.17 @ 03:14 PM
    Liked 82 Times in 38 Posts

Peavey Revalver is expected to have this capability at some point. It will be called the Act Profiler, and will profile amplifiers, as well as tones from recordings.

That's software, though, and nobody apparently knows when it is going to come out.

As for anything close to that in the hardware world it would have to be the Kemper Profiler. It profiles amps. So you find a profile of the guitar amp the guitarist used in the song you want to play, and go from there.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 06:55 AM
    Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts

The Axe Fx II has "Tone Matching" and comes very close to matching guitar tones. It can only match isolated guitar tracks so if the song has about 5 or more secs of just guitar it can match (Like the intro to ATBL).

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:22 PM
    Liked 1,043 Times in 526 Posts

Positive Grid's Bias does amp matching. It's a software solution.

There's a cool app called Jammit that has some integration with a Line6 product to emulate the original tones on the fly. I use Jammit for a learning/jamming tool, but i'm not into tone matching at all. I've never tried to make me sound like anyone else, just tried to play their parts.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 415 Times in 250 Posts

As I was reading the original post...When I got to the part where the question was posed if the technology existed whereby you could play a song and have a program match the guitar tone......I immediately said to myself, "What a stupid question....Of course that doesn't exist..."

This is the one that's actually kind of freaky......It's the same tone.

Turns out the question wasn't stupid at all.

And I'm stupid.

Holy fucking shit...
    Last edited by MF5150; 02.17.16 at 04:10 PM.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

7. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post
    As I was reading the original post...When I got to the part where the question was posed if the technology existed whereby you could play a song and have a program match the guitar tone......I immediately said to myself, "What a stupid question....Of course that doesn't exist..."
    I know, right? I was telling myself the same thing for a long time. "Doesn't exist".

That Fractal Axe FX II is incredible. Too bad my bedroom player budget isn't in line with it. Maybe someday...

Almost pulled the trigger on a Digitech RP500 yesterday. Sweet deal for a new one at $120 with free shipping. Literally had it in my Paypal account, ready to buy, but then I remembered how my other Digitech RP purchases sounded. Maybe they've come a ways since the used plastic RP50 I had a few years back, but I don't know...
    Last edited by jaybird; 02.17.16 at 06:10 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:18 PM
    Liked 461 Times in 200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MF5150 View Post

This is the one that's actually kind of freaky......It's the same tone.

Turns out the question wasn't stupid at all.

And I'm stupid.

Holy fucking shit...
    thats a freaking KICK ASS version of AFU... Damn man!!!!

Rob

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Seventh Seal/Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:55 AM
    Liked 415 Times in 250 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jaybird View Post
    I know, right? I was telling myself the same thing for a long time. "Doesn't exist".

That Fractal Axe FX II is incredible. Too bad my bedroom player budget isn't in line with it. Maybe someday...

Almost pulled the trigger on a Digitech RP500 yesterday. Sweet deal for a new one at $120 with free shipping. Literally had it in my Paypal account, ready to buy, but then I remembered how my other Digitech RP purchases sounded. Maybe they've come a ways since the used plastic RP50 I had a few years back, but I don't know...
    I hear ya. I had a Digiech RP400x. Got one when they first came out and I thought it sounded awesome in my basement. Then I took it to a gig and every single person after the show said, "You're playing was good but your sound was absolute shit..." It simply didn't sound like I was plugged into any good amp ever created. The sound had no balls whatsoever. Very thin and processed (pun half-intended)

Since then I haven't used a processor pedal since. Just all my stomp boxes into the front of the amp (cause my Line 6 doesn't have an effects loop).

Although I did just buy a used POD XT Live for $150. Seems like the market is still pretty hot for em cause my buddy had it posted on Kijiji for 10 minutes and he was getting email after email and offer after offer.
    My man, when you are fantasizing, don't go for attainable, you can get attainable at the local Applebee's. - Dave's Dreidel

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

09.15.17 @ 08:03 AM
    Liked 1,395 Times in 441 Posts

If you're a bedroom player, I encourage you to check out Blackstar practice amps. I got one for my son for his birthday and I'm the one using it all the time.

It has 8 different tone settings with the ability to adjust each tone just a bit. Additionally, the amp comes with built in effects (reverb, delay, chorus, phaser, flanger, and vibrato).

For whatever reason -- good engineering I guess -- these amps sound really really good at bedroom volume, and all of the predominant electric guitar tone varieties are just a dial away.

KBD3

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Dodds View Post
    If you're a bedroom player, I encourage you to check out Blackstar practice amps. I got one for my son for his birthday and I'm the one using it all the time.

It has 8 different tone settings with the ability to adjust each tone just a bit. Additionally, the amp comes with built in effects (reverb, delay, chorus, phaser, flanger, and vibrato).

For whatever reason -- good engineering I guess -- these amps sound really really good at bedroom volume, and all of the predominant electric guitar tone varieties are just a dial away.

KBD3
    Hmmm, sounds intriguing. I've been through a bunch of modelers--Mustangs, Vypers, Vox...had a Roland Cube that a I liked a lot. The Yamaha I have now is great (especially with VH tones), but compared to the Marshall tube amp...well you know how that works.

May have to check those out, thanks for the tip.

14. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:52 PM
    Liked 734 Times in 347 Posts

I have to go with the Positive Grid Bias solution. Seems like it would be the most economical solution. I have not used the amp sampling that they have, but I have used JamUp Pro in conjunction with Bias, and it sounds very good. I know the IOS route is not for everybody, but when I'm practicing in the basement, it's extremely efficient.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Donor

Just a quick update--I ended up going with a Firehawk FX. Although I'm not crazy about the whole Line 6 thing, I felt like it gave me the closest thing to what I wanted--tones on the fly.

Had it a few weeks now, and I'm so-so on it. The interface with Bluetooth and your phone or pad is pretty cool and very easy to tweak. If you play your music through the phone/pad, the app will automatically read the guitar signature, then offer up tones from its cloud that are closest based on what it's hearing. Just tap the tone and you're playing along. Of course, we all know how user based tone uploads are--one guy's Van Halen is another guy's Van Morrison and so forth. So they're all over the board a bit. But usually there's one or two that are close enough.

Biggest gripe I have is the harshness of the tones. I'm running through a FRFR P.A. speaker now as opposed to an amp cab, so I knew it would sound different. But I never expected it to be THAT different. Seems like everything comes at you with a thousand spinning knife blades that blast your eardrums to shreds like a lawnmower. No real depth at all. Tried tweaking the PA speaker settings but it really didn't cut down much.

Jury's still out on this thing. If I can figure out a way to warm things up a bit (without having to tweak EVERY SINGLE TONE), I may keep it around for a while. But if I see a decent tube amp out there...

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

I don't know if this relevant to the Firehawk or not, but my old Pod XT Live pedalboard had a global setting hidden in the menus where you had to tell it what you were playing through, so if it was set to a guitar amp, it wouldn't apply the cab emulation in the same way. Is it possible you need to set your unit to run through a full range speaker?

As it happens, I got Line 6 Amplifi 75 a couple of weeks ago. It does the same 'tone matching' thing with similarly mixed results. Overall, though, I'm really happy with it as an amp to dick around with in the family room. I have other options - including real amps - when I want to get more serious.
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Charvel2 View Post
    I don't know if this relevant to the Firehawk or not, but my old Pod XT Live pedalboard had a global setting hidden in the menus where you had to tell it what you were playing through, so if it was set to a guitar amp, it wouldn't apply the cab emulation in the same way. Is it possible you need to set your unit to run through a full range speaker?

As it happens, I got Line 6 Amplifi 75 a couple of weeks ago. It does the same 'tone matching' thing with similarly mixed results. Overall, though, I'm really happy with it as an amp to dick around with in the family room. I have other options - including real amps - when I want to get more serious.
    I'll check on that--thanks...

So you dig the Amplifi? I thought about going in that direction, but the deal I got on the Firehawk was just too sweet. May have to look at those again, especially if the amp base cuts down on the harshness of the tones.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:22 PM
    Liked 1,043 Times in 526 Posts

It's weird, all of the amp sims these days, they sound great in the demos, but damned if I can a decent result from them. I've tried a stack of them and occasionally get something that sounds reasonable, but I always get a big grin on my face when I plug back into my tube amp, it's better than any of them by a huge margin. I find you have to fuck around so much with the sims, and waste so much time, whereas with the Orange, just plug in and it sounds fucking great.