Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 20 123411 ... LastLast
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:28 AM
    Liked 1,599 Times in 982 Posts

Donor

Smile A 30th Anniversary 5150 Thread

Mods, if I missed a similar thread in the archives in my searches, feel free to delete this one. I figured I'd post it in Main instead of Songs/Albums 'cause it's a commemorative year for one of their seminal LPs. But move as you see fit, of course.

I've been thinking about this album a lot since January 1st, since I realized my 30 year HS reunion is coming this summer and that it's been 30 years this March since 5150 dropped. Crazy. It's long been shelved along with VH1 and '84 as a completely washed out VH album. I simply listened to it too many times over the years. I probably hadn't spun it for at least a decade or more, maybe only hearing WCTBL and Dreams on Sirius XM once in a while. The lack of deep end mixing on 5150 and OU812 has also contributed to their not getting much attention from me anymore.

But then in late January, I finally found one of those 2005 Japan 'remasters' of 5150 in some shabby record store in San Diego, sealed and mint, and despite the fact I've paid for 5150 many times over in various editions and formats, shelled out another 30 bucks to see if the sonic quality was as rumored (for the record, it's crisper, the treble snaps and pops, and it's definitely louder, but the deep end still lacks, not sure it can properly be deemed a remaster, but perhaps a decent tweak from the original pressings - why Warner Japan is more on top of that stuff than US Warner is puzzling, but whatever).

But here's what me and my buddy, who was with me in the limousine ride to the Forum for our first 'adult' VH gig and our first live outing with Sammy in '86, texted about last week concerning 5150. That opening song Good Enough? It was literally a coming of age flashpoint. There we were, intrepid and hesitant about the new Van Halen album, already lamenting David leaving, while respecting Sammy's work with Montrose, not so much his solo stuff, weren't expecting a blasting continuation of the '84 brown sound. And boom, while Alex's electric percussion didn't help much, there was still...Edward. You could hear it in the opening quarter riffage of Good Enough. Of all songs to open a new era, there was Good Enough. And to wit...it WAS good enough. More than good enough. It was Van Halen...a different Van Halen, but Van Halen nonetheless. It wasn't, despite many a Roth fan's assertion, Bon Jovi or Poison. It was VH. It took some adjustment. But the groove held, and then even became...gold.

It's a solid album, one of their best from either era. Sure, sure, it's not as hard as the Roth era, duh. As has been stated countless times over the years, Ed was going to keyboards and some balladeering with or without Dave, that's the way he wanted to compose at the time and it started with '84. Even the diehard Roth fans way back in the early 'net days begrudgingly admitted that Summer Nights and the title track were ripping songs (of course they maintained they'd have been better with Dave singing). And both SM and 5150 hold up to this day. Truthfully, I can't imagine graduating high school without WCTBL blasting on the FM radio every day (thanks KLOS/KMET) the last two months of the semester. BOBW is an iconic mid 80s track as we all know, and introduced a crowd pleaser breakfast club style march all the way through the Balance tour. Heck, I even think LWI is a decent ballad, and I'm no ballad guy (honestly, I never listen to any ballads from any band other than two exceptions - Scorpions' Still Lovin' You and Queen's Who Wants to Live Forever). I was never a big fan of Get Up, but you can't deny Eddie's work on it. Inside, well...we all know what that track's about. If ya can't think about beers with your buds fuckin' off doing some dumb thing us kids did back in the 80s when Summer Nights plays...well, you were either too young or you're dead inside, aren't ya? And come on, it's still one of their best album covers.

Anyway, just thought I'd toss out a 5150 tribute. Because while VH has never and will never make a better album than Fair Warning, and several of their other works stand alone in their power and art, 5150 is the album I came of age to, for better or worse. Graduated high school, turned 18, went to college, livin' large in the heart of the Reagan era, bustin' my disposable income on drugs and booze, raging to Van Halen and their new singer while I (barely) finished out my teens.

And heck, I hope one - or some - of them commemorate it somehow. I'm sure Sam and Mike will include some 5150 love in the handful of Circle gigs scheduled this year. I myself am hoping to attend the one off Chickenfoot show in Tahoe, but I don't think Joe is going to play any 5150.

But somehow it'd be even better if Eddie did something about it. He probably won't, we all know that, he's never done it for any other album. Sure, he busted out that era's guitar recently, and there's the friendly tweets between Ed and Sam, and Wolfgang's pending album, but a reunion's a long, long shot (though I will say I think they're done with Dave). LOL, my buddy's all "Well...what if, for the payday alone, they did what everyone's doing these days and played the entire album for half the set to honor the 30, then the classic Van Hagar singles, it could happen, man, if Wolfgang's doing his own thing and gives his blessing, or even encourages Dad to do it, maybe?" And I'm like, "Uh, unlikely. They just finished a tour supporting a live Dave album. They're going back into hibernation mode for now, maybe for good." And he's all, "Well, it could happen." And I'm all, "You can never say never when it comes to Edward Van Halen, I can't argue that."

Gawd, how can it be 30 years since 5150 dropped? Geez. We. Are. Old. #GenXgeezers
    Last edited by Van Squalen; 02.10.16 at 12:45 AM.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 05:11 AM
    Liked 648 Times in 358 Posts

It was my introduction to Van Halen. I knew Jump from the radio, but at 12 years old when 5150 it was this that got me paying attention. And sent me straight back to getting the 6 pack over the next year, as well as LWAN when it appeared and I'd saved enough money.

One particular thing I do remember was that in Australia, the whole Dave / Sammy preference wasn't such a big deal. We were Van Halen fans, and while we may have preferred one singer or the other, it didn't stop us loving all that they released, and listening to it fairly interchangeably.

Oh, and I remember my grandfather, who had been a professional jazz drummer all his life and didn't rate rock drummers at all, though Alex had potential.

I actually gave the whole album a listen the other day. It brought back memories and held up better than expected. WCTBL and LWI, never my favorite songs, sounded good and I still remembered all the words.

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:17 AM
    Liked 1,474 Times in 899 Posts

Very cool album. '5150' and 'Summer Nights' are still my faves.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:27 PM
    Liked 171 Times in 102 Posts

1984 was the first VH album I was familiar with because like cfimages, I was 12 when it came out. When Dave left, I was disappointed. The prospects of the "I Can't Drive 55", "Dick In The Dirt" guy sounded really good. But only time would tell. When I heard "Why Can't This Be Love" and better yet the B-side, "Get Up" I asked "Who's Dave?". The album came out and I was blown away. There's not a bad song on the album. "Summer Nights", phoenominal. "5150", "Love Walks In", "Dreams". Wow. Sammy Hagar had taken VH to a new level. Same subjects, but with more maturity I felt.

Then, when I heard "Yankee Rose", I thought "Awesome - VH split in two. Sorta" I figured there were no losers. "Eat 'em N Smile" was just as good an album in it's own rite.
    Last edited by Railrunner130; 02.10.16 at 04:03 AM.

Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 04:09 PM
    Liked 741 Times in 408 Posts

Premium Member

Why they don't release in North America the remastered version is beyond me. That was the biggest issue w/ 5150 IMO; 80's production standards. Imagine HOW BAD ASS that album would sound if sonically similar to Balance or the BOBW tunes?

And (from what I understand) the process of re-mastering is VERY easy w/ modern technology; so the fact that Warner can't re-release something w/ a nominal investment is insane to me. To me this is the proof that Ed doesn't want anything to do w/ Sam or Mike - so he's just sitting on it, to ensure Mike / Sam don't benefit in any way.
    Winners come and go; legends are forever.

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:09 AM
    Liked 1,883 Times in 1,100 Posts

I listen to 5150 all the time. Great album. I don't have time to go into all the specifics but it's a great, great album.

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:09 PM
    Liked 1,978 Times in 892 Posts

FEBRUARY 10 1978

VAN HALEN released. Set the world on fire changed the definition of Rock and Roll.

But you have 5150 on your mind. Isn't that special.
    " On a scale that ranges from deep dark depression to rip roaring fun ... most people idle between pissed off ...and not too pissed off " DLR 1997

" I am the danger ... I am the one who knocks " Walter White 2011

9. The Following 6 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:05 AM
    Liked 6,970 Times in 5,006 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bad to the Bone View Post
    I listen to 5150 all the time. Great album. I don't have time to go into all the specifics but it's a great, great album.
    I wouldn't say that I listen to it all the time (I can say that about ANY VH album, so it's not a diss), yet I do agree that it's simply a great album!

It's a lot of fun to listen to. Even the "mature" songs... LOL.
    Certainly one of the many milestones in VH's long and illustrious career.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Liked 18,115 Times in 8,948 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    FEBRUARY 10 1978

VAN HALEN released. Set the world on fire changed the definition of Rock and Roll.

We already have two threads on the VHI anniversary, is it really a burr in peoples saddles to have ONE about 5150?
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

12. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    FEBRUARY 10 1978

so people can post about great 3rd and 4th albums by ANY band but if you want to talk about an album that Van Halen actually did it's a bad thing? You can't talk about both?

I expect you to go into the 3rd times a charm thread (and all those other threads on the main) and post this:

FEBRUARY 10 1978

But you have other bands on your mind. Isn't that special

otherwise you're a hypocrite.

Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    We already have two threads on the VHI anniversary, is it really a burr in peoples saddles to have ONE about 5150?
    people are really salty on here these days. everyone needs to chill the fuck out.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Liked 18,115 Times in 8,948 Posts

I spent a lot of time at the beach in the summer of 1986, and the girls me and my buds spent time with loved 5150. Therefore, it got lots of playing time. Fond memories of that album.

The production is lacking, no bottom end, but I'll put the song 5150 up against anything they have every done and say it is just as good. Love that song.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

16. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 01:05 AM
    Liked 6,970 Times in 5,006 Posts

Premium Member

I spent a lot of time at the beach in the summer of 1986, and the girls me and my buds spent time with loved 5150. Therefore, it got lots of playing time. Fond memories of that album.

The production is lacking, no bottom end, but I'll put the song 5150 up against anything they have every done and say it is just as good. Love that song.
    Totally.

I think that 5150 is right on par with HAIL, meaning that the music is simply brilliant and woven together perfectly. Sheer genius, actually.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:33 PM
    Liked 16,520 Times in 9,363 Posts

"5150" has always been my favorite VH album from the Sammy era. The production isn't very good, but most of the songs are.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

19. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:09 PM
    Liked 1,978 Times in 892 Posts

No.

The other two were started shortly afterwards. Not that it matters.

so people can post about great 3rd and 4th albums by ANY band but if you want to talk about an album that Van Halen actually did it's a bad thing? You can't talk about both?

I expect you to go into the 3rd times a charm thread (and all those other threads on the main) and post this:

FEBRUARY 10 1978

But you have other bands on your mind. Isn't that special

otherwise you're a hypocrite.
    people are really salty on here these days. everyone needs to chill the fuck out.
    Fuck Off - Please don't click my post again. Thanks.
    " On a scale that ranges from deep dark depression to rip roaring fun ... most people idle between pissed off ...and not too pissed off " DLR 1997

" I am the danger ... I am the one who knocks " Walter White 2011

21. The Following 2 Members Like This Post: