Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:45 PM
    Liked 1,482 Times in 1,011 Posts

Premium Member

Default New York Times: Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio are not true Latino's

Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio Made History. Didn’t You Hear?

By ROBERTO SURO
    FEBRUARY 3, 2016
    DEFYING most polls and predictions, a Latino won the Republican Iowa caucuses, and another Latino came in third. Together, they won more than half the vote.

With Senator Ted Cruz taking nearly 28 percent of the vote and Senator Marco Rubio getting 23 percent, each vastly surpassed the results for any other Latino candidate in any previous United States presidential contest.

How is that not being celebrated as historic or at least worth a headline for a day or two?

The answer is not that complicated: Neither Mr. Cruz nor Mr. Rubio meets conventional expectations of how Latino politicians are supposed to behave.

Neither of these candidates claims to speak for the Hispanic population or derive a crucial portion of their support from Hispanics, and neither bases much of his political identity on being a Latino. To varying degrees they oppose legalization for unauthorized immigrants, a policy that is central to most organized Latino political interests and that is supported by a great majority of Latino elected officials and Latino voters.

No less an arbiter than Jorge Ramos, the Univision anchor, seemed to condemn them without naming names in a column last month. “There is no greater disloyalty than the children of immigrants forgetting their own roots. That is a betrayal,” he wrote. It is criticism that echoes the rhetoric aimed at Justice Clarence Thomas of the Supreme Court and other successful members of minority groups who are perceived as failing to uphold their own group’s interests.

The day after the caucuses the headline in La Opinión, the nation’s largest Spanish-language newspaper, was “Ted Cruz, first Latino to win the Iowa caucuses. Why aren’t we celebrating?” The story argued that Mr. Cruz denies his Hispanic identity. It recounted in great detail how at the age of 13 he jettisoned his Spanish nickname, Felito, in favor of Ted, which derives from his middle name, Edward. The story concluded that Mr. Cruz’s disregard for his own identity, along with his extreme positions on immigration, posed an “insurmountable barrier” between him and a majority of Latino voters.
    http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/02/04...QhAHj0mmM&_r=0

The New York Times seems to get worse and worse.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:37 AM
    Liked 18,147 Times in 8,966 Posts

If they were Democrats, the fact that they got more votes in a primary than any Hispanics in American history would have been front page news. But since they are Republicans, it isn't even mentioned except in derision.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

3. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:06 PM
    Liked 11,769 Times in 6,520 Posts

Premium Member

That is a disgusting attack but it is what you expect from the NY Times. Unfortunately, this is only the beginning.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:37 AM
    Liked 18,147 Times in 8,966 Posts

I guess I am a traitor too then, as I decided to be an American and I don't recognize my English, French and Native American heritage.

Who knew wanting to become part of the melting pot was such a dastardly act.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:05 PM
    Liked 6,694 Times in 3,714 Posts

I think it's nice that they don't fit into a tiny little latino box that the press want them in. They are their own men. Just because you don't pander to the Latino vote doesn't make you less proud of your heritage.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    I think it's nice that they don't fit into a tiny little latino box that the press want them in. They are their own men. Just because you don't pander to the Latino vote doesn't make you less proud of your heritage.

Oh, over here the left thinks you're not Latino unless you support illegal immigration, on welfare, or have leftist views. It's pretty disgusting actually.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:05 PM
    Liked 6,694 Times in 3,714 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    Oh, over here the left thinks you're not Latino unless you support illegal immigration, on welfare, or have leftist views. It's pretty disgusting actually.
    Pretty damn sad.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 1,387 Times in 761 Posts

This article from the NY Times was describing the situation more than approving of it. It's not them who called them "not true Latinos." The NYT reported on how and why their victory wasn't celebrated the way you'd expect it.
    Little Dreamer

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:45 PM
    Liked 1,482 Times in 1,011 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    This article from the NY Times was describing the situation more than approving of it. It's not them who called them "not true Latinos." The NYT reported on how and why their victory wasn't celebrated the way you'd expect it.
    You're right.

It honestly says more about the Democrats who feel that minorities should have to give handouts or special favors in order to be real ____.

The writer does not do much to condemn this though.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
    You're right.

It honestly says more about the Democrats who feel that minorities should have to give handouts or special favors in order to be real ____.

The writer does not do much to condemn this though.
    They won't. The timing of this article is no coincidence, they are going to do all they can to get Hillary or Sanders elected. And yes, they'll go into the gutter if they have to. They always have,

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

Well it fits one narrative like how they liked to call George Zimmerman white. On the other hand I thought it didn't matter anymore as long as you yourself identify as a Latino, woman, chalkboard etc.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.