Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1 / F.U.C.K
    Last Online

07.24.17 @ 07:06 PM
    Liked 55 Times in 24 Posts

Default 5150 iii Help Request / Preface Story

Preface: **I have never owned a Tube Amplifier. I have grown up using Solid State and Modelers. I know JACK about speaker types. I play primarily metal, but I can rip some EVH, Satch, Blues Crunchy stuff, and need something high gain, but versatile. Main axe is a Stealth Wolfgang Special HT, which I brought with me.**

So, I tried the 5150 overdrive, and found out my amp was the problem. I can buy this pedal all day long, and it's still gonna sound like crap through my amp (Peavey Envoy 110, open back, no punch, no clear articulation, everything sounds...off.) My amp has always been the weak link in my signal chain.

So, I was gearing up to pick up the 5150 iii 1x12 combo - I am a bedroom player who does a little bit of recording, but no gigging out. The wattage adjuster seems like it would allow me to customize my tone exactly as I want to, and not blow the eardrums out of my roommates. However, I wanted to hear what it actually sounded like before my purchase.

Went to a Big Box store (yes, that one,) and played a 6505+ 112 combo. Was WAY too muddy. Was actually seriously disappointed in the amp, and was praying that the 5150 iii didn't sound...like that. Again, no real clarity, and I actually think the crunch section on the amp I personally played through was screwed up, cause I couldn't get anything but cleans out of it.

The salesman happened to mention they had a 5150 iii 50 watt in the premier room. Would I like to try? Does a bear sh*t in the woods?

God tone. Immediately. THIS is what i have been looking for. Holy &*%@ this sounds good! I was actually saying to myself, "THIS is what I sound like. THIS is what my guitar sounds like. THIS is what my pick attack is like." Absolutely incredible tone.

Salesguy walks back in, sees the smile on my face.

"So, is this what the combo sounds like?"

"Well, sadly, the combo is going to sound more similar to the 6505. Combos are primarily for portability, and in matching everything, they sometimes skimp in other areas, and make maintenance a pain. In general, you are going to get a lot more flexibility, even as a bedroom player, buying a separate head, and a separate cab. This may be what your taste is today, but in 5 years, if you find that you want to switch cabinets, you can't do it easily, and then you can't sell, or mix and match cabinets. Head + Cab will offer you a lot of flexibility, and a lot of room to grow."

This actually makes sense to me. I also like the idea of carrying 2 35lb things instead of 1 65lb thing. I guess that as a bedroom player, I have always felt that a full blown tube amp was "too much" amp for me. At the same time, whenever I play, I want to actually sound good.

"Do you sell the EVH 112 cabinets?"

"We just had one here, but I think it got sold yesterday. The only thing with the EVH cabinets are that they are a little bit brighter than what you are currently playing through (which was a Friedman 1x12 with Celestian Creambacks.) Oranges sound amazing with them, they will give you that punch you are talking about lacking."

New combo has reverb, and the wattage control. I don't use reverb that much. Price is about the same vs a 50 watt head + 1x12 cabinet.

So my questions to you, owners:

1) Do you find you miss the reverb? I know I can get around this with a pedal.

2) How much does the volume drop (which I did hear for myself) irritate you? In complete fairness, I'm not buying this thing to play clean.

3) Did you match the head to an EVH cabinet, or did you switch to something else? I keep hearing / reading about Orange and Mesa Cabinets being awesome, but there is a part of me that thinks that a set should stay a set, and the guys who designed it would match it very well to "itself".

4) If you own both, can you speak to any validity about differences in sound between the combo vs H+C?

5) Go used, or brand new? I personally don't think 1400-1600 for what I heard is unreasonable.

6) Would you personally choose the H+C or Combo, and why?

Thanks in advance, everyone!

Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 07:47 AM
    Liked 140 Times in 83 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by erasetheprocess View Post
    Preface: **I have never owned a Tube Amplifier. I have grown up using Solid State and Modelers. I know JACK about speaker types. I play primarily metal, but I can rip some EVH, Satch, Blues Crunchy stuff, and need something high gain, but versatile. Main axe is a Stealth Wolfgang Special HT, which I brought with me.**

So, I tried the 5150 overdrive, and found out my amp was the problem. I can buy this pedal all day long, and it's still gonna sound like crap through my amp (Peavey Envoy 110, open back, no punch, no clear articulation, everything sounds...off.) My amp has always been the weak link in my signal chain.

So, I was gearing up to pick up the 5150 iii 1x12 combo - I am a bedroom player who does a little bit of recording, but no gigging out. The wattage adjuster seems like it would allow me to customize my tone exactly as I want to, and not blow the eardrums out of my roommates. However, I wanted to hear what it actually sounded like before my purchase.

Went to a Big Box store (yes, that one,) and played a 6505+ 112 combo. Was WAY too muddy. Was actually seriously disappointed in the amp, and was praying that the 5150 iii didn't sound...like that. Again, no real clarity, and I actually think the crunch section on the amp I personally played through was screwed up, cause I couldn't get anything but cleans out of it.

The salesman happened to mention they had a 5150 iii 50 watt in the premier room. Would I like to try? Does a bear sh*t in the woods?

God tone. Immediately. THIS is what i have been looking for. Holy &*%@ this sounds good! I was actually saying to myself, "THIS is what I sound like. THIS is what my guitar sounds like. THIS is what my pick attack is like." Absolutely incredible tone.

"Well, sadly, the combo is going to sound more similar to the 6505. Combos are primarily for portability, and in matching everything, they sometimes skimp in other areas, and make maintenance a pain. In general, you are going to get a lot more flexibility, even as a bedroom player, buying a separate head, and a separate cab. This may be what your taste is today, but in 5 years, if you find that you want to switch cabinets, you can't do it easily, and then you can't sell, or mix and match cabinets. Head + Cab will offer you a lot of flexibility, and a lot of room to grow."

This actually makes sense to me. I also like the idea of carrying 2 35lb things instead of 1 65lb thing. I guess that as a bedroom player, I have always felt that a full blown tube amp was "too much" amp for me. At the same time, whenever I play, I want to actually sound good.

"We just had one here, but I think it got sold yesterday. The only thing with the EVH cabinets are that they are a little bit brighter than what you are currently playing through (which was a Friedman 1x12 with Celestian Creambacks.) Oranges sound amazing with them, they will give you that punch you are talking about lacking."

New combo has reverb, and the wattage control. I don't use reverb that much. Price is about the same vs a 50 watt head + 1x12 cabinet.

2) How much does the volume drop (which I did hear for myself) irritate you? In complete fairness, I'm not buying this thing to play clean.

3) Did you match the head to an EVH cabinet, or did you switch to something else? I keep hearing / reading about Orange and Mesa Cabinets being awesome, but there is a part of me that thinks that a set should stay a set, and the guys who designed it would match it very well to "itself".

4) If you own both, can you speak to any validity about differences in sound between the combo vs H+C?

5) Go used, or brand new? I personally don't think 1400-1600 for what I heard is unreasonable.

If you think it sounds good, go for it. Remember what the man himself used to say, "If it sounds good; it is good" I use a 50w & 2x12 combo. No wattage control. Channel 3 has so much gain I can get a killer drive sound on less than 1 on that amp, adjust my resonance & presence and be happy while I play late at night. Turn it up to 11, switch to blue channel and use red for leads, or that metal ja-jigga -ja -ja stuff. I don't need the voltage attenuator, just a good pair of ears. And it sounds like you have it. You'll never play metal on a 1x12 combo and have it sound stellar at a loud volume, something will always be missing to you.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:32 PM
    Liked 928 Times in 555 Posts

What store were you checking this out at. Reason I ask is cause I`m in the Bay Area also

Favorite VH Album

VH 1 / F.U.C.K
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by 51501984 View Post
    What store were you checking this out at. Reason I ask is cause I`m in the Bay Area also
    Guitar Center in Santa Clara.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Guitar Center in Santa Clara.
    So your looking to buy a 5150 lll combo and the person at guitar center told you the combo is gonna sound like the 6505 which you didn`t care for?

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:00 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

So your looking to buy a 5150 lll combo and the person at guitar center told you the combo is gonna sound like the 6505 which you didn`t care for?
    And is not true.

Plus it sounds like you had a bad 6505+. Excuse me, they do.

Not to sound like a dick, but do I have to get into the differences between the 6505+ and the new EVH 5150 III combos/50 watt head? I can. It'll just be long and boring.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by AFU View Post
    And is not true.

Not to sound like a dick, but do I have to get into the differences between the 6505+ and the new EVH 5150 III combos/50 watt head? I can. It'll just be long and boring.
    I think you`re mistaking me for the OP

Favorite VH Album

VH 1 / F.U.C.K
    Last Online

He said the 5150iii combo was going to sound more like the 65605 combo because of physical construction, not because they were the exact same beast.

I was thinking something might have been bad on the 6505 as well, and I know things go wrong on stuff. It didn't sound at all the way I had expected it to though, and to my ears, I just wasn't impressed.

I don't need the differences in explanation between the 2 - I am not one of these people that believes that they are "the same thing." I know that they aren't. Regardless of the actual construction, tubes, manufacturers, circuit design, etc: 20+ years of tweaks, changes and refinement does not equal the same amp.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,322 Times in 3,177 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I have a 5150ii and a 5150iii combo. They sound similar but the 3 is louder to me. And it's something you need to try before you let someone else away your decision.

Sent from my iPhone using swagger

Last Online

I think you`re mistaking me for the OP
    Really?!? Sorry. No idea how that happened.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Really?!? Sorry. No idea how that happened.
    I'm sure I can find it in my heart to forgive you

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 725 Times in 342 Posts

Don't take some numb nut big box guitar store employees word for it. Find a 5150iii combo and try it. Sounds nothing like a 6505 combo. It has the same general tone as what you were playing through.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,322 Times in 3,177 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

If you in Georgia come over to fudd manor and try it.

Sent from my iPhone using swagger

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    Don't take some numb nut big box guitar store employees word for it. Find a 5150iii combo and try it. Sounds nothing like a 6505 combo. It has the same general tone as what you were playing through.
    All 5150/6505 series amps have a similar lead channel. Less so in a side by side comparison. YT clips and other recordings can make you think they are closer than they are. But there is a fundamental underlying tone that's similar. And yet they are all a little different. With each version Ed made improvements. And yes, I know the 6505+ combo is post Ed at PV. I like the 6505+ combo. My 5150 III 2x12 combo sounds much better. I love my old Peavey 5150. The 5150 III is better.

And there were plans for a 1x12 5150 combo while Ed was with Peavey. So they didn't have to do much without him. It may have been in prototype stages when he left.

And I don't want to dis anybody here. But most music store employees are dumbasses. Especially a large one that rhymes with guitar center. I know a couple dudes who work at music stores that are knowledgable and nice guys. They are in the minority.

Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 07:47 AM
    Liked 140 Times in 83 Posts

All 5150/6505 series amps have a similar lead channel. Less so in a side by side comparison. YT clips and other recordings can make you think they are closer than they are. But there is a fundamental underlying tone that's similar. And yet they are all a little different. With each version Ed made improvements. And yes, I know the 6505+ combo is post Ed at PV. I like the 6505+ combo. My 5150 III 2x12 combo sounds much better. I love my old Peavey 5150. The 5150 III is better.

And there were plans for a 1x12 5150 combo while Ed was with Peavey. So they didn't have to do much without him. It may have been in prototype stages when he left.

And I don't want to dis anybody here. But most music store employees are dumbasses. Especially a large one that rhymes with guitar center. I know a couple dudes who work at music stores that are knowledgable and nice guys. They are in the minority.
    I worked at a guitar center for 7 months. Never made any money because I was too damn honest.