Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:57 AM
    Liked 11,761 Times in 6,516 Posts

Premium Member

Default UConn Building a Dorm For Black Men Only

Jan. 31, 2016 

In order to help black males graduate, the University of Connecticut is constructing a dorm with a living space only for them.

Called the ScHOLA2RS House, the living community for African American males is set to open in 2016. According to UConn’s website, the ScHOLA2RS House is “a scholastic initiative to groom, nurture, and train the next generation of leaders to address grand challenges in society through the promotion of academic success in undergraduate programs at the University of Connecticut and in competitive graduate programs.”

Dr. Erik Hines, an assistant professor of educational psychology and the future faculty advisor to those in the dorm, said UConn will implement the living space as a “forward-thinking” solution to the fact that black male students graduate at a lower rate.

It is a space for African American men to one, come together and validate their experiences that they may have on campus. Number two, it’s also a space where they can have conversation and also talk with individuals who come from the same background who share the same experience,” Hines told WTIC-TV.

However, some students have taken issue with the idea.

“I was not pleased, my immediate thought was ‘What?’” Haddiyyah Ali, a fourth-semester Africana studies and political science major told the Daily Campus. “I know there had to be a lot of research that went into it…but just for me coming from a student perspective, my initial thought was what about black women and girls – what about us?”

“Just this idea that 43 black men get retention programming and everyone else is left in limbo,” Ali continued. “I will always contest to the fact that black men on the campus aren’t given enough resources, I will in no way dispel that fact, but my questioning isn’t if they need, but is if they need it in this way.”

David Ouimette, executive director of first year programs and learning communities, told the Daily Campus that UConn received a grant specifically for a living-learning community.

“It’s interesting this hang up on the living part. I don’t really understand the hang up,” he said. 

“The white portion of the University of Connecticut is probably not ready for it,” Isaac Bloodworth, a puppetry major, said of the criticisms. “You have people who are going to go against it because they are just racist and they see this as a form of segregation or that we’re getting better things than they are.”

Bloodworth continued to say that while he’s supportive of the community, he’s fearful that the living space could lead to a racial divide on campus.

ScHOLA2RS House will be housed in a more than 200,000-square-foot dorm set to open in 2016, according to WTIC.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2016...for-black-men/
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:10 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    Jan. 31, 2016 

In order to help black males graduate, the University of Connecticut is constructing a dorm with a living space only for them.

Called the ScHOLA2RS House, the living community for African American males is set to open in 2016. According to UConn’s website, the ScHOLA2RS House is “a scholastic initiative to groom, nurture, and train the next generation of leaders to address grand challenges in society through the promotion of academic success in undergraduate programs at the University of Connecticut and in competitive graduate programs.”

Dr. Erik Hines, an assistant professor of educational psychology and the future faculty advisor to those in the dorm, said UConn will implement the living space as a “forward-thinking” solution to the fact that black male students graduate at a lower rate.

It is a space for African American men to one, come together and validate their experiences that they may have on campus. Number two, it’s also a space where they can have conversation and also talk with individuals who come from the same background who share the same experience,” Hines told WTIC-TV.

However, some students have taken issue with the idea.

“I was not pleased, my immediate thought was ‘What?’” Haddiyyah Ali, a fourth-semester Africana studies and political science major told the Daily Campus. “I know there had to be a lot of research that went into it…but just for me coming from a student perspective, my initial thought was what about black women and girls – what about us?”

“Just this idea that 43 black men get retention programming and everyone else is left in limbo,” Ali continued. “I will always contest to the fact that black men on the campus aren’t given enough resources, I will in no way dispel that fact, but my questioning isn’t if they need, but is if they need it in this way.”

David Ouimette, executive director of first year programs and learning communities, told the Daily Campus that UConn received a grant specifically for a living-learning community.

“It’s interesting this hang up on the living part. I don’t really understand the hang up,” he said. 

“The white portion of the University of Connecticut is probably not ready for it,” Isaac Bloodworth, a puppetry major, said of the criticisms. “You have people who are going to go against it because they are just racist and they see this as a form of segregation or that we’re getting better things than they are.”

Bloodworth continued to say that while he’s supportive of the community, he’s fearful that the living space could lead to a racial divide on campus.

ScHOLA2RS House will be housed in a more than 200,000-square-foot dorm set to open in 2016, according to WTIC.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2016...for-black-men/
    Gee, you think?
    I don't understand how segregating a particular race will help to desegregate said race. It just makes no sense. If you are a smart kid regardless of race you don't need all of these so-called improvements to succeed. I have a cousin who is African American and got in to a decent college solely based on the fact that he could play basketball. When he graduated high school he could barely put a sentence together on paper without spelling or grammatical errors. He gets to college and flunks out in the first year. He was given tutors and everything under the sun to succeed but in the end college wasn't in his future. He is now in the Army and doing well. My point in that story is that while African American students may not be graduating at as a high a rate as other races maybe it's because those students who flunked out shouldn't have been there in the first place.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

3. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:37 AM
    Liked 18,143 Times in 8,965 Posts

I would think that due to the Supreme Court ruling in Brown vs Topeka Board of Education that this would be in essence, illegal.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

5. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:58 AM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    “The white portion of the University of Connecticut is probably not ready for it,” Isaac Bloodworth, a puppetry major, said of the criticisms.
    They're giving degrees in puppetry??
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 10:37 AM
    Liked 18,143 Times in 8,965 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood P. View Post
    They're giving degrees in puppetry??
    Think bio-mechanical instead of Kermit the Frog.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:32 AM
    Liked 866 Times in 508 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I can't see how this leads to nothing but shit.

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:14 AM
    Liked 6,691 Times in 3,711 Posts

I don't doubt the sincerity behind what they are trying to achieve. But I don't think this is a good idea.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:58 AM
    Liked 1,083 Times in 725 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Think bio-mechanical instead of Kermit the Frog.
    Ok. That makes sense. I suppose.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

Will this affect the football and basketball players too. Raldo?
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,107 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Well, at least we know where the police will be !!!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

13. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:08 AM
    Liked 4,803 Times in 2,451 Posts

Premium Member

Yeah this works so well in urban areas.

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

If its Eddie, its Van Halen
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 07:50 AM
    Liked 527 Times in 242 Posts

Lamda Lamda Lamda
    'Old Van Halen, when I was in it-classic Van Halen-makes you wanna drink, dance and screw, right? And the new Van Halen encourages you to drink milk, drive a Nissan and have a relationship.' - David Lee Roth.

16. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:32 AM
    Liked 866 Times in 508 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I was doing some digging to figure out what the intellectual reason is for this move, because there has to be more to it than what's being reported, I would think. I haven't found anything yet, but I did run across this from UConn, which actually made me a bit hungry:

Drunken Uconn Shithead Wants His Mac and Cheese Right Now, Cafeteria Staff Not Having It

This video, uploaded to YouTube Monday, stars an entitled young UConn student who wants some “fucking bacon jalapeño mac and cheese,” but these “fucking idiot” cafeteria workers won’t give it to him. Instead, they keep telling him he’s going to get expelled for bringing beer into Union Street Market. Whatever! This is America, man, and he’s 19. Like some “faggy cafeteria manager cafeteria manager cafeteria manager” can tell him what to do?

The kid, who did not get his mac and cheese, but did get the swift takedown he deserved, has been identified by Barstool Sports as “repeat party offender” Luke Gatti of Long Island, N.Y.

The blog Only in Amherst reports Gatti was previously a student at UMass Amherst, where he was arrested twice for run-ins with cops last September. According to police reports about the first incident, an officer told Gatti to move out of the street, so he “raised his left hand in a ‘Hook-em-horns’-like gesture and shouted fuck you ******” at an officer.

He then allegedly yelled “Fuck you! I only said ‘fuck you,’ ... so fuck you!”

He was charged with disorderly conduct.

In the second incident, he was charged with assault and battery against a police officer, who reportedly suffered arm and hand injuries.

Update: The Hartford Courant confirms Gatti was arrested by UConn police around 10 p.m. Sunday, and has been charged with breach of peace in the second degree and criminal trespass. His bond was set at $1,500, and his next court date is October 13.

The university wouldn’t comment on the case specifically, but a spokesperson told the Courant that “Generally speaking, any UConn student found to have violated the provisions of the Student Code may face penalties imposed by the Division of Student Affairs that range from probation to expulsion.”

6 October 2015

http://gawker.com/drunken-uconn-shit...t-n-1734921768

ETA: I'm glad the forum software edited the n-word out. I was going to but forgot.

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:11 AM
    Liked 2,386 Times in 1,488 Posts

Premium Member

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 09:34 AM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

I can see that Universities want to create an environment in which at risk students make it to graduation

My brother held a position with a college where that was exactly his job...retention

there's reasons a university needs to keep it's graduation percentage up and the 4 year graduation up...for financial aid reasons, because people research this when choosing a school for their children

But you can create a nurturing, supportive environment without segregating the students by race, after all you want as close to 100% graduation as you can get. You want to decrease drop outs, decrease the career students, decrease transfers...and that means creating that same supportive environment for white males, for latinos, for students in poverty... EVERYONE

My brother talked to me about what he went thru with the students who were targeted for special attention to keep them enrolled and what he described was frustrating...students who were unprepared for college both academically and culturally, students who did not have their priorities straight but honestly looked at college as the thing you do to have a good life, but without a concept of what it entailed. Students who were not just the first in their family to attend college, but perhaps the first in their family to go beyond middle school. Students who already had financial and time obligations to care for children. Students who would show up on the days when job recruiters were on campus looking like they just came off the strippers pole or like they just finished a big drug sale without any idea of what "business attire" should look like. Students who had no idea how to speak in business settings.

there was a lot of remedial work to be done with these students. I could see having facility like this for students like the ones my brother dealt with, but in U CONN? I have a hard time believing they would have such marginal students.