Favorite VH Album

The Super Seven
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/I'm the One
    Last Online

11.11.17 @ 08:55 AM
    Liked 462 Times in 234 Posts

Default Van Halen (Roth) Super Bowl ad for Acura

It must be a sign of some sorts! This ad has swagger!

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:09 PM
    Liked 1,978 Times in 892 Posts

Amazing- Super surprised they used so much from that isolated vocal outtake. I Googled it just to see if it was real and sure enough VH finally at the Superbowl.

http://nytimes.com/2016/01/29/busine...?_r=0&referer=

The New York Times

Acura Taps Van Halen for a Hard-Driving Super Bowl Commercial

David Lee Roth performing with Van Halen in 2012. This year, Acura is using a classic Van Halen song in its Super Bowl 50 ad for the 2017 NSX sports car.

CHAD BATKA FOR THE NEW YORK TIMES
    By MICHAEL McCARTHY
    JANUARY 28, 2016

Fleetwood Mac’s “Landslide” served as the perfect soundtrack for Budweiser’s heartwarming 2013 ad where a Clydesdale reunited with its former trainer. The composer John Williams’ “Imperial March” from “Star Wars” added just the right touch to Volkswagen’s humorous 2011 spot about a junior Darth Vader trying to use “the Force.”

On the other hand, Nissan’s selection of Harry Chapin’s melancholy “Cat’s in the Cradle” last year felt too dour for many viewers.

When it comes to Super Bowl ads, the use of well-known songs can be a high-risk, high-reward proposition, said Tristan Clopet, creative director of the Sussex Music House in Brooklyn. Done right, music can be a highly effective branding tool. Done wrong, viewers remember not the product, but the song (and not always fondly).

This year, the luxury carmaker Acura is gambling that its use of Van Halen’s hard-driving rock n’ roll classic “Runnin’ With the Devil” will make its 30-second spot for the 2017 NSX high-end sports car stand out during CBS’ broadcast of Super Bowl 50 on Feb. 7.

The spot, by the ad agency MullenLowe U.S. in Los Angeles, contains no dialogue. Instead, the familiar sound of the singer David Lee Roth’s voice is set against images of the car, which will become available this spring for the sum of $156,000.

Acura and MullenLowe considered a variety of songs from different genres before settling on Van Halen.

“Ultimately we knew that we wanted this to be a rock song,” said Leila Cesario, the national advertising manager for American Honda’s Acura division. “The Super Bowl is a big American platform. It needed a big American band that screams excitement.”

This will be Acura’s first Super Bowl spot since 2012, when the comedians Jerry Seinfeld and Jay Leno dueled over the first NSX to come off the production line. MullenLowe deliberately shot NSX in shades of red, white and blue to highlight that the two-seater is designed and built in the United States.

Van Halen won’t be the only rock and rollers on Super Bowl Sunday. Aerosmith’s Steven Tyler, for example, will star in a spot for Skittles candy. Pepsi is also planning a commercial featuring well-known songs.

Choosing the right music for an ad is not simple. Many marketers hire advisers like Tena Clark, founder of DMI Music & Media Solutions in Los Angeles, to pick songs that they think will resonate.

“It’s a perfect storm in the wind when you’ve really done your homework — and that piece of music matches with the story line and the visuals you’ve shot,” said Ms. Clark.

Agencies license songs a variety of ways. The most expensive is to license an original version, like Acura did. An alternative is to use cover versions. The cheapest way is to use the music of relatively obscure artists.

Licensing a classic song by a popular band like Van Halen or Aerosmith can cost six figures for one-time use during the Super Bowl, said Josh Rabinowitz, director of music for the Grey Group in New York. (Acura did not say how much it paid.) If the agency wants to use the song for a monthslong campaign, the cost could run into the millions, he said. Savvy music labels also raise the price when they know an agency badly wants a certain song for a Super Bowl spot.

The good news for advertisers? With major changes in the economics of the music industry, more artists are willing to work with Madison Avenue than ever before.

Long after bands’ records stop selling, or the musicians stop touring, “advertising is the gift that keeps giving,” Mr. Rabinowitz said.
    Last edited by Heisenberg; 01.28.16 at 10:43 PM.
    " On a scale that ranges from deep dark depression to rip roaring fun ... most people idle between pissed off ...and not too pissed off " DLR 1997

" I am the danger ... I am the one who knocks " Walter White 2011

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies & Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 5,127 Times in 2,425 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    Amazing- Super surprised they used so much from that isolated vocal outtake. I Googled it just to see if it was real and sure enough VH finally at the Superbowl.

agreed. I think the edit could've been better if used more of the real song, the isolated vocals lose a bit especially for a TV commercial?! But pretty cool still

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:41 AM
    Liked 11,557 Times in 4,925 Posts

It's cool but more of the real song would have sounded better with Dave's screams. Still a very cool idea and great to hear VH on a Super Bowl ad.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:26 PM
    Liked 1,384 Times in 759 Posts

Uh oh. Someone could get upset that they used like 30 seconds of only vocals and like 5 seconds of music. Coz, you know, singers are not important, LSD, ask Beethoven and he'll kick your ass, etc, etc.
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:09 PM
    Liked 1,978 Times in 892 Posts

I'm thinking a lot of folks might be confused wondering wtf is this until the tune finally kicks in. Not sure what to make of it just yet. I definitely liked the other older car commercial that used You Really Got Me.

Atlas Music Group definitely earning their keep this past year or so. I think they help solitic these kinda placements. Eruption in the Minions Movie and so forth. Still awaiting the Soundtrack listing for the Everybody Wants Some movie.

Now- Just imagine if they used one of the tunes from after '84. Ha.
    " On a scale that ranges from deep dark depression to rip roaring fun ... most people idle between pissed off ...and not too pissed off " DLR 1997

" I am the danger ... I am the one who knocks " Walter White 2011

10. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:17 AM
    Liked 1,940 Times in 785 Posts

Premium Member

Sometimes it takes a voice like David Lee Roth’s to snare consumer attention on Super Bowl Sunday.

Acura will take to the advertising playing field of Super Bowl 50 with an ad that will use some of the iconic elements of the Van Halen song “Running with the Devil,” namely some of Roth’s signature musical utterances and guitarist Eddie Van Halen’s trademark licks. The spot will air in the first quarter of the game, slated to be broadcast on CBS on February 7, and tout the automaker’s NSX, according to Leila Cesario, national advertising manager for the Acura unit of American Honda.

SPONSORED

With 3 films at Sundance, Natasha Lyonne goes beyond "Orange is the New Black"
    Find out how she has made a career of playing complex, odd-ball characters.
    Sponsored by Autograph Collection Hotels
    “What we are doing is taking our American super car on to the big American stage,” she said in an interview, making a reference to the industry’ s term for a high-performance sports vehicle. The NSX, which last appeared in the Super Bowl in a 2012 spot featuring Jerry Seinfeld and Jay Leno,” costs more than $150,000.

Acura isn’t the first Super Bowl bound carmaker to tap a loud popular song in hopes of making some noise during an event that is chockablock with celebrites, oddball moments and surprises. Kia tapped Motley Crue’s “Kickstart My Heart” to advertiser its Optima in 2012’s Super Bowl XLVI. In 2011, Chrysler used Eminem’s “Lose Yourself” to great effect in a stirring commercial meant to inspire as the nation worked its way out of a recession.

The Acura commercial, crafted by the Los Angeles office of Interpublic Group agency MullenLowe, marks the first time Van Halen has allowed that particular tune to be used for licensing purposes, said Cesario.

The company knew it wanted a loud rock song to help tout the car and to get attention, she said. Eddie Van Halen and his brother Alex, who plays drums in the band, were amenable to the song being used, said Cesario.

The company won’t stop at the TV set. As part of the social media outreach surrouindg the commercial, viewers will be able to enter a sweepstakes t win an NSX driving experience if they generate tweets that contain a link to the 30-second Super Bowl ad. On February 25, Acura will launch a “NSX online vehicle configurator” that lets fans and potential customers design their own NSX.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/supe...en-1201691538/

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:13 AM
    Liked 1,479 Times in 901 Posts

Cool ad.

I do have to chuckle when I hear the isolated screams because all I can think of is that 'Dave on American Idol' video that someone put together years ago.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

I'm sorry, but I just can't take the ad seriously. Every time I hear that isolated vocal track, I immediately think of the "Roth American Idol" video.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:47 AM
    Liked 18,127 Times in 8,952 Posts

I think it's great. Would have had more impact though if they didn't release it more than a week before the Super Bowl.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:17 AM
    Liked 1,940 Times in 785 Posts

Premium Member

More companies are releasing commercials now ahead of the big game to generate buzz. It worked in this case because the VHND posted the story.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:31 AM
    Liked 2,657 Times in 1,331 Posts

Someone's been playing with the David Lee Roth soundboard.

http://www.realmofdarkness.net/pc/sb/music/dlr/2

And I have to admit, it IS a lot of fun!

17. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 08:51 AM
    Liked 4,798 Times in 2,449 Posts

Premium Member

It could have been better but its cool.

VH finally plays the Super Bowl. Well in a way....

Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Humans Being
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 10:32 PM
    Liked 192 Times in 87 Posts

Donor

I think it's cool. Seems as though they were trying to build the energy with the vocals before that Super Ass kicking guitar riff comes in. The brief music clip certainly leaves you wanting to hear more...................

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:47 AM
    Liked 18,127 Times in 8,952 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by vcooper3 View Post
    More companies are releasing commercials now ahead of the big game to generate buzz. It worked in this case because the VHND posted the story.
    Just went over and read it.

Steven Tyler is doing a Skittles commercial. Hmm, didn't think he had tasted the rainbow, but maybe he has.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!