Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: Pickup poll

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:40 PM
    Liked 732 Times in 347 Posts

Default Pickup poll

Hi guys. Collecting opinions on what route to go with my project Strat. Right now it's got the EVH Frankenstein humbucker in it. I'm thinking of removing that pickguard assembly, and installing one of the following:

- a Seymour Duncan Everything Axe pickguard assembly

or

- a Fender Vintage Noiseless Clapton Pickguard assembly with the mid-boost and TBX tone control.

I should mention that I already have a Fender Blackie, but it's equipped with Gold Lace Sensors.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 03:13 PM
    Liked 18,158 Times in 8,974 Posts

In my opinion, you should make an exact replica of Mike's Jack Daniels bass guitar and sell it to me for about $50.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

3. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:03 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    Hi guys. Collecting opinions on what route to go with my project Strat. Right now it's got the EVH Frankenstein humbucker in it. I'm thinking of removing that pickguard assembly, and installing one of the following:

- a Seymour Duncan Everything Axe pickguard assembly

or

- a Fender Vintage Noiseless Clapton Pickguard assembly with the mid-boost and TBX tone control.

I should mention that I already have a Fender Blackie, but it's equipped with Gold Lace Sensors.
    Without knowing what sound you'd like and what style of music, I'll assume posting here means you like VH. Keep the Franky.

Last Online

Yeah, I'm not looking to get rid of my Franky rig, but I'm looking to pull that pickguard, and have another loaded pickguard that I can swap it out with. If I feel like having the Franky pickguard, I can always drop it back in.

Here's my dilemma. I have my project Strat that feels amazing to play. I had the neck custom made at Musikraft. It's got a Super-Vee Bladerunner trem, locking tuners and is amazing. My other guitar is a 1993 Blackie with Gold Lace Sensors in it. My problem is that I find myself playing my Blackie most of the night, mainly because of the variety of music we play. I can easily play a Tom Petty tune, go into an Eagles tune, play a Haggard tune, then play a Van Halen tune all on my Blackie. I can play the heavier stuff like ZZ Top and even Thin Lizzy on the Franky equipped Strat, but then I have to switch guitars to play Bryan Adams.

Anyway, I feel like I would be playing my project guitar most of the night if it were a little more versatile. I love the Blackie, and what it can do with the mid-boost. It can cover all the bases. If I set my project Strat up with the Vintage Noiseless Clapton setup, it would be different enough from the Gold Lace equipped Blackie to hear it, but be similar enough to be able to cover all the same bases.

However, I would basically just have two of the same guitar if I set the Project Strat up like the Blackie. If I went with the Everything Axe set, I'd have greater versatility than I do now, and it would be a different tone altogether than the Blackie. I would lose some of the Stratty cleans, but it would get close. The high gain sounds would be great. I demo'd a guitar with this pickup set, and it really does kick ass.

I know the Blackie configuration or the Everything Axe configuration would both get me where I want to be with the high gain tones, but the Everything Axe would be somewhat lacking in the cleans. Just not sure which way to go. The Everything Axe set would for sure be easier to install. I wouldn't have to, but I would want to route the body for the mid-boost circuit on the Clapton setup. Clapton Setup is $250. the EA setup is $229
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 09:17 PM
    Liked 6,972 Times in 5,008 Posts

Premium Member

I'd 100% go for the Clapton set with noiseless pickups and the mid boost circuit.
    Hands down winner, IMO.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

Well, after deliberating on what do to, I've made my decision. On my project Strat, I'm going to remove my single humbucker Frankenstein equipped pickguard, and install the Clapton Vintage Noiseless rig. Mint green pickguard and aged pickups and knobs.

I was going to keep the Frankie pickguard to the side and switch them out when I felt Van Halen-y, but decided against it. It really needs to be in a guitar and available to play, so I ordered a Slick SL54T to put it in. It should actually rock in that guitar, since it has an ash body and a single humbucker route. We'll see.