Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 09:20 AM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

Default Texas dad who took away daughter's phone not guilty of theft

When relationships go bad, here's a perfect result...

DALLAS – A Dallas County jury found a father not guilty Tuesday of theft for taking away his daughter’s cell phone as punishment.

Ronald Jackson, 36, was charged with theft of property of at least $50 but under $500, a Class B misdemeanor.

Dallas County Criminal Court Judge Lisa Green ordered the jury to find Jackson not guilty after ruling the state failed to present sufficient evidence to continue the case.

Jackson said he took his 12-year-old daughter’s cell phone as punishment after finding inappropriate texts in September 2013. A few hours later, officers from the Grand Prairie Police Department showed up at his front door, asking for the iPhone 4 back.

"At that point, I decided the police don't interfere with my ability to parent my daughter," Jackson said.

Michelle Steppe, the child's mother, sees it differently.

"As a mom, I'm upset because — number one — the property belongs to me," she said.

Steppe told jurors on Monday she called police the day her daughter lost the use of her phone for disciplinary reasons.

"You can't take someone's property, regardless if you're a parent or not," Steppe said.

Ronald Jackson and Michelle Steppe readily admit they are not a couple anymore. Jackson said they were never married but had a child together. Steppe said Jackson didn't become a part of his daughter's life until she was seven.

Three months after the phone incident, Jackson received a citation in the mail for theft of property less than $50 in value, a Class C misdemeanor. According to court documents, the city attorney's office offered a plea deal in January 2014 if Jackson returned the phone.

Jackson hired an attorney and requested a jury trial in municipal court.

Court filings indicate the city attorney's office requested the case be dismissed that same month and refiled with the Dallas County District Attorney's office as a more stringent Class B misdemeanor, punishable by six months in jail and a $2,000 fine.

Cameron Gray, a defense attorney representing Jackson, said a warrant was issued, and his client was arrested at his home in the middle of the night in April 2015. Jackson posted a cash bail of $1,500 to get out of jail.

During the two-day trial, Jackson's daughter, now 15, took the stand and testified about her father taking her phone.

"It was the last thing as a mother I wanted my daughter to go through," Steppe says. "I'm always here for my kids."

Steppe said she was confused by the verdict because she purchased the phone and maintained cell phone plans under her name.

"Even if you purchase something with your own money and have a receipt, it's not yours," Steppe says. "Someone can take it from you."

Jackson says the ordeal has permanently ended any chances to have a relationship with his daughter.

"I have to separate myself from them," Jackson says. "I can't ever have a relationship with them again."

Gray says the case is not over. He says he plans to file a federal complaint for civil rights violations for the way his client was treated by the Grand Prairie Police Department and the city attorney's office.

Detective Lyle Gensler with Grand Prairie police told News8 officers made several unsuccessful attempts to return the property to its owner.

"After unsuccessful recover of the property, this case, as with any other of this monetary value, was investigated and those results were provided to the Dallas County District Attorney’s Intake Office who subsequently forwarded it to the trial court for prosecution,” Gensler said in a statement.

Jackson still has the phone.

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/crime...hone/79355512/
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 11:30 AM
    Liked 650 Times in 369 Posts

I can't believe shit like this actually makes it to trial
    Cabo x 20
    Van Halen x 11
    Sammy x 20+
    DLR x 2

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 12:13 PM
    Liked 10,904 Times in 5,743 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    When relationships go bad, here's a perfect result...

DALLAS – A Dallas County jury found a father not guilty Tuesday of theft for taking away his daughter’s cell phone as punishment.

Ronald Jackson, 36, was charged with theft of property of at least $50 but under $500, a Class B misdemeanor.

Dallas County Criminal Court Judge Lisa Green ordered the jury to find Jackson not guilty after ruling the state failed to present sufficient evidence to continue the case.

Jackson said he took his 12-year-old daughter’s cell phone as punishment after finding inappropriate texts in September 2013. A few hours later, officers from the Grand Prairie Police Department showed up at his front door, asking for the iPhone 4 back.

"At that point, I decided the police don't interfere with my ability to parent my daughter," Jackson said.

Michelle Steppe, the child's mother, sees it differently.

"As a mom, I'm upset because — number one — the property belongs to me," she said.

Steppe told jurors on Monday she called police the day her daughter lost the use of her phone for disciplinary reasons.

"You can't take someone's property, regardless if you're a parent or not," Steppe said.

Ronald Jackson and Michelle Steppe readily admit they are not a couple anymore. Jackson said they were never married but had a child together. Steppe said Jackson didn't become a part of his daughter's life until she was seven.

Three months after the phone incident, Jackson received a citation in the mail for theft of property less than $50 in value, a Class C misdemeanor. According to court documents, the city attorney's office offered a plea deal in January 2014 if Jackson returned the phone.

Jackson hired an attorney and requested a jury trial in municipal court.

Court filings indicate the city attorney's office requested the case be dismissed that same month and refiled with the Dallas County District Attorney's office as a more stringent Class B misdemeanor, punishable by six months in jail and a $2,000 fine.

Cameron Gray, a defense attorney representing Jackson, said a warrant was issued, and his client was arrested at his home in the middle of the night in April 2015. Jackson posted a cash bail of $1,500 to get out of jail.

During the two-day trial, Jackson's daughter, now 15, took the stand and testified about her father taking her phone.

"It was the last thing as a mother I wanted my daughter to go through," Steppe says. "I'm always here for my kids."

Steppe said she was confused by the verdict because she purchased the phone and maintained cell phone plans under her name.

"Even if you purchase something with your own money and have a receipt, it's not yours," Steppe says. "Someone can take it from you."

Jackson says the ordeal has permanently ended any chances to have a relationship with his daughter.

"I have to separate myself from them," Jackson says. "I can't ever have a relationship with them again."

Gray says the case is not over. He says he plans to file a federal complaint for civil rights violations for the way his client was treated by the Grand Prairie Police Department and the city attorney's office.

Detective Lyle Gensler with Grand Prairie police told News8 officers made several unsuccessful attempts to return the property to its owner.

"After unsuccessful recover of the property, this case, as with any other of this monetary value, was investigated and those results were provided to the Dallas County District Attorney’s Intake Office who subsequently forwarded it to the trial court for prosecution,” Gensler said in a statement.

Jackson still has the phone.

http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/crime...hone/79355512/
    Way to go mom. Fuckin' idiot.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

4. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 12:47 PM
    Liked 3,126 Times in 1,832 Posts

Premium Member

Sort of sounds like she didn't want this guy in her daughter's life.

Either way, completely dumb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 12:11 PM
    Liked 18,198 Times in 8,991 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cabomiro View Post
    Exactly my thought as well. This couldn't get worked out without wasting the time of the police and the courts?
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 12:47 PM
    Liked 3,126 Times in 1,832 Posts

Premium Member

Looks like mom's spouse is a Grand Prairie cop.

Dad not giving the phone back is a bit childish, but what escalated this was that mom got the cops involved the same day. She didn't even really give him a chance to return it.

And while it was childish to continue not to do it, I honestly have a hard time blaming him considering that she immediately got the police involved and when he told them it was a family issue, they arrested him early the next morning at 2am. I'd have a hard time not keeping the phone as a "fuck you" too.

Either way, he probably should have been the bigger person after a while and given it back to mom. On the other hand, getting the cops involved is ridiculous.

Now dad is out of the girl's life completely. What are the odds this girl grows up a nice, respectful, well-adjusted young woman?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 12:37 PM
    Liked 1,126 Times in 617 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cabomiro View Post
    I'm just relieved to see that it's not just my country idiocy and political correctness run riot whilst civil liberties and common sense are eroded.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 02:05 PM
    Liked 1,140 Times in 650 Posts

Mom- total fucking bitch that caused this whole thing.
    Dad- you did the right thing, your ex will sacrifice good parenting to be her daughter's friend and a chance to get you into any trouble she can.
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

10. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 10:58 AM
    Liked 6,712 Times in 3,730 Posts

What horrible f-ing parenting. We're doomed.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 2,243 Times in 1,359 Posts

This thing dragged thru court for 3 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!

and they came to the guys house in the middle of the night and rousted him out of bed to arrest him?

Yeah, this has a lot to do with the Mom's spouse being a cop, I'm sure. No one would expect to get arrested in the middle of the night an hauled off for an offense that originally only required a ticket sent in the mail

there is probably more to this story, but in the end, the Mom got what she really wanted...the biological father out of the picture

wonder what the child support situation is....she can harass him with that for years to come if she wants retaliation

this is all ridiculous, and I can see where he wants to sue, and honestly, this is an abuse of the system and he should sue.

13. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 12:46 PM
    Liked 7,898 Times in 4,620 Posts

Premium Member

I'm more disturbed about the police than the mom.

This is embarrasing. Oath to uphold or not.

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 12:13 PM
    Liked 10,904 Times in 5,743 Posts

Premium Member

I'd like to think that if my wife and I ever were separated or divorced that she would back me up in a situation like this where I was disciplining one of our boys by taking his phone away for using it inappropriately.

If mom was interested in being a good parent and not some vindictive bitch she would have inquired about the offense and honored and assisted with the punishment that dad deemed appropriate. Sounds to me like she was more interested in being her daughter's friend and using this as an opportunity to turn her daughter against him.

And to the cop who is mom's spouse: You sir are a first rate douchebag and a prime example of why people don't like cops. You had an opportunity to tell your wife that this is a matter that needs to be resolved between you and the girl's father, instead you use your position of power to have him arrested on a bogus charge which then proceeded to waste the good citizen's that pay your salary tax money on this nonsense. You sir are not fit to be a public servant and ought to resign for pulling a stunt like this.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

16. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 10:58 AM
    Liked 6,712 Times in 3,730 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    I'm more disturbed about the police than the mom.

This is embarrasing. Oath to uphold or not.
    There's plenty of blame to go around on this one. Just horrible. What an example for the kid to follow

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk