Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars, Dreams
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:51 PM
    Liked 168 Times in 75 Posts

Default New Guitar Help

I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a new guitar in the next couple of months. I've narrowed it down to the following so far: EVH Wolf Special, Music Man Axis, PRS S2 Custom, & Gibson SG. My max budget is $1k (I know some of these will be difficult to find for that in used condition). I haven't owned any of these before, I've only played them in stores. I wanted to know if anyone here has any experience with these guitars or if anyone has any other recommendations I should look for. Thanks in advance!

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,354 Times in 3,194 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

You may be able to get a decent deal on a 2015 Gibson sg. Main reason is for some odd reason people didn't like the g force tuners and there were deals to be had on those before they changed them back. I personally like the g force and have one on my les Paul traditional. Recommend the sg too. Played one and almost bought it.

Sent from my iPhone using swagger

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:07 AM
    Liked 2,861 Times in 1,072 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

What do you have right now? An EVH Wolfgang Stealth, right? Hard tail or trem? Any other guitars?

If you're looking for decent consistency between instruments then another Wolfgang or the Axis would be a good bet. If you want to add a different animal to the arsenal the S2 and or the SG would be good options.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars, Dreams
    Last Online

I have a USA Wolf Stealth, an 80s Kramer Pacer, and an 80s Fender strat. The Wolf is a hardtail model.

They are all very different animals, but provide their own uniqueness.

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 07:24 AM
    Liked 734 Times in 347 Posts

Given your budget, I would say a Wolf Special would be your best option. Out of all of them though, I would get the EBMM Axis, but you probably won't find one under $1k

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:18 PM
    Liked 461 Times in 200 Posts

given your budget I'd say grab a wolf special.... I think you would like the playability, feel and overall look of the guitar. Probably the best bang for your buck.

Rob

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

09.15.17 @ 08:03 AM
    Liked 1,395 Times in 441 Posts

I have had an SG for almost 20 years. The guitar is so solid and reliable I used to joke that it should be hung up in the garage with the power tools. It is still a badass guitar to this day. I actually put a little love into it recently, replaced the nut, redid the intonation, and fixed up the three-way switch which got a little worn out over the years.

I bought mine new around 1996 or 1997 for about $800 back then. I'd say I've gotten a million times my money's worth.

My son's friend who plays guitar came over and of all of my guitars he just zeroed in on my SG. It made him want to get one.

That said, the actual way the guitar sits on your body isn't ideal as the back is essentially just flat. That turns some people off. Not Angus though, apparently. Also the tone is a tad narrow -- it's gonna sound like an SG no matter what. But considering it's one of the coolest tones in rock, that's a cool thing.

I don't know much about EVH guitars, or PRS -- except that I have heard some of the craziest stories you could ever imagine about Mr. Smith himself. He is a real piece of work.

KBD3

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:51 AM
    Liked 6,982 Times in 5,015 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Dodds View Post
    I have had an SG for almost 20 years. The guitar is so solid and reliable I used to joke that it should be hung up in the garage with the power tools. It is still a badass guitar to this day. I actually put a little love into it recently, replaced the nut, redid the intonation, and fixed up the three-way switch which got a little worn out over the years.

I bought mine new around 1996 or 1997 for about $800 back then. I'd say I've gotten a million times my money's worth.

My son's friend who plays guitar came over and of all of my guitars he just zeroed in on my SG. It made him want to get one.

That said, the actual way the guitar sits on your body isn't ideal as the back is essentially just flat. That turns some people off. Not Angus though, apparently. Also the tone is a tad narrow -- it's gonna sound like an SG no matter what. But considering it's one of the coolest tones in rock, that's a cool thing.

I don't know much about EVH guitars, or PRS -- except that I have heard some of the craziest stories you could ever imagine about Mr. Smith himself. He is a real piece of work.

KBD3
    Here's an honest question, that I can't recall at the moment, if I've ever asked you... Being that you're a MASSIVE EVH fan (as I am!), have you ever owned one of his EBMM guitars? We all know your striped replica prowess, and I'm not in any way trying to spin this into an era vs an era thing. Just curious.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

To the OP:

I'd go with an EBMM Axis if the right deal came along.
    The EVH Wolf Specials, or even the new 2016 Standards would also be a great bet. In my opinion, of course!
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

09.15.17 @ 08:03 AM
    Liked 1,395 Times in 441 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    Here's an honest question, that I can't recall at the moment, if I've ever asked you... Being that you're a MASSIVE EVH fan (as I am!), have you ever owned one of his EBMM guitars? We all know your striped replica prowess, and I'm not in any way trying to spin this into an era vs an era thing. Just curious.
    No -- 100% ignorant. Although my band mate plays one and it's pretty awesome.

KBD3

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

No -- 100% ignorant. Although my band mate plays one and it's pretty awesome.

KBD3
    Again..., being "era neutral", may I ask why?
    I grew up with the Dave era too. Loved the striped axes, but when I saw the amber EBMM? Game over - for me.

Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies & Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:54 AM
    Liked 5,127 Times in 2,425 Posts

KBD3
    My main guitar is an SG bought around 1998. Love it. (like this...)

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:02 AM
    Liked 11,594 Times in 4,942 Posts

Default New Guitar Help

SGs are cool but the short scale takes some getting used to if you normally play Strats.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

17. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Top Of The World cpusolutions2001's Avatar
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 16 Times in 5 Posts

I would recommend a used Peavey Wolfgang Standard. I love these guitars and have quite a few. They are solid guitars and built like a tank. I have a the new EVH models and honestly prefer the Peavey. Look on guitar center used and good deals pop up all the time for the Standards. Even the Specials are good, but only in solid colors (stay away from the sunburst ones). If you are not into tremolo (since you are looking at an SG) there is a used Peavey Wolfgang Standard hardtail in Ivory that is a great deal. You may call the store and see if its a Pat Pend. model i.e. there is no Pat number on the back...if so its a 97 or 98 model.

19. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars, Dreams
    Last Online

I appreciate the feedback so far!