Favorite VH Album

Thriller
    Favorite VH Song

I Fergot th' Fuckin' Words
    Last Online

08.10.17 @ 06:04 AM
    Liked 192 Times in 70 Posts

Default EVH Wolfgang Limited Tour Relic

We train dogs for cattle and sheep herding. They're very different. Sheep are a lot like supermodels - they bunch together, they rattle very easily. Cattle are like drunks at a hockey game - two will want to fight: "Who are you and what's with your badge?"

Two of them will be like: "Leave them alone, let's go see the game." Another one is lost: "Where'd you guys go?" The dog has to deal with all of that. You work them off a whistle. It's the original video game.
    - DLR 2012

"I like to listen to my music, not look at it on a spectrum analyzer." - tcantafio

Van Halen reminded us last night of why we loved them in the first place. They helped us to get past all the bullshit around us and remind us to have a little fucking fun in the midst of it all. - Reckless Fable

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 11:20 AM
    Liked 18,104 Times in 8,945 Posts

I think this is being discussed in the NAMM 2016 thread if mods want to merge.

Yeah, that is some serious coin, not sure that it being played during ATBL makes it worth $10K more, but I am sure there is a market for it among collectors.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:16 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

It looks cool, but I don't understand why it's SO expensive. Maybe 'cos there's only 20, but still, it's a lot of $$'s compared to other relic models out there.

Quite like to new matt green Wolfie though - that looks pretty cool too !
    Does the noise in my head bother you ?

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:16 PM
    Liked 911 Times in 467 Posts

Well, now we have all these good HD pictures out there so we can just make our own replicas.

Last Online

12.12.17 @ 12:14 PM
    Liked 7,612 Times in 3,991 Posts

Eddie Van Halen: The Accountant years

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

AJW

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 12:16 PM
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yaminub View Post
    Well, now we have all these good HD pictures out there so we can just make our own replicas.
    Indeed!
    Just look at how cool 5150rob's replica of Ed's 2015 tour guitar turned out... Spot on vibe for a fraction of the cost of one of these new mortgage killer/midlife crisis models! LOL.

I'm not a fan of the Les Paul-esque block inlays, but even Rob did a great job by using those fretboard decals. I'm still going to buy a couple sets of the pearl Sambora star ones, to throw on a couple of my guitars.
    Last edited by RRvh1; 01.23.16 at 12:44 PM.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Ed View Post
    It looks cool, but I don't understand why it's SO expensive. Maybe 'cos there's only 20, but still, it's a lot of $$'s compared to other relic models out there.

Quite like to new matt green Wolfie though - that looks pretty cool too !
    I like the olive drab/army green one, as well.
    Love the color and black hardware combo.

Eddie praised those "budget" Wolfie's in a recent article, saying he used one
    for "I'll wait" or some tune, and preferred them over the EVH stripe models.

For decorative purposes, i also love the EVH micro amp/mini stack.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:00 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    I like the olive drab/army green one, as well.
    Love the color and black hardware combo.

Eddie praised those "budget" Wolfie's in a recent article, saying he used one
    for "I'll wait" or some tune, and preferred them over the EVH stripe models.

For decorative purposes, i also love the EVH micro amp/mini stack.
    He prefers the standard because it has a neck pickup for the I'll Wait solo. He should have stuck with the red USA Wolf. He's marketing. I don't blame him. But c'mon, there's no way you can tell me he prefers the standard to the red Wolf. Or probably the Star. When he switched from the Stealth Wolfgang to a Charvel Art Series in 2012 the Charvel sounded like crap by comparison. It had a harsh upper mid to it that jumped out and was a bit annoying to the ear compared to his Stealth. I don't remember what he played when I saw them last year. I'll have to watch the YT clip and give a listen. My Stripe Series is so good. I can't see a standard competing on any level.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by AFU View Post
    He prefers the standard because it has a neck pickup for the I'll Wait solo. He should have stuck with the red USA Wolf. He's marketing. I don't blame him. But c'mon, there's no way you can tell me he prefers the standard to the red Wolf. Or probably the Star. When he switched from the Stealth Wolfgang to a Charvel Art Series in 2012 the Charvel sounded like crap by comparison. It had a harsh upper mid to it that jumped out and was a bit annoying to the ear compared to his Stealth. I don't remember what he played when I saw them last year. I'll have to watch the YT clip and give a listen. My Stripe Series is so good. I can't see a standard competing on any level.
    Yeah, he mentioned that, yet all his Wolfgang's have neck pickups.
    Are they disengaged?

The way he stated his praise, it sounded like he was in marketing mode:
    The standards sound just as good for a fraction of the price!

That kinda vibe.

I'm sure they ARE great guitars for the cost, though.

The older Charvel Art series are fetching over three times the price of the current EVH stripe series,
    on eBay.

Are they that much better?

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

The only beef (if you can call it that?) is the lack of a neck pickup on Ed's striped series models. Of course, I'm not talking about the limited runs of the Wolfgang models like the r/b/w or the Bee inspired stop tailpiece one.

Great guitars, yet limited, in a way. My opinion.
    I've often thought that it would be cool to have even a single coil sized humbucker in the neck. Could even help disguise them with the graphics themselves, the way other guitars have their pickups "hidden" by the airbrushing over top of them. Most people wouldn't even notice unless looking at the guitars up close. Wouldn't even need an added selector switch, as a push/pull volume pot would suffice.

Just something I've thought about.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

I think it's neat that Ed played a new standard Wolf in concert.
    Yes, it was for the neck pickup's rounder tone on certain solos. It's a sound many of us have come to love from Edward, not to mention the countless other tracks many of us jam along to while playing these guitars...

Regarding the Wolf Standard? I don't think it's a stretch at all for Eddie to like them. He might see them as a bit of a novelty, but really, much of his iconic material was played on a mutt guitar that cost him about a hundred a fifty bucks! Go figure.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:00 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    Yeah, he mentioned that, yet all his Wolfgang's have neck pickups.
    Are they disengaged?

The way he stated his praise, it sounded like he was in marketing mode:
    The standards sound just as good for a fraction of the price!

That kinda vibe.

I'm sure they ARE great guitars for the cost, though.

The older Charvel Art series are fetching over three times the price of the current EVH stripe series,
    on eBay.

Are they that much better?
    I played a r/w/b EVH stripe series and a Y/b Charvel Art Series at GC. Charvel sucked. EVH was better in every way. Tone, playability, neck feel and perceived quality/overall feel while playing. I wanted to like the y/b Charvel. I really did. It was just lifeless. That's how I describe it. Lifeless. I remember when the Charvels came out and I played a R/b/w one against a guys homemade Franky copy and the Franky killed that Charvel too. I found it funny a guitar a guy built at home sounded more like VH than the guitar with Eds name on it. He wouldn't tell me what pickup was in the Franky copy. I think he didn't know as he bought it from another dude that built it for him if memory serves. He was a GC employee and this was in the store. First time I wanted a Franky replica. It was that good. So I guess I find the Charvels underwhelming. I know some guys have them and love them. Maybe I played two dogs.

Last Online

I played a r/w/b EVH stripe series and a Y/b Charvel Art Series at GC. Charvel sucked. EVH was better in every way. Tone, playability, neck feel and perceived quality/overall feel while playing. I wanted to like the y/b Charvel. I really did. It was just lifeless. That's how I describe it. Lifeless. I remember when the Charvels came out and I played a R/b/w one against a guys homemade Franky copy and the Franky killed that Charvel too. I found it funny a guitar a guy built at home sounded more like VH than the guitar with Eds name on it. He wouldn't tell me what pickup was in the Franky copy. I think he didn't know as he bought it from another dude that built it for him if memory serves. He was a GC employee and this was in the store. First time I wanted a Franky replica. It was that good. So I guess I find the Charvels underwhelming. I know some guys have them and love them. Maybe I played two dogs.
    Probably because the Art series are long discontinued, the price goes way up.
    They were a big deal at the time, though.
    Never in a million years, did i ever expect to see Eddie embrace his guitar past to
    the extent that he releases an "Unchained" and "Star" replica.
    I always figured we'd just get the three big one's.

Sometimes i come across those old 1982 Charvel Bee's that Rick James guitarist
    used to play.

I wonder how those play?

I'm sure they played like a revelation circa early 1980's, compared to the Gibsons
    & Fenders.

Eruption
    Last Online

06.30.17 @ 01:26 AM
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    I think it's neat that Ed played a new standard Wolf in concert.
    Yes, it was for the neck pickup's rounder tone on certain solos. It's a sound many of us have come to love from Edward, not to mention the countless other tracks many of us jam along to while playing these guitars...

Regarding the Wolf Standard? I don't think it's a stretch at all for Eddie to like them. He might see them as a bit of a novelty, but really, much of his iconic material was played on a mutt guitar that cost him about a hundred a fifty bucks! Go figure.
    more than likely a guitar set up for him unlike any one of us would get. probably different pickups etc. seriously i doubt he was playing a stock one.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 06:55 AM
    Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts

[IMG]FullSizeRender 36.jpg[/IMG]

Finally got this!