Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:09 PM
    Liked 801 Times in 436 Posts

Premium Member

Default Tube Amp Recommendations

So I bought this Bugera 6262-212 combo amp a while back. Actually like it quite a bit. I play at home and in a little garage band who occasionally play small gigs. The amp is 120 watts and is way too powerful for the situations in which I play it. But I DO like the clean tone. The amp distortion is good but not perfect and hard to fully leverage because the amp is so freaking loud. So sometimes I use a Mad Professor pedal for distortion. I bought it during a Guitar Center blowout and it was a great deal.

Ever restless, though, I'm thinking of getting a less powerful tube amp if I can find a deal. Recently played a Fender Hot Rod, and the clean channel was killer. But I keep reading they have resistor problems. I don't want to get rid of an essentially brand new amp for something that is going to give me trouble.

Looking for recommendations for a replacement tube amp, probably in the 40-watt range. Will probably buy used to avoid sticker shock. Let me know what you guys think.

TK

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:22 PM
    Liked 737 Times in 350 Posts

I would suggest an older (USA made) Peavey Classic 30. It has a clean tone comparable to the Hot Rod Deluxe, and a much better drive channel. Some people don't like the Blue Marvel speaker that they come with, but it's not bad once broken in.

The drive channel is good on it's own, or if you want more drive, a Boss Super-Overdrive or a Tube Screamer will give you that extra edge for higher gain stuff.

I'm currently using a Hot Rod Deluxe (Red October), and a Peavey Classic 30. The HRD is my main amp, and I prefer it. The Red October comes with a Red Coat Wizard speaker. I'm only using the clean side on each amp, and using a 5150 Overdrive pedal, or a Super-Badass Distortion to get my dirt tone. Each amp handles these pedals very well, but the edge goes to the HRD.

As far as the resistor issue with the HRD, it's the two big cement resistors for channel switching and reverb. They get very hot, and can cause cold solder joint problems over time. The symptoms are random channel switching and reverb cutout. It's an easy fix though, just have them replaced with the same resistors with longer legs for better heat dissipation. You can also order the Fromel Mod Kit for $85, which comes with the resistors in it, as well as some power stiffening caps and other nice tweaks to get the most from the HRD. I haven't installed my Fromel kit yet. I'm debating on waiting until I start to have problems with the amp before I put it in, as it will void the warranty.

Anyhow, either amp is a good choice for clean only, but if you want the gain generated from the amp, the HRD sounds like ass on the gain channel compared to the Classic 30.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    I would suggest an older (USA made) Peavey Classic 30. It has a clean tone comparable to the Hot Rod Deluxe, and a much better drive channel. Some people don't like the Blue Marvel speaker that they come with, but it's not bad once broken in.

The drive channel is good on it's own, or if you want more drive, a Boss Super-Overdrive or a Tube Screamer will give you that extra edge for higher gain stuff.

I'm currently using a Hot Rod Deluxe (Red October), and a Peavey Classic 30. The HRD is my main amp, and I prefer it. The Red October comes with a Red Coat Wizard speaker. I'm only using the clean side on each amp, and using a 5150 Overdrive pedal, or a Super-Badass Distortion to get my dirt tone. Each amp handles these pedals very well, but the edge goes to the HRD.

As far as the resistor issue with the HRD, it's the two big cement resistors for channel switching and reverb. They get very hot, and can cause cold solder joint problems over time. The symptoms are random channel switching and reverb cutout. It's an easy fix though, just have them replaced with the same resistors with longer legs for better heat dissipation. You can also order the Fromel Mod Kit for $85, which comes with the resistors in it, as well as some power stiffening caps and other nice tweaks to get the most from the HRD. I haven't installed my Fromel kit yet. I'm debating on waiting until I start to have problems with the amp before I put it in, as it will void the warranty.

Anyhow, either amp is a good choice for clean only, but if you want the gain generated from the amp, the HRD sounds like ass on the gain channel compared to the Classic 30.
    Thanks, man. Good food for thought.

TK

Eruption
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:33 PM
    Liked 266 Times in 142 Posts

Premium Member

I had two US-made Hot Rod DeVilles and loved them. Never had a problem. Take a look at the Roland Cube series. I have an 80xl and a 30x. I got the 30x for $75 OTD. It was a floor model at the local GC. They will get any sound you want.

Eruption
    Last Online

Premium Member

I had two US-made Hot Rod DeVilles and loved them. Never had a problem. Take a look at the Roland Cube series. I have an 80xl and a 30x. I got the 30x for $75 OTD. It was a floor model at the local GC. They will get any sound you want.

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
    Thanks, man. I'm leaning toward the Hod Rod just because I've HEARD it. I can run pedals for distortion. I agree with nobozos that the gain channel is poor. Also plan to check out that Peavey Classic 30. I love those little Rolands, they sound great. But I like to run my modulation pedals in the effects loop. The Cubes don't have that do they? I'm not wild about on-board effects, usually. I like to tweak my chorus and delay based on the song...

TK

Eruption
    Last Online

Premium Member

The 80xl has a loop and a jack for a footswitch, though I've never seen a footswitch for these amps. I don't know if they have them with dedicated buttons for each built-in effect. The 30x has just footswitch jack. I'm not a fan of modeling amps, but these Cubes really have just enough features that I don't have to haul my pedalboard into the other room when I'm using a Cube. I use a half stack with my pedalboard when playing in my practice room or at band practice. A few times we've had practices in my living room with no drummer and just played along with backing tracks. The Cubes are great for that. Really can't say enough great things about them and, for the price, they can't be beaten.

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by pickslide View Post
    Thanks, man. I'm leaning toward the Hod Rod just because I've HEARD it. I can run pedals for distortion. I agree with nobozos that the gain channel is poor. Also plan to check out that Peavey Classic 30. I love those little Rolands, they sound great. But I like to run my modulation pedals in the effects loop. The Cubes don't have that do they? I'm not wild about on-board effects, usually. I like to tweak my chorus and delay based on the song...

TK
    Here's what I've gone to since I've reorganized my approach to my rig. When I was generating my gain from my amp, I used the effects loop for my delay and chorus. It sounded better that way with the pre-amp being driven hard to generate the high gain. The modulation came after the gain generating part of the amp, which made it sound the way it should.

When I switched to generating my gain in front of my amp with a pedal, it changed everything. The Hot Rod Deluxe has an outstanding clean channel, but when I put my modulation effects in the loop, it was noisy as fuck. Sounded terrible. I tried putting everything in front of the amp as a last resort, and it sounded perfect. It was just like when I had them running through the loop in my higher gain amps as long as I stayed on the clean channel.

So, my signal path right now is:
    -Guitar
    -Cry Baby
    -Korg Pitch Black tuner
    -5150 Overdrive
    -Super-Badass Distortion
    -Analog Chorus
    -Carbon Copy
    -Micro Amp +
    -Hot Rod Deluxe

I use the Micro Amp + for lead boost, and it works extremely well. Now, I don't know if they designed the 5150 Overdrive using the Hot Rod Deluxe as the demo amp, but with the right settings, that pedal into a HRD is almost indistinguishable from a 5150 III Combo. When I run it into the Classic 30, I can achieve close to the same tone, but I have to bring the gain up on the pedal higher to accomplish the same tone.

If you aren't into shelling out $200 for the new 5150 Overdrive, I highly recommend the Super-Badass Distortion at half the price. It can work as either a Tube Screamer type pedal below 12 o'clock on the gain dial in front of a dirt channel on your amp, or a hot distortion pedal in front of your clean channel above 12 o'clock.

If you really are insistent on running your modulation effects through the loop, I would not recommend the HRD. I would suggest getting a Classic 30, and using the clean and dirt channels. I would put a Super-Badass in front of it, and put a Micro Amp + as your last pedal in the effects loop for lead boost (works great). This setup would accomplish a couple things. First, it allows you to boost your leads in any channel. Second, it takes your two channel amp, and makes it a virtual 4 channel amp. With the Super-Badass in front, you would have your clean and your boosted clean with the Super-Badass(2 virtual channels), and on the dirt channel, you would have the same thing(2 more virtual channels). You wouldn't have to count on the Super-Badass or channel switching to boost your leads, as it is all done in the loop with the Micro-Amp. You also have the versatility of turning up the gain on the Super-Badass on your clean channel to get an entirely different type of gain.

If you were to switch out the speaker in the Classic 30, a Celestion Vintage 30, or a G12M-65 Creamback are excellent matches for this amp.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Premium Member

Good info, guys, thanks a lot. I really don't NEED a new amp. But you know how that goes. I would like to have something with less power. I can always put a volume pedal in the loop and use it as a master volume.

But at some point, I WILL probably downgrade wattage for noise and weight purposes. I'll keep all this in mind.

TK

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:38 PM
    Liked 6,983 Times in 5,016 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
    The 80xl has a loop and a jack for a footswitch, though I've never seen a footswitch for these amps. I don't know if they have them with dedicated buttons for each built-in effect. The 30x has just footswitch jack. I'm not a fan of modeling amps, but these Cubes really have just enough features that I don't have to haul my pedalboard into the other room when I'm using a Cube. I use a half stack with my pedalboard when playing in my practice room or at band practice. A few times we've had practices in my living room with no drummer and just played along with backing tracks. The Cubes are great for that. Really can't say enough great things about them and, for the price, they can't be beaten.
    I just looked at a Cube 80 XL on eBay. Didn't look like it had an effects loop to me... I love the amps, yet miss that very handy feature.
    Did you by chance mean the delay/looper?

If not, I'd appreciate your thoughts on how to set it up to run outboard pedals after the preamp section. The jacks on the back just looked like regular inputs for pedals to control the amps existing features. I'm confused... LOL.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Top Jimmy
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:25 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

I also have a 6260. I bought an egnater tweaker as a lower volume alternative for home. Now I seem to be gravitating back to the big amp all the time. I love the classic 30 too. Wish it was still here.

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by rearviewmirror1972 View Post
    I also have a 6260. I bought an egnater tweaker as a lower volume alternative for home. Now I seem to be gravitating back to the big amp all the time. I love the classic 30 too. Wish it was still here.
    Here's what I appreciate about the Classic 30. With my new rig going into the Hot Rod Deluxe, I get exactly the tone I want from my pedals into the clean channel. I will not use the lead channel on the HRD, because it sounds like ass. If, let's say, I blew my power supply on my pedalboard, I would not be happy with having to plug straight into the HRD and gig with it for the night.

If my pedalboard was out with my Classic 30, I could easily set it up to sound the way I wanted using only the amp with reverb and be happy. I'd still have a great clean channel, and the high gain channel would sound good too. By itself, the Classic 30 could handle the gig for any type of music I wanted to play without pedals. The HRD would be lacking in the gain department. It could do it, but it just wouldn't sound good on the high gain stuff.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    Here's what I appreciate about the Classic 30. With my new rig going into the Hot Rod Deluxe, I get exactly the tone I want from my pedals into the clean channel. I will not use the lead channel on the HRD, because it sounds like ass. If, let's say, I blew my power supply on my pedalboard, I would not be happy with having to plug straight into the HRD and gig with it for the night.

If my pedalboard was out with my Classic 30, I could easily set it up to sound the way I wanted using only the amp with reverb and be happy. I'd still have a great clean channel, and the high gain channel would sound good too. By itself, the Classic 30 could handle the gig for any type of music I wanted to play without pedals. The HRD would be lacking in the gain department. It could do it, but it just wouldn't sound good on the high gain stuff.
    Gotcha. That pushes me toward the Peavey. I use the lead channel when I can on my Bugera now. But I also like using the Mad Professor because I can dial in a greater variety of distortion sounds with the twist of the "Brown" knob. In short, I like having both. I like using tube distortion when I can because the bass end is so killer. But my band plays everything from Van Halen to Jackson Browne, so it's nice to have more control over the quality/type of distortion.

TK

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:47 AM
    Liked 928 Times in 555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    I just looked at a Cube 80 XL on eBay. Didn't look like it had an effects loop to me... I love the amps, yet miss that very handy feature.
    Did you by chance mean the delay/looper?

If not, I'd appreciate your thoughts on how to set it up to run outboard pedals after the preamp section. The jacks on the back just looked like regular inputs for pedals to control the amps existing features. I'm confused... LOL.
    With all the included effects I can see why Roland wound`t include an effects loop

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:47 AM
    Liked 928 Times in 555 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pickslide View Post
    Gotcha. That pushes me toward the Peavey. I use the lead channel when I can on my Bugera now. But I also like using the Mad Professor because I can dial in a greater variety of distortion sounds with the twist of the "Brown" knob. In short, I like having both. I like using tube distortion when I can because the bass end is so killer. But my band plays everything from Van Halen to Jackson Browne, so it's nice to have more control over the quality/type of distortion.

TK

Something to think about as the Peavey Classic 30 uses 4 EL84s power tubes and has a slighter smaller cab than the HRD. The HRD runs 2 nice big 6L6s and you`ll get more headroom out of it . I haven`t had the Classic 30 in years but it did have a nice OD channel as Bozo said but I`ve never really been a fan of EL84s and with four of em that leaves more tube for potential failure , you`ll get much better thump and chime out of the 6L6s in the HRD not to mention an all around bigger sound but as Bozo also said your gonna need a pedal with that amp. I`d think with either am your gonna need to swap the stock speaker to get the sound your after.

Or you could just buy one of these and call it a day