Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:12 AM
    Liked 1,483 Times in 1,012 Posts

Premium Member

Default Americans are world's most charitable, top 1% provide 1/3rd of all donations

Americans are world's most charitable, top 1% provide 1/3rd of all donations

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/am...rticle/2580876

Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

"I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

"McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:13 PM
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts

Premium Member

All you need to know is that while Warren Buffet thinks violence should be used to get richer people to pay more in taxes when they could do so voluntarily, he is going to leave most of his fortune to Bill and Melinda Gates' charitable foundation.

While this story isn't surprising to me, it's not going to convince those who believe other, richer people's income and property is owned by everyone, not by those who have it.
    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 01.19.16 at 11:11 AM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:09 PM
    Liked 801 Times in 436 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    All you need to know is that while Warren Buffet thinks violence should be used to get richer people to pay more in taxes when they could do so voluntarily, he is going to leave most of his fortune to Bill and Melinda Gates' charitable foundation.

While this story isn't surprising to me, it's not going to convince those who believe other, richer people's income and property is owned by everyone, not by those who have it.
    I saw Rachel Maddow and Russel Simmons on Bill Maher one night talking about raising taxes on the rich. They were both for it, of course. In the course of the conversation, Maddow blurted out a bunch of one-sided statistics about wealth distribution, and Simmons said he would gladly pay more taxes. He also talked about financing and/or running up to six different charities. None of the conservatives on the panel was smart enough to say, "Well, what if we lowered your taxes? Couldn't you, and wouldn't you run even MORE charities?"...

TK

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:13 PM
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by pickslide View Post
    I saw Rachel Maddow and Russel Simmons on Bill Maher one night talking about raising taxes on the rich. They were both for it, of course. In the course of the conversation, Maddow blurted out a bunch of one-sided statistics about wealth distribution, and Simmons said he would gladly pay more taxes. He also talked about financing and/or running up to six different charities. None of the conservatives on the panel was smart enough to say, "Well, what if we lowered your taxes? Couldn't you, and wouldn't you run even MORE charities?"...

TK
    I have noticed that smart non-liberals rarely go on that show, and if they do are rarely welcomed back.

Nick Gillespie, editor in chief of Reason.com and Reason.tv (the Reason Foundation is a libertarian think tank where both Drew Carey and David Koch sit on the board) appeared twice, held people accountable for not knowing what they were talking about (even getting challenged to 'take it outside' at one point), and that was it for him. Since, Reason Magazine editor in chief Matt Welch has appeared. While very smart, Welch isn't as quick on his feet and not nearly as good in that format.

Gillespie had to school both Maher and Maddow that no, in fact, Operation Fast and Furious was not a program started by Bush that Obama ended. It goes deeper than that and you don't have to like Republicans to say so. At one point, exasperated, Gillespie even got Maddow to say, "I'm not even a Democrat, dude!"