Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 38
  1. #1
    Good Enough nobozos's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.15.00
    Location
    Pekin, Il U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,778
    Last Online

    05.09.18 @ 01:14 PM
    Likes
    25
    Liked 752 Times in 360 Posts

    Default Well, that was unexpected...

    Went to San Francisco for our Anniversary, and this happened...

    http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/sam...versary-video/
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.


  2. #2
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    11.10.10
    Location
    North Wales, United Kingdom
    Posts
    10,179
    Favorite VH Album

    Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

    The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

    04.21.18 @ 05:47 PM
    Likes
    1,574
    Liked 1,242 Times in 852 Posts

    Default

    Lovely!
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

    "Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

    "You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

    "Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

    "You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980


  3. #3
    Sinner's Swing! ED-A-HOLIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.11.01
    Age
    43
    Posts
    2,945
    Favorite VH Album

    The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

    The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

    05.22.18 @ 02:06 PM
    Likes
    401
    Liked 195 Times in 98 Posts

    Default

    good for Sam
    lucky fan
    "I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

    "Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and I´ve got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

    WOLFGANG did the IMPOSSIBLE, he brought back VAN HALEN, DEAL WITH IT.

  4. #4
    Eruption
    Join Date
    03.20.04
    Posts
    1,374
    Last Online

    06.30.17 @ 12:26 AM
    Likes
    207
    Liked 131 Times in 74 Posts

    Default

    no shit. think Ed or Al would do that. dont even need to ask.

  5. #5
    Good Enough vaijuju's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.04.09
    Age
    52
    Location
    France
    Posts
    1,894
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Little guitars
    Last Online

    05.24.18 @ 07:34 AM
    Likes
    692
    Liked 1,279 Times in 578 Posts

    Default

    Cool story !

  6. #6
    Baluchitherium Harpospoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.12.12
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    5,040
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

    Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

    05.23.18 @ 11:22 PM
    Likes
    12,576
    Liked 3,424 Times in 1,804 Posts

    Default

    As always, he seems like a cool guy to hang out with.

  7. #7
    Atomic Punk Raldo's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.11.00
    Location
    Cromwell, CT USA
    Posts
    17,616
    Favorite VH Song

    Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

    05.24.18 @ 01:04 AM
    Likes
    2,145
    Liked 1,723 Times in 1,057 Posts

    Default

    Very cool, indeed.
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

    In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

    "High speed, low drag."

    "Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

    Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

    Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

    got tequila?

    http://keepitaliveforever.com

  8. #8
    Atomic Punk Dave's Dreidel's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.10.05
    Age
    47
    Location
    P.F. Chang, South Korea
    Posts
    40,655
    Favorite VH Album

    Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

    The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

    05.23.18 @ 07:35 PM
    Likes
    3,997
    Liked 20,525 Times in 10,218 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Sam's a cool dude. He's got his issues, but so do we all.

    Nice story.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

    Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

    David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

    A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

    Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

  9. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  10. #9
    Good Enough mike zack's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.26.00
    Age
    41
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    2,476
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    05.24.18 @ 06:13 AM
    Likes
    234
    Liked 716 Times in 340 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    Went to San Francisco for our Anniversary, and this happened...

    http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/sam...versary-video/
    Curious to hear what you wrote in your letter that made Sam want to reach out.
    VH RULES!
    21 Shows Attended 1993-2015

  11. #10
    Baluchitherium Scott's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.01.99
    Age
    47
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,355
    Favorite VH Song

    Humans Being
    Last Online

    05.24.18 @ 04:04 AM
    Likes
    511
    Liked 801 Times in 446 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Sam needs to STFU

    Winners come and go; legends are forever.

  12. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:


  13. #11
    Atomic Punk Dave's Dreidel's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.10.05
    Age
    47
    Location
    P.F. Chang, South Korea
    Posts
    40,655
    Favorite VH Album

    Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

    The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

    05.23.18 @ 07:35 PM
    Likes
    3,997
    Liked 20,525 Times in 10,218 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Smart by Sam. Good PR for his brand, and he gets his restaurant name into the picture as well.

    That guy could show some Fortune 500 companies how to market themselves.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

    Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

    David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

    A man's rights rests in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box

    Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

  14. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


  15. #12
    Baluchitherium thismusicsux's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.31.12
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    4,433
    Favorite VH Album

    FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

    Dirty Movies & Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

    01.19.18 @ 10:56 AM
    Likes
    13,505
    Liked 5,155 Times in 2,431 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Smart by Sam. Good PR for his brand, and he gets his restaurant name into the picture as well.

    That guy could show some Fortune 500 companies how to market themselves.
    and some PR/social pickup with articles about this for El Paseo!

  16. #13
    Good Enough nobozos's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.15.00
    Location
    Pekin, Il U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,778
    Last Online

    05.09.18 @ 01:14 PM
    Likes
    25
    Liked 752 Times in 360 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mike zack View Post
    Curious to hear what you wrote in your letter that made Sam want to reach out.
    Well, actually nothing that special really. It was just a quick one page handwritten letter that basically said that we had been married for 25 years and were coming to SF for our Anniversary. I said it would really make our trip unforgettable if we had an opportunity to meet him, even for a minute or two and share a drink, on me. I told him I wasn't asking for anything but just a couple minutes of his time if he could spare it.

    I didn't try to qualify my fan credentials with a bunch of fluff about all the shows I'd been to, or any of that. I just told him that I admired him as a musician and as a person, and it would be great to meet him.

    I didn't expect much really. I thought best case scenario would be that he might arrange something in conjunction with his appearance at Sketchfest on the 9th, like we could be standing outside in a certain area while he was on his way out, and he would maybe say hi and snap a picture with us. I did not expect him to actually call me and have a conversation.

    I know some people want to assign self-promotion as the sole reason he did it, and I guess that's fine. I didn't get that feeling from him. I think he did it to be nice, and if he can use the experience to promote himself or his restaurant, it's ok by me.

    He didn't have to call me or even read my letter. He doesn't need us to promote himself. He's got plenty of other resources for that. I think he did something out of generosity, and wanted to share the experience with his fans.

    If it would have been anyone else, I wouldn't even have bothered writing the letter. I had a feeling based on what I knew about Sammy that he was the kind of guy that would at least respond in some way to my letter, even if it was just an email to say he couldn't do it. It's great to know that I wasn't wrong about his character.

    I know haters are gonna hate. In all honesty, if you can look at a story like this and still try to find a way to slam the guy, I pity you.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.


  17. #14
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    11.05.14
    Posts
    1,840
    Last Online

    05.24.18 @ 01:19 AM
    Likes
    1,015
    Liked 2,257 Times in 1,043 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    Well, actually nothing that special really. It was just a quick one page handwritten letter that basically said that we had been married for 25 years and were coming to SF for our Anniversary. I said it would really make our trip unforgettable if we had an opportunity to meet him, even for a minute or two and share a drink, on me. I told him I wasn't asking for anything but just a couple minutes of his time if he could spare it.

    I didn't try to qualify my fan credentials with a bunch of fluff about all the shows I'd been to, or any of that. I just told him that I admired him as a musician and as a person, and it would be great to meet him.

    I didn't expect much really. I thought best case scenario would be that he might arrange something in conjunction with his appearance at Sketchfest on the 9th, like we could be standing outside in a certain area while he was on his way out, and he would maybe say hi and snap a picture with us. I did not expect him to actually call me and have a conversation.

    I know some people want to assign self-promotion as the sole reason he did it, and I guess that's fine. I didn't get that feeling from him. I think he did it to be nice, and if he can use the experience to promote himself or his restaurant, it's ok by me.

    He didn't have to call me or even read my letter. He doesn't need us to promote himself. He's got plenty of other resources for that. I think he did something out of generosity, and wanted to share the experience with his fans.

    If it would have been anyone else, I wouldn't even have bothered writing the letter. I had a feeling based on what I knew about Sammy that he was the kind of guy that would at least respond in some way to my letter, even if it was just an email to say he couldn't do it. It's great to know that I wasn't wrong about his character.

    I know haters are gonna hate. In all honesty, if you can look at a story like this and still try to find a way to slam the guy, I pity you.
    Look, I'm no Red Rocker loyalist, but if anyone is saying Sam did this solely to promote his restaurant, then they didn't watch the video.

    He obviously felt some camaraderie with the similar stories and wanted to do something

    I've had my share of STFU Sam posts, but this was a class move by a guy, and his stick moved up in my book for having done




    Signaled from my ballsack

  18. The Following 6 Members Like This Post:


  19. #15
    Baluchitherium Harpospoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.12.12
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    5,040
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

    Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

    05.23.18 @ 11:22 PM
    Likes
    12,576
    Liked 3,424 Times in 1,804 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Streets View Post
    Look, I'm no Red Rocker loyalist, but if anyone is saying Sam did this solely to promote his restaurant, then they didn't watch the video.

    He obviously felt some camaraderie with the similar stories and wanted to do something

    I've had my share of STFU Sam posts, but this was a class move by a guy, and his stick moved up in my book for having done




    Signaled from my ballsack
    Agreed. The video really reveals how emotion played a role in this.

  20. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Unexpected....
    By WDFA5150 in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 04.14.15, 08:42 PM
  2. Unexpected ngd
    By lessthanone in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07.15.14, 02:28 AM
  3. Obama health care law has unexpected beneficiaries
    By rocknblues81 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03.02.12, 12:51 PM
  4. Unexpected places to hear VH?
    By dibblekins in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 05.02.11, 02:01 PM
  5. Unexpected Benefits of Family Dinners
    By voivod in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01.02.08, 04:57 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •