Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Eruption
    Last Online

03.26.17 @ 04:19 PM
    Liked 229 Times in 132 Posts

Premium Member

Default Has anyone here relocated the toggle switch on their Wolfgang?

I so hate the position of the toggle switch on my Wolf, but it's otherwise such a badass guitar.

Ironically, I never use it for playing VH because the toggle gets in my way when I tap. I never use a tone knob, so I disconnected it on this guitar because I forgot to ask the painter to fill in the hole when I mailed it out for painting. On a previous Wolf I duct taped the tone knob in place because I hated hitting it by accident and the low-friction pot made that a problem at gigs.

Anyway, I'm thinking of putting toggle switch (an EBMM one, actually) where the tone pot goes. But what to put in the original toggle switch hole?

2. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

03.26.17 @ 07:02 AM
    Liked 1,250 Times in 600 Posts

Premium Member

Thats a frigging sweet looking guitar.

You could always put a kill switch where the toggle switch is.
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

4. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 5,382 Times in 2,652 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
    I so hate the position of the toggle switch on my Wolf, but it's otherwise such a badass guitar.

Ironically, I never use it for playing VH because the toggle gets in my way when I tap. I never use a tone knob, so I disconnected it on this guitar because I forgot to ask the painter to fill in the hole when I mailed it out for painting. On a previous Wolf I duct taped the tone knob in place because I hated hitting it by accident and the low-friction pot made that a problem at gigs.

Anyway, I'm thinking of putting toggle switch (an EBMM one, actually) where the tone pot goes. But what to put in the original toggle switch hole?
    Dude I have the exact same amplification you do. Plus a 5150II.

Sent from my iPhone using swagger

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning-1984-F.U.C.K
    Last Online

03.23.17 @ 06:41 PM
    Liked 27 Times in 16 Posts

I was thinking that very thing. I love my EVH wolfgang but prefer the toggle switch location on my Axis. The only thing that has kept me from moving the toggle switch to the tone location is what do I put in the hole that would be there if I moved the toggle switch? I don't want a toggle button there and don't want to fill it up with an wood filler.

That being said I wouldn't mind just placing a small colored tape over the hole to hide it...if you end up making the change let's know what you do. Maybe I'll tackle this project in the next week or two when I have time (time what in the hell is that??).

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

03.26.17 @ 05:39 PM
    Liked 5,636 Times in 3,971 Posts

Premium Member

I hear ya!!! Fuckin' hate the toggle placement on Ed's Wolfgang line of guitars. I actually ranted about that in a prior post. Love having the toggle down by the volume knob, ala the AXIS or AX40 guitars. Even with Ed's 'reverse Les Paul' wiring, the switch is simply in my way when going to tap. Particularly when doing stuff like the extended Mean Street improv stuff from the LWAN video. Thanks for the tabs, Garbeaj!!!! LOL.

I wonder if Ed has actually tried an AXIS guitar? He complained about the toggle switch location on his EBMM signature, yet now I think they have it in the perfect location. Volume knob manipulation and pickup selection options are now all in the same zone - so to speak.

One other thing. I always wondered how/why Eddie would be pissed about the toggle switch "getting in his way when he tapped" on the original EBMM. Didn't HE design the damned thing? You'd think that in one of the many prototypes, he might've tapped a note or two, and figured out the problem? LOL.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

the one Ed plays guitar on
    Last Online

03.26.17 @ 08:22 PM
    Liked 694 Times in 374 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchie5150 View Post
    Thats a frigging sweet looking guitar.

You could always put a kill switch where the toggle switch is.

I second this vote. But I would suggest installing a "micro" kill switch, which has the same size diameter hole that the toggle already uses. That way, you're not damaging the guitar by drilling out a larger hole.

Even if you never use the kill switch, it fills in the empty hole, and everything can be reversed back to stock if you ever decide to sell it.

10. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Eruption
    Last Online

Premium Member

FWIW, I sold the 50w head and now have a Stealth, which is so badass.

Anyway, the toggle switch in that photo is from an EBMM Axis, as I like its stiffness better than the bouncy EVH Wolf one. Though I still have the EVH wolf one. I wonder if it would look ok to put that EVH stock switch back in its original position and then relocate the real switch (the Axis one) to where the tone knob is. That wouldn't look any worse than a coil tap.

I had front row and the center seat on the Balance tour in VA and saw Ed play that dark red Peavey Wolf, probably for the first time ever. He was playing the amber EBMM for a few songs and then came out with that Wolf. I had no idea he was switching companies and was pretty dumbfounded. As he was a few feet in front of me, I was able to make out the Peavey on the headstock. I think he later played it on Letterman or John Stewart. Looked very badass, but gawd, that toggle gets in my way. I don't think I played a Wolf for the first time until around the VH III tour.

Soooo I think I'm gonna run the EBMM Axis switch in the tone knob position and make it go front, center, back when looking down, like the Axis switches. Dying to use this guitar with my VH tribute for the 440 E tunes (Little Guitars and Hot for Teacher). Just cannot do the HFT intro on this guitar with stock toggle position.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

the one Ed plays guitar on
    Last Online

03.26.17 @ 08:22 PM
    Liked 694 Times in 374 Posts

Premium Member

Anyway, the toggle switch in that photo is from an EBMM Axis, as I like its stiffness better than the bouncy EVH Wolf one.
    ...best switches on the market, IMO. Kinda wish I had a half dozen lying around to put in all my dual HB guitars.

Eruption
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by hubs View Post
    ...best switches on the market, IMO. Kinda wish I had a half dozen lying around to put in all my dual HB guitars.
    They're $12 each. I asked an EBMM employee at NAMM how to buy them. He gave me his number and I ordered two. I'll probably see him next week at NAMM and will order two more the following week. Although great switches, they do wear out and I've replaced the one on my blue EBMM EVH twice in 20 yrs. Pretty sure there's a generic equivalent out there for less.

Eruption
    Last Online

Premium Member

I was planning to do this today and then just realized that I'd not be fixing anything by putting a dummy toggle switch in the original toggle switch location. It'd still get in my way when tapping, it just wouldn't switch pickups when I bumped into it. Maybe a killed switch. But how much do they protrude?

Eruption
    Last Online

Premium Member

Ok, it's done. I used a furniture foot cap to plug the old hole. Not sure I'm gonna stick with it, but I'm open to suggesting. Toggle switch relo makes this guitar a lot more playable for VH, IMHO.

16. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

03.26.17 @ 05:10 PM
    Liked 963 Times in 595 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Never fucking never would I do that. I like the backwards switch right where it is. I have a 09 USA HH Charvel( not the same guitar I gave the kid) with the switch where the tone knob would be and I hate it.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

18. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Eruption
    Last Online

Premium Member

Well, if you like the stock toggle switch location, then it's a great guitar for you. I'm more an EBMM EVH and Axis guy, but I do love the Wolf otherwise.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning-1984-F.U.C.K
    Last Online

03.23.17 @ 06:41 PM
    Liked 27 Times in 16 Posts

Ok, it's done. I used a furniture foot cap to plug the old hole. Not sure I'm gonna stick with it, but I'm open to suggesting. Toggle switch relo makes this guitar a lot more playable for VH, IMHO.
    I like it - I'll try to do the same but I still don't know what to put in the toggle hole...maybe a kill switch that isn't active just for plugging the hole.

Eruption
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by drolaw View Post
    I like it - I'll try to do the same but I still don't know what to put in the toggle hole...maybe a kill switch that isn't active just for plugging the hole.
    I was looking at kill switches on eBay today and they look like they stick up as far as the toggle switch, which would defeat the purpose of relocating the toggle. I almost think an LED that's almost flush with the body would be cool, have it light up when the guitar is plugged in. But what color?