Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

Default EVH Phase 90 tone problems...

I've been working on building up a pedalboard for a couple of years now, and I'm almost done - just ordered a Wampler Pinnacle to complete the setup. But I'm having a slight issue with my EVH Phase 90. I bought it used at the Sam Ash on 34th St in NYC a bit over a year ago, but when I got it home, I made the blunder of plugging the wrong polarity power supply into it. Of course, I got the scent of frying chips. I sent it off to a mail order repair place and they seemed to do what was necessary to get it up and running again.

Anyway, it's mostly been unused since then, but now it's part of the pedal board and I'm noticing that when it's engaged, some of the low end seems to drop out of the tone, along with a slight drop in level. It's not too bad with a high gain tone, but with medium gain and clean sounds, the loss of guts is more noticeable. When bypassed, there's no loss in tone.

Has anyone else had this with the EVH Phase 90? Might the fry-and-repair done more damage than I thought? Also, I know there's a trim pot inside for setting voltage bias - might that have got knocked off kilter?

Any thoughts would be welcome.
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I & Balance
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One & Feelin'
    Last Online

11.10.17 @ 05:45 AM
    Liked 267 Times in 150 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Charvel2 View Post
    I've been working on building up a pedalboard for a couple of years now, and I'm almost done - just ordered a Wampler Pinnacle to complete the setup. But I'm having a slight issue with my EVH Phase 90. I bought it used at the Sam Ash on 34th St in NYC a bit over a year ago, but when I got it home, I made the blunder of plugging the wrong polarity power supply into it. Of course, I got the scent of frying chips. I sent it off to a mail order repair place and they seemed to do what was necessary to get it up and running again.

Anyway, it's mostly been unused since then, but now it's part of the pedal board and I'm noticing that when it's engaged, some of the low end seems to drop out of the tone, along with a slight drop in level. It's not too bad with a high gain tone, but with medium gain and clean sounds, the loss of guts is more noticeable. When bypassed, there's no loss in tone.

Has anyone else had this with the EVH Phase 90? Might the fry-and-repair done more damage than I thought? Also, I know there's a trim pot inside for setting voltage bias - might that have got knocked off kilter?

Any thoughts would be welcome.
    It sounds like it might be fried man. I mean, I have no background in electronics whatsoever and only know a little about a little, but plugging in the incorrect polarity may have done more damage than initially thought. I would try plugging only the phase 90 directly into your amp so it's just your guitar, the pedal and amp, and see what happens there. If you can rule out trying things with different patch cables and so on, the pedal's probably unfortunately shot. I got mine used of eBay several years ago and it's never done what you're describing above.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable than I will reply too... Please don't scrap it based on my post!!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,107 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

EBay time
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 07:47 AM
    Liked 140 Times in 83 Posts

I plugged my phase 90 into an 18volt by accident once.I had an electronics guru repair it for me. If memory serves correct, he said the resistor in place to prevent such an accident was fried, but the pedal was salvageable. He put a resistor from a thermostat for the same voltage or something in it. It could be your resistor isn't wired right and your phase 90 is out of phase - it sounds like the sound is pulsing from your description. Just my stupid 2 cents.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Most likely it got fried. TBO, Phase 90's have always seemed to be pretty susceptable to issues either from the factory, or from average use. I've literally gone through a bunch of them over the years. To this day, they are the only pedal of any I've ever bought that I've had to replace because they start acting up. I did have an old 70's model that was the early hardwired type, and it was great but it got stolen a long time ago. All the 90's on up I've had end up in the junk heap. They get similar symptoms you describe, or a weird thump or pop in the sweep. At least the ones I've bought have. Maybe just turkeys and/or bum luck.
    Weird. They seem so simple.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

Thanks for the comments so far. If I get time this weekend, I'll mess with the trim pot to see if that helps any. I've spent a bunch on pedals and accessories recently, and I'm loathe to buy another Phase 90. If it can't be salvaged, I might just a Joyo or similar to fill the gap for the time being.
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America