Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:46 PM
    Liked 559 Times in 303 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by vcooper3 View Post
    The 2015 tour gross isn't an indicator of the band "falling."

If you consider average and overall attendance as a factor, then you will see VH is still a major draw.

The average attendance in 2015 was 10,459 for VH. Compare that to Motley Crue on their farewell tour (6,737 per show), Aerosmith (6,866 per show), Journey (7,640 per show) and the Who 7,877 per show) and you will see VH is still doing well in the industry.

Average attendance for VH in 2015 exceeded the 2004 tour (9,868 per show), 2008 leg (10,190 per show) and 2012 (10,108 per show).

And by comparison, if you doubled the amount of shows in 2015, overall attendance would be 753,076 tickets sold thru 78 shows.

In 2004, the overall attendance was 710,504 thru 79 shows.

Not sure how they got those "average tickets" at the shows. Their math is wrong.

376,538 total tickets

divided by

39 shows

equals

9,654 average per show. That's tickets, not actual attendance, which obviously would be even less since not everyone who has a ticket actually goes.

And the fact of the matter is, the 2004 tickets were more expensive on average. $76.44 vs $69.05 for 2015.

So the average attendance was pretty close, but 2004 made more per ticket. It did about double the shows, and made a bit over double the money with an average of about 600 less in attendance. So if you doubled the 2015 shows and everything else stayed the same, it'd come out about equal (but slightly less) than the 2004 tour. $51,999,897 for those who like math. 2004 grossed $54,310,925.

As far as someone else's guess that: "if you doubled the # of shows, it'd have been a 10-15 tour"...sorry, nope. Double the money would be $52 million, right? Neil freakin' Diamond was #20 with $68 million. Over $100 per ticket average.

Neither tour is even close to 07/08 or 2012, so let's not even compare those. I don't care how many people came, the ones that did paid a HELL of a lot more to be there so a lot more money was made.

So, as I said...it's sad to see my favorite band slipping like this. Doing what is basically the same $$ amounts 11 years later is absolutely "slipping". That's not to say that VH isn't still a good draw when compared to lesser bands like Crue, etc....but then again, they always were.
    But making the same money 11 years later isn't a good thing...agreed? Even though it's still a lot of money...it's still a big drop for Van Halen. You know it didn't cost LESS for them to tour in 2015 than it did in 2004, so there's no way their profit margin can be there like it was.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by thismusicsux View Post
    vcoop got 'dem stats on lockdown.
    Yeah, other than the fact that they're all wrong, lol.
    I asked a ref if he could give me a technical foul for thinking bad things about him. He said, of course not. I said, well, I think you stink. And he gave me a technical. You can't trust em. -
    Jimmy V

Eruption
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:01 PM
    Liked 1,852 Times in 810 Posts

So we are still beating the tour stats.
    The tour did well, case closed. If they doubled their dates, they would have been top 5
    Rock is not in demand at all right now, and VH still killed it. I wish this shit wasn't readily available on line, the armchair qb'ing wouldn't being happening then.

The tour did great

Signaled from my ballsack

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Mean Streets View Post
    So we are still beating the tour stats.
    The tour did well, case closed. If they doubled their dates, they would have been top 5
    Rock is not in demand at all right now, and VH still killed it. I wish this shit wasn't readily available on line, the armchair qb'ing wouldn't being happening then.

The tour did great

Signaled from my ballsack
    No, if they doubled the dates it would have not even been top 20. Again, doubling the money would be $52 million. The 20th ranked tour of the year did $68 million.

All we're doing is analyzing the numbers.

The difference between 2004 and 2015? These same basic numbers made that tour #6 that year.

Those numbers now don't even crack the top 20. That concerns me for VH's future. I guess they've found a way to maybe streamline costs and still make money now, but there's no denying that this tour underperformed as compared to the last 2.

And..I would be remiss to not point out that these same basic numbers, after the 2004 tour all the anti-Sam folks were pointing out how disappointing that tour was and how bad attendance was and how much it under-performed. Y'all remember that? I do.
    But now you're saying this tour did "great", and all is well. Did basically the same #'s in attendance and slightly worse in $ as 2004 did....11 years later, but all is well.

I'm not posting to rag on VH, just that it concerns me for VH as a touring force. They have dropped, a lot. To be expected, I suppose, with no new material.
    Jimmy V

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:21 PM
    Liked 18,088 Times in 8,937 Posts

Dude, they are IN THEIR 60's and a part time act.

They've released fifteen songs in the last eighteen years, they rarely do any mainstream press, and their form of music is considered archaic by anyone under the age of thirty.

Not to even get into the decade they spent throwing napalm all over their own brand.

It is a tribute to how popular they once were that they have people showing up in the numbers that they do.

They are one of the least active major bands in the history of the rock genre. They are coming up on the forty year mark on their signed professional career, and they have released twelve studio albums, two live albums, and two live video albums.

Johnny Cash in a forty nine year career released NINETY SIX FUCKING ALBUMS. That's not counting the 63 compilation albums he released.

There is a reason he is as popular now as he was when he was alive, and Van Halen is slowly drifting into "oh yeah, I remember them."

Artists have to create art, or people forget about them for those that do.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

8. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Liked 2,383 Times in 1,487 Posts

Premium Member

Many people say Beethoven wrote his best music after he went totally deaf and was considered old for those days. He also needed the money and was still driven. You have to be hungry and artistic. The genre being dead does not help either and the crowds they still get are amazing.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Outta Space
    Last Online

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Dude, they are IN THEIR 60's and a part time act.

They've released fifteen songs in the last eighteen years, they rarely do any mainstream press, and their form of music is considered archaic by anyone under the age of thirty.

Not to even get into the decade they spent throwing napalm all over their own brand.

It is a tribute to how popular they once were that they have people showing up in the numbers that they do.

They are one of the least active major bands in the history of the rock genre. They are coming up on the forty year mark on their signed professional career, and they have released twelve studio albums, two live albums, and two live video albums.

Johnny Cash in a forty nine year career released NINETY SIX FUCKING ALBUMS. That's not counting the 63 compilation albums he released.

There is a reason he is as popular now as he was when he was alive, and Van Halen is slowly drifting into "oh yeah, I remember them."

Artists have to create art, or people forget about them for those that do.
    I agree with all of this.

My original reason for posting was, as I've said a couple of times, it's sad to see it.
    Jimmy V

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:01 PM
    Liked 8,712 Times in 4,707 Posts

Premium Member

What's sad to see is the genre we all love suffering so badly. VH outperformed almost all their contemporaries last summer, including Aerosmith, Def Leppard, Crüe, and a few others. No, they don't outperform ACDC and a couple others but as DD said, they are a part time band in their 60s that was very inactive for several years. It was a really fun tour that did well in an extremely crowded summer tour schedule.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:52 PM
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
    I agree with all of this.

My original reason for posting was, as I've said a couple of times, it's sad to see it.
    No one wants to admit that their childhood heroes have gotten older.
    At least, I can't think of too many who do...

In turn, we have gotten older. I'll leave out any judgement on more mature or wiser (LOL), yet the clock is always ticking for all of us.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

14. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:28 AM
    Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts

Are you suggesting that VH should go out again and raise ticket prices by nearly 50%? They will get crushed. Attendance will fall dramatically.
    Quote Originally Posted by noise next door View Post
    Those numbers are not great... kinda surprised.

Average ticket was $69, they need that up near $100 a head

Eddie won't be too happy with this Gross, which might be a good thing

Unchained
    Last Online

08.22.16 @ 10:36 AM
    Liked 158 Times in 78 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pacfanweb View Post
    Not sure how they got those "average tickets" at the shows. Their math is wrong.

376,538 total tickets

divided by

39 shows

equals

9,654 average per show. That's tickets, not actual attendance, which obviously would be even less since not everyone who has a ticket actually goes.

And the fact of the matter is, the 2004 tickets were more expensive on average. $76.44 vs $69.05 for 2015.

So the average attendance was pretty close, but 2004 made more per ticket. It did about double the shows, and made a bit over double the money with an average of about 600 less in attendance. So if you doubled the 2015 shows and everything else stayed the same, it'd come out about equal (but slightly less) than the 2004 tour. $51,999,897 for those who like math. 2004 grossed $54,310,925.

As far as someone else's guess that: "if you doubled the # of shows, it'd have been a 10-15 tour"...sorry, nope. Double the money would be $52 million, right? Neil freakin' Diamond was #20 with $68 million. Over $100 per ticket average.

Neither tour is even close to 07/08 or 2012, so let's not even compare those. I don't care how many people came, the ones that did paid a HELL of a lot more to be there so a lot more money was made.

So, as I said...it's sad to see my favorite band slipping like this. Doing what is basically the same $$ amounts 11 years later is absolutely "slipping". That's not to say that VH isn't still a good draw when compared to lesser bands like Crue, etc....but then again, they always were.
    But making the same money 11 years later isn't a good thing...agreed? Even though it's still a lot of money...it's still a big drop for Van Halen. You know it didn't cost LESS for them to tour in 2015 than it did in 2004, so there's no way their profit margin can be there like it was.
    Read the chart again.
    The figures are for 36 of 39 shows. Most likely the last two big Hollywood Bowl shows are not included. Average attendance is misleading. They deliberately played smaller places in general. Neil Diamond actually puts out new albums and they sell well. Van Halen just had a live album this time so the big promo push wasn't really there.The tour did fine in my book. the Foo Fighters are 58.00 a ticket. Are they slipping too?

17. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up!
    Last Online

08.21.17 @ 09:32 PM
    Liked 2,028 Times in 1,265 Posts

Tour did fine. Down a little maybe, but it was a busy schedule, as said.

I do think another tour will require a new release of some sort. Without something to promote, the next tour I could see falling off a little for real.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 544 Times in 277 Posts

I do think that VH will have a new release for the next tour. But don't forget, they could always hype up the 40th anniversary in 2018 and they could advertise that they were going to play the entire VH debut album.

Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:45 PM
    Liked 866 Times in 508 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by FW1981 View Post
    I do think that VH will have a new release for the next tour. But don't forget, they could always hype up the 40th anniversary in 2018 and they could advertise that they were going to play the entire VH debut album.
    They could've done that with the 30th or the 35th. It just ain't going to happen. They don't give a damn about their legacy.