Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:18 PM
    Liked 461 Times in 200 Posts

Default 5150 combo power scaling question

Guys,

quick question..... is it a fair statement to say that on the 5150 III combo amps that if you are playing at a low volume like say 2 or 3 the power scaling knob should also be set on 2 or 3? I am new to using this thing and was curious to keep the sound authentic when playing at low volumes (a la apartment setting) the power scale knob should be set on the same level as the volume of the channel your playing on? yes... no? please explain.

Rob

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

the one Ed plays guitar on
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 03:08 PM
    Liked 784 Times in 422 Posts

Granted, my only experience with power scaling is a push button on my Marshall TSL100 that drops the output from 100W to 25W, BUT...

From my understanding, I really don't think this is absolutely necessary, Rob. I'm pretty sure what you are doing in the example above is simply playing your EVHIII at a volume level of "3" on what is effectively a lower wattage amp. As an example, "IF" the power scaling is on a linear scale (which I doubt it is), the "3" setting on the power scaling would in effect make it a 15W amp.

Supposedly, the power scaling on the EVHIII does not affect tone, so you should be able to crank that volume knob up to your tonal preference, and then bring the db level back down to bedroom levels with the power scaling. Basically, you'd be using the power scaling knob as a built-in attenuator.

Then again, I have yet to even SEE an EVHIII combo in person, so I'm not speaking from hands-on experience, either.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:34 PM
    Liked 6,973 Times in 5,009 Posts

Premium Member

Great question and a great answer!
    That's pretty much how I understand it too, hubs. And like you, I'm just going from written and video knowledge. I've also never played a 5150III combo either.

There are several other owners of that amp on this board though. Hope they can chime in with some first hand experience.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

4. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Very good answer. I don't have a 5150 III combo either, but I'm not a stranger to various attenuation, and some of the newer power scaling. I really like it!
    I have a custom made reactive load attenuation unit in my AC-30. It works great on it, but it will darken the tone slightly full up, but it's not power scaling, and I run some risks using it despite having a fan installed to cool things down. Also I get so much squaush with it, whereas with power scaling, your tone remains a lot more crisp, and just has more clarity and bite.
    It's supposed to really just be a much cleaner, more sophisticated method of reducing the volume without the degradation in sound quality found in typical attenuation methods, and the best part is not having to worry about frying tubes or transformers.
    It just doesn't happen because the amp runs differently within specs, and isn't being corked by some dummy load.

There's no golden rule. With a well designed power scaling circuit, (which I know the III has) or even less complex built in power section attenuation/power tube pair splitting your basic amp functions should not dictate what the scaling should be. The scaling should just allow you to top out your power section nicely without blowing the roof off your place. At most you may notice a little more "squash" or "sponginess" (if any) with hot amp settings and the PS output set low, just a little tweaking should get you in the butter zone.
    Last edited by we die young; 01.07.16 at 03:35 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

thanks guys but I guess I am still confused..... What setting / level do I have the Power scaling knob on when I want the volume on low to keep the noise down but still have the nice EVH brown sound?

guess I am still missing something here and not understanding how to use it. I guess I just have to play with it.

Rob

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,107 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I believe the higher the number the greater the output power. Opposite of an attenuator. I have a Peavey Vyper 75w which is that way. Only a guess though
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,340 Times in 3,185 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Rob I keep my master at 3 and run the power level wide open. I get a real good tone. I could run it at 6 on the master and power level at 5 and it is a little hotter. It just takes some fucking around with.

Sent from my iPhone using swagger

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

ok that kind of answers my question. In other words there really is no absolute "do this, do that" with it. You can have the volume at 2 or 3 and run the power knob half or all the way up depending on what you like to hear. I guess I was under the impression that the power knob had to basically be on the same level as your volume to get the right balance... good to know.

got it I'll mess with it.

Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:03 AM
    Liked 378 Times in 224 Posts

Put the power scaling where it sounds best to you. For basement I go from oh, what's 1 watt, 7:00? All the way down. To 10-11:00 which is the best sound to me. 11:00 gets a nice chunky tube sound. I tried leaving it at 1 watt with a drummer. It was plenty loud enough. But a little thin. So next time I'll crank the power scaling all the way up. Think about what low watt amps sound like. Yes the tubes work hard. But usually they lose bass and headroom. I like bass. So I've pretty much stopped using the power scaling. It's all the way up. On the rare occasion I go downstairs late night I'll use it. And I'm about to record a bit so I'll use it for that. I was in love with it for a long time. It does change the sound for the better. Ah man. Now I want to try it again!

So yes, put it where it sounds best to you.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by 5150rob View Post
    ok that kind of answers my question. In other words there really is no absolute "do this, do that" with it. You can have the volume at 2 or 3 and run the power knob half or all the way up depending on what you like to hear. I guess I was under the impression that the power knob had to basically be on the same level as your volume to get the right balance... good to know.

got it I'll mess with it.
    That's exactly right. Kind of think of everything else as a glorified preamp. Your power scaling is kind of a master master of sorts if you view it in that way. It allows the amp to breathe, and have more balls than just relying on the preamp section alone which is where the "buzziness" lies. The power scaling brings the power section into play giving that smoother, warmer, and organic characteristic we all love in an amp running up full, but just at a much lower volume.
    As far as the actual setting, it depends on multiple outside factors. Room size being a big one, as well as construction of the building.... disturbing other people for example. It's really up to you where you want to set it. There's no hard and fast rule.
    Like on my Vox...it's an older school design for attenuation, but I'm constantly dicking around with it. Sometimes just for a different kind of "feel" or tone....The blend of the pre and power tubes vary with different settings. Just find what you like.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by we die young View Post
    That's exactly right. Kind of think of everything else as a glorified preamp. Your power scaling is kind of a master master of sorts if you view it in that way. It allows the amp to breathe, and have more balls than just relying on the preamp section alone which is where the "buzziness" lies. The power scaling brings the power section into play giving that smoother, warmer, and organic characteristic we all love in an amp running up full, but just at a much lower volume.
    As far as the actual setting, it depends on multiple outside factors. Room size being a big one, as well as construction of the building.... disturbing other people for example. It's really up to you where you want to set it. There's no hard and fast rule.
    Like on my Vox...it's an older school design for attenuation, but I'm constantly dicking around with it. Sometimes just for a different kind of "feel" or tone....The blend of the pre and power tubes vary with different settings. Just find what you like.
    Sorry...How I meant this was the power tube's character changes with the amp's master run high and your scaling controling the output level, and that's how it affects the pre and power tubes blended sound. It's more throaty.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

awesome info guys..... I am going to try this tonight.

thanks again,

Rob

Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 07:47 AM
    Liked 140 Times in 83 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 5150rob View Post
    thanks guys but I guess I am still confused..... What setting / level do I have the Power scaling knob on when I want the volume on low to keep the noise down but still have the nice EVH brown sound?

guess I am still missing something here and not understanding how to use it. I guess I just have to play with it.

Rob
    Rob,
    The point of the power scaling is so you can put your volume at your favorite loudness. Ex - my 100watt 5150 2's sweet spot at my setting was 4&1/2. I could never do that at 100Watts in an apt. But, if I could scale my amp to say 5 watts at my amp's sweet spot volume, it should maintain "total tonal excellence" at an overall lower volume.

PS - in VH terms, Power Scaling = VARIAC!!!!!!