Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Sinner's Swing! ED-A-HOLIC's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.11.01
    Age
    43
    Posts
    2,936
    Favorite VH Album

    The one with Ed on guitar.
    Favorite VH Song

    The one with Ed's amazing solo
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 04:55 PM
    Likes
    378
    Liked 186 Times in 92 Posts

    Default Bill Aucoin VH interview

    Pretty cool interview
    "I could call it anything, but the only word I can think of is Brown. It's just a warm sound. Warm, big, majestic" - Eddie Van Halen on his Tone

    "Van Halen is definitely a ladies band, and Ive got the Polaroids to prove it". - David Lee Roth

    WOLFGANG did the IMPOSSIBLE, he brought back VAN HALEN, DEAL WITH IT.

  2. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:


  3. #2
    On Fire DressedinRags's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.01.12
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    321
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 04:38 AM
    Likes
    132
    Liked 191 Times in 114 Posts

    Default

    Amazing stuff, all covered in the great book VHR. I heard DOA last night on satellite radio, and was reminded of what a great and unique voice Dave has. I am only a drummer but didn't think Dave had any vocal shortcomings until I heard some growling on CGTSNM. By comparison to others I was listening to (Bon Scott then Brian Johnson, Scorps, Krokus, Joe Elliott, etc.) way back when, Dave had a phenomenal voice!

    I'm still blown away by those who were questioning his abilities in the mid-70s. Dave's vocals have been covered enough on this board, but to hear Aucoin talk about them relative to Sammy's way before VH1 still surprises me. Anyway, rock on, Dave.
    1981 - Lexington
    1982 - Louisville
    1983 - Lexington
    1984 - Lexington and Cincinnati
    1988 - Lexington
    1994 - Cleveland
    2007 - Indianapolis
    2012 - Washington, DC and Nashville
    2015 - Bristow, VA

  4. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:


  5. #3
    Atomic Punk japeape's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.05.15
    Posts
    7,915
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 09:34 AM
    Likes
    5,613
    Liked 7,645 Times in 4,017 Posts

    Default

    I love that Dave always had a mix of "Stoner/California/Surfer" in his voice, even when
    he sang.

    You hear it the most on VHII and portions of VHI.

    WACF was a bit more menacing, vocally.
    A little more cocky, too.

    Dave always had great tone, which you can hear clearly on things like, Could this be magic?
    Range is always the big thing with people, not so much tone.


  6. #4
    Atomic Punk Little Dreamer's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.25.99
    Age
    45
    Location
    Pasadena, CA, USA
    Posts
    8,944
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 11:35 PM
    Likes
    1,014
    Liked 1,390 Times in 763 Posts

    Default

    So, Bill Aucoin, how well did that Piper thing turn out for you in the end?
    Little Dreamer

  7. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  8. #5
    Top Of The World The Space Ace's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.09.15
    Age
    23
    Location
    Northeast Ohio
    Posts
    192
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Panama
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 07:45 PM
    Likes
    517
    Liked 131 Times in 78 Posts

    Default

    This is a great interview. I found it really interesting that Bill wanted none other than Sammy Hagar to be the singer that early on.

  9. #6
    Atomic Punk RRvh1's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.11
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ari-o!
    Posts
    16,442
    Favorite VH Album

    VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

    A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 01:34 PM
    Likes
    6,140
    Liked 6,982 Times in 5,015 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Maybe Aucoin passed because he foresaw the imminent BS on these forums? LOL. Haha.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

  10. #7
    Atomic Punk japeape's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.05.15
    Posts
    7,915
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 09:34 AM
    Likes
    5,613
    Liked 7,645 Times in 4,017 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    So, Bill Aucoin, how well did that Piper thing turn out for you in the end?
    Wasn't Billy Squier in Piper?

    He did alright for himself.

  11. #8
    Atomic Punk JUNGLE DRUMMER's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.20.07
    Age
    44
    Posts
    9,174
    Favorite VH Album

    WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 01:01 PM
    Likes
    32,749
    Liked 8,796 Times in 4,763 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    Wasn't Billy Squier in Piper?

    He did alright for himself.
    Yes he was.

  12. #9
    Atomic Punk japeape's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.05.15
    Posts
    7,915
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 09:34 AM
    Likes
    5,613
    Liked 7,645 Times in 4,017 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    Yes he was.
    Did Squier stay under Bill or move to another label/manager?

  13. #10
    Atomic Punk JUNGLE DRUMMER's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.20.07
    Age
    44
    Posts
    9,174
    Favorite VH Album

    WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 01:01 PM
    Likes
    32,749
    Liked 8,796 Times in 4,763 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by japeape View Post
    Did Squier stay under Bill or move to another label/manager?
    That I do not know.

  14. #11
    Baluchitherium Harpospoke's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.12.12
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    4,291
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

    Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 05:44 PM
    Likes
    10,158
    Liked 2,802 Times in 1,451 Posts

    Default

    At the time of this interview, it may have been a good idea to stop claiming that VH "didn't have any songs". I mean, it's pretty evident that every song on VH-I was catchy going by the popularity of those songs with fans. (and album sales) I'm pretty sure it's not a diamond seller just because of You Really Got Me. Might be better to admit both he and Templeman were wrong about the other songs.

    Nice to see the "Gene wanted Eddie in KISS" rumor shot down from someone on the other side of it. That's never made sense to me after reading VH Rising. Gene was prowling the clubs looking for BANDS to manage....not looking for a guitar player. And he put in tremendous effort to get the BAND signed and was very upset with Aucoin when he turned them down.

    I do think that Gene may have taken the "they need a new singer" thing to heart after that though and may have been trying to get Dave out of the band.

    Quote Originally Posted by DressedinRags View Post
    Amazing stuff, all covered in the great book VHR. I heard DOA last night on satellite radio, and was reminded of what a great and unique voice Dave has. I am only a drummer but didn't think Dave had any vocal shortcomings until I heard some growling on CGTSNM. By comparison to others I was listening to (Bon Scott then Brian Johnson, Scorps, Krokus, Joe Elliott, etc.) way back when, Dave had a phenomenal voice!

    I'm still blown away by those who were questioning his abilities in the mid-70s. Dave's vocals have been covered enough on this board, but to hear Aucoin talk about them relative to Sammy's way before VH1 still surprises me. Anyway, rock on, Dave.
    To be completely fair, they may have had a point. Dave's signing style changed quite a bit just in time for the first album. His singing may have turned a lot of people off going from the club recordings. Recall that Dave took some singing lessons right before they recorded it and I would not be surprised if Ted didn't help in that department too with some coaching.

    That's not an insult to Dave either because he appears to have put in some serious work to change the way he sang and it paid off big.

  15. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:


  16. #12
    Good Enough
    Join Date
    07.07.08
    Location
    Shanghai
    Posts
    1,772
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

    How Now Brown Sound
    Last Online

    12.12.17 @ 06:31 AM
    Likes
    30
    Liked 342 Times in 192 Posts

    Default

    I think what I'm most impressed with is they stuck it out as a band. I get Ed being unwilling to throw Alex under the bus, but that they stuck with Dave is a rare moment of solidarity in the VH soap opera. And at a point where they everything to gain and not a lot to lose.

    What else was interesting to me personally is that it's not hard for me to imagine what Dave would've sounded like on the Sam Halen records, but it's harder to imagine Sammy on VH1 or FW, for example. They would've been different records for sure.


  17. #13
    Atomic Punk I Coulda Hada VH's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.29.00
    Location
    Land O' Lakers
    Posts
    30,513
    Favorite VH Album

    The First One
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 01:37 PM
    Likes
    10,351
    Liked 16,573 Times in 9,400 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by E-roc View Post
    I think what I'm most impressed with is they stuck it out as a band. I get Ed being unwilling to throw Alex under the bus, but that they stuck with Dave is a rare moment of solidarity in the VH soap opera. And at a point where they everything to gain and not a lot to lose.

    What else was interesting to me personally is that it's not hard for me to imagine what Dave would've sounded like on the Sam Halen records, but it's harder to imagine Sammy on VH1 or FW, for example. They would've been different records for sure.
    They didn't give up on Dave just like Dave wouldn't let them give up on the band. Greg's book did an excellent job of driving that point home.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

    "If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

    "Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

    "Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

  18. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:


  19. #14
    Atomic Punk RRvh1's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.13.11
    Location
    Ontari-ari-ari-o!
    Posts
    16,442
    Favorite VH Album

    VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

    A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

    12.17.17 @ 01:34 PM
    Likes
    6,140
    Liked 6,982 Times in 5,015 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harpospoke View Post
    At the time of this interview, it may have been a good idea to stop claiming that VH "didn't have any songs". I mean, it's pretty evident that every song on VH-I was catchy going by the popularity of those songs with fans. (and album sales) I'm pretty sure it's not a diamond seller just because of You Really Got Me. Might be better to admit both he and Templeman were wrong about the other songs.

    Nice to see the "Gene wanted Eddie in KISS" rumor shot down from someone on the other side of it. That's never made sense to me after reading VH Rising. Gene was prowling the clubs looking for BANDS to manage....not looking for a guitar player. And he put in tremendous effort to get the BAND signed and was very upset with Aucoin when he turned them down.

    I do think that Gene may have taken the "they need a new singer" thing to heart after that though and may have been trying to get Dave out of the band.



    To be completely fair, they may have had a point. Dave's signing style changed quite a bit just in time for the first album. His singing may have turned a lot of people off going from the club recordings. Recall that Dave took some singing lessons right before they recorded it and I would not be surprised if Ted didn't help in that department too with some coaching.

    That's not an insult to Dave either because he appears to have put in some serious work to change the way he sang and it paid off big.
    Gene might not have been actively trying to get Eddie in KISS, yet it's obvious that Ed's playing style did leave a lasting impression. Hence, why they sought out lead players with that type of hot rodded approach - Vinnie Vincent, Mark St. John, Bruce Kulick.

    Also, how Ozzy was looking for a hot shot L.A. type of player (Rhoads) for his solo band, after touring with VH.
    I remember Ry Cooder mentioning that he wanted a guitar player who "plays better than Eddie Van Halen" for the Devil's gunslinger role in Crossroads.

    Ed's style and vibe were felt everywhere!
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

  20. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:


 

 

Similar Threads

  1. $1 bill for $5 bill
    By voivod in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04.14.11, 09:47 AM
  2. Bill Murray gives rare interview...Howard Stern Show 2-22-2011
    By Jesus H Christ in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02.22.11, 02:41 PM
  3. Replies: 61
    Last Post: 09.13.10, 12:29 PM
  4. big bad bill
    By Edward Van Halen in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05.02.01, 05:46 PM
  5. Big Bad Bill
    By BrokenCombs in forum VH Songs/Albums/Videos
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 10.22.00, 05:15 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •