Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 02:18 PM
    Liked 461 Times in 200 Posts

Default BOSS OC3 Super Octave

Guys,

I just picked up a Boss OC 3 Super Octave. Been messing around with it. I noticed Edward has one in his arsenol as well. Question other than in the solo where he dives the low E where does Ed use this effect.... past or present? Any of you guys use this pedal?

Rob

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

08.04.17 @ 06:55 AM
    Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts

He uses it on the outro of Drop Dead Legs, he mentioned that in the new interview. I think I've also read that he used it in Runaround.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

hmmmm cool..... I'll check that out

Rob

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:51 AM
    Liked 379 Times in 225 Posts

And the outro to Unchained has octave effects. That's not a normal two not octave he's playing. It's an effect. Live I think he just plays the two notes Black And Blue style. Which is how I learned to play two note octaves. When I learned Black And Blue back in 1989.

5. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

In his solo for the last 2 tours does he just hit the Low E and dive it and hit the pedal to get the effect? I really have NO IDEA how to use this pedal... ha ha first time for me

Rob

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by AFU View Post
    And the outro to Unchained has octave effects. That's not a normal two not octave he's playing. It's an effect. Live I think he just plays the two notes Black And Blue style. Which is how I learned to play two note octaves. When I learned Black And Blue back in 1989.
    Yeah..I read in Musician Magazine years ago. There was an interview with an engineer talking about octave effects, and he was talking about the production of another artist's song. Something to the effect of: " we used a Meyer Octavio to create the distorted octaves effect like Eddie Van Halen did on Unchained".
    I don't know if it was an actual Octavio or not, but given they were still recording in outside studios in those days, it wouldn't be out of the question that the studio had something like that kicking around.

I've owned a couple of the early Boss Octave pedals over the years. Never hung on to them. I had a Digitech as well. The first was a Boss. Not sure of the model but it was brown color. Not bad, but I found it just glitched too much. Sold it.
    Then four or five years later, I got the bug again, and tried a newer one. Better but still somewhat glitchy. I kept it, but then tried a Digitech because the company claimed it was the most "glitch free". It wasn't and I unloaded both of them. Were talking the 80's era stuff.
    I know the new ones are very, very good, but I've got Harmonizer, and Lexicon pitchshifters in my rig now, so no use for them anymore, but you should really enjoy yours. If I didn't have that stuff, I'd totally get one.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:28 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

The early Boss Octave pedals (OC-2) were really just good for single note stuff. The OC-3 is supposed to me more polyphonic, meaning, you can play some chordal stuff and kinda get away with it. I've had an OC-2 on my board for 15 years, great pedal.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

I am now using my new 5150 III 1X12 combo and I absolutely LOVE IT!!! mainly because I can play it at low volumes in my new apartment and have the nice crunchy EVH sound with the power scaling knob.

I love the Balance and FUCK era tones too sometimes so I use a BOSS PS6 Harmonist on D tune and I get a great sound. I dont know if that pedal would give me the sound I was looking for in Eds solos when he dives the low E so I grabbed the OC3 and have been messing around with it. Kind of a neat pedal. Maybe I dont need it with my PS6 harmonist. Either way another pedal wont hurt right? lol

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:17 PM
    Liked 6,982 Times in 5,015 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by 5150rob View Post
    In his solo for the last 2 tours does he just hit the Low E and dive it and hit the pedal to get the effect? I really have NO IDEA how to use this pedal... ha ha first time for me

Rob
    I'd have to go back and hear his solo, but I think he's doing exactly what you describe here, Rob.
    That's why I was asking for his octave pedal settings in another thread. From what I remember, it sounded like just one octave down with an equal mix between wet & dry. Sort of like the balance for his Cathedral effect with the delay... See what I did there? LOL.

Of course I could be wrong, which is why I posed the question^^^. We'll see for sure when the new GW mag hits the stands, if it hasn't already.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:02 AM
    Liked 38 Times in 14 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    I'd have to go back and hear his solo, but I think he's doing exactly what you describe here, Rob.
    That's why I was asking for his octave pedal settings in another thread. From what I remember, it sounded like just one octave down with an equal mix between wet & dry. Sort of like the balance for his Cathedral effect with the delay... See what I did there? LOL.

Of course I could be wrong, which is why I posed the question^^^. We'll see for sure when the new GW mag hits the stands, if it hasn't already.
    According to the new guitar world with his rig settings, the pedal is set as follows:

Direct Level: 3 o'clock
    Oct. 1 Level: 5 o'clock
    Range: 1 o'clock
    Mode: Poly
    Guitar In
    Output Mono

13. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Imthe1 View Post
    According to the new guitar world with his rig settings, the pedal is set as follows:

Direct Level: 3 o'clock
    Oct. 1 Level: 5 o'clock
    Range: 1 o'clock
    Mode: Poly
    Guitar In
    Output Mono
    Thanks!

I'll have to try to approximate that with my Electro Harmonix Pitch Fork pedal.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    Thanks!

I'll have to try to approximate that with my Electro Harmonix Pitch Fork pedal.
    I got my mag in the mail a week ago..... I just set my super octave to this and it sounds AFREAKINMAZING!!!!!!!!! just like Ed's during the solo.

Rob

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by 5150rob View Post
    I got my mag in the mail a week ago..... I just set my super octave to this and it sounds AFREAKINMAZING!!!!!!!!! just like Ed's during the solo.

Rob
    NICE!!!

Now I wanna look up a vid from that part of Ed's 2015 solo.
    Btw, the mag wasn't on my local rack today. Believe me, I've been looking!

Favorite VH Album

WACF
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

11.02.17 @ 07:47 AM
    Liked 140 Times in 83 Posts

It's not as versatile, but I always preferred the electroharmonix micro pog. good sub octave sound by itself. Also, turning everything up to eleven on it and playing power chords or 3rds always sounded cool

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 08:50 AM
    Liked 2,295 Times in 1,176 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by joezlo View Post
    It's not as versatile, but I always preferred the electroharmonix micro pog. good sub octave sound by itself. Also, turning everything up to eleven on it and playing power chords or 3rds always sounded cool
    The POG is cool

I have the larger one... it can make a lot of cool sounds and set up some great recording tricks...

I split my signal with a JDV DI box, and then route 1/3 of it through the POG to a bass amp and then Mic that with a D112 bass drum mic to add to the guitars low end... the POG does this perfectly

19. The Following Member Likes This Post: