Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 10:25 AM
    Liked 6,854 Times in 3,590 Posts

Premium Member

Default There is a sucker born every minute...

got stock?

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 02:05 PM
    Liked 1,140 Times in 650 Posts

People are mesmerized by oprah, they will eat dog food if she tells them too. Weightwatchers doesn't work any better than Jenny Craig or any other weight loss aid, they all work on will power anyhow.

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 10:25 AM
    Liked 6,854 Times in 3,590 Posts

Premium Member

Weight Watchers shares soar on Oprah power

Shares of Weight Watchers International (WTW) soared 26.6% during the last trading week, driven by the power of Oprah.

The increase in value came as billionaire media star Oprah Winfrey, a major Weight Watchers investor and board member, tweeted an invitation asking her legions of Twitter followers to "come join me," just as many Americans made traditional new year resolutions to start dieting.

Are you ready?" asked Winfrey, premiering a new campaign touting the company's efforts to help members shed unwanted pounds. "Let's do this together."

Weight Watchers shares closed down 1.08% at $22.80 at the holiday-abbreviated end of the trading week Thursday, up from the $18.00 close on Christmas Eve. But the decline nibbled away little of the four-day overall gain.

The week's rise offered new evidence of Winfrey's international influence as she tries to lift the struggling 53-year-old New York City company by mixing star power with an emotional endorsement of reaching health goals.

In October, she spent $43.2 million to take a 10% stake in Weight Watchers and join the company's board of directors. Winfrey later boosted the stake to nearly 15%, including options.

Investors sent the company's shares up 105% overnight after her investment was disclosed, providing a $70 million one-day paper gain for Winfrey.

Coinciding with her investment, Weight Watchers announced it would expand its traditional focus on dieting and weight loss to include a broader emphasis on healthy living. The change seemed clear in the new video clip.

"Inside every overweight woman is a woman she knows she can be," said Winfrey, who famously has shared her personal battle of the bulge with fans. "If not now, when?"

Followers who navigated to Weight Watchers' website this week were greeted by a smiling image of the 61-year-old star, above an offer to "Join Free and Lose 10 Lbs on Us with purchase of select subscription plans."

The company's stock went through ups and downs in the months after Winfrey's investment, and reached a $26.61 a share peak on Nov. 18. Overall, Weight Watchers ended down 8.21% for the year.

Nonetheless, Winfrey, whose talk show recommendations have turned books new and old into instant best-sellers, has similarly emerged as at least a temporary financial savior for the company. Weight Watchers shares are now up 235.8% since she bought in, a sweet treat for her and other shareholders.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.18.17 @ 06:55 AM
    Liked 1,085 Times in 727 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    Investors sent the company's shares up 105% overnight after her investment was disclosed, providing a $70 million one-day paper gain for Winfrey.
    Nice day at the office for her.

She trying to lose weight again?
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 2,243 Times in 1,359 Posts

actually, WW has one of the better track records as it is a program that features at its core traditional nutrition standards. nothing trendy there

and it is flexible and inexpensive enough that you can do it for your lifetime as opposed to nutrisystem and jenny craig. I know someone who lost a bunch of weight on WW in the 70's and is still a member today, and has kept the weight off as well.

Oprah tho has had the benefit of personal chefs, trainers, nutritionists etc and still has not resolved her problems. Obviously this woman has drive, is focused and can commit long term to difficult projects, yet still has not resolved her difficulty with food. I hope this works for her...I wish health and happiness for everyone, but I wouldn't join weight watchers just because of her endorsement, because she has endorsed so many other plans before

that said, I joined a couple of weeks ago LOL. I have had some mysterious health problems over the last couple of years and have a couple of more tests to do, but it looks like one more test by an endocrinologist and I will have my answers. Looks like my weight gain, fatigue, concentration and sleep problems, and joint pain are not just the result of turning 55 and being under stress.....my thyroid is crapped out and might have to be removed.

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

Daisy, there are some really good Thyroid support groups on FB...Those people seem to know a lot more than the medics a lot of the time! Also, check out the website, "Stop the thyroid madness".
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,354 Times in 3,194 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Elwood P. View Post
    Nice day at the office for her.

She trying to lose weight again?
    I think her weigh loss is on a lunar cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using swagger

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 03:53 PM
    Liked 2,243 Times in 1,359 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dibblekins View Post
    Daisy, there are some really good Thyroid support groups on FB...Those people seem to know a lot more than the medics a lot of the time! Also, check out the website, "Stop the thyroid madness".
    thanks, good info. I'll look into that. I have an inherited thyroxine binding thyroid deficiency that has apparently masked my underactive thyroid. It's a benign condition that does nothing more than screw with your thyroid test results.

because of that my doctor is sending my back to the endocrinologist. I definitely have an enlarged thyroid which explains the pressure I've been feeling in my neck and over the last 3 months it has enlarged to the point where you can see/feel it. I definitely have 2 nodules which my doctor says is not unusual at my age and not to worry about but he definitely wants them biopsied. If the medications don't work to reduce the size of my thyroid, surgery is the only way....but my GP doctor, who doesn't believe in anyone putting a scalpel to his patients unless all other options are examined has proposed medication, some dietary support of my thyroid and some holistic treatments..stress reduction and the like.

I'm just glad I have some answers for these symptoms that my previous doctor just wanted to pass off as 'woman problems"

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Respect my Wind
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 02:05 PM
    Liked 1,140 Times in 650 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    I think her weigh loss is on a lunar cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using swagger
    Ha ha!
    "Alcoholism, is like, the only disease you can get yelled at for having" - Mitch
    Hedberg

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Love 'em all! (esp. F.U.C.K)
    Favorite VH Song

The Dream Is Over
    Last Online

12.04.17 @ 04:15 PM
    Liked 1,228 Times in 845 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post

I'm just glad I have some answers for these symptoms that my previous doctor just wanted to pass off as 'woman problems"
    Don't even get me started on that philosophy...It's why I started my advocacy and lobbying organisation. I'm sick to the back teeth of hearing such cr*p.

I can't even begin to tell you how many women I've now encountered being fobbed off with anti-depressants when they actually have a PHYSICAL DISEASE which the medics can't be arsed to diagnose or treat properly. These women are on the edge because they can't seem to get their voices heard or their symptoms assessed, not because they've got clinical depression. It makes me so bloody ANGRY!

Anyway, I have meetings with various politicians later this month, as well as NHS execs. Somebody has to take this fight to them, or we'll still be hearing the same nonsense decades from now.

Best of luck with your issues...I hope 2016 marks the start of better health for you, Daisy.
    I'm FEMALE...Deal with it!

"Whatever you do, wherever you go, there you are..." Edward Van Halen 1986

"You spend the first part of your life trying to make your mark, and the second part just trying to cover up your tracks"... Weesfreewheelin, 2012

"Life's too short to stuff a mushroom"... Shirley Conran, 1975

"You turn if you want to...The LADY is NOT for turning!"...Margaret
    Thatcher, 1980

13. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Eruption
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 06:05 PM
    Liked 172 Times in 106 Posts

There isn't a "secret" to losing weight. Just eat right and exercise. You don't have to eat right every meal of every day. It's alright to a have a steak, loaded baked potato, and a few beers once in awhile. Just don't make that your core diet.

Here are a few tips:

Drink lots of water and take it easy on the beer and soft drinks. Eat lots of fruits and vegetables. Don't like vegetables? Tough shit. Eat them anyway. Quit being a pansy. It's not rabbit food, it's "I'm tired of being a lazy fat ass" food. Eat grilled or baked chicken or fish instead of fried (again, it's alright to eat the fried stuff once in awhile, just don't make that your core diet).

Eat breakfast...greek yogurt, oatmeal, whole grain cereal, a banana, something. Eating a healthy breakfast helps you lose weight. You can eat donuts, bacon, pancakes, sugary cereal, etc...just don't eat it more than once a week and don't pig out every time you eat them.

Try not to eat within 3 hours of going to bed. You'll sleep better and it will give your body more time to digest the food properly.

15. The Following 3 Members Like This Post: