Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 18 123411 ... LastLast
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 03:16 PM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

Default What would you like to see from Van Halen now?

With the future of Van Halen up in the air once again, what direction would you like to see them take? Dave is out of contract and the future is uncertain with him. Rumors about Sammy's return are circulating. So which path should they take? Should they do anything with either Sam or Dave?

For me, I'm kind of torn on the issue. I happen to be one of those fans that really enjoy both eras of Van Halen, although I prefer the CVH a bit more. I really liked "A Different Kind of Truth", but I felt like the live performances were a little flat for the most part. I just couldn't get over Dave's new stage antics. It's just not what it was.

As For Sammy, I just feel like too much has gone down between him and the brothers for a reunion to be likely. I've seen first hand what the chemistry was like when they forced the reunion with Sammy before, and it sucked.

I for one, have kind of come to the realization that Van Halen continuing with either singer may not generate the kind of music or performances that we as fans expect. We picture in our minds a return to the glory days of Van Halen, but what we would likely get is an uninspired collection of songs and live performances that would leave us somewhat disappointed.

I'm wondering if maybe they should stop trying to get either one of the old singers back, and move forward with something different. Not necessarily another Gary or a new singer, but maybe an album of guest singers, kind of like the Santana model. They could have different singers come in and write their own song with Van Halen. I think it would be kind of cool to hear a bunch of different singers with the band, and how they would interpret their music with Van Halen. Hell, maybe something comes out of it with one particular singer, and they follow up with having them join the band.

I just don't know what to feel at this point with the band. Maybe it's my age, or maybe it's the experience of having seen all the bullshit slung between all the players involved over the years, but I just don't have the same level of excitement or emotional investment in the band as I used to. I'd like to see something totally new from them to get the excitement level up again, and I just don't think they can do it with either of the old singers. It would just be kind of like, "Yeah, I've seen this show before." I'm really kind of bummed about it.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

2. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

All of 'em
    Favorite VH Song

All except "How Many Say I"
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 12:35 PM
    Liked 164 Times in 89 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    With the future of Van Halen up in the air once again, what direction would you like to see them take? Dave is out of contract and the future is uncertain with him. Rumors about Sammy's return are circulating. So which path should they take? Should they do anything with either Sam or Dave?

For me, I'm kind of torn on the issue. I happen to be one of those fans that really enjoy both eras of Van Halen, although I prefer the CVH a bit more. I really liked "A Different Kind of Truth", but I felt like the live performances were a little flat for the most part. I just couldn't get over Dave's new stage antics. It's just not what it was.

As For Sammy, I just feel like too much has gone down between him and the brothers for a reunion to be likely. I've seen first hand what the chemistry was like when they forced the reunion with Sammy before, and it sucked.

I for one, have kind of come to the realization that Van Halen continuing with either singer may not generate the kind of music or performances that we as fans expect. We picture in our minds a return to the glory days of Van Halen, but what we would likely get is an uninspired collection of songs and live performances that would leave us somewhat disappointed.

I'm wondering if maybe they should stop trying to get either one of the old singers back, and move forward with something different. Not necessarily another Gary or a new singer, but maybe an album of guest singers, kind of like the Santana model. They could have different singers come in and write their own song with Van Halen. I think it would be kind of cool to hear a bunch of different singers with the band, and how they would interpret their music with Van Halen. Hell, maybe something comes out of it with one particular singer, and they follow up with having them join the band.

I just don't know what to feel at this point with the band. Maybe it's my age, or maybe it's the experience of having seen all the bullshit slung between all the players involved over the years, but I just don't have the same level of excitement or emotional investment in the band as I used to. I'd like to see something totally new from them to get the excitement level up again, and I just don't think they can do it with either of the old singers. It would just be kind of like, "Yeah, I've seen this show before." I'm really kind of bummed about it.
    I've said it before...call it Vantana!
    “Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy.” - Benjamin Franklin

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:14 AM
    Liked 650 Times in 369 Posts

I'm hoping they update their website and wish us a Happy 2009
    Cabo x 20
    Van Halen x 11
    Sammy x 20+
    DLR x 2

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:10 AM
    Liked 7,842 Times in 4,578 Posts

Premium Member

Renew contract with Dave and bring in Mike.

Bring back Sam and Mike.

I will not accept another singer nor would I accept Cherone part II.

NO trio, either.

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:16 AM
    Liked 6,828 Times in 3,570 Posts

Premium Member

I applaud the effort, but this thread should look exactly like every other thread in Main by the end of the day.

8. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:10 AM
    Liked 7,842 Times in 4,578 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    I applaud the effort, but this thread should look exactly like every other thread in Main by the end of the day.
    Get used to it or you might wanna stay out of Main. Watch a few films. Post a few reviews.

We're in for a long dry spell.

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:15 AM
    Liked 16,525 Times in 9,367 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    Get used to it or you might wanna stay out of Main. Watch a few films. Post a few reviews.

We're in for a long dry spell.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

11. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    Renew contract with Dave and bring in Mike.

Bring back Sam and Mike.

I will not accept another singer nor would I accept Cherone part II.

NO trio, either.
    I know how you feel man. I would love to see an honest to goodness real reunion with Dave or Sam. What I don't want to see is the kind of reunions we have already seen with them. I think the most important ingredient to a reunion with either one of them has to be real chemistry. It's great that we are excited about a reunion, but for it to be good, they have to be excited about it too. When you hear that Dave and the Brothers rarely speak outside of business, and that they record the album across the country from one another, it kind of removes any excitement from the creative equation.

Unless the guys have an honest re-kindling of some kind of personal relationship with the singer, I just don't think it will work well. A great example is "A Different Kind of Truth". Although it was, IMO, a great album, I think everyone has to admit that it was a bit uninspired to some degree. It's not like they broke new ground with it. The majority of the songs released were old demos that were re-worked for the album. Most of us familiar with the band recognized them immediately, and had heard them in some form before. It was sort of a cheap way out to satisfy the fans demand for a reunion with the original singer. It worked for a nostalgia act, but it broke no new ground musically.

I just don't think that EVH can write music with either one of those guys and have it be new and original. I don't think he would be excited to write music with either one of them. Anything new would probably be forced. I don't want the next album I hear from Van Halen to be re-treads of old, unreleased material. I want to hear what EVH would write with a singer today. For that to happen, he needs to be excited about the prospect of exploring musical possibilities with the singer. He did that with Gary on Van Halen III, with some mixed results. Whether you like it or you hate it, he was genuinely producing something unlike we heard from Van Halen before. While the structure of some of the songs on III may have been questionable, there was some real genius in his playing.

If they were to do an album with guest singers ala Santana, he could explore musical possibilities without getting locked into the musical vision of one single singer like Gary, and the results could be some truly inspired music. That is something I could really look forward to. Would I love to see Sammy come back with Mike and release a kick-ass album of new material? Hell yes! I just don't think it's even possible though.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

13. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by ejmaes67 View Post
    I've said it before...call it Vantana!
    Funny. I'm serious though. Have Dave Grohl produce it, and there's no way it could lose.

15. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:47 AM
    Liked 18,127 Times in 8,952 Posts

You guys are out of your minds.

There hasn't been real chemistry in Van Halen since 1993, you think they are all going to start genuinely liking each other now?

Look at Deep Purple, and how petty we all think they are. That is what people think of Van Halen too, except we don't see it because they are our favorite band.

It will NEVER be how it once was. IF they ever do anything, whomever it is with, it will be a BUSINESS deal, not a "brother for life" new blossoming of a friendship, no matter what is said in the press release. That ship has long sailed.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

17. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:47 AM
    Liked 18,127 Times in 8,952 Posts

Ed had to be coaxed out of retirement with the allure of playing with his son and making up for the decade plus lost in their relationship due to Ed's problems.

I would be absolutely shocked if he ever does anything again without Wolf being involved. It's Van Halen, and they change their minds like underwear, so anything is possible, but I don't see it.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

19. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    You guys are out of your minds.

There hasn't been real chemistry in Van Halen since 1993, you think they are all going to start genuinely liking each other now?

Look at Deep Purple, and how petty we all think they are. That is what people think of Van Halen too, except we don't see it because they are our favorite band.

It will NEVER be how it once was. IF they ever do anything, whomever it is with, it will be a BUSINESS deal, not a "brother for life" new blossoming of a friendship, no matter what is said in the press release. That ship has long sailed.
    Yeah, I guess that's kind of my point. As long as it's only going to be a business deal, let's break some new musical ground with it, and have an album with multiple singers. Don't try to convince everybody that it's some magical relationship. It's an opportunity for singers we all know that appreciate Van Halen to do a song with the band.

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:26 AM
    Liked 6,970 Times in 5,006 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's Dreidel View Post
    Ed had to be coaxed out of retirement with the allure of playing with his son and making up for the decade plus lost in their relationship due to Ed's problems.

I would be absolutely shocked if he ever does anything again without Wolf being involved. It's Van Halen, and they change their minds like underwear, so anything is possible, but I don't see it.
    I feel the same way... I just don't see Ed performing without Wolf at this stage of the game.
    Singer switch (Sammy) or a joint tour? Sure.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:12 AM
    Liked 11,749 Times in 6,507 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by nobozos View Post
    Yeah, I guess that's kind of my point. As long as it's only going to be a business deal, let's break some new musical ground with it, and have an album with multiple singers. Don't try to convince everybody that it's some magical relationship. It's an opportunity for singers we all know that appreciate Van Halen to do a song with the band.
    The multiple singers thing is not something I think most people would like. I think it's a bad idea for Van Halen. For an Ed solo project it would be good, not a VH album. And good luck with Ed making an album of any kind these days.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    The multiple singers thing is not something I think most people would like. I think it's a bad idea for Van Halen. For an Ed solo project it would be good, not a VH album. And good luck with Ed making an album of any kind these days.
    I don't know man. I don't think Ed has as much of a problem making music or making an album as he does touring. I think if he could sit around his studio and make music with some people without the stress of a tour to support it, it would be ideal for him.

I fully understand that for a lot of fans, no alternatives would be accepted. They either want Dave or Sammy with Van Halen, or they won't like it. I do however believe that an album of multiple artists performing with Van Halen would be a huge commercial success outside of the narrow fan base. The problem for them is, if they commit to Dave, they alienate the Sammy fan base. If they commit to Sammy, they alienate the Dave fan base. No matter who they chose in that situation, they only draw Van Halen fans of that particular era in. If they did a multiple artist album, they would be bringing in their own fans, as well as fans of those artists, giving them a broader exposure. All that aside, there would be a new creative process at work. That's something we haven't seen since the 90's. I could get excited about that.