Register
Page 1 of 10 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Jump
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:25 AM
    Liked 180 Times in 91 Posts

Default Is "As Is" The Newest VH Lineup At It's Best?

It's interesting how we can have a kind of awakening with a certain song years after we first hear it. I had that with "As Is".

I really liked "As Is" when it came out in 2012 but then passed over it for a few years for some reason. Maybe I was more tuned in to the new version of the old demos more at the time. Recently, however, it popped up on my phone and I loved it even more than when I first heard it.

It really showcases the three original members at their best in my opinion. The drum intro by Alex is like "Everybody Wants Some" with a massive 'F.U.C.K.' era production to it. That "Big Al" sound is combined with his little brother's heavy 'Fair Warning'-like riff complimented nicely with his classic guitar screams. People criticized him for going back to old demo material (which is a silly critique by the way) but this proved he had more to offer.

Then there's Dave. His lyrics are classic DLR with the in-your-face attitude coupled with the double entendres and tongue twisters throughout. "A little more volume in the headphones please?". How can you not love that? He even manages to get in his classic high scream on the track a few times. It wasn't at 'Runnin With The Devil' level but definitely reminiscent of the early Dave years.

Maybe my favorite part of "As Is" is the breakdown in the middle. Dave does his low-baritone talk part underneath Eddie doing his boogie blues thing he made famous on "Hot For Teacher".

As if all that weren't enough, the song trails out with the darker side of Edward as his guitar moans it's way out of the track.

What do you guys think?

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:24 PM
    Liked 16,581 Times in 9,404 Posts

I've said this on here before, but I think this song should have started with Eddie's guitar riff at the 40 second mark, followed by Dave's scream at the 41 second mark. If they'd released it that way, "As Is" would have made a great first single and opening track (instead of "Tattoo") from ADKOT.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:46 PM
    Liked 11,786 Times in 6,532 Posts

Premium Member

To me it shows that they can still bring it. When I first heard it I immediately thought "THIS is Van Halen".
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

5. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Jump
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:25 AM
    Liked 180 Times in 91 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    I've said this on here before, but I think this song should have started with Eddie's guitar riff at the 40 second mark, followed by Dave's scream at the 41 second mark. If they'd released it that way, "As Is" would have made a great first single and opening track (instead of "Tattoo") from ADKOT.
    Good point. It would have made a great statement that the band was back and ready to pick up where they left off.

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 05:45 PM
    Liked 8,798 Times in 4,765 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by EAS View Post

It's interesting how we can have a kind of awakening with a certain song years after we first hear it. I had that with "As Is".

I really liked "As Is" when it came out in 2012 but then passed over it for a few years for some reason. Maybe I was more tuned in to the new version of the old demos more at the time. Recently, however, it popped up on my phone and I loved it even more than when I first heard it.

It really showcases the three original members at their best in my opinion. The drum intro by Alex is like "Everybody Wants Some" with a massive 'F.U.C.K.' era production to it. That "Big Al" sound is combined with his little brother's heavy 'Fair Warning'-like riff complimented nicely with his classic guitar screams. People criticized him for going back to old demo material (which is a silly critique by the way) but this proved he had more to offer.

Then there's Dave. His lyrics are classic DLR with the in-your-face attitude coupled with the double entendres and tongue twisters throughout. "A little more volume in the headphones please?". How can you not love that? He even manages to get in his classic high scream on the track a few times. It wasn't at 'Runnin With The Devil' level but definitely reminiscent of the early Dave years.

Maybe my favorite part of "As Is" is the breakdown in the middle. Dave does his low-baritone talk part underneath Eddie doing his boogie blues thing he made famous on "Hot For Teacher".

As if all that weren't enough, the song trails out with the darker side of Edward as his guitar moans it's way out of the track.

What do you guys think?
    I think this is an excellent post, and a spot on assessment of my favorite track on ADKOT. Well, except for the comparison of the drums to the FUCK era, as that isn't one of my favorite drum sounds for Alex.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Premium Member

This is a rare occasion where I strongly disagree with you lol. Love the HUGE drum intro and that sludgy fat guitar of Ed's at the beginning. Another CLASSIC Ed/Al intro!

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    To me it shows that they can still bring it. When I first heard it I immediately thought "THIS is Van Halen".
    The whole album brought out the fire and heavy intensity that I'd missed since 1984.

12. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

So which iconic Van Halen song does "As Is" remind you of?
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 09:13 PM
    Liked 6,982 Times in 5,015 Posts

Premium Member

So which iconic Van Halen song does "As Is" remind you of?
    Man on a Mission.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    Man on a Mission.
    LOL!

That was certainly IRONIC ...

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by EAS View Post

What do you guys think?
    It's still a great song from a great album!!! The riff is a real barn burner, and one of Ed's best IMO.
    I also like the breakdown part, and the way Ed's sustainer fades out the proceedings. It has a haunting type of quality to it, after having your senses barraged (in a good way!) for most of the track.

I'd love to hear this on the radio on a Friday night!
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

LOL!

That was certainly IRONIC ...
    I actually wasn't totally kidding...
    Ed's riff - the climbing fretted notes, pulled off to open strings, actually is a bit similar to Man on a Mission. There's a bit of Loss Of Control in there too.
    Last edited by RRvh1; 12.19.15 at 10:50 AM.

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

I hear elements of this in "As Is" ...

As well as this, which was obviously influenced by "HFT" ...

19. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Premium Member

I hear elements of this in "As Is" ...

As well as this, which was obviously influenced by "HFT" ...

Part of the As Is riff reminds me of part of AFU as well.

The breakdown with Ed's clean guitar and Dave's spoken word part just screams classic Van Halen, and is one of the best aspects of the greatest songwriting team in the history of the sport.

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    I actually wasn't totally kidding...
    Ed's riff - the climbing fretted notes, pulled off to open strings, actually is a bit similar to Man on a Mission. There's a bit of Loss Of Control in there too.
    I never really noticed the similarities to Man On A Mission and Loss Of Control until you mentioned it. Good call.