Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26
  1. #1
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    10.11.09
    Posts
    10,542
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 10:28 PM
    Likes
    572
    Liked 1,483 Times in 1,012 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default A college banned a junior for 6 months over a Yik Yak post that said black women 'are

    A college banned a junior for 6 months over a Yik Yak post that said black women 'aren't hot'

    http://finance.yahoo.com/news/colleg...180906119.html

    Colleges are quickly becoming an embarrassment to society.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

    "I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

    Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

    "McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

  2. #2
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    43
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,142
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 08:25 PM
    Likes
    1,316
    Liked 6,697 Times in 3,717 Posts

    Default

    It doesn't sound like that's the reason. What were the other posts they claimed that he made?

    Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.03
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    13,986
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 10:06 PM
    Likes
    815
    Liked 3,115 Times in 1,826 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    It is true that he was accused, without evidence, of all of the racial postings that night, but I haven't been able to find out what those were. But the broader story, I think, is troubling no matter what those were. We know they were worse, though. From The College Fix, "He accused Mason and Cervantes of 'bias' for focusing on 'far more heinous' Yik Yak comments – using the 'explicit language of white supremacy, racial slurs, and open hatred, all language and attitudes that I find despicable' – in his interrogation, Pryor wrote. He believes that whoever reported him to the school 'misled' the officials as to the extent of his role."

    He wasn't even told what he was accused of until he was sentenced, and no one could explain why 21 months was the exact amount of time appropriate for his sentence even though it happened to be the exact amount of time between himself and graduation. It was reduced to 6 months, but he was told he could attend no other college for credit during that time. The college even violated its own rules and procedures regarding accusations, evidence, and notifying the student.

    This is a private college, so I suppose they can suspend you for language outside of the campus that they have no evidence you actually said, but at the very least they should do so using procedures they have in place.

    On thing The College Fix goes into is how the racial slurs on Yik Yak started. "The 'entire situation' on Yik Yak Nov. 9 actually began with crass comments targeting white students, calling them 'dirty hippies with small dicks' who are 'always fucking their cousins,' then moving on to mocking Muslims and even 'Smurfs,' Pryor wrote."

  4. #4
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    10.11.09
    Posts
    10,542
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 10:28 PM
    Likes
    572
    Liked 1,483 Times in 1,012 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    It is true that he was accused, without evidence, of all of the racial postings that night, but I haven't been able to find out what those were. But the broader story, I think, is troubling no matter what those were. We know they were worse, though. From The College Fix, "He accused Mason and Cervantes of 'bias' for focusing on 'far more heinous' Yik Yak comments – using the 'explicit language of white supremacy, racial slurs, and open hatred, all language and attitudes that I find despicable' – in his interrogation, Pryor wrote. He believes that whoever reported him to the school 'misled' the officials as to the extent of his role."

    He wasn't even told what he was accused of until he was sentenced, and no one could explain why 21 months was the exact amount of time appropriate for his sentence even though it happened to be the exact amount of time between himself and graduation. It was reduced to 6 months, but he was told he could attend no other college for credit during that time. The college even violated its own rules and procedures regarding accusations, evidence, and notifying the student.

    This is a private college, so I suppose they can suspend you for language outside of the campus that they have no evidence you actually said, but at the very least they should do so using procedures they have in place.

    On thing The College Fix goes into is how the racial slurs on Yik Yak started. "The 'entire situation' on Yik Yak Nov. 9 actually began with crass comments targeting white students, calling them 'dirty hippies with small dicks' who are 'always fucking their cousins,' then moving on to mocking Muslims and even 'Smurfs,' Pryor wrote."
    Pretty much.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

    "I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

    Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

    "McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

  5. #5
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    43
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,142
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 08:25 PM
    Likes
    1,316
    Liked 6,697 Times in 3,717 Posts

    Default

    Hard for me to be critical of the college when we have near zero information. Pretty ridiculous headline considering the lack of evidence to support it in my opinion.

    Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.03
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    13,986
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 10:06 PM
    Likes
    815
    Liked 3,115 Times in 1,826 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    Hard for me to be critical of the college when we have near zero information. Pretty ridiculous headline considering the lack of evidence to support it in my opinion.

    Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
    Wouldn't, by the same logic, the suspension be ridiculous at this point considering there is no evidence he was responsible for any of the posts other than him admitting to one of them?

  7. #7
    Atomic Punk I Coulda Hada VH's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.29.00
    Location
    Land O' Lakers
    Posts
    30,465
    Favorite VH Album

    The First One
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 08:48 PM
    Likes
    10,316
    Liked 16,544 Times in 9,378 Posts

    Default

    So much for "Freedom Of Speech" ...
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

    "If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

    "Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

    "Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

  8. #8
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    43
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,142
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 08:25 PM
    Likes
    1,316
    Liked 6,697 Times in 3,717 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    Wouldn't, by the same logic, the suspension be ridiculous at this point considering there is no evidence he was responsible for any of the posts other than him admitting to one of them?
    Not at all. He was suspended. I assume they just don't suspend students for two years for random reasons. So until I'm shown evidence that this was ridiculous I shall assume it is not. It is a private college, they don't need to tell us anything. We're only getting the side of the guy they deemed worthy of being tossed

    Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by It's Mike; 12.14.15 at 01:12 PM.

  9. #9
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    43
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,142
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 08:25 PM
    Likes
    1,316
    Liked 6,697 Times in 3,717 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    So much for "Freedom Of Speech" ...
    Freedom of speech does not mean your words do not have consequences.

    Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

  10. #10
    Atomic Punk bsbll4's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.18.03
    Age
    34
    Location
    St. Louis, MO
    Posts
    8,645
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 02:04 PM
    Likes
    572
    Liked 2,231 Times in 1,124 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    Freedom of speech does not mean your words do not have consequences.

    Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
    True, but wouldn't we be up in arms if a small private college suspended someone because he said that he finds people from Alabama to be "not hot." Sometimes the consequences aren't reflective of the crime committed--if there's a crime at all.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

  11. #11
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    10.11.09
    Posts
    10,542
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 10:28 PM
    Likes
    572
    Liked 1,483 Times in 1,012 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    Not at all. He was suspended. I assume they just don't suspend students for two years for random reasons. So until I'm shown evidence that this was ridiculous I shall assume it is not. It is a private college, they don't need to tell us anything. We're only getting the side of the guy they deemed worthy of being tossed

    Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
    Well, they reduced it to 6 months and that leads me to believe that he didn't do as much wrong as they originally claimed.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

    "I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

    Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

    "McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

  12. #12
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    43
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    34,142
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 08:25 PM
    Likes
    1,316
    Liked 6,697 Times in 3,717 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    True, but wouldn't we be up in arms if a small private college suspended someone because he said that he finds people from Alabama to be "not hot." Sometimes the consequences aren't reflective of the crime committed--if there's a crime at all.
    We would. But we'd also assume wasn't the whole story when there's clearly missing information , wouldn't we?

    Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    10.11.09
    Posts
    10,542
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 10:28 PM
    Likes
    572
    Liked 1,483 Times in 1,012 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    Not at all. He was suspended. I assume they just don't suspend students for two years for random reasons. So until I'm shown evidence that this was ridiculous I shall assume it is not. It is a private college, they don't need to tell us anything. We're only getting the side of the guy they deemed worthy of being tossed

    Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk
    Well, if they don't want to give people anymore info that is on them.
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

    "I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

    Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

    "McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

  14. #14
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    10.11.09
    Posts
    10,542
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 10:28 PM
    Likes
    572
    Liked 1,483 Times in 1,012 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bsbll4 View Post
    True, but wouldn't we be up in arms if a small private college suspended someone because he said that he finds people from Alabama to be "not hot." Sometimes the consequences aren't reflective of the crime committed--if there's a crime at all.
    I wonder what happened to the people that made the anti white posts?
    Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge:

    "I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built and it is terrific."

    Samuel Johnson 1775 : “Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel”

    "McDonalds is The Antichrist" - Bill Hicks

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSH6ofHbeUw

  15. #15
    Atomic Punk Dave's Dreidel's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.10.05
    Age
    47
    Location
    Kate Upton's Closet
    Posts
    37,899
    Favorite VH Album

    Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

    The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

    12.14.17 @ 10:37 AM
    Likes
    3,508
    Liked 18,148 Times in 8,966 Posts

    Default

    I don't like the trend in this country in which casual conversation can cause you to lose your job, your education, etc.

    Until you actually threaten harm to someone, have some thicker skin. If someone said "I don't find white blondes attractive" my first thought is "good, more for me then", not that my race has been offended.

    A large number of people in my opinion look to be outraged by something. Too much time on their hands, it's ticking away with their sanity.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

    Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

    David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

    Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

    Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

    DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Sandra Fluke is NOT a 23 year old college student. She is a women's rights activist.
    By rocknblues81 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 08.01.14, 08:55 AM
  2. College chick strips, then post pics..
    By perticelli in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 12.16.05, 02:43 AM
  3. I post this every couple of months...
    By chippertheripper in forum Bootleg Network
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01.15.05, 07:49 PM
  4. A Black Summer In Hell...How I Spent Eight Months In A Vancouver, BC Prison...
    By theodore templeman in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10.09.02, 09:37 PM
  5. Why Pretty Women video was banned from MTV ?
    By Eddie_italian in forum Van Halen 101
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05.01.00, 11:30 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •