Register
    Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:23 AM
    Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Default NAD! 6505 MH, Should i keep it?

Hi, I finally pulled the trigger and picked up a Peavey 6505 MH. I wanted a real tube amp for my basement so I can have my beloved Yamaha THR10x in my bedroom with my computer for recording how bad I play. I needed something with power scaling because I only play at home with youtube backing tracks, And I only try to play VH songs and riffs (Ok, and the Top Gun thing, lol). So far I am kinda happy with it but even on 1 watt I can only get the lead post(power tubes) to about 10 o'clock or so before I am pushing the sound barrier with people home. I got a used line 6 dl4 delay and a used EVH 1x12 cab off craigslist to go with it. I already have a MXR/EVH flanger. What I am kinda bummed about is I thought that the 6505 would give me CVH on the green/clean channel with the crunch on and gain all the way up. This way I could use the red/gain channel for solo's and intro's. I feel like it's a bit short of pulling that off. I am also noticing that the clean channel is not so clean but that's not a huge thing since I only use clean for the intro of HAIL. And clean/gain up a little for 316. I posted 2 months ago that I was out between this and the Bugera G5 AND the new 5150 pedal. There were 3 reasons I went with the Peavey..I saved $75 on it because of black friday and it was above $299($500). The Bugera g5 is $250 and 5150 pedal $200 so no 15% off. #2..It's very "EVH", it's basically a renumbered 5150 turned into a mini (or micro) head. #3..It can be switched between 8 and 16 ohm's..I wanted a EVH cab or similar, Everything I looked at is 16 ohm's. SO..Here is a BIG question..The Bugera says on the back 8 OHM"S MIN. No one could give me a straight answer if I can run a 16 ohm cab! Bugera distributor says I have to run a 8 ohm cab, when I questioned him on why does is say 8 ohm MINIMUM then he said "Well u could run a 4 ohm cab in stereo too"?!?! 8 ohm Min. but I CAN run a 4 ohm too?!?! If I decide the bugera might be better because it's more "Marshally" on the lead channel, The 5150 pedal can be set for a more current Vh tone or a solo "channel", it goes from 5 watts, to 1, to .01, and clean is cleaner...Can I run the 5150 16 ohm cab?? Or am I just a dumb a*# that should be able to get what I want out of this rig? Any help is very appreciated!
    Last edited by 717; 12.09.15 at 06:15 PM.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,107 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I have the 6505+112 and the 6505+H and really dislike them both--not sure why I haven't sold them yet other than the fact that my GF is using the 112 for a night stand lol
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.

Last Online

12.17.17 @ 07:24 AM
    Liked 734 Times in 347 Posts

If volume is an issue at 1 watt, you could use the speaker defeat switch and use your headphone output into the input of some powered speakers, or you could go to the Aux Input of your THR10x. That would enable you to crank the tubes on the 6505, and play the sounds at lower volumes.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Bugera are a decent knockaround amp if you choose to go that way, but you should do a check online about reliability issues. They're a division of Behrringer, so keep in mind that that company sells primarily entry level equipment to a large extent. A few forums I've been on in the past have noted component problems after a while, like significant gain drops, to sound cutting in and out, and transformer connectors rattling off and shorting on the chassis. Some of these were related to cold solder joints and/or poor quality connector clips. If you get a good one (ie. made after some of the manufacturing issues were addressed) they are great sounding amps for very little money. It's not a slag on Bugera. I've had those very same problems on my Vox AC30 I purchased 5 yrs. ago. Issues started 3 or 4 days after the warranty expired too believe it or not! It's been in the service center several times, and most of the big issues have been fixed, but it still acts up once in a while when I've run it hard for a couple hours or so, but they have not been able to duplicate the problem at the shop.
    Bottom line is you can have issues with any amp, but with lesser quality comes more of a chance of frustration. The whole 8 ohm. Min. deal seams self explanatory to me, but it's weird that the dude selling them didn't have an adequate answer. That raises a flag for me. You should have a selector on an amp that specifically adjusts the amps output for a particular cabs rated impedance.
    Having a one size fits all jack with a vague reference to "min." impedance doesn't give me a great deal of confidence unless you find a good sounding 8 ohm. cab that matches the amps output optimally.
    Last edited by we die young; 12.30.15 at 11:15 AM.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Hey, UPDATE..I returned the Peavey 6505 and picked up a used Bugera g5 for $180.00 off the bay. I am pretty happy, And it left me enough money to buy a used line 6 m13 stompbox modeler. The amp seems fine with the 16 ohm EVH 1x12 cab, But if I get someone local to give me the $200 I paid for it I will probably sell and get the matching 8 ohm Bugera cab. The Bugera sounds so much more "Marshally" and has plenty more gain to go if I feel the need. Thanks nobozo's for the idea of running the 6505MH from the headphones out to computer speakers..I did not think of that! But it sounded like poop and the speakers were not powerful enough. So I am pretty darn happy with the setup now..Well I think..I just got the m13 today and I am at work. I am also thinking of getting a A/B pedal and running a "ghetto" stereo setup WITH the Yamaha THR10x. Might be the perfect blend for me! Pics. in the gear section in the next day or 2 with my 6 guitars I have never posted (lazy). I have known about Bugera's problems..But after A LOT of research I think that most of that is in the past. I dug deep because a bunch of people were saying Bugera's light up and CATCH FIRE and will burn my place down! That did have me worried to say the least.lol
    Last edited by 717; 12.30.15 at 11:36 AM.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.25.17 @ 09:06 AM
    Liked 1,374 Times in 803 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 717 View Post
    Hey, UPDATE..I returned the Peavey 6505 and picked up a used Bugera g5 for $180.00 off the bay. I am pretty happy, And it left me enough money to buy a used line 6 m13 stompbox modeler. The amp seems fine with the 16 ohm EVH 1x12 cab, But if I get someone local to give me the $200 I paid for it I will probably sell and get the matching 8 ohm Bugera cab. The Bugera sounds so much more "Marshally" and has plenty more gain to go if I feel the need. Thanks nobozo's for the idea of running the 6505MH from the headphones out to computer speakers..I did not think of that! But it sounded like poop and the speakers were not powerful enough. So I am pretty darn happy with the setup now..Well I think..I just got the m13 today and I am at work. I am also thinking of getting a A/B pedal and running a "ghetto" stereo setup WITH the Yamaha THR10x. Might be the perfect blend for me! Pics. in the gear section in the next day or 2 with my 6 guitars I have never posted (lazy). I have known about Bugera's problems..But after A LOT of research I think that most of that is in the past. I dug deep because a bunch of people were saying Bugera's light up and CATCH FIRE and will burn my place down! That did have me worried to say the least.lol
    Great man! and hey...I wasn't trying to rain on your parade. I just didn't want you getting stuck with a bum amp after already having disappointment with the Peavey. No matter the money spent. I just had my apprehension about saying "yeah! go for the Bugera!" given some of what I've read. Like I said, I know they have been working hard to right some of the wrongs, so that's at least admirable, and you did your research, so all good.
    Have fun, and glad you were able to save some money for some other additions to boot.

On Fire
    Last Online

10.04.16 @ 10:31 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 717 View Post
    so those G5's are good? I seen they are much cheaper than the blackstar HT5R.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

I am not a amp pro by ANY means..But I have had it for a month and I am happy with it on the lead channel..I don't think the clean is that great but it's only 1 eq and I have not tried to change the eq for a good clean yet. Oh, And I accidentally left it on for about 30 hrs..Still works fine. So, IMHO it's worth the $250 or less you would pay for it.