Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:21 AM
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts

Premium Member

Default Create your favorite Sammy era guitar!

I've long been known to favor Ed's EBMM guitar. Simply classic IMO.
    However, I've never owned a real one, and have only bought the budget AX40 models. I do currently own a couple of Wolfgang guitars.

I like/love certain features of each, and have often thought about combining the "best" assets of both legendary designs - the EBMM and the Wolfgang.

If you could use those two iconic axes as a springboard for a hybrid custom, what would you do?
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 06:33 PM
    Liked 911 Times in 467 Posts

I spent a few minutes creating a hybrid combining the best between the both, and I ended up with a guitar identical to an EBMM EVH. I own a Peavey Wolf and a EBMM.

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Right on, bro!!!
    Please elaborate...

I know you love the EBMM as much as I do (if that's possible!? ha), and also know you've owned both of Ed's main signature guitar designs. You stated your point - I'd like to hear "why?"
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 06:33 PM
    Liked 911 Times in 467 Posts

I'll go for a few things
    1. The guitar feels a lot lighter, even though it's only about 15% lighter.
    2. The guitar is feels less bulky and moves with your body easier instead of feeling like a hanging weight.
    3. The 5150 neck shape is noticeable and comfortable (I'm sure you don't need more details about this)
    4. I'm a sucker for good quilts, and the quilts on EBMMs are more consistently a higher quality than on Wolfgangs, on Peavey's, at least (in my opinion).
    5. The pickups have this special thing about them I can really only describe as a "sparkle" that add just a little bit over the Wolfgang's pickups.

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Sweet!!!
    Nice details. I'll post mine in a bit.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I & Balance
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One & Feelin'
    Last Online

11.10.17 @ 05:45 AM
    Liked 267 Times in 150 Posts

Cool thread, I'll play!

I'll take a EBMM neck, but with the headstock of the EVH. I'd like the weight of the guitar to be similar to the EBMM and not the Peavey, but I'd want the contour top of the Peavey with the toggle switch where they're at on all Wolfs. Two of my Peavey Wolfs are fairly lightweight. The other two, especially my purple one, weigh a ton! I'll like the EBMM Dimarzio bridge pickup paired with the EVH/Fender neck pickup, and the EVH-branded trem of the EVH guitars.

I thought about wishing for a trans-trem on this made-up Wolf, but I have a feeling they're a bitch to maintain and I'm not the most patient person. I've never owned a TT though so I'm just guessing.

Finally, I think I'd like this in some black quilt top but with VH stripes someone. Maybe grayish stripes over black quilt--I don't know. I'm taking liberties here since I'm just imagining this as I type lol.

9. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth5150 View Post
    Cool thread, I'll play!

I'll take a EBMM neck, but with the headstock of the EVH. I'd like the weight of the guitar to be similar to the EBMM and not the Peavey, but I'd want the contour top of the Peavey with the toggle switch where they're at on all Wolfs. Two of my Peavey Wolfs are fairly lightweight. The other two, especially my purple one, weigh a ton! I'll like the EBMM Dimarzio bridge pickup paired with the EVH/Fender neck pickup, and the EVH-branded trem of the EVH guitars.

I thought about wishing for a trans-trem on this made-up Wolf, but I have a feeling they're a bitch to maintain and I'm not the most patient person. I've never owned a TT though so I'm just guessing.

Finally, I think I'd like this in some black quilt top but with VH stripes someone. Maybe grayish stripes over black quilt--I don't know. I'm taking liberties here since I'm just imagining this as I type lol.
    Awesome wish list, bro!!!
    I like the way you think.

Like I said above ^^^, I'll post mine soon.

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Aint Talkin Bout Love
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 04:04 PM
    Liked 460 Times in 200 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Stealth5150 View Post
    Cool thread, I'll play!

great wish list... love it. Actually the Trans terms are not that bad to maintain. At least mine is not. I have had my GL2T for years and once they are set they are set. Getting them set is a bitch but once your good to go its not too bad. There is stuff online that show you how to set them up. I have not had to do mine in years.

13. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT/Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Liked 627 Times in 310 Posts

You know what I'd like? The 5150 with the two EBMM pickups, the switch location of the Peavey Wolfgang, the 5150/Music Man neck profile, a Trans Trem (which I guess would negate the need for a headstock, but...), the Ernie Ball headstock, and a kill switch (wrong era, I know, but it would be cool). With stripes, of course.
    Last edited by Brody VH; 12.05.15 at 04:41 PM. Reason: I keep thinking of stuff!
    I'm just here.

Hotty Toddy, gosh almighty,
    Who the hell are we? Hey!

Flim flam, bim bam,
    Ole Miss, by damn!

"I can't complain but sometimes I still do" - Joe Walsh

15. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:39 AM
    Liked 1,605 Times in 742 Posts

Premium Member

I'd love an EBMM with an contour top. The flat top is the only thing I dont like about them. I've got a cherryburst, but I'd love one of the blue ones that look like the water at Bora Bora.
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

17. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

1984, VH1, ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL, China Town
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 09:46 PM
    Liked 151 Times in 86 Posts

As much as I love my Wolfgang, I think they got it perfect with the EBMM EVH. The only thing I'd change, as mentioned above, would be to have a carved top instead of flat. I've had mine for about a year, and it's my #1 non-Les Paul.
    "People ask me how far I've come. And I tell them twelve feet: from the audience to the stage." - David Lee Roth

19. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

I'm also of the opinion that Eddie "got it right" with the EBMM design, although some of the Wolfgang's later appointments had some nice additions.
    For clarification, we can also include features from the current EVH/Fender line of Wolfgangs, because I feel they are really just extentions of the Peavey Wolf - with a few updates.

GREAT responses so far, guys!
    Cheers

21. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

My ideal axe would certainly be the EBMM body/neck/headstock design, for starters.

From there, I'd go:
    -Thick quilted top, as I prefer quilts to flames. Blue, green, purple, red are the main colors I'd like. Keep the cream binding and the flat black on the back.
    -I'd move Ed's original toggle switch location to where the current Axis/AX40 guitars have it by the volume knob. The toggle switch is my only beef with any of the Wolfgang guitars. too.
    -I'd probably go with medium to jumbo frets, and use the graphite rods for stability like the new Wolfs. Matching headstock color as well. Also keep the pearloid tuner heads.
    -Swap the Gotoh bridge for the new EVH branded one, with D-tuna of course!
    -Body style would stay the same - no contours for me!
    -Probably would stick with Ed's original holy grail pickups, although the new EVH Wolf ones are smoking as well. Possibly use a push/pull volume pot to split the coils to increase the tonal options.

Yeah ^^^, that'll work!!!
    -

23. The Following Member Likes This Post: