Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Atomic Punk
    Join Date
    01.29.02
    Age
    49
    Location
    somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    22,957
    Last Online

    05.16.18 @ 11:48 AM
    Likes
    864
    Liked 1,240 Times in 454 Posts

    Default Mom facing charges after allowing 4-year-old to play outside alone

    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.Ē -- Gen. George S. Patton

  2. #2
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    44
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    35,776
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    05.23.18 @ 07:36 PM
    Likes
    1,535
    Liked 7,709 Times in 4,322 Posts

    Default

    She should face charges for naming her son tomahawk

    Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk


  3. #3
    Gird your loins Daisy Hill's Avatar
    Join Date
    04.17.08
    Age
    57
    Location
    Goose Poop, Ohio
    Posts
    13,811
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Panama
    Last Online

    05.23.18 @ 04:56 PM
    Likes
    2,092
    Liked 2,500 Times in 1,558 Posts

    Default

    helicopter parenting vs "free range" parenting............there has to be a middle ground. But what is the middle ground?

    In this day and age I would not allow a child that young to play alone in a public playground, and frankly in the 60's no 4 year old would have been allowed to play alone in a public park in my small town. But that said, what ever happened to neighbors being neighbors? Why do the police have to be called?

    the neighbor probably thought that if she said something to the mother it would create a big stink...which it probably would have

    no win situation here

  4. #4
    Emperor of VHLinks.com Brett's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.02.99
    Age
    47
    Location
    Somewhere Near LA
    Posts
    69,707
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained
    Last Online

    05.23.18 @ 10:25 PM
    Likes
    1,434
    Liked 12,743 Times in 5,456 Posts

    Default

    I thought the bigger crime was naming a child Tomahawk. Trailer trash.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

    JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

  5. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  6. #5
    ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Join Date
    10.08.06
    Posts
    32,542
    Last Online

    05.23.18 @ 08:21 PM
    Likes
    2,119
    Liked 7,950 Times in 4,279 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    The maximum sentence that Hendron can face is 6 months in jail with 3 years of probation. She was offered an alternative deal of just 30 days in jail and 1 year of probation but she has rejected the offer.
    Cool. Of course the answer is to take the Mom away from the boy.

    F'ing busy body neighbors in "gated" communities.

  7. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  8. #6
    Baluchitherium Ted Van Halen's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.07.04
    Age
    49
    Location
    All up in there
    Posts
    4,789
    Favorite VH Album

    Pirates of the Carribean
    Favorite VH Song

    How Many Say Aye?
    Last Online

    05.23.18 @ 05:18 PM
    Likes
    2,696
    Liked 2,011 Times in 1,058 Posts


    Premium Member

    Donor

    Default Mom facing charges after allowing 4-year-old to play outside alone

    I'd risk the stink with the mom personally if I was that concerned. I know if my neighbors called the police every time my kids were 120 feet away from me at 4 there would be a police substation in my garage and a paper mill for printing citations next door. Good grief. I'd be willing to bet that Tomahawk(!) probably has more sense than the neighbor, the police and certainly more than the idiot who actually charged the mom with a felony.
    -TVH-


    If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -Thomas Paine


    What is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? - James Madison


    Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the Government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian. - Henry Ford

  9. #7
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.03
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    14,892
    Last Online

    05.23.18 @ 09:33 PM
    Likes
    1,002
    Liked 3,583 Times in 2,103 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Here is a WaPo article that looks at an Austin, TX, mother who was investigated for neglectwhen here 6-yr old lagged behind while walking the dog, a Port St. Lucie, FL, mom who was arrested for letting her 7-yr old walk alone to and from a park to play, an August, SC, mom who was arrested for letting her 9-yr old play alone at a park, a Maryland couple investigated by CPS and whose children were detained for 5 hours for walking home from a park alone, and a Florida mom arrested for letting her son go to the park alone with a cell phone.

    In Maine, a child was I picked up by police (You Tube a-xbZv_Nj5) when the 7-yr old was playing at a park within eyesight of her house, was told to check in once an hour, and other parents are usually there taking turns watching all the kids.

    In British Columbia, a Supreme Court judge upheld that a child under 10 cannot be left at home alone.

    Even if a happy medium can be found, it seems as if the law wants to enforce helicopter parenting.

  10. #8
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    44
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    35,776
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    05.23.18 @ 07:36 PM
    Likes
    1,535
    Liked 7,709 Times in 4,322 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    Here is a WaPo article that looks at an Austin, TX, mother who was investigated for neglectwhen here 6-yr old lagged behind while walking the dog, a Port St. Lucie, FL, mom who was arrested for letting her 7-yr old walk alone to and from a park to play, an August, SC, mom who was arrested for letting her 9-yr old play alone at a park, a Maryland couple investigated by CPS and whose children were detained for 5 hours for walking home from a park alone, and a Florida mom arrested for letting her son go to the park alone with a cell phone.

    In Maine, a child was I picked up by police (You Tube a-xbZv_Nj5) when the 7-yr old was playing at a park within eyesight of her house, was told to check in once an hour, and other parents are usually there taking turns watching all the kids.

    In British Columbia, a Supreme Court judge upheld that a child under 10 cannot be left at home alone.

    Even if a happy medium can be found, it seems as if the law wants to enforce helicopter parenting.

    I think the law wants to come down on absentee parents. As it should. Typically a police officer has enough judgement to appreciate the difference between "I walked across the street to talk to a neighbour and left my 8 year old home alone" and "I flew to Vegas for the weekened and left my 8 year old home alone"

  11. #9
    Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    06.05.03
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    14,892
    Last Online

    05.23.18 @ 09:33 PM
    Likes
    1,002
    Liked 3,583 Times in 2,103 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    I think the law wants to come down on absentee parents. As it should. Typically a police officer has enough judgement to appreciate the difference between "I walked across the street to talk to a neighbour and left my 8 year old home alone" and "I flew to Vegas for the weekened and left my 8 year old home alone"
    I agree with you, but there are lots of cases, some here, where people didn't use common sense. Even in the BC story, the child was alone for 2 hours after school; the 4-yr old was in day care. It's possible that the 8-yr old was raised well enough and is smart enough to be home alone for 2 hours. The only evidence in the case is the opinion of the social worker.

    I think if your child can bike to school and be supervised by other adults, your child can probably walk to a park within sight of your home on a Saturday and be supervised by known, collective adults without your child being taken away or being arrested.

    Like you said, judgement. Unfortunately, sometimes there isn't any.

  12. #10
    Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Join Date
    01.05.12
    Age
    43
    Location
    6300 feet above sea level
    Posts
    12,313
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm The One
    Last Online

    05.23.18 @ 09:02 PM
    Likes
    19,135
    Liked 12,047 Times in 6,377 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    I agree with you, but there are lots of cases, some here, where people didn't use common sense. Even in the BC story, the child was alone for 2 hours after school; the 4-yr old was in day care. It's possible that the 8-yr old was raised well enough and is smart enough to be home alone for 2 hours. The only evidence in the case is the opinion of the social worker.

    I think if your child can bike to school and be supervised by other adults, your child can probably walk to a park within sight of your home on a Saturday and be supervised by known, collective adults without your child being taken away or being arrested.

    Like you said, judgement. Unfortunately, sometimes there isn't any.
    This is getting out of hand. I rode my bike to school about a mile and a half each way when I was in third grade and no one batted an eye. Plenty of other kids did too.

    I used to play in the front yard with my friend who lived next door when I was 5 or 6 and neither of our parents were outside watching us. My mom was in the house and I'm assuming his was too and if we needed anything, we simply went inside.

    Around 8 or 9 my mom started giving me the option of staying home or going with her to the grocery store. We're not talking about 4 or 5 hours, but she would be gone for an hour or an hour and a half sometimes.

    By the time I was 12 I was getting myself ready and off to school because my parents got divorced and my dad left for work at 5 in the morning. Oh, and he usually didn't get home until 5:30 or 6 so I had a good 2 and a half to three hours by myself in the afternoon.

    So by these standards I guess my parents should have been arrested and I should have been raised in a foster home.

    It pisses me off as a parent of a 4 and 2 year old that I now have to worry about some asshole calling the authorities on me if I choose to raise my kids to be independent and responsible for themselves. I'm not talking about now of course, but in a couple years I fully expect that my 4 year old will begin to want some independence and responsibility for himself much like I had at that age.

    And then we wonder why young adults act like children and need "safe zones" on college campuses...
    Last edited by Get The Show On The Road; 12.02.15 at 11:27 AM.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

  13. #11
    Forum Frontman It's Mike's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.26.06
    Age
    44
    Location
    Vaughan, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    35,776
    Favorite VH Album

    like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

    05.23.18 @ 07:36 PM
    Likes
    1,535
    Liked 7,709 Times in 4,322 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    I agree with you, but there are lots of cases, some here, where people didn't use common sense. Even in the BC story, the child was alone for 2 hours after school; the 4-yr old was in day care. It's possible that the 8-yr old was raised well enough and is smart enough to be home alone for 2 hours. The only evidence in the case is the opinion of the social worker.

    I think if your child can bike to school and be supervised by other adults, your child can probably walk to a park within sight of your home on a Saturday and be supervised by known, collective adults without your child being taken away or being arrested.

    Like you said, judgement. Unfortunately, sometimes there isn't any.
    you're completely right. I think that's the issue, it's not the law so much, the law is there to protect kids against horrendous parents and 99.9% of the time it works well. Sometimes cops lack in judgment and charge people who shouldn't be and I'd hope the courts would be able to catch those odd errors. Unfortunately they don't always do so. My street is usually littered with a buchn of 4-10 year olds. Usually there's a parent(s) around. Every so often there isn't. The cops shouldn't be alerted. Kids need to be outside alone sometimes.

    In the case of the 8 year old at home alone after school, if it's a one time deal i'd like to think there wouldn't be a charge but if this was planned for throughout the school year, well that's just bad parenting. I have an 8 year old. He's a pretty mature 8 year old. If I told my wife that I wanted him to go home alone every day after school and watch himself until we got home she'd shut me down before the words came out of my mouth.

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07.09.15, 01:52 PM
  2. My 13 year old kid wants to play the bass with me drumming.
    By Things Change in forum Guitar Room
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07.07.15, 12:05 PM
  3. Rapper Arrested and Facing Terrorism Charges For Rap
    By rocknblues81 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05.04.13, 04:16 PM
  4. 8-Year-Old Guitar Wiz Has Reason to Play the Blues
    By sixstring in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Music Only)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03.24.09, 12:53 PM
  5. Nine-Year-Olds Face Marijuana Charges
    By CATMAN3 in forum VH Fans Meeting Place (Non-Music)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12.12.02, 08:18 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •