Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

Default Import Wolfgang pickup specs?

I have an EVH Striped series, and I find the pickup a little hard and sterile sounding. Does anyone know the spec (magnet type, wire, etc) on the import Wolfgang pup? Searching around various forums brings up lots of inconsistent info, including that the import is a different spec than the USA version. To my ear, it almost sounds like a ceramic magnet, whereas I generally prefer an A2.

Given the odd shape of the pickup legs and the rout in the guitar, I'd consider attempting a magnet swap if I thought it would help...
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Anyone?
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Whoa, this is heavy! Jedi McFly's Avatar
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:44 PM
    Liked 2,858 Times in 1,069 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I don't know the exact specs, but IIRC earlier MIM EVH Guitars had the USA made pickups. The import pickups are now built overseas based loosely on the same design, but they sound a bit different. In the comparisons I've done and heard the USA pickups are generally brighter and more articulate.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I & Balance
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One & Feelin'
    Last Online

11.10.17 @ 05:45 AM
    Liked 267 Times in 150 Posts

I don't know about the exact specs either. There is a difference in tone though. The pickup in my yellow stripe doesn't sound quite as good as my US Stealth and MIJ Special. "Hard and sterile sounding" is probably a good way to describe it. I received my MIM Striped Wolf last May, and did a before/after video after I changed the pickup to the US Wolf pickup. It was night and day difference. The US was significantly brighter sounding than the overseas one. It really sounded like shit. HOWEVER, I'm actually considering pulling my video down. I'm really leaning at this point that I just had a defective or bad pickup from the factory. I can't imagine all overseas Wolf pickups sound as bad as mine did. I'm a member of a bunch of different VH Facebook groups too. I highly doubt I'm one of the few out there with a US Wolf and a MIM Wolf to compare them. If the difference between the two pickups was as bad as mine, I think we'd all be reading about it by now, hence why I think I might pull my vid under the pretense that my pickup was just f'd up. Back to your point Charvel, if you think you're hearing a difference, you probably are. Maybe just swap the whole pickup for a different one? Just a suggestion... I picked up my US-made Wolf pickup on eBay pretty cheap and it was brand new.

5. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 04:53 PM
    Liked 6,971 Times in 5,007 Posts

Premium Member

I remember that video of your. Before you pull it, maybe post it again in this thread?
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I & Balance
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One & Feelin'
    Last Online

11.10.17 @ 05:45 AM
    Liked 267 Times in 150 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    I remember that video of your. Before you pull it, maybe post it again in this thread?
    I'll post them again, but I again want to throw out the disclaimer that I almost had to have had a defective pickup. I'm still likely going to pull both of these.

There are quick links in the description if you watch it on youtube so you can quickly jump between guitars/pickups on both videos.

This is my US Stealth against my MIM Special before I changed the pickup:

This is the before/after of the Special with the new pickup:
    I think you can hear the differences the best when comparing the main riff of Can't Get This Stuff.

Last edited by Stealth5150; 12.05.15 at 11:30 AM.

9. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

I need to listen to those videos on proper speakers, but thanks for putting them up - but those don't sound like a faulty pickup, at least from what I can hear through my Macbook's speakers.

I should clarify - I don't think the pup in my Striped Series sounds bad, per se. It's just not my kind of tone. I love the Frankenstein humbucker I have in my Charvel So Cal, for example - it's an aged A2 - and the Wolfgang pup really compares poorly to that. The reason I'm thinkingof swapping the magnet rather than the whole pickup (I have a Duncan Custom Custom going spare that would fit the bill) is the odd shaped legs. I don't want to start grinding at a pup with a Dremel to get it to fit.