Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Eruption
    Last Online

11.28.17 @ 10:33 PM
    Liked 266 Times in 142 Posts

Premium Member

Default Can anyone here really nail the noodling part in the Dirty Movies intro?

I can't find anyone on Youtube who does it (correctly). What the hell is he doing before the slide melody comes in? It sounds like some kind of left hand hammer ons and pull offs while running a slide on his right hand up and down. But I just can't figure it out. I'd like to play this with my band, but really want to get the intro down before the slide melody.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VHII
    Favorite VH Song

Light up the Sky
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:01 PM
    Liked 192 Times in 97 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
    I can't find anyone on Youtube who does it (correctly). What the hell is he doing before the slide melody comes in? It sounds like some kind of left hand hammer ons and pull offs while running a slide on his right hand up and down. But I just can't figure it out. I'd like to play this with my band, but really want to get the intro down before the slide melody.
    I play it by holding an " A" bar chord 5th fret to "G" bar chord 3rd fret, while I use my right hand (4 fingers) hammering notes the 17th and 15th position (an octave up) on the neck. Hard to explain, I'll have to post a vid to show exact.

Good luck!
    ~ I like the way the line runs up the back of her stockings ~

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

09.15.17 @ 08:03 AM
    Liked 1,395 Times in 441 Posts

I've always felt that he was using three or four fingers of his right hand to tap out a random descending pattern that moves into a random ascending pattern over the top four strings. They sound like very fast triplets to me: "da-da-da da-da-da da-da-da da-da-da" going down.

I assumed that he executed that as you'd tap your fingers on the desk in a rolling pattern from left to right. So, I think he's very quickly going ring-middle-first -- the finger tapping pattern on the right hand. That said, it is in fact random, and meant to be random, so I never did actually try to learn all of the individual notes.

Keep in mind there are three independent things going on in the intro -- the bass harmonics, the random tapping, and the random sliding. The random sliding I can see trying to nail down more accurately if it were possible because those are pretty clear tones. I know for sure that he is using the slide just above the bridge at times to get those very high chirpy sounds from actually tapping the slide maybe an inch or two in front of the bridge.

All in all though -- I learned this song in and out from top to bottom, all guitar tracks as note for note as I could get them, and then came up with my own arrangement if you will on which part of multiple guitar parts to go with to make it sound like the song as much as possible.

It's kind of funny, but most songs on FW would be best presented by a two-guitar band for sure. Otherwise, you'd have to what I do and pick and choose which lines to play over different parts of a song, which is an inexact science to say the least.

KBD3
    Last edited by Kevin Dodds; 12.02.15 at 12:54 PM.

5. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by ScottyBHarris View Post
    I play it by holding an " A" bar chord 5th fret to "G" bar chord 3rd fret, while I use my right hand (4 fingers) hammering notes the 17th and 15th position (an octave up) on the neck. Hard to explain, I'll have to post a vid to show exact.

Good luck!
    Sounds exactly like you came up with a workable arrangement yourself. I agree that all of that tapping takes place in the vicinity of the 15th fret, and maybe 4-5 frets up or down, either way.

KBD3

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 12:18 AM
    Liked 6,971 Times in 5,007 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Dodds View Post
    I've always felt that he was using three or four fingers of his right hand to tap out a random descending pattern that moves into a random ascending pattern over the top four strings. They sound like very fast triplets to me: "da-da-da da-da-da da-da-da da-da-da" going down.

I assumed that he executed that as you'd tap your fingers on the desk in a rolling pattern from left to right. So, I think he's very quickly going ring-middle-first -- the finger tapping pattern on the right hand. That said, it is in fact random, and meant to be random, so I never did actually try to learn all of the individual notes.

Keep in mind there are three independent things going on in the intro -- the bass harmonics, the random tapping, and the random sliding. The random sliding I can see trying to nail down more accurately if it were possible because those are pretty clear tones. I know for sure that he is using the slide just above the bridge at times to get those very high chirpy sounds from actually tapping the slide maybe an inch or two in front of the bridge.

All in all though -- I learned this song in and out from top to bottom, all guitar tracks as note for note as I could get them, and then came up with my own arrangement if you will on which part of multiple guitar parts to go with to make it sound like the song as much as possible.

It's kind of funny, but most songs on FW would be best presented by a two-guitar band for sure. Otherwise, you'd have to what I do and pick and choose which lines to play over different parts of a song, which is an inexact science to say the least.

KBD3
    Great description of what you think is going on there! I can picture doing the same movements on the same part of the neck.
    Maybe someone should try to highlight certain videos from this summer's tour, to see how Eddie himself tried to approximate the Dirty Movies intro...
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

All
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 05:19 PM
    Liked 57 Times in 28 Posts

If I remember correctly I think Ed just did squeaky pick slides up and down the neck until he started playing the slide part, without a slide, on this last tour. I'd need to double check that though.

Ben

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

the one Ed plays guitar on
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 08:08 PM
    Liked 784 Times in 422 Posts

After perusing YT for the last half-hour or so, these about the two best versions I found, highlighting the techniques Ed "thinks" he used from 30+ years ago. While neither version may be EXACTLY "as recorded", they'll certainly get you close:

...and damn it, now you've got me wanting to go downstairs and work this up tonight, too...

13. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by hubs View Post
    After perusing YT for the last half-hour or so, these about the two best versions I found, highlighting the techniques Ed "thinks" he used from 30+ years ago. While neither version may be EXACTLY "as recorded", they'll certainly get you close:

...and damn it, now you've got me wanting to go downstairs and work this up tonight, too...
    Right on!
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Eruption
    Last Online

Premium Member

Ok, thanks. This stuff is a good starting point. My VH tribute has a gig this Sat, so I'm busying practicing for that, but will tackle this next week.

Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:14 PM
    Liked 2,284 Times in 1,172 Posts

I don't think it matters that much what you do in that particular section...

As a listener, I've always thought the bass riff and the great continuous drum groove were the main focus, and the guitar effects were only a bonus layer on top of that cool foundation...

Plus, it's a very high-pitched ATONAL overall sound effect, so TONALLY the bass is really the star of the show... A little point for the bass player to take center stage and groove out...

17. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

Those two live clips are real blessings. I don't know how much better you can get than to see how the man himself does it live in concert. I think both clips taken together give you a great idea for how he executed those parts and probably how best to execute them on one guitar.

You can see that he is definitely using a slide basically right over the pickups to get those "baby talk" up and down things (for lack of a better term clearly). The funny thing though is that live he ditches the slide for the actual slide part! He plays the slide melody just using bends because there'd be no way to bail on the slide before the main riff kicks in.

And man I am one forgetful dude, but here's a video of me playing an abbreviated version of the song with another weird take on the intro to mimic the recording a little. I posted this just three months ago -- just before the concert in Austin I guess. I remembered that I posted an abbreviated version but couldn't recall if I included the intro or not -- so I took a look, and yeah, this was may take on the intro just a few months ago. It's not scientific and is definitely somewhat random.

KBD3

19. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by noise next door View Post

As a listener, I've always thought the bass riff and the great continuous drum groove were the main focus, and the guitar effects were only a bonus layer on top of that cool foundation...

Plus, it's a very high-pitched ATONAL overall sound effect, so TONALLY the bass is really the star of the show... A little point for the bass player to take center stage and groove out...
    Admit it - you're jape! LOL. Haha.

Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:14 PM
    Liked 2,284 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    Admit it - you're jape! LOL. Haha.
    Dude, I live in Toronto

Eruption
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by noise next door View Post
    That's not how I roll with tribute act stuff. I want to get it as close as possible. Not everyone in the crowd saw the last VH tour and knows how Ed's playing it these days. I strive to get every single trick and lick perfect. This Sat. we're doing Light Up the Sky, Atomic Punk, I'm the One and plenty of others that are chock full of his old tricks. I want it perfect. Dirty Movies WILL be in the setlist for the next gig after this one.

23. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 09:31 PM
    Liked 18,131 Times in 8,955 Posts

Do you play in a tribute band?

Just curious. My cover band, we just go by the chord lead sheets, and kind of make it our own. We follow the chord progressions and vocal melody, but outside of that, we make up our own parts.

If I may be honest with myself, I prefer how my band does it (for me!), because some bass parts are just too difficult for me to sing and play bass at the same time. Allowing me to make my own bass lines and simplify where needed during the more difficult vocal passages allows me to play songs that I can't play note for note.

And let's be honest, no one in the audience pays any attention to the bass parts, unless the person is a bass player.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!