Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 11:38 PM
    Liked 16,482 Times in 9,340 Posts

Default The Great Divide of 1985

With whom did you side when David Lee Roth parted ways with Van Halen in 1985? Also, did the albums they each released in 1986 (Eat 'Em And Smile and 5150) support your allegiance after the split?

I sided with Van Halen because DLR quit the band at the very height of their popularity. I thought it was a foolish decision brought on by Dave's ego and hubris. I remember thinking 5150 was a superior album to Eat 'Em And Smile. Also, Eddie has always been my favorite member of the band. He's been my musical hero ever since the first VH record.

Nearly 30 years later, I still think 5150 is the better album, but I also really like Eat 'Em And Smile. IMO, these are the two best albums from the Sammy era and solo Dave. After all of the mudslinging between VH and DLR from that time period, it's pretty amazing that they actually reunited (Dave, Ed and Al, at least) in 2007 and managed to record a studio album and tour together 3 times in the past 8 years.

Try and keep your comments civil and on topic.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

FAIR WARNING
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies & Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 5,127 Times in 2,425 Posts

I sided with both ;-)

I went to both 1986 shows (although wore a custom shirt to VH show taking issue w SH).

I never had this one or that one with the 2 bands. Liked the first 3 albums from each.

4. The Following 6 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:47 AM
    Liked 8,706 Times in 4,703 Posts

Premium Member

I went with VH because of Al and Ed, but I loved the EEAS album too. I was disappointed in some of the tracks on 5150, but I also thought Vai and Bissonnette were no match for the Brothers as well.

I hated the mudslinging, and always thought Sam never should've gotten in the middle of it.

After years of disappointment, 2007 finally saw the right man in the middle of the VH stage return. It would've been amazing to see the original four together again, but seeing the real growth in Wolf as a great musician and singer, and his appreciation for deep cuts, has been a real treat to see.

6. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Sam probably should have stayed out of the mudslinging, but I blame Ed and Al for that. I really hated that part of the "Van Halen Unleashed" special on MTV back in 1986. The brothers were obviously very hurt and bitter that Dave left the band, but they should have just taken the high road. Easier said than done ...
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

8. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by thismusicsux View Post
    I sided with both ;-)

I went to both 1986 shows (although wore a custom shirt to VH show taking issue w SH).

I never had this one or that one with the 2 bands. Liked the first 3 albums from each.
    Yep, I loved Dave's first three solo albums. After that, I've never actually listened to any of his album whole, save for the few songs that got radio play like She's My Machine or Slam Dunk. Maybe someday I will give them a try. But his first three solo discs are all good albums.

10. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post
    Yep, I loved Dave's first three solo albums. After that, I've never actually listened to any of his album whole, save for the few songs that got radio play like She's My Machine or Slam Dunk. Maybe someday I will give them a try. But his first three solo discs are all good albums.
    "She's My Machine" rocks ...

12. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:41 AM
    Liked 11,719 Times in 6,493 Posts

Premium Member

I didn't side with either of them. I was looking forward to both albums even though I was bummed they broke up. For me, hands down EEAS was the winner. 5150 didn't do anything for me and the anti Dave campaign was bizarre. I saw both tours and was disappointed with VH.

Van Hagar just never connected with me.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

14. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:21 AM
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts

Premium Member

I liked them both, although Van Halen had a more powerful influence on me.
    Also, Van Halen had a longer and more lucrative career, whereas Roth's solo stuff fizzled out after the first 2 or 3 records.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

I just stumbled across this on YouTube ...

17. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

12.08.17 @ 09:45 AM
    Liked 7,610 Times in 3,989 Posts

I just remember not really liking either record.

I loved Vai, so i did have high hopes for the Dave solo record, yet it sounded
    kinda goofy to me (Yankee Rose, Goin' Crazy).
    It lacked that edge that old VH had in spades.
    I did love "Big Trouble," though.
    Always thought that was such a well crafted tune.
    I also really liked, Ladies nite.

Skyscraper was even more commercial, but i still bought it.

After that, i had no interest in Dave's solo career.
    Was intrigued by Becker joining, but did not like the actual material on it.

5150 just pissed me off, at that time.
    Eddie seemed defiant & uncaring when it came to the old fan-base.
    He had comments like, "Well, we may lose some old fans, but we're getting plenty of
    new one's."
    He constantly dissed the Dave era, it seemed.
    Just little snarky comments, which i guess is understandable after you break up
    with your singer from that period.

I thought WCTBL. LWI & Dreams were VH-lite, i had no use for these songs.

Today, though, i view that album (5150) as far superior to EE&S.
    Eddie just has a gift for writing catchy & clever song's, well crafted song's,
    that Roth & even Vai do not.

5150, Summer Nights, BOBW, even Dreams & LWI....
    They are extremely well written pieces of music.

Shyboy, despite the stellar chops display, is a horrendous piece of music.

So....

I was let down by both at the time.
    CVH raised the bar extremely high.

19. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,296 Times in 3,167 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Sided with Van Halen. I thought what Dave did was low but as I got older I saw that it probably wasn't all his idea. I imagine Ted was telling Dave that he was the band and blah blah blah. I doubt Dave made a decision that big by himself.

Plus, Sam brought a new dimension to the band. He pushed Ed to do new things. I don't care what anyone says, dreams is a bad ass song. In all facets of sonic dimensions.

They made that album not caring what people though but they knew it was good. And that came through in the final product.

Sent from my iPhone using swagger

21. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 12:21 AM
    Liked 6,969 Times in 5,005 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by fuddman5150 View Post
    Sided with Van Halen. I thought what Dave did was low but as I got older I saw that it probably wasn't all his idea. I imagine Ted was telling Dave that he was the band and blah blah blah. I doubt Dave made a decision that big by himself.

Plus, Sam brought a new dimension to the band. He pushed Ed to do new things. I don't care what anyone says, dreams is a bad ass song. In all facets of sonic dimensions.

They made that album not caring what people though but they knew it was good. And that came through in the final product.

Sent from my iPhone using swagger
    Very well said!
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    I didn't side with either of them. I was looking forward to both albums even though I was bummed they broke up. For me, hands down EEAS was the winner. 5150 didn't do anything for me and the anti Dave campaign was bizarre. I saw both tours and was disappointed with VH.

Van Hagar just never connected with me.
    There was definitely a drop off in intensity in the live show for VH. I'm sorry if that offends some, it's just my opinion. Just watching Al from a drumming perspective, he was never really the same Animal-like mad man behind the kit during the Hagar years, both visually and as far as the notes he played. Of course, a lot of that had to do with certain types of songs they started playing more of in the later years.

It would have happened with or without the split, as age and sobering up obviously played big factors with all of them, which was just a natural progression. But, as these last few years have shown, certain types of songs lend to a more fiery performance from the brothers. Al may be 62, but comparing his playing on a typical night this tour, blows away his playing on LWAN from a technical perspective. He just isn't as visually exciting to the average fan because he needs to make sure he doesn't break something now lol.
    Last edited by JUNGLE DRUMMER; 11.28.15 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Al's age wrong

24. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Banned!
    Last Online

01.21.16 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 623 Times in 347 Posts

I sided with Van Halen. Dave came across as a pompous ass who thought he was bigger than Van Halen. When 5150 dropped, I cranked my cassette in my room and was blown away. I listened to it through my headphones twice that night and got chills on each song, especially on Why Can't This Be Love, Dreams, Summer Nights, Best of Both Worlds, and Love Walks In. For me, Van Halen was not only going to be alright, they were better than ever. I never looked back. When Eat 'em and Smile dropped, I went to my buddy's house and listened to his cassette with him. Neither of us was impressed with it, and I never listened to it again.
    Last edited by 1way2rock; 11.28.15 at 10:08 AM.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:40 AM
    Liked 1,126 Times in 617 Posts

I was undecided at the time. I felt, and still feel, that VH tried too hard to make it seem like life was hunky dory without Dave and also that Sammy was too eager to stir the pot and get involved in the animosity (he was the new guy - it wasn't his fight) but I was also aware that DLR quit because he felt he could do better without VH.

Album-wise it's no contest. Though 5150 didn't have the balls I wanted and Ed's guitar was over-processed, it had solid and original tunes. Dave, on the other hand, threw out a schizophrenic album that didn't know of it was hard rock or easy listening, with too many weak tracks - only Yankee Rose felt like an A-side; like a track that would make a top drawer rock album, and the inclusion of Tobacco Road and That's Life just reeked of 'we've ran out of songs!'.

However when I first heard the title track off A L'il Ain't Enough I thought VH were in trouble as this sounded like VH at their best. Just a shame the rest of the album suffered in terms of quality and identity just like EEAS.
    Last edited by BlofeldsCat; 11.28.15 at 10:18 AM.

27. The Following Member Likes This Post: