Register
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast
    Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Song

SGMAD
    Last Online

07.07.17 @ 04:23 PM
    Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

Default Was Dave Behind the Call to the Fire Marshall?

Someone posted a comment on Gregg Bissonette's facebook page suggesting that Dave called the Fire Marshall. When I first saw that post, I didn't think so, but thought about it a bit more, and think that the suggestion has some merit. This is purely speculation, but I would appreciate your opinions on this.

Apparently, Dave wasn't invited to participate in his former band's presentation of his music and his album. Ralph Saenz' recent post with the DLR pic seems to indicate that Dave showed up unannounced, yet would likely sing at least something. How many songs, we don't know. That's why Ralph said something to the effect of, "I guess I'm singing backup, lol!" Billy also tweeted about the surprise, which reinforces the notion that it was unplanned. I simply don't think Dave would've performed with that band, having not rehearsed. I don't think the band would necessarily have wanted to perform an entire show with Dave, having not rehearsed with him. Nor do I think Dave would've been willing to step aside for Ralph, who IMO sings classic Dave better than today Dave. Especially with the impersonation thing. Ralph, formerly of Atomic Punks, is a gifted vocalist. I think that Dave sees this as a threat in terms of vocal quality, comparatively speaking, and was afraid of being put in a negative light.

Someone had to have called the Fire Marshall. Why else would he/she have been there at 10PM on a weeknight, the night before a major American holiday? And forgive me if I don't know how fire stations operate, but I think that a Fire Marshall is more likely to work a daytime 9-5 job, probably an office job with inspections more likely to take place during the day, and not immediately before a planned event with everything set up and ready to go. Fire Marshalls are not known to walk a beat at night, looking for venues to shut down due to overcrowding. Someone with a motive called. Who would even THINK of calling a Fire Marshall? Perhaps someone with experience in emergency public service, such as a former paramedic. What an easy way to shut down the show without making it obvious that you were the one who did it.

What's also interesting is that aside from Ralph's DLR pic and Billy's initial tweet, they (the band) have been completely SILENT. I think that the YouTube videos of Dave walking out of the venue smiling, apologizing and referring to the show as "we" twice, clearly indicates that if there's going to be such a show, he intends to control it. This may not be something the band would want to sign off on, since their intent behind the show was to celebrate the music, and not necessarily Dave. Dave's intent would be to celebrate Dave. This could explain the band's silence. Vai, Sheehan and Bissonette are nowhere to be found in such a video.

I hope I'm wrong. Hopefully we'll hear more in the coming days. But IMO there is no way we'll see an EEAS reunion with Dave and the original band.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,293 Times in 3,166 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

I've Dave gets back with them for more than a one off he's out of Van Halen. I'd bet a Christmas goose on that.

Sent from my iPhone using swagger

3. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 05:49 PM
    Liked 1,935 Times in 784 Posts

Premium Member

I don't think Dave called the fire Marshall. Someone linked to the club most likely did.

Safety at concerts was highlighted in Feb 2003 at the Great White gig where pyro caught the club on fire. The club owners wound out paying $176M to the families that perished.

The shooting at Le Bataclan in Paris a week ago also highlighted the importance of safety/security at clubs.

In the end, the Show from last night was poorly managed from a capacity standpoint, especially since the gig was promoted nationally on the net.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Eruption
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:55 PM
    Liked 1,848 Times in 808 Posts

Venues that are repeat offenders, the Fire Marshall does keep an eye on. Keep in mind the Great White fire in Rhode Island, I can't speak for the rest of the country, but I will say in Boston and New England, the Fire Marshall and the rules with it, are very strict. You should see what you have to do just to get a piece of decor drape certified for use in a venue in Boston, it's nuts. Since there are many event in the convention and production events industry at night, the frequently do spot inspections.
    Not saying you're wrong about Dave calling, but it's not unusual for a fire Marshall to pop in when they get wind of something that draws a large crowd in a small venue, no city wants another Great White

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:59 PM
    Liked 1,025 Times in 500 Posts

Good post... It is entirely possible.

If Dave's contract with VH is indeed over, and they are parting ways, it would make sense for him to either get with these guys, or to be an outsider looking in on the second highlight of his career.

I would never have thought Dave would risk his place in VH by openly reconvening with these guys, but if he is not in the band anymore, he is free to do what he wants.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 09:10 AM
    Liked 1,603 Times in 740 Posts

Premium Member

Just because it wasn't announced that Dave was going to be there, doesn't mean he wasn't invited because clearly he was. I guess it was supposed to be a surprise for everyone...

This photo must of been right before Dave called the fire marshall...

If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

10. The Following 6 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

all 7
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL & The Full Bug
    Last Online

12.02.17 @ 07:48 AM
    Liked 1,978 Times in 892 Posts

According to JHale @ Roth Army Steve Vai talked Dave into it a while ago and Ralph Saenz was only there for back up in case Dave changed his mind at the last minute.
    " On a scale that ranges from deep dark depression to rip roaring fun ... most people idle between pissed off ...and not too pissed off " DLR 1997

" I am the danger ... I am the one who knocks " Walter White 2011

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 12:23 AM
    Liked 7,837 Times in 4,573 Posts

Premium Member

Dave ALWAYS has to have the biggest grin in the room. Bless him.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:43 PM
    Liked 1,036 Times in 521 Posts

The suggestion that Dave called the fire marshall is absolutely ludicrous.

15. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 03:58 PM
    Liked 171 Times in 102 Posts

Why does anything any of the band members-past and present do have to be twisted into something other than what it is?

17. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:00 AM
    Liked 1,861 Times in 730 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Railrunner130 View Post
    Why does anything any of the band members-past and present do have to be twisted into something other than what it is?
    Because a lot of this bands fans wear aluminum foil hats.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Last Online

12.10.17 @ 07:59 PM
    Liked 1,025 Times in 500 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CalFB View Post
    The suggestion that Dave called the fire marshall is absolutely ludicrous.
    It is, but it's a funny theory

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Song

SGMAD
    Last Online

07.07.17 @ 04:23 PM
    Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

Your comments that are contrary to the suggestion make sense, and have convinced me. I appreciate that, thanks.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

I'm the One
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,940 Times in 912 Posts

Premium Member

The venue is located on an extremely popular corner of Hollywood Blvd and Highland Ave and was the biggest event in the town, so the fire department was there threatening to shut them down long before they did so. And whoever called the fire marshal was doubtfully also monitoring capacity and giving the door staff orders to let excess people inside.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 08:03 PM
    Liked 11,541 Times in 4,916 Posts

Biggest event in town? This is LA dude, it was hardly the biggest event in town.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!