Thread: ADELE

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:09 PM
    Liked 11,785 Times in 6,531 Posts

Premium Member

Default ADELE

Pretty damn impressive in this era. I guess it's proof that people will buy it if it's good. To be fair, her music has cross-generational appeal and that could account for the physical sales. Still pretty damn impressive.

November 18, 2015

Adele's '25' Will Ship 3.6 Million Units in U.S., Could Top *NSYNC's Historic Sales Week

Adele is going for a milestone.

Sources reveal that Columbia Records will ship 3.6 million physical copies of the singer's new album 25 in the U.S., which would probably mark the largest number of new-release CDs shipped in the past decade. The last album to ship more than that would have been *NSYNC's No Strings Attached, which shipped 4.2 million units back in 2000.

As of Nov. 18, insiders tell Billboard that parent company Sony Music is projecting first-week CD sales of 1.5 million, while Apple digital sales are expected to be about 900,000. Overall downloads should come in at about 1 million units. Sources also suggest that preorders at iTunes will wind up at about 450,000, while Amazon’s pre-orders have already topped 100,000, for both CDs and MP3s.

Industry prognosticators add that the split between CD and digital downloads will probably be around 60/40, a shift from Adele's last album, the 11.2 million-selling21, where digital only accounted for 28 percent of sales.

If the digital and CD projections are hit, that means Adele would be selling about 2.5 million units in her debut week, which would make it the largest-selling album in a week in Nielsen SoundScan history, which began monitoring album sales in 1991. That record is currently held by *NSYNC’s No Strings Attached, which sold 2.415 million units back in the week ending March 26, 2000.

Adele's 'Hello' Leads Hot 100 for Third Week, Is Fastest Radio Songs No. 1 in 22 Years http://www.billboard.com/articles/co...st-radio-songs

At press time, nearly 28 hours from the album's Friday, Nov. 20, street date, it's still unclear if streaming sites will have the album. One service source says the album is not expected to arrive to streamers until the Wednesday after street date but could not say if that applied to all services or if one of the services was getting an exclusive.

In addition to the initial week-one projection of almost 2.5 million, sources add that Sony projects it will sell an additional 1 million CDs over the following three weeks. By Christmas, 25 could be at 4 million units total.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/ne...jections-nsync
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

2. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:34 PM
    Liked 6,982 Times in 5,015 Posts

Premium Member

We watched her on SNL last night. While still very good, I didn't feel like the new tunes (she played 2) locked in with me. Some of her older tunes are actually quite good for the genre of music.

Brent and Zack, from Shinedown, do a wonderful live acoustic cover of her song "Someone Like You" on Youtube.
    Brent does a long speech about Adele's 21 album, the album sales, and mass appeal. I've watched that video about fifty times!
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:09 PM
    Liked 11,785 Times in 6,531 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    We watched her on SNL last night. While still very good, I didn't feel like the new tunes (she played 2) locked in with me. Some of her older tunes are actually quite good for the genre of music.

Brent and Zack, from Shinedown, do a wonderful live acoustic cover of her song "Someone Like You" on Youtube.
    Brent does a long speech about Adele's 21 album, the album sales, and mass appeal. I've watched that video about fifty times!

Dude, not that it will be the same experience for you, but listen to them again. The second time around I was sold. Funny how that is with a lot of great music.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:34 PM
    Liked 6,982 Times in 5,015 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    Dude, not that it will be the same experience for you, but listen to them again. The second time around I was sold. Funny how that is with a lot of great music.
    Swear to God, I said the same thing last night! LOL.
    I told the wifey that I'd have to hear them again, and that there were even a few VH songs that I didn't love the first time I played them...
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 11:24 PM
    Liked 16,572 Times in 9,399 Posts

Adele has such a unique and amazing voice.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Song

"Dance The Night Away"
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:14 PM
    Liked 1,350 Times in 926 Posts

It would be interesting to see how they account for her sales. You would think her audience is comprised of the people we talk about all the time that doesn't buy albums - the downloaded, the streamers, the YouTube generation. I'm sure she has some older fans, but more than the classic groups that think it's not even worth it to make records anymore?

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:02 PM
    Liked 7,643 Times in 4,016 Posts

I've heard the entire 25 album repeatedly, since Friday.
    Not exactly by choice.

What struck me was how many ballads there were.
    The flow seems stuck, especially, on the last half of the album.

I thought, Hello, was a great introduction single, yet the rest of it seems kind
    of rote to me.

I'm not her target audience (maybe i am), but it's not really impressing me, despite
    her strong vocals.

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Soul Kitchen
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 12:19 AM
    Liked 1,085 Times in 727 Posts

Premium Member

I respect her because she's a great talent and doesn't need 85 dancers around her like some other of today's "Great artists".
    Last edited by Elwood P.; 11.22.15 at 12:26 PM.
    "I'm the opposite of Bill Cosby. Diamond Dave always gets your approval." (DLR)

"Kids, just say NO to marriage". (Al Bundy)

Rawhide in "A"

OAA

13. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:44 PM
    Liked 2,802 Times in 1,451 Posts

Just imagine how big her sales would have been in the 80s. Easily diamond status. She would be in MJ territory.

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Rumor has it that Adele dropped 30 lbs since her last album ...

"It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    Rumor has it that Adele dropped 30 lbs since her last album ...

My girl is really taken by this new Adele CD, but i'm not hearing great songs.

I'm hearing great vocal power, but not as many good songs as on 21.
    19 was actually my favorite by her (love "Chasing Pavements," whatever that means...)

Last Online

I swear, if Skit drags me to see Adele, i'm making her leave after "Hello."

18. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Eruption
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 12:25 PM
    Liked 913 Times in 484 Posts

A girl I know e-mailed me about how she was in love with this album. Then I walk past a local antique store, and they've got this displayed in the window, even though it's not an antique. I see it mentioned on Twitter a lot. Now there's a thread about it here. I've never listened to an Adele song in my life. Hmm...should I continue to hold out, or am I really missing something great?

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by ArtyBoy View Post
    A girl I know e-mailed me about how she was in love with this album. Then I walk past a local antique store, and they've got this displayed in the window, even though it's not an antique. I see it mentioned on Twitter a lot. Now there's a thread about it here. I've never listened to an Adele song in my life. Hmm...should I continue to hold out, or am I really missing something great?
    Have you never heard the theme from "Skyfall"?

Eruption
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 12:25 PM
    Liked 913 Times in 484 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    Have you never heard the theme from "Skyfall"?
    Nope! And I haven't pushed play! Am I missing out on something great, or am I about to get caught up in a passing trend?