Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:09 PM
    Liked 11,785 Times in 6,531 Posts

Premium Member

Default Student Pushing Free College Plan Confronted With Harsh Facts

Nov. 12, 2015

Keely Mullen, an organizer for the Million Student March movement, joined Fox Business Network anchor Neil Cavuto on the air Thursday to discuss the movement’s demands for free public college, student debt cancelation and a $15-an-hour minimum wage for student workers. In the awkward 9-minute interview, Cavuto repeatedly cited facts and figures that seemed to fluster the student.

When asked who would pick up the tab for the demands she listed, Mullen said, “The 1 percent of people who are hoarding the wealth and causing a catastrophe students are facing.”

“If the 1 percent just had their taxes raised a few years ago back to almost 40 percent then to pay for the healthcare law, they had them raised another few percentage points, then they had their deductions limited to raise another couple points — depending on the state or locality — they’re pushing over about 50 percent in taxes,” Cavuto told Mullen. “How much more do you think they should pay?”

Cavuto’s question, asked within the first two minutes of the interview, became the centerpiece of the entire discussion, as Mullen was unable to provide a clear answer

Mullen did say the rate should be raised to “enough until we have a system where not one in two families are threatened with poverty.” And when asked if she and her friends and family would pay more in taxes for her demands, she said “we already are.” However, according to Forbes, 45 percent of households pay no federal income taxes.

Cavuto asked Mullen where the money would come from should “these 1 percent hoarders” leave the country, and Mullen insisted there would always be wealthy people in the U.S. However, later in the interview, Cavuto told his guest that countries around the world, using Greece as an example, have run out of money because the top earners are fleeing.

.When Cavuto asked her if she think the 1 percent could actually fund all her demands, Mullen said, “Absolutely.” However, Cavuto claimed taxing the 1 percent at 100 percent wouldn’t even fund Medicare for three years — let alone all of her demands for free services.

“They’ve done studies on this, Keeley, I don’t want to get boring here, but even if you were to take the 1 percent and take all of their money — tax it 100 percent — do you know that couldn’t keep Medicare, just Medicare, in this country going for three years?” Cavuto asked. “Did you know that?”

“Yeah, I don’t believe that,” Mullen said in response. “Yeah, I’m sorry, that just sounds completely ludicrous to me.”

Toward the end of the interview, Cavuto told Mullen taxing the 1 percent on 100 percent of their income would only yield “about one trillion” toward any entitlement program.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2015...ute-interview/
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:11 PM
    Liked 10,895 Times in 5,736 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bklynboy68 View Post
    Nov. 12, 2015

Keely Mullen, an organizer for the Million Student March movement, joined Fox Business Network anchor Neil Cavuto on the air Thursday to discuss the movement’s demands for free public college, student debt cancelation and a $15-an-hour minimum wage for student workers. In the awkward 9-minute interview, Cavuto repeatedly cited facts and figures that seemed to fluster the student.

When asked who would pick up the tab for the demands she listed, Mullen said, “The 1 percent of people who are hoarding the wealth and causing a catastrophe students are facing.”

“If the 1 percent just had their taxes raised a few years ago back to almost 40 percent then to pay for the healthcare law, they had them raised another few percentage points, then they had their deductions limited to raise another couple points — depending on the state or locality — they’re pushing over about 50 percent in taxes,” Cavuto told Mullen. “How much more do you think they should pay?”

Cavuto’s question, asked within the first two minutes of the interview, became the centerpiece of the entire discussion, as Mullen was unable to provide a clear answer

Mullen did say the rate should be raised to “enough until we have a system where not one in two families are threatened with poverty.” And when asked if she and her friends and family would pay more in taxes for her demands, she said “we already are.” However, according to Forbes, 45 percent of households pay no federal income taxes.

Cavuto asked Mullen where the money would come from should “these 1 percent hoarders” leave the country, and Mullen insisted there would always be wealthy people in the U.S. However, later in the interview, Cavuto told his guest that countries around the world, using Greece as an example, have run out of money because the top earners are fleeing.

.When Cavuto asked her if she think the 1 percent could actually fund all her demands, Mullen said, “Absolutely.” However, Cavuto claimed taxing the 1 percent at 100 percent wouldn’t even fund Medicare for three years — let alone all of her demands for free services.

“They’ve done studies on this, Keeley, I don’t want to get boring here, but even if you were to take the 1 percent and take all of their money — tax it 100 percent — do you know that couldn’t keep Medicare, just Medicare, in this country going for three years?” Cavuto asked. “Did you know that?”

“Yeah, I don’t believe that,” Mullen said in response. “Yeah, I’m sorry, that just sounds completely ludicrous to me.”

Toward the end of the interview, Cavuto told Mullen taxing the 1 percent on 100 percent of their income would only yield “about one trillion” toward any entitlement program.

I was going to post that video. God that was embarrassing!

That exchange is proof positive that not everyone is college material.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

Atomic Punk
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 04:37 PM
    Liked 1,229 Times in 448 Posts

A whole generation raised on Social Media Memes...
    "Watch what people are cynical about, and one can often discover what they lack.” -- Gen. George S. Patton

4. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ ○ Number 47's Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:18 PM
    Liked 6,849 Times in 3,587 Posts

Premium Member

Nov. 12, 2015

Ha! This is the kind of discussion to have at the Thanksgiving dinner table young lady... not on a national news network.
    Last edited by Number 47; 11.13.15 at 05:21 AM.

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 12:47 AM
    Liked 8,789 Times in 4,758 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by voivod View Post
    A whole generation raised on Social Media Memes...
    A whole generation of lazy idiots raised on participation trophies who have no idea how to survive in the real world.

7. The Following 5 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:21 AM
    Liked 4,808 Times in 2,454 Posts

Premium Member

What a twat

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,353 Times in 3,193 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Nov. 12, 2015

Holy shit that bitch is ugly. She's got a beak like a horse. And to boot she's a fucking idiot.

It amazes me that people blame the 1%ers for the is not having any money. Bottom line, college students don't want to have to bust their asses and do hard work to get something in life. All they want to do is party and play goddamn candy crush.

Makes me sick. Self entitled fucking cunt.

Sent from my iPhone using swagger

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Number 47 View Post
    Ha! This is the kind of discussion to have at the Thanksgiving dinner table young lady... not on a national news network.
    Or her parent/s. But just a hunch, no one in that family has a Mensa grant. Gotta be a wealth of knowledge leaving that table.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 07:41 PM
    Liked 2,238 Times in 1,356 Posts

not defending her because that interview was as embarrassing as asking a Miss America contestant what she is going to do during her reign to improve the world

but I have long held the opinion that our education system has lagged behind what a modern economy needs it to accomplish

we need longer school years....think about it ...180 days a year to tackle what we want students to learn? Why do kids need the whole summer off? Even here in Goose Poop, few kids are needed to work the farms.

and the school day is too short. We are dropping things like physical education and penmanship in order to fit it all in and then having kids do 3 hours of home work taking away from the much needed family time.

we need to overhaul our system and allow our dedicated students to have more time to rack up more AP credits (nearly free college credits).
    and I am still a proponent of 2 free years community college..in fact I am not against REQUIRING attendance for 2 more years..to either learn a trade to take care of the routine required courses like composition, basic math and humanities. Let the universities handle the higher level courses.

this country would be a much better economy if graduating students all presented themselves in the work force with the kind of skills that employers want, and now have to train for.

12. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

@

Premium Member

Donor

Daisy, little background on me. I played football in hs, had a gpa of 3.98 and was stoned most of the time.

I was offered a scholarship to go play ball at Clemson or I had the option as a recipient of the woodruff scholarship to go to Emory. I went to Emory.

My family is well off. My mom is a retired federal judge and my dad was a ADA for the state of ga.

Point being, I busted my ass to get my grades like they were. Sure playing football helped but I still got 3 hours of sleep a night for 3 years to keep my grades up. Any kid could do what me and most of my friends did. It annoys me that people complain about education when they have a C- average and don't grasp the concept that if you want to go to college, get good grades. Especially if you want help going.

College is not a right, it's a privilege.

2 most important words in the English language are imagination and perseverance. Sadly, not many people know that those words intertwine into every facet of life.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:59 PM
    Liked 555 Times in 251 Posts

How do those other countries pay for it?
    Eat Us and Smile!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 08:21 AM
    Liked 4,808 Times in 2,454 Posts

Premium Member

Here is a little background on me.

I screwed around my first two years in high school until my dad said "you need to have a 3.0 to go to college" So last two years I ended up applying myself and think finished with a 3.75 average. My parents were not wealthy. Just middle class Americans who didn't use credit cards and paid everything in cash. They had saved money for me to go to school so I went without the need for loans. I partied and mostly didn't apply myself. Only cared about classes that interested me which wasn't enough and my GPA got me kicked out after 2 years. My dad said I could go back to another school after a semester but he would be on me like fly on shit. Until then I should go see a military recruiter since the Navy worked out for my brother.

I did and signed up about 10 days after the invasion of Kuwait. Best choice I made. I needed to grow up. I needed a wake up call. I needed somebody to kick my ass and community college or Ohio State wasn't going to do that

College isn't a right. It should be for those who truly want to excel and better themselves. Not just because its the next step in a young adults life. We have so many people who make terrible decisions because the expectation is there for their age. Whether its going off to college, getting married before you are 30, having kids, buying a house, etc.

Should one be able to go to college? Most certainly but I don't think its a god given right for every youth in America. It shouldn't be a participation award because you won't appreciate it

16. The Following 4 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Complete Zero
    Favorite VH Song

Lets Get Rockin
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:06 PM
    Liked 1,863 Times in 732 Posts

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy Hill View Post
    not defending her because that interview was as embarrassing as asking a Miss America contestant what she is going to do during her reign to improve the world

but I have long held the opinion that our education system has lagged behind what a modern economy needs it to accomplish

we need longer school years....think about it ...180 days a year to tackle what we want students to learn? Why do kids need the whole summer off? Even here in Goose Poop, few kids are needed to work the farms.

and the school day is too short. We are dropping things like physical education and penmanship in order to fit it all in and then having kids do 3 hours of home work taking away from the much needed family time.

we need to overhaul our system and allow our dedicated students to have more time to rack up more AP credits (nearly free college credits).
    and I am still a proponent of 2 free years community college..in fact I am not against REQUIRING attendance for 2 more years..to either learn a trade to take care of the routine required courses like composition, basic math and humanities. Let the universities handle the higher level courses.

this country would be a much better economy if graduating students all presented themselves in the work force with the kind of skills that employers want, and now have to train for.
    You would have to get teachers on board for full year school and I don't see that ever happening.
    I used to jog but the ice cubes kept falling out of my glass.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 11:38 PM
    Liked 3,117 Times in 1,828 Posts

Premium Member

I think a lot of teachers would do it, but I doubt the union would allow it. Of course, if we had school choice, this could be experimented with. Maybe a shorter year with longer days is better. Maybe a longer year with shorter days. Maybe year round school with multiple breaks is better.

Maybe some students are better in one environment than another instead of being put into 'cookie cutter' schools. Maybe we are doing a disservice by preparing kids to stay part of the status quo instead of moving up the social order. We won't know, because we're forced to send our kids to the closest school, not the one that might be best for them.

Anyway, I wonder, with all of these protests resulting in administrative changes, how much influence would students have if college were free? It's not like you could threaten to leave and take your tuition elsewhere.

Yale students recently made some demands of their administration, showing up to President Peter Salovey's home last night with a list:

$15 minimum wage for workers on campus
    Ethnic studies requirement
    Include a question about 'racial environment' in professor questionnaires
    Racial competence and respect training for Yale employees
    Build a monument by a Native American artist to acknowledge the college was built on stolen, indigenous land
    Rename Calhoun college and stop calling its CEO 'Master'
    Hiring mental health professionals to be stationed at all four cultural centers of the college
    Increase the budget of each center by $2 million
    5-full-time faculty at each cultural center
    Extra funds to help low-income, undocumented, and/or international students
    Per diem for food and access to certain parts of the school during breaks
    Add dental and optometry services to school insurance
    At least eight more financial aid consultants hired by the school

among other demands. I suppose 'make college free' is included as they are demanding that it get more expensive by demanding these things that, well, cost something.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 04:29 PM
    Liked 1,961 Times in 984 Posts

These kids want the government to help pay for college? They've got that! It's called the "G.I. Bill". Get off your ass, serve your country, grow up a little bit, and get some money for college.

But I'm guessing that isn't the answer today's youth want to hear. And as for the GI bill, if college was free, wouldn't that take away a big incentive for people to join the military in the first place?

Hey Good news! College is free! Bad news, you can't go there because nobody has joined the Army for the last ten years and we just got invaded by China. Good luck with the raping and pillaging.

20. The Following 3 Members Like This Post: