Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

09.15.17 @ 08:03 AM
    Liked 1,395 Times in 441 Posts

Default Frets...

Has anyone here ever successfully replaced a fret or frets?

I would like to replace the first five frets on a Fender neck I recently acquired. The neck is incredible and excellent -- it's just that those first five frets have really worn down from lots of play. They have divots.

I got an excellent deal on the Strat, so refretting it completely would completely sink my whole M.O. of buying as inexpensively as possible and taking care of the repairs and upgrades myself.

I assume there is a trick for successfully removing a fret. I would imagine putting the frets in would not be terribly difficult -- a tap with a mallet and some filing.

It's the removal that gives me the heebs. I have some crap necks I could practice on.

Let me know.

KBD3

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1,106 Times in 675 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Dodds View Post
    Has anyone here ever successfully replaced a fret or frets?

I would like to replace the first five frets on a Fender neck I recently acquired. The neck is incredible and excellent -- it's just that those first five frets have really worn down from lots of play. They have divots.

I got an excellent deal on the Strat, so refretting it completely would completely sink my whole M.O. of buying as inexpensively as possible and taking care of the repairs and upgrades myself.

I assume there is a trick for successfully removing a fret. I would imagine putting the frets in would not be terribly difficult -- a tap with a mallet and some filing.

It's the removal that gives me the heebs. I have some crap necks I could practice on.

Let me know.

KBD3
    Danny D bro Danny effing D
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

“A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government.”

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

I have always liked the buy cheap, set up and hot rod motto. But, some things are just best left to those at Ye Ol Guitar Hacienda
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

5. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:07 AM
    Liked 1,606 Times in 743 Posts

Premium Member

If the frets have divots in them, it might only need a fret dress and level. Have it checked out first before you start pulling frets out.
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

7. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:43 PM
    Liked 11,549 Times in 4,920 Posts

What Dutchie said.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Alex, Dave, Ed and Mike
    Favorite VH Song

The songs with Ed on them
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:27 PM
    Liked 18,115 Times in 8,948 Posts

Maybe I am being Captain Obvious with this, but here goes...there are plenty of videos on YouTube for repairing your frets, including how to fret dress and level.

And there are videos on how to replace them.

I didn't click on any of them, but maybe the information you need is in there.
    Taylor Swift is nice to look at. Adele can sing.

Emperor Brett - "I can't believe you guys are analyzing song-by-song Van Halen III? What next, analyzing the script of Stroker Ace looking for some shred of Citizen Kane?"

David Lee Roth did the impossible. He made Van Halen better. Deal with it!

Preferred pronouns: he/him/his

Hurricane Halen - Let's all gingery touch our sword tips!!!

DONATE TO THE LINKS YA CHEAP BASTARDS!!!!

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

Thanks guys. I'm interested on each and every front named.

I was actually down in Houston a few weeks ago and went to Danny's to say hello. I have no idea if you know this but my older brother used to work there in the mid 80s and I worked there giving lessons in the late 80s. I bought all of my first gear from Danny, and my band in high school actually played the grand re-opening of the store in 1988. I took my son in with me and he got to toy around on all of Danny's stuff -- the Blackstar amps! Whoa! I might be down there in a few weeks again and will give him a shout if I haven't gotten adventurous.

Dutchie & Brett: I have had frets milled before -- these are beyond that unfortunately.

Dave's: I have watched youtube videos and read step-by-steps as well. I was hoping someone here actually had experience removing a fret and if they could share anything about that physical experience that could help. After watching the videos and reading about it, it seems like there's just two tools that are necessary that I just don't have that I'm not going to acquire just to do this. I would try it on this guitar if I could, but I would never do it on any of my others so I've come to the "what's the point?" point.

I could take it somewhere here in Austin, but my experiences with that are it takes three times as long and costs ten times as much than to just do stuff myself. Frets must be where I draw the line though. I guess I've hit the wall!

KBD3

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Yes sir, you have told me mostof this back during the 2012 tour. I bought a Jeff Beck Signature Strat a few weeks ago. Something didn't feel right about the locking tuners. I took it to Danny and got it back the next day in the proper working order. Typical Fender QC. But Danny always goes beyond the call of duty.

14. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:38 AM
    Liked 612 Times in 387 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by evhintexas View Post
    But Danny always goes beyond the call of duty.
    Goddamn right he does! I just brought my Rockstah Marshall in and it is working better than ever...Danny's amp tech went over the whole thing and it sounds like it is supposed to now.

And hey Kev, Danny mentioned you said Hi...we'll bump into each other in Austin or in Houston one of these days!

16. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:46 PM
    Liked 6,970 Times in 5,006 Posts

Premium Member

What was your Rockstah amp doing or not doing, that needed it to be fixed?
    Just curious, because I thought you were elated with it before!
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

"Unchained"
    Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by garbeaj View Post
    Goddamn right he does! I just brought my Rockstah Marshall in and it is working better than ever...Danny's amp tech went over the whole thing and it sounds like it is supposed to now.

And hey Kev, Danny mentioned you said Hi...we'll bump into each other in Austin or in Houston one of these days!
    Cool, Allan. I brought him my ancient Korean Lotus guitar that I kind of restored lately -- I bought that guitar back in 1984 from Danny. I also showed him my Star replica. He demo'd the self-tuning Epiphone for Evan -- blew his mind. I am afraid that Danny caused Evan and I to fall in love with Blackstar practice amps. I am certain I will end up getting one of those from Dan.

KBD3

19. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push comes to shove
    Last Online

Premium Member

Donor

Black star ??? Really
    I never knew

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

I've heard those Black Star amps on an album, live in concert, and on YT clips. Never tried one though.
    They seem a lot like Ed's new 5150 III's with the hot rod super-duper Stealth overkill mod.

Not saying it's a bad thing, yet man, they're awfully buzzy!
    Maybe I'm over exaggerating a bit. Do they have different "lines", or are all their products geared towards a mid scooped death metal tone?
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 10:38 AM
    Liked 612 Times in 387 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RRvh1 View Post
    I've heard those Black Star amps on an album, live in concert, and on YT clips. Never tried one though.
    They seem a lot like Ed's new 5150 III's with the hot rod super-duper Stealth overkill mod.

Not saying it's a bad thing, yet man, they're awfully buzzy!
    Maybe I'm over exaggerating a bit. Do they have different "lines", or are all their products geared towards a mid scooped death metal tone?
    The small Blackstar amps are really cool...like any modern amp, they can be abused and made to sound super Nu-Metal crappy and overly mushy gainy terrible tone. But you can get some good distorted tones at low volume and when mic'ed properly you can use them in any live situation.

I think Blackstar amps give a boutique sound at a less than boutique price. I'm good on distortion sounds out of my Rockstah Marshall so I wouldn't have a need for a Blackstar or any other amp that has distorted tones on tap. If anything, I might get some clean amps to use effects in stereo, especially with my Eventide H9...

But I think that the smaller Blackstar amps are a great option for bedroom or stage. I think a lot of the crap tones you hear on YouTube with a lot of gear comes from people who plug in and turn everything up...they don't have experience with or don't care about dialing in a good tone from any amp.
    Last edited by garbeaj; 11.08.15 at 07:23 AM.

23. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by garbeaj View Post
    The small Blackstar amps are really cool...like any modern amp, they can be abused and made to sound super Nu-Metal crappy and overly mushy gainy terrible tone. But you can get some good distorted tones at low volume and when mic'ed properly you can use them in any live situation.

I think Blackstar amps give a boutique sound at a less than boutique price. I'm good on distortion sounds out of my Rockstah Marshall so I wouldn't have a need for a Blackstar or any other amp that has distorted tones on tap. If anything, I might get some clean amps to use effects in stereo, especially with my Eventide H9...

But I think that the smaller Blackstar amps are a great option for bedroom or stage. I think a lot of the crap tones you hear on YouTube with a lot of gear comes from people who plug in and turn everything up...they don't have experience with or don't care about dialing in a good tone from any amp.
    That's a very good point, garbeaj!
    A lot of players who demo gear seem to just max out all the gain controls etc. on their amps. I've heard it quite a bit on many of the 5150III demos, although not from any of the great players/enthusiasts on the site!

Maybe it comes from years of reading that Eddie "turned everything up to 10" on his fabled Marshall? I don't know, yet Ed's Plexi had a very different gain structure and tone compared to his newer amps. It's a bit grating to hear someone play the intro chords of DTNA, on the red channel with the gain jacked up high... For example. There's a reason why Ed mostly plays on the blue channel for chords and songs - it's less mushy & buzzy, although still a hot sound.

Just curious - do you have any interest in the new 5150/EL 34 type amp that Ed's got in development?