Last Online

Today @ 08:39 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!300,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

Quote Originally Posted by 1way2rock View Post
    Mikey sure sounds good on Act Like it Hurts.
    I've always loved that track, especially from the 1:47 mark to the end.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Banned!

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Panama
    Last Online

03.24.20 @ 08:57 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

Act Like it Hurts has a lot of great parts. Some very interesting riffage going on, and I dig a few of the ideas.

The bass "solo" stuff in the middle has always reminded me of sea-sickness though!

Top Of The World
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Today @ 08:12 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!25,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

TTWN I believe might be the "Hendrix Jam" Mikey referred to in the 90s. It was a working title for FUCK or Balance, I can't remember. He also said it sounded like "Are You Gonna Go My Way." Sound like TTWN to me.

Also, the breakdown in this song is similar to the bass part in "Peace of Mind." Not the same, but similar--just like the riff to HBSD is not the same as "Act Like It Hurts" (or whatever it's called--Jeff?) but sound a little like it.
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

Stats:
    BECAME PSYCHO FAN: 12/91
    VAN HALEN W/DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN W/SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN W/GARY: 5x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 9x
    DAVE SOLO: 14x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (W/MONTROSE 1x, @CABO WABO CANTINA 1x)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x

Take Your Whiskey Home

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

Today @ 06:46 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-Liked25,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by wrr20891 View Post
    Am I dreaming, or did I read one time that Dave wrote Stay Frosty?
    It's here, from Feb, 2013, along with a bunch of other thoughts about writing and remixes and song ideas so on:

I would certainly look forward to working with Ed on some new material, but we have yet to do that. Almost all of the music that you hear on our most recent album was written and demoed before the first album. And I would certainly look forward to writing a whole list of songs with Ed, but we haven't found the time to do that [laughs]. You hear the tone. I'm not sure what's in Ed's mind at this point. I'm gonna guess that his plans are to write with his son, and I'm not sure where that actually leads. But truth be told, Edward and I haven't written a new song in 20 years.

We were discussing some of the controversy involving our remix of the song "Jump," and he laughed and said, "You're kidding. Bob Dylan just picked up an electric guitar." You can't have neighborhoods like that here. There's no one particular neighborhood. I shared with Al Van Halen, who I speak with every morning here, "I understand there's some controversy following the remix idea," which indeed was Alex's. Alex had heard Elton John had taken his greatest hits and had it remixed and turned into "floor," I call it. [People] get confused between disco, house, trance and rave, so I call it floor.

I said to Al, "I heard of some fellows named White Noise out of San Francisco." I subscribe to Beatport, where all the DJs of the world do file sharing and look over each other's shoulders in 82 languages. And they did a smashing version of "Jump." This is not a new idea. I'm not gonna say I did this first. There are four different versions of "Jump" that are floor that are easily as good, if not better, but this one is the most modern. I spoke to Al earlier and I said, "We gotta license this so we can get it up on Beatport. We can put it on iTunes and reach that audience."

The brothers and I have a considerable amount of classic music training. When we write songs they almost demand revision and interpretation, as does any great material. I was always loving it when Aztec Camera would take a shot at something that we do or any of the aforementioned.

And in the interim I've written and recorded an entire album of material with a fellow named John 5. It's called Somewhere Over the Rainbow Bar & Grill, and it was designed as a jukebox musical after seeing what the South Park fellows did.

The "Jump" remix is part of an approach I wanted to take of, "What if we take a specific song and update it both in terms of time period and neighborhood, and you use that throughout the play?" The way "Jump" sounds originally is very different than the way it sounds on this latest version. You can turn it country, you can make it a very sad song. I was also thinking to take this material to one of our finer filmmakers and see if the whole package might be used. That being said, it's not heavy metal, and no, it's not dance music. It's R&B-based, a lot of B3 [organ] and a lot of girl-friendly . . . It's rock, but think early Rod Stewart, perhaps, arguably the best years, [or] "Tumbling Dice" if you're thinking in terms of classic. So who knows where that's gonna go.

But Ed has his own vision, I'm assuming. We haven't really been able to speak about it and it's a disappointment, just as not having a chance for a reunion of the original band. Clearly, vocals are every bit as much a component of success as a rhythm section or a guitar solo, and there's an old expression saying, "They don't go home singing the lighting show, they don't go home singing the production." You're right, they sing my words and my melodies. And what we have at our fingertips is arguably one of the greatest high tenor voices ever – that was in Michael Anthony. In our tiny little corner of the universe, that voice is as identifiable as the high voice in Earth, Wind & Fire, as identifiable as the high voice in the Beach Boys. Van Halen is an indelicate house blend of both – that's intentionally. So I would always look forward to that reunion, and I would always look forward to writing a whole variety of material.

And one of the tunes is called "The Shit That Killed Elvis." So yeah, it's pretty stellar material. Again, I've offered it up to the Van Halens, but I seriously doubt there are going to be any takers there. As I've said, we haven't written a new song since I left in 1984. Almost everything on that record [A Different Kind of Truth] is from before we recorded the first album or out or about somewhere in that time frame. Wait, what am I saying? "Stay Frosty" is brand new, and I wrote that whole song myself. I wrote the chord structure, played the guitar, the vocals, etc. Therein that was remanded to the back side – well, it's not a record anymore, side B, next to the last of whatever. It's an update, thinking symmetrically – "Ice Cream Man," "Stay Frosty," I get it [laughs].

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...0130212?page=2

5. What a Rocker 1973 thanked for this post.
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 02:59 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserVeteranWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!5,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
    It's here, from Feb, 2013, along with a bunch of other thoughts about writing and remixes and song ideas so on:
    Wait, what am I saying? "Stay Frosty" is brand new, and I wrote that whole song myself. I wrote the chord structure, played the guitar, the vocals, etc. Therein that was remanded to the back side – well, it's not a record anymore, side B, next to the last of whatever. It's an update, thinking symmetrically – "Ice Cream Man," "Stay Frosty," I get it [laughs].[/I]

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...0130212?page=2
    Thanks, I thought I had read that somewhere.
    His music career faded faster than an eight ball in front of Lindsay Lohan. - Dave's Dreidel

7. snowdog thanked for this post.
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

The Full Bug
    Last Online

06.30.20 @ 03:20 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserVeteranWell-Liked5,000 VHL Life Points

I love Dave, and I consider myself mainly a Roth-era guy. But I have to admit that I did roll my eyes a little when he said in that interview that the only "brand new" song is "Stay Frosty," which even he admits is an "update" of "Ice Cream Man."
    "There will always be a Holyfield or a Tyson, but there's only one Mohammad Ali. There will always be a new body building champion, but there's only one Arnold. And there's only one David Lee. I'm the fun in Van Halen, always will be." - David Lee Roth

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p...yarcwoiovu.jpg

The Full Bug

Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Women Down
    Favorite VH Song

How Now Brown Sound
    Last Online

09.19.18 @ 05:57 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Yeah, but I think the "since '84" is an exaggeration. Mike said they had worked on new material at least once (early 2000s, I think) and that it "was pretty good". Even Dave himslef said about some of the sessions that "the hands fell off the clock" but the lawyers got involved and it turned to shit. It's obvious that the tunes in question in this thread came at some point after their official debut, whether from the Hagar years or whatever. What I do believe is that Ed & Dave haven't honestly written anything together in far too long. It's about time.

10. JUNGLE DRUMMER thanked for this post.
    Sinner's Swing!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Super Seven
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/I'm the One
    Last Online

06.21.20 @ 11:43 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life Points

Rolling Stone's No. 16 song in their Top 50 songs of 2012. Great updated version!

Sinner's Swing!
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The Super Seven
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/I'm the One
    Last Online

06.21.20 @ 11:43 PM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Hamnerhead View Post
    I love Dave, and I consider myself mainly a Roth-era guy. But I have to admit that I did roll my eyes a little when he said in that interview that the only "brand new" song is "Stay Frosty," which even he admits is an "update" of "Ice Cream Man."
    Rolling Stone's No. 16 song in their Top 50 songs of 2012. Great updated version!

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

Today @ 08:27 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-Liked50,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable

they never did Stay Frosty live? huh. that seems odd, it seems like a song that would work well live.

I wonder why it never made the cut?

Light Up The Sky
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 04:18 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    VeteranMaster PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!100,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by Bad to the Bone View Post
    they never did Stay Frosty live? huh. that seems odd, it seems like a song that would work well live.

Imo...ICM.

Too similar and one is a classic.

Broken Down & Dirty
    Posts Per Day
    Last Online

Today @ 08:05 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member

Donor

Achievements:
    Padawan PraiserVeteranWell-LikedVHLinks Proud!15,000 VHL Life Points

Quote Originally Posted by E-roc View Post
    Yeah, but I think the "since '84" is an exaggeration. Mike said they had worked on new material at least once (early 2000s, I think) and that it "was pretty good". Even Dave himslef said about some of the sessions that "the hands fell off the clock" but the lawyers got involved and it turned to shit. It's obvious that the tunes in question in this thread came at some point after their official debut, whether from the Hagar years or whatever. What I do believe is that Ed & Dave haven't honestly written anything together in far too long. It's about time.
    Yes, I recall hearing a clip of Dave's radio show where he talked about how he and at least Ed and Al (I assume Mike too) had worked up some stuff early 2000s. Seems some Linkers pieced it together that Honeybabysweetiedoll came out of that and perhaps As Is and Trouble With Never. It's around somewhere -- my memory is kind of shaky on that. On the radio clip he said something about maybe playing on air some of what they had done but determined it wouldn't be a good idea.

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

opps, double post. I got the "data base error" so I thought my initial post didn't go through.

Mean Street
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

Today @ 08:39 AM
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Premium Member
    Achievements:
    Master PraiserSupremely-LikedElite Daily PosterVHLinks Proud!300,000 VHL Life PointsKnight Of Da Roundtable
    Awards:
    The VHLinks Forum MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Bad to the Bone View Post

It would be an absolute nightmare for Dave to cram in al of those lyrics in a live setting. I do love me some Stay Frosty.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"The truth sounds like hate to those who hate the truth" - Todd Wagner

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Hot For Teacher
    Posts Per Day
    Favorite VH Album

FUCK or 5150
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine, 5150
    Last Online

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)

Achievements:

Quote Originally Posted by I Coulda Hada VH View Post
    It would be an absolute nightmare for Dave to cram in al of those lyrics in a live setting. I do love me some Stay Frosty.
    could he remember all those lyrics?

(I'm joking)