Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 07:06 PM
    Liked 1,608 Times in 744 Posts

Premium Member

Default Swirl Guitar Project.

After discovering Magic Marble Paint on youtube about a year or so ago, I've always wanted to try it. Nobody who stocked it overseas was willing to send it to Australia or send it at a reasonable postage price (one place wanted $60 US to send 1 bottle here), so I've just been waiting.

About 2 weeks ago, I finally found someone here in OZ that stocks it and ordered it straight away.

I did some testing today and here are the results so far.

I first used a few pieces of scrap wood to test the colours and technique. Worked and looks pretty good.

So I then gave an old Fender Squire body that I had here (prepped white a week ago) a shot and here is the results.

It kind of faded out a little towards to top of the body, but I kind of like it. The back is quite faded too, but I dont really care to much...

I'm going to try a Green/Black swirl tomorrow on another old shitty body (already prepped with green base coat) that I have here and see how that goes.

This paint is so easy to use. I love it. I'm going to swirl everything now...

I just need to workout what clear to use on it. Anybody got any tips????
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

2. The Following 7 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:31 PM
    Liked 6,973 Times in 5,009 Posts

Premium Member

I really like that!
    The body came out looking really good. I dig the fact that every new creation is going to its own unique design/pattern. Good stuff, Dutchie!
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT/Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:27 PM
    Liked 629 Times in 311 Posts

That's awesome! Now you should try to make one with stripes!
    I'm just here.

Hotty Toddy, gosh almighty,
    Who the hell are we? Hey!

Flim flam, bim bam,
    Ole Miss, by damn!

"I can't complain but sometimes I still do" - Joe Walsh

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:00 PM
    Liked 11,578 Times in 4,934 Posts

Woah that's pretty cool!
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:50 PM
    Liked 1,042 Times in 525 Posts

Nice one, Dutchie. Check out Ben Eller on youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcL...cfCL6RplXhaO4Q. Not only is he a monster player, he has a stack of different swirl finished guitars.

I've got an old Hondo bass, first instrument I ever bought, in pieces at the moment and i'm gonna swirl it.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:00 PM
    Liked 11,578 Times in 4,934 Posts

I've seen pretty good results with that Magic Marble paint. I may have to try it.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:47 PM
    Liked 45 Times in 22 Posts

That looks fantastic Dutchie!

Where did you find it in Aus?

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

11.17.17 @ 05:11 AM
    Liked 648 Times in 358 Posts

Looks great.

Sent from my C6902 using Tapatalk

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

Premium Member

Thanks guys. This is fun stuff to use. I did the green body today but it didn't turn out as good (not that the first one was great) but for reason, the paint acted a little different today. It was a little cooler here than what it was yesterday, so maybe that might of been the problem. I used the same water as I did yesterday which I only used once for the guitar dip (I used a small bucket for the wood samples) and the water was still very clean, but when I put the paint in today, it didn't spread as well as it did yesterday... Again, like an idiot, I didn't use enough paint and only half the guitar swirled, but like I said, I'm still experimenting with this stuff and this is the second one I've done. Apparently you can wipe it down with Turps or meth spirits (I cant remember which atm) and the paint comes off quite easy and I can do it again. Thats what I'll do with the green one and try again though the week.

The swirl at the bottom of the front looks kind of cool. If the whole body looked like that I'd be really happy. Maybe next dip.

I was doing some research last night regarding clear coats and from what I can gather either 2k clear works best or Rustoleum Clear has worked well for a couple of people. I have Rustoleum clear here so I'll try that on the wood samples later in the week. I hope it does work as the cheapest I've seen the 2k clear here is $35 a can and it doesn't have a very long shelf life after its been activated. Apparently you have to use it in an hour or so before it hardens in the can, so I'll have to spray it on the sample wood and if it reacts badly with this paint, I hope it reacts quickly so I dont waste it and time spraying the guitar. I'll post here on how it all goes.

Thanks for that link CalFB. Man, he has some nice guitars. I'm going to checkout more of vids later tonight.

James, I found this stuff here....

http://www.speedyschoolsupplies.com....-paint-rainbow

He only sells it in kit form. 6 bottles per kit. $26.95 + $13.00ish postage to SA. The kit in the link is called the Rainbow Kit and has Yellow, Pink, Violet, Blue, Green and colorless (so you can swirl just one color). He told me about another kit called the Contrast Kit with has White, Silver, Black, Neon Pink, Neon Yellow & Neon Orange. He had to order it in for me but it only took about 4 or 5 days for him to get it. I bought both kits. Unfortunately, you cant buy single colors yet, but as I needed some practice anyway, I dont mind getting the extra bottles. Plus, you can use this paint on a lot of other things. This paint sells for around $8.00 in the US and a 6 bottle kit sells for $40. I was going to get some from a site in the US and postage was $60 for 1 bottle to OZ....

Thanks again for the comments guys. I'll keep you posted on the next swirl and how I go with the clear coats.

If I can work this out so it looks really cool, I'm going to buy a Jem replacement body and do a custom Jem project. I'll get a neck made with either the Tree of Life inlays or the disappearing Pyramid inlays matching the colors I use on the body.
    Last edited by Dutchie5150; 11.02.15 at 05:31 AM.
    If you have nothing nice to say about Eddie Van Halen, you're at the right website. - Me (A few years ago)

"People take Van Halen much more seriously than we do" - David Lee Roth (1980's)

"I don't sit on the end of your bed while you're trying to make a living" - David Lee Roth (1988)

"For some reason people love to complain about everything. The internet has made it easy for people to do that. Shut the fuck up and get a life, or show me how good you can do it."- Edward Van Halen

"A lot of people ask me which Van Halen singer was better. You can't compare them. It's like asking which guitarist is better. Nobody is better than anybody. Every player is their own person."-Edward Van Halen

"I do like Eddie Van Halen as a player. He gets it right quite often." -Paul McCartney

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:31 PM
    Liked 6,973 Times in 5,009 Posts

Premium Member

Looking forward to seeing more from you!
    Personally, I'd go with the disappearing pyramid inlays...
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

Premium Member

So, a while back I sprayed some Rustoluem clear on the guitar and screwed it up. I'm not used to Rustoleum paint (it a bit thinker than the Dupliclor that I usually use) and got runs everywhere, so I kind of let it sit a while as I lost interest. A few weeks ago I decided to rub it back and re spray it. I used a yellow base coat this time. I dipped it again today and this is how it turned out....

Its still not perfect, but I like it and will keep it (providing I dont screw up the clear again). I used more of the MM paint than last time but obviously still not enough as there is still a bit of fade out towards the top of the body. I'll let it dry for about a week (I think it only really needs a day or two) and then I'll shoot clear on it and see what happens. If all goes well, I'll do my Jem Jr a white/black swirl next.
    Last edited by Dutchie5150; 02.16.16 at 07:13 PM.

14. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 02:47 PM
    Liked 45 Times in 22 Posts

Looks great Dutchie!

The swirls on the back look particularly awesome! Nice pairing of the back and front

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, DDL, Dirty Movies
    Last Online

Premium Member

Thanks. I kind of like the way the Strat tuned out too. I cleared it a few weeks ago using Spraymax 2k clear and it turned out pretty nice. I still need to wet sand the clear but it looks great.

I swirled the Jem Jr I have last week. It also turned out not too bad I guess. It could of been better, but I'm still learning and I kind of like it. I cleared it today with the same clear and while I got a couple of sags, it looks good.

I like the Spraymax paint, its expensive here, $45 a can, but it sprays nice & I'm glad I bought it. I bought 2 cans, one for each guitar and I got 4 coats on each body.

If you are going to use Spraymax, make sure to wear a respirator, gloves and saftey googles. Its nasty stuff and you dont want to breathe it in....

Heres the Jem Jr.....

17. The Following Member Likes This Post: