Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:02 AM
    Liked 11,776 Times in 6,523 Posts

Premium Member

Default After CNBC debacle, Carson camp vows revolt over debates

Boulder, Colo. — After a performance by CNBC moderators that Republicans characterized as both biased and inept, a manager for a top GOP campaign says he will try to organize other campaigns to force the Republican National Committee to make "wholesale change" in the debate process.

In an interview shortly after the debate, Barry Bennett, manager of the Ben Carson campaign, called the session here in Colorado "unfair to everyone" and said the current debate structure should not remain in place. "I think the families need to get together here, because these debates as structured by the RNC are not helping the party," Bennett said. "There's not enough time to talk about your plans, there's no presentation. It's just a slugfest. All we do is change moderators. And the trendline is horrific. So I think there needs to be wholesale change here."

Bennett said he will call Donald Trump campaign manager Corey Lewandowski Thursday to propose a unified call for change. "Corey and I talk regularly, so I will talk to him," Bennett said. "I will call Frank Sadler (Carly Fiorina's campaign manager), I will call those guys and say listen, we can choose our own network and our own format. We don't need to be led around like prize steers."

"I think at this point, if five or six of us get together, who generate the largest portion of the audience, we can force change," Bennett said.

Bennett noted that the Carson and Trump campaigns forced CNBC to shorten the debate and allow opening and closing statements. If campaigns can compel that kind of change, the reasoning goes, perhaps they can push for a more fundamental reworking of the debate structure.

Bennett is particularly unhappy with the length of time given candidates to address issues — he thinks it's way too short — as well as the debate moderators' attempts to spark fights between the candidates. Bennett had not yet spoken with Carson himself about Wednesday night's debate, but said the two have discussed the problem in the past. "He hates the format," Bennett said of Carson.

Even before the debate was over, Republicans took to social media to complain bitterly about CNBC's questions. The feeling was apparently so strong in the debate room that Ted Cruz created the moment of the night when he denounced the moderators:

The questions that have been asked so far in this debate illustrate why the American people don't trust the media.

This is not a cage match. And, you look at the questions — "Donald Trump, are you a comic-book villain?" "Ben Carson, can you do math?" "John Kasich, will you insult two people over here?" "Marco Rubio, why don't you resign?" "Jeb Bush, why have your numbers fallen?" How about talking about the substantive issues the people care about?

The crowd went crazy. And approval was almost as loud when other candidates, including Trump and Rubio, went after the moderators. At one point, Chris Christie told the CNBC group, "Even in New Jersey what you're doing is called rude."

While the debate was still going on, multiple campaigns called RNC chairman Reince Priebus to complain. Recognizing the seriousness of the situation, Priebus prepared a statement for release the instant the debate ended. "The performance by the CNBC moderators was extremely disappointing and did a disservice to their network, our candidates, and voters," Priebus said. "CNBC should be ashamed of how this debate was handled."

In coming days there will be many more denunciations of CNBC. But for the campaigns, the bigger issue could be the party. In an effort to avoid repeating the perceived problems of 2012, Priebus took control of the debate process. Now, if the Carson campaign and others unite, Priebus could lose some of that control.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:58 AM
    Liked 2,387 Times in 1,489 Posts

Premium Member

Republicans should have their own primary debates video taped at the RNC headquarters with party members asking questions on a chosen topic ,3 hour time limit and just put it on You Tube and Periscope etc. Fuck all the so called news networks. Just refuse to talk to them even Fox.
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

3. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 12:01 PM
    Liked 2,236 Times in 1,129 Posts

Premium Member

My concern with just a few candidates getting together and doing their own debates would be that lesser known candidates will never get the screen time needed to have an effect. As it is, the top tier candidates dominate the news cycle, so the only way these lesser known candidates have to get a bump is to get equal footing on stage. My guess is the top 6 or 7 will tilt it to their advantage because it's in their best interest.

I didn't watch the debate last night, but what little I've seen of it today make it appear to have been a complete waste of everyone's time. The purpose of the debate isn't to get fireworks on stage over personal attacks, it's to find the distinctions between candidates on issues. That's why the exchange Paul and Christie on the 14th amendment was so compelling, or Paul and pretty much everyone else on Syria, etc. THAT is what viewers want to see. If candidates attack each other, that's on them, but the moderators shouldn't be encouraging it from their desk. It's counterproductive.
    CNN may think my opinion matters, but you shouldn't.

5. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:04 AM
    Liked 1,035 Times in 506 Posts

The question asked is so loaded, it's absurd.
    "...it's steak and whiskey time in America." - bklynboy68

7. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

CNBC should be embrrassed
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Default Bill Maher Celebrates Ted Cruz Fight with CNBC Debate Moderators

Quote Originally Posted by BlindtotheWorld View Post

The question asked is so loaded, it's absurd.
    After Sen. Ted Cruz (R-TX) lashed out against the Republican debate moderators at CNBC, Comedian Bill Maher celebrated on Twitter

“Oh my god did I just hear Ted Cruz say something awesome that I agree with?” he asked. “Yes. The media is even stupider than the politicians,” he wrote.

oh my god did i just hear Ted Cruz say something awesome that i agree with? Yes. The media is even stupider than the pols. Who's on first?

— Bill Maher (@billmaher)
    October 29, 2015

“Who’s on first?” Maher added, referring to the World Series that was also underway on television.

A frustrated Cruz lashed out against the questions from the CNBC moderators, declaring that it was an illustration of why the American people don’t trust the media.

“This is not a cage match,” he said as the crowd cheered wildly. “How about talking about the substantive issues that people care about.”

Cruz hit the moderators, accusing them of a liberal bias that was just trying to take all of the Republican candidates down a peg.

“Nobody watching at home believes that the moderators have any intention of voting in a Republican primary,” Cruz said.

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

Premium Member

Default RNC pulls out of NBC debates

The Republican National Committee has pulled out of a planned Feb. 26 debate with NBC News after widespread criticism of this week's CNBC debate from both the party and campaigns.

"We are suspending the partnership with NBC News for the Republican primary debate at the University of Houston on February 26, 2016," RNC Chairman Reince Priebus wrote in a letter to NBC News Chairman Andrew Lack. 

CNBC network is one of your media properties, and its handling of the debate was conducted in bad faith," Priebus wrote. 

"I have tremendous respect for the First Amendment and freedom of the press. However, I also expect the media to host a substantive debate on consequential issues important to Americans. CNBC did not."

He went on to pan CNBC for "inaccurate or downright offensive" questions, specifically singling out  a question to Donald Trump, who was asked whether he was running a "comic book" version of a presidential campaign.  

"While debates are meant to include tough questions and contrast candidates’ visions and policies for the future of America, CNBC’s moderators engaged in a series of 'gotcha' questions, petty and mean-spirited in tone, and designed to embarrass our candidates," he said.  

"What took place Wednesday night was not an attempt to give the American people a greater understanding of our candidates’ policies and ideas. 

He added that the network didn't deliver on the promise to focus the debate on important issues and to allow the candidates to make opening statements. The debate instead began with a question about the candidates' weaknesses.  

Trump and Ben Carson had threatened to pull out of the debate if they could not make opening statements, which the candidate can use to express their messages even if they don't spend as much time speaking during the event.

The RNC still plans to hold a debate on that date that includes National Review, a conservative publication that partnered with NBC for the upcoming debate.  

In an email statement Friday afternoon, NBC responded to the RNC's action saying, “This is a disappointing development. However, along with our debate broadcast partners at Telemundo we will work in good faith to resolve this matter with the Republican Party.”

Candidates criticized the debate along similar lines during the contest itself, with Ted Cruz bashing the moderators for political bias and unfair questions. And Priebus issued a rare press release immediately after the debate expressing the party's unhappiness with CNBC. 

That frustration spilled over in the debate's aftermath and a handful of campaigns are set to air grievances in a private meeting this weekend. The candidates said they were going to exclude the RNC from the meeting.

Former RNC communications director Trevor Francis praised the party's decision.

"The RNC demonstrated once again that there is no greater advocate for the candidates running for president than the RNC itself." 

“This is a good signal, I’m sure that this is not going to address everything but it is not intended to address everything. They are going to keep an open mind and an open dialogue with each of the campaigns.”

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/...-of-nbc-debate

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 08:52 AM
    Liked 4,807 Times in 2,454 Posts

Premium Member

Good for the GOP. That debate was terrible. While I would understand tougher questioning from CNBC, NBC or MSNBC simply because they are farther left than FOX is right, what happened the other night was an embarrassment. The media should be called to the carpet on this. Its not doing any service to our country that deserves to hear tough but FAIR questions.

I would imagine how pissed off Matthews or Meadows would be if Hillary was treated to a FOX news debate asking similar questions.

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:48 AM
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts

Premium Member

I tuned in to the "pre-coverage" and it was awful. People were talking over each other, talking to people off camera, confusing the commentator that was on-location--I couldn't even handle it, so I watched the debate later, without commercials, and YouTube through Chromecast.

Debate moderation 101: Don't ask one candidate a question that ALL candidates will want to answer if you're not prepared to let them do that.

So when you ask Rubio about a local newspaper calling for his resignation, that makes sense. He answers, Bush responds, Rubio responds to him, and it runs its course. You move on.

Ask the two leading candidates about their tax plans, everyone is going to want to talk about their tax plan. And they lost control during that time.

You can ask specific questions and broad policy questions, but you have to know which is which and when and whom to ask them to.

The questions didn't bother me as much as the lack of control, the inability to back up assertions, and the general cluelessness as to the format for the debate.
    Last edited by lovemachine97(Version 2); 10.30.15 at 01:35 PM.

Favorite VH Album

OU812
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight/Mine All Mine
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:04 AM
    Liked 1,035 Times in 506 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by lovemachine97(Version 2) View Post
    The questions didn't bother me as much as the lack of control, the inability to back up assertions, and the general cluelessness as to the format for the debate.
    How about this question posed to Trump?:

"Mr. Trump, you've done very well in this campaign so far by promising to build a wall and make another country pay for it, send 11 million people out of the country, cut taxes $10 trillion without increasing the deficit, and make Americans better off because your greatness would replace the stupidity and incompetence of others," Harwood said.

"Let's be honest," he added. "Is this a comic-book version of a presidential campaign?"
    "...it's steak and whiskey time in America." - bklynboy68

Atomic Punk lovemachine97(Version 2)'s Avatar
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:48 AM
    Liked 3,116 Times in 1,827 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlindtotheWorld View Post
    How about this question posed to Trump?:

"Mr. Trump, you've done very well in this campaign so far by promising to build a wall and make another country pay for it, send 11 million people out of the country, cut taxes $10 trillion without increasing the deficit, and make Americans better off because your greatness would replace the stupidity and incompetence of others," Harwood said.

"Let's be honest," he added. "Is this a comic-book version of a presidential campaign?"
    I guess I probably should have explained further. The questions to me weren't necessarily out of the ordinary. I mean, one of the disliked questions Cruz mentioned was about whether or not Carson's tax plan added up. That's not really, "Can you do math?" as Cruz put it. I think it is a fair question.

As for the Trump question, I think it was snarky more than unfair. The flying off the stage by flapping his arms was snarky too. And I would agree that that is inappropriate.

Take Anderson Cooper asking Hilary Clinton a question. It was snarky, but more subtly.

"Some Democrats believe you changed your positions based on political expediency . You’re against same-sex marriage now you are for it. You defended President Obama’s immigration policy now you say they are too harsh. You supported his trade deal dozens of times you even called it the gold standard, suddenly last week you’re against it.

Will you say anything to get elected?"

The former question is basically asking, "Isn't this just a bunch of pie in the sky promises that you haven't backed up with specifics? The latter question is asking, "Are you taking politically expedient positions that differ from your actual beliefs in order to get elected?"

I think both questions are fair, but not necessarily how the Trump question was asked.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 11:33 AM
    Liked 7,873 Times in 4,600 Posts

Premium Member

Get rid of journalists/moderators.

Replace them with a cross-section of registered voters.

Let the people ask the questions.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 07:28 PM
    Liked 172 Times in 106 Posts

They could have let third graders ask questions and it would have been a much more substantive debate. Hillary Clinton, Bernie Sanders, and Martin O'Malley could have moderated the debate and the questions wouldn't have been much more biased.

Banned!
    Last Online

01.21.16 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 623 Times in 347 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by CaboChris View Post
    Get rid of journalists/moderators.

Replace them with a cross-section of registered voters.

Let the people ask the questions.
    Unfortunately, "people don't know nothing. No matter what they tell ya, man."

Banned!
    Last Online

01.21.16 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 623 Times in 347 Posts

I think the moderators were just trying to compete with the silliness of every "candidate" on that stage. Geez. If that's the best you've got, then it's time to shut her down.