Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 1,387 Times in 761 Posts

Default Canadian Elections

Huge political change in Canada this week, Conservative out and Liberals in. I thought it would be nice for our many canadian linkers to give us a round up of what is happening in the Great White North. It's sometimes difficult to understand what's happening with our cousins across the border!
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

The Magnificent 7
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 06:38 PM
    Liked 11,770 Times in 6,520 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    Huge political change in Canada this week, Conservative out and Liberals in. I thought it would be nice for our many canadian linkers to give us a round up of what is happening in the Great White North. It's sometimes difficult to understand what's happening with our cousins across the border!
    We already have a thread up for this.
     "He has a swaggering retro machismo that will give hives to the Steinem cabal" -Camille Paglia on Donald Trump

"Make way for the bad guy"- Tony Montana

'This hamburger don't need no helper"- David Lee Roth

"I wish Bon Jovi would've given me a call before he recorded all of his hits, because the lyrics would've been smarter, the melodies would've been much more smashing, and they would've sold a lot fewer records." -David Lee Roth

"My beef is people thinking Bon Jovi is good cuz they sold lots of records to housewives." -tango

"But being number one doesn’t really mean jack fuck all. We sold twice as many records as other records that year (1984) that landed in the Number One position." ~Eddie Van Halen

Favorite VH Album

like them all, no favourite
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:10 PM
    Liked 6,695 Times in 3,715 Posts

The liberals here basically sit in the political centre (at least that is what they aim for) and because of this they are the natural governing party. The last time they held power however it ended with a number of scandals and that really harmed the party. They then chose two very boring leaders who couldn't draw people away from their base. The Conservatives (under Harper) wisely shifted a little to the middle and were able to win the last couple of elections. But never due to huge popularity (they drew 37% two elections ago, 39% last election). It was more along the line of their base (say 30%) plus a bunch of centrists who thought Harper was tolerable as a leader.

Harper was in power for about a decade and like most parties in that time they got fat. A bunch of small scandals hit them and it cost them a bunch of centrist voters. All of them went to the liberals and many political left voters (who disliked Harper) figured the liberals had the best chance of defeating him and voted Liberal.

It's being sold as a huge liberal mandate. Truth be told they got under 40% of the vote. I'm guessing the changes they make will be pretty minor. I don't think we should expect revolution. If they stay in the middle ground politically and avoid huge scandal, I can see Trudeau being PM for a long, long time.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 07:46 PM
    Liked 7,867 Times in 4,595 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    The liberals here basically sit in the political centre (at least that is what they aim for) and because of this they are the natural governing party. The last time they held power however it ended with a number of scandals and that really harmed the party. They then chose two very boring leaders who couldn't draw people away from their base. The Conservatives (under Harper) wisely shifted a little to the middle and were able to win the last couple of elections. But never due to huge popularity (they drew 37% two elections ago, 39% last election). It was more along the line of their base (say 30%) plus a bunch of centrists who thought Harper was tolerable as a leader.

Harper was in power for about a decade and like most parties in that time they got fat. A bunch of small scandals hit them and it cost them a bunch of centrist voters. All of them went to the liberals and many political left voters (who disliked Harper) figured the liberals had the best chance of defeating him and voted Liberal.

It's being sold as a huge liberal mandate. Truth be told they got under 40% of the vote. I'm guessing the changes they make will be pretty minor. I don't think we should expect revolution. If they stay in the middle ground politically and avoid huge scandal, I can see Trudeau being PM for a long, long time.

Same thing in UK, pretty much.

Don't think there's going to be the "revolution" under Corbyn, that they think. Granted, he's not the PM but the hope that his election as labor leader, will usher in a new liberal agenda is misplaced.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 11:34 AM
    Liked 2,801 Times in 1,450 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by It's Mike View Post
    I wonder how this will effect their vote in the Paris "Climate talks" in December. Canada was not onboard with signing away their money under the old leadership.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Harpospoke View Post
    I wonder how this will effect their vote in the Paris "Climate talks" in December. Canada was not onboard with signing away their money under the old leadership.
    Trudeau has already said he'll be more involved in the talks, he's actually bringing all of the premiers with him as well. That said, I'm betting this is more photo op than anything. I'm gonna guess they'll say that the old targets won't get hit (due to the old government) so they are so far behind that they can't guarantee they'll hit any more aggressive targets. So all they'll do is push things 5-10 years further along and do little. Just like I imagine they'll do in most of the world. Environmental policy here should be more about building public transit than trying to shut down the oil sands (like most of the left wants).

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:39 PM
    Liked 1,387 Times in 761 Posts

I've never understood why Canada isn't more pro-environment. You guys have such a beautiful country up there, it should lead to people wanting to preserve it, no?
    Little Dreamer

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

Quote Originally Posted by Little Dreamer View Post
    I've never understood why Canada isn't more pro-environment. You guys have such a beautiful country up there, it should lead to people wanting to preserve it, no?
    I think most Canadians are pro environment. Our most recent government didn't have it as a priority certainly. This is not unusual in times of economic stress. I think there something to be said for people neglecting the environment. I think this is natural in a country of such immense size and such a small population.