Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:49 AM
    Liked 16,555 Times in 9,387 Posts

Default What is your earliest memory ...

Of hearing your first original song from the Dave, Sammy and Gary eras?

Dave era:

"Eruption" blasting out of some guys Camaro in front of a walk up taco dive in Whittier, CA in 1978. I was completely blown away. I found out it was some band called "Van Halen". My older brother had the album on 8 Track. I found it and played it non-stop. "Van Halen" has been my favorite album of all-time for the past 37+ years.

Sammy era:

"Why Can't This Be Love?" on either KMET or KLOS 1986. I didn't really care for it then, and I don't really care for it now. The rest of the album, IMO contains much better songs. "WCTBL?" is sort of the "Tattoo" of "5150". This is still my favorite album from the Sammy era.

Gary era:

"Without You" on KLOS in 1998. I thought it was okay. Not great, not awful. "WY" is probably my 2nd favorite song on "VH III", with "Fire In The Hole" being my favorite. The rest of the album blows harder than a category 5 hurricane. On that theme, this album proved that no band should expect to be able to strike lightning 3 times.
    Last edited by I Coulda Hada VH; 10.15.15 at 04:59 PM.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

The one's Ed plays on
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:21 AM
    Liked 854 Times in 399 Posts

Premium Member

ERUPTION blasting out of my older brother's loud as fuck car stereo in his red and white Gremlin when he was in high school. i was 9. it memorized me.

WHY CAN'T THIS BE LOVE on the alarm clock radio by my bed in my room as a kid. didn't like the keyboards, still liked the song. KSHE 95 in St. Louis.

WITHOUT YOU same room as WCTBL. big ass stereo this time. really liked the song. really fucking wanted Dave back.
    ...AND ON THE SEVENTH DAY, GOD CREATED VAN HALEN

VAN HALEN IS A LIFESTYLE

3. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:50 AM
    Liked 7,631 Times in 4,006 Posts

Dave era: Two about the same time, 1980.

...And the cradle will rock.

It just floored me, that opening sound, then the riff & tone AND Dave's incredible
    lyrics and "punk-ass" vocals.
    He scared me a bit, he sounded "street" and tough.

Ain't talkin' bout love (at an amusement park, that same year).

The opening was the coolest, most high octane guitar tone i'd ever heard.
    And i loved the melody, the A minor to G, moody but metallic.
    The entire song was fantastic, top to bottom.

Hagar era:

Why can't this be love?

I was so dissapointed, it just crushed my spirit.
    Then i heard Summer Nights & BOBW, which i thought were just okay (i like
    those two much more, today).

Much later, that year, i heard "Good Enough," and i remember really liking that one.
    I loved the fills, the riff & the descending,weird chordal thing that comes at the chorus.
    I loved that guitar part.

Cherone era:

Without you.

I thought it was so bland, worse than Hagar but still sounding like it could have
    been on a Hagar album.
    The solo was boring, too.

I got the CD for free, from my job at HMV.
    I liked "One i want," and that's about it.

Favorite VH Album

WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:53 AM
    Liked 8,767 Times in 4,744 Posts

Premium Member

CVH- my oldest sister putting the needle down on RWTD for the first time on the record player in her room. Lol, she was a sophomore but I was only in the first grade. VH quickly replaced Blondie and Gordon Lightfoot as my favorite act, though my crush on Debbie Harry remained intact.

It was a huge thrill for me to make my sister's first concert ever be VH with Dave in 2007. I still can't believe she never went to ANY concerts in the late 70s/early 80s!

Van Hagar- WCTBL on the radio while shooting hoops in the driveway. A sinking feeling, as I didn't like either the song or Ed's shitty sounding synth. I knew things had changed, and not for the better, when one of my other sisters, who's favorite band was/is Bon Jovi and who had never shown any interest in VH, suddenly had to have 5150. Fortunately, there was some strong material on the rest of the album, and VH would remain my favorite band, but I hoped for Dave to return someday.

VHIII- Without You on the way to work the morning it debuted on the radio. I liked it. But after the song, the DJs said Gary must've been taking Sammy pills. I liked the album and loved the tour, but the two songs with Dave sounded so incredible, the reunion not happening was one of the biggest letdowns in all my years as a VH fan.

6. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning/ 5150
    Favorite VH Song

happy trails/ dreams
    Last Online

07.09.17 @ 07:00 PM
    Liked 1,832 Times in 988 Posts

Donor

Dave era: Brother brings home 1 and says play Eruption. I had just started playing the acoustic guitar within the last year. First show later that same year at the Mississippi River Jam.

Hook, line, sinker.

Sam era: WCTBL was also the first song I heard. Different but I did, and still do like the song. Full disclosure: Sam was already my favorite singer going back to even before VH hit the scene.

Gary era: Punt.

Edit: the classic/ Dave years are still my favorite years. Those albums, specifically 1 and FW smelled the most like pot. How's that for a measuring stick?

Sent from my iPhone
    Last edited by Nostalgia Act; 10.15.15 at 06:25 PM.
    Utilize. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I love coffee and sarcasm.

RJD \m/

Sig Pic courtesy of Greenpaw

8. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Last Online

12.16.17 @ 09:50 AM
    Liked 7,631 Times in 4,006 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JUNGLE DRUMMER View Post

Van Hagar- WCTBL on the radio while shooting hoops in the driveway. A sinking feeling, as I didn't like either the song or Ed's shitty sounding synth. I knew things had changed, and not for the better, when one of my other sisters, who's favorite band was/is Bon Jovi and who had never shown any interest in VH, suddenly had to have 5150.(
    Wait, you never told me that Robbie was your sister!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Girl Gone Bad
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:05 AM
    Liked 1,042 Times in 525 Posts

Runnin' With The Devil > Eruption > You Really Got Me - I was 14, at high school, blew my mind. I was already into heavy rock, Kiss, The Sweet, Zeppelin, Purple, Status Quo, but this was something different, huge sounding, loud, bombastic, lots of notes!

Why Can't This Be Love - fuck this shit, what's happened? Liked most of the album though and was happy once I heard it. I had the same reaction when I first heard Jump.

New World > Without You - I pre ordered the tin with the guitar pick and other shit in it. Wasn't sure if I liked the album, played it to try and like it, still don't.

Atomic Punk Get The Show On The Road's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:35 AM
    Liked 10,890 Times in 5,731 Posts

Premium Member

Heh, heh, I'll probably get banned from here if I tell the truth, but WTF, why not?

Dave era: My parents went out for the night and hired a babysitter who insisted on watching MTV all night. Jump comes on. I thought it was the dumbest thing I had ever seen. A bunch of grown men in stupid looking clothes prancing around for the camera. Didn't really give the music much thought, just knew that I thought those guys looked like a bunch of idiots.

Sam era: FUCK gets released and again, I'm watching the MTV waiting for my favorite band (which at the time was Guns N' Roses) to come on. So on comes Poundcake. I'm thinking, "aren't these the same assholes that did that stupid "Jump" video a few years earlier? Fuck man, get rid of 'em! This shit sucks!

Gary era: Obviously something had changed for me because I was eagerly anticipating this album. For some reason "Runaround" caught my attention back during the FUCK era and changed my whole opinion of Van Halen. Plus a buddy of mine had LWAN on VHS and used to play it for me all the time. For some reason Ed's playing spoke to me in a way that wasn't really captured in the videos on MTV. I didn't know much about music but I knew this guy was special. Call it growing up or whatever. But by the time RHRN came out my opinion had turned 180 degrees. Once "III" came out I was a huge fan. So "Without You" comes on and I'm like, "wow, Ed grew his hair back." The music didn't really matter because at that point I'd become a huge Ed head and was going to learn whatever it was that he was playing whether others liked it or not. Then I saw a bunch of shows on the tour and was floored!

It's funny to me how a band that I hated when I was first introduced to them because of their image became my favorite band by far later on and inspired me to become a musician. I'm glad that I was eventually able to look past the silly image shit and hear the fantastic musicianship that was behind the public persona. I still feel to this day that some people can't, and that's a shame.
    Last edited by Get The Show On The Road; 10.15.15 at 08:57 PM.
    The only genre I really know is Van Halen.

12. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:59 AM
    Liked 11,586 Times in 4,939 Posts

Summer camp bus 1978 RWTD came on the radio. I remember the car horn intro, stuck with me still to this day, I think of that bus. I was 7. Didn't become a fan until I was 10, I was obviously a little young to understand what I was hearing in 1978. I didn't have older siblings so I discovered them later on my own when a friend in school gave me Fair Warning on cassette and that was that. I obviously figured out they were the band I heard on the bus to summer camp a few years earlier. I do remember I kept trying to find RWTD on FW as I really didn't know what album it was on, and what exactly it was called. Hey I was 10.

No memory of when I first heard the Sam era stuff, but I would guess on the radio when WCTBL came out. Didn't like it much but somewhere I heard Summer Nights and I was sold that it could work.

I've erased all memory of VH3.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

14. The Following 2 Members Like This Post:

Banned!
    Last Online

01.21.16 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 623 Times in 347 Posts

Runnin With the Devil in my sister's room. She kept pointing at me at the word devil.

Why Can't This Be Love on the school's morning show. I was hooked from the opening keys. I was in Van Halen heaven and stayed there until 1996.

Without You on the radio. I felt Van Halen had forever tarnished its image.

Good Enough Dont disturb my Paradise's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

5150. F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

5150. Summer nights.
    Last Online

11.23.17 @ 09:42 PM
    Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts

Dave - On a compilation album from '84. I was 12. song was "Jump".
    Sammy - "Why cant this be love" on a music program '86
    Gary - "Without you" single.
    What is understood need not be discussed

"Dont disturb my paradise. I've asked you once. I've asked you nice" - "SERIOUS JU JU"

"I am in a blissful state. Dont bug me!!!" - Richard Dreyfuss "The Goodbye girl" 1977

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

I-II-WACF-FW-DD-1984-ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.06.17 @ 08:51 PM
    Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts

Dave Era- 1982 or 83 -Walking through the county fair with my father. Pretty Woman was BLASTING over the sound system of one of the rides we were walking past. I was in love...my father was pissed! He hated any music made after Dec 31 1959! I was dragging my feet to stay near the music, pretending to look at something, he kept getting more agitated with each passing second, I had to walk away or suffer his wrath! lol

Sam Era-Sophomore year of High School. On the phone with girlfriend who tells me it's on the radio. Loved it right away. Loved the whole album.

Gary Era-Think I saw the video on Mtv first. Liked it alot. Only song on VH3 I've ever listened to all the way through to this day. True Story!

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT/Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:18 AM
    Liked 629 Times in 311 Posts

Dave era- I heard Jump in a movie somewhere when I was a little kid. I don't think I had any opinion of it at the time, it was just a part of a movie. Then years later my dad started playing playing the first album on the way home from a middle school football game ("woo") and I was floored.
    Sammy era- I don't really remember. Probably when I a friend of mine had me listen to 5150 (the song) and Best of Both Worlds in sixth grade. I'd probably heard Right Now at assorted college football games I'd attended as well.
    Gary era- I avoided it like the plague until the day I joined this sight. Number 47 posted a link to VHIII on YouTube in the introduction thread that morning. Not gonna listen to it again. On a slight side note, later that same morning, I took the ACT and scored a 29 (my best ACT score at that point; I listened to Fair Warning before the next one and did better ).
    Last edited by Brody VH; 10.16.15 at 02:59 AM.
    I'm just here.

Hotty Toddy, gosh almighty,
    Who the hell are we? Hey!

Flim flam, bim bam,
    Ole Miss, by damn!

"I can't complain but sometimes I still do" - Joe Walsh

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:59 AM
    Liked 7,883 Times in 4,609 Posts

Premium Member

No specific memory when I first heard CVH. I do know that it was Jamie's Cryin' that hooked me. One by one...it was a cumulative effect.

"Holy shit...EVERY song is good"!!

By the time 1984 hit. I was a full blown addict at 11 years old.

Sam era was WCTBL.

Was sitting on the bed in my mom's room, with her and my sister. Song comes on the radio and I liked immediately because it was VH. My loyalty was to Ed, Al, and Mike.

Favorite VH Album

Fair warning, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

HAIL, love walks in, 5150
    Last Online

@
    Liked 6,342 Times in 3,187 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Dave- me and my brother shared a room growing up and we had a record/8 track player and we had you're no good/dance the night away on 8 track. He used to play the shit out of it. I couldn't complain. He was my big brother.

Sammy- once again my older brother had the 5150 and ou812 tapes and really the first memory I have of Sammy is love walks in. Loved the keyboards and the solo. Still do. Certainly one of my favorite Sammy songs. Then I started discovering the back catalog of VH.

Gary- me and my brother were driving around getting stoned and the premiered it on 96 Rock. Wasn't gonna say I was blown away but I kept an open mind.