Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Good Enough Dont disturb my Paradise's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.02.06
    Age
    45
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    1,527
    Favorite VH Album

    5150. F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

    5150. Summer nights.
    Last Online

    11.23.17 @ 09:42 PM
    Likes
    8
    Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts

    Default The Cow palace, Daly City 5150 show pro-shoot has to exist!!!!

    VH played their last 4 dates on the 5150 tour at the cow palace, Daly City near San Francisco. There's a documentary from this show with a lot of footage, backstage stuff and interviews. You can't tell me this show does'nt exist somewhere in its full entity professionally shot. The footage is up there with "Live without a net". I know if Eddie had it, we would definitely never see it, but someone in the know would have to know something.
    To me, this could be the holy grail for the Hagar years.
    What is understood need not be discussed

    "Dont disturb my paradise. I've asked you once. I've asked you nice" - "SERIOUS JU JU"

    "I am in a blissful state. Dont bug me!!!" - Richard Dreyfuss "The Goodbye girl" 1977

  2. #2
    Good Enough 51501984's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.14.02
    Age
    50
    Location
    The Bay Area
    Posts
    2,272
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 10:47 AM
    Likes
    629
    Liked 928 Times in 555 Posts

    Default

    Not much to add but I went to the Nov. 1st 1986 show at the Cow Palace which would've been the 2nd show of that run. A buddy of mine went to the final show of that 4 date run on the 3rd and said Ed had cut off that long mullet he was growing and had a really short hairdo with a rat tail. This pic is most likely from that last show of the tour
    http://www.vhboots.com/bGraphics/bre...ance_large.jpg

  3. The Following 3 Members Like This Post:


  4. #3
    Unchained coyote's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.02.02
    Location
    Mesa, AZ
    Posts
    454
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen II
    Favorite VH Song

    I'm the One
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 10:57 AM
    Likes
    129
    Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts

    Default

    I was also at the Nov. 1st show... Great show, I would love to see this if it exists.

  5. #4
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    08.23.11
    Age
    49
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,908
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 10:03 AM
    Likes
    2,491
    Liked 2,658 Times in 1,331 Posts

    Default

    Are you talking about this footage?



    If so that's pretty clearly just done from ET's own cameras and that's likely about all they shot. Now having said that, there are a lot of venues that filmed shows and I have no doubt that there are several, even many, VH shows that are in their possession that the band probably isn't even aware of. I've been collecting boots, especially venue filmed shows, for a long time and it's not hard to check old show dates and match them with venues that were known to regularly film and get a good idea of the possibilities, at least.

  6. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  7. #5
    Good Enough 51501984's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.14.02
    Age
    50
    Location
    The Bay Area
    Posts
    2,272
    Favorite VH Album

    Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 10:47 AM
    Likes
    629
    Liked 928 Times in 555 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
    Are you talking about this footage?



    If so that's pretty clearly just done from ET's own cameras and that's likely about all they shot. Now having said that, there are a lot of venues that filmed shows and I have no doubt that there are several, even many, VH shows that are in their possession that the band probably isn't even aware of. I've been collecting boots, especially venue filmed shows, for a long time and it's not hard to check old show dates and match them with venues that were known to regularly film and get a good idea of the possibilities, at least.
    At :45 you can hear Ed playing Riff Raff by AC/DC , I never noticed that back in the day when it aired

  8. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  9. #6
    Atomic Punk CaboChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.23.11
    Age
    45
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    15,732
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 11:02 AM
    Likes
    4,333
    Liked 7,883 Times in 4,609 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 51501984 View Post
    Not much to add but I went to the Nov. 1st 1986 show at the Cow Palace which would've been the 2nd show of that run. A buddy of mine went to the final show of that 4 date run on the 3rd and said Ed had cut off that long mullet he was growing and had a really short hairdo with a rat tail. This pic is most likely from that last show of the tour
    http://www.vhboots.com/bGraphics/bre...ance_large.jpg
    I was there too. My very first concert!

    Would love to see footage. I'm pretty sure it was the 2nd night. Ed was wearing the pink LWAN pants.

  10. #7
    Atomic Punk CaboChris's Avatar
    Join Date
    09.23.11
    Age
    45
    Location
    Reno, NV
    Posts
    15,732
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning/5150
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained/Best of Both Worlds
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 11:02 AM
    Likes
    4,333
    Liked 7,883 Times in 4,609 Posts


    Premium Member

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
    Are you talking about this footage?



    If so that's pretty clearly just done from ET's own cameras and that's likely about all they shot. Now having said that, there are a lot of venues that filmed shows and I have no doubt that there are several, even many, VH shows that are in their possession that the band probably isn't even aware of. I've been collecting boots, especially venue filmed shows, for a long time and it's not hard to check old show dates and match them with venues that were known to regularly film and get a good idea of the possibilities, at least.
    Bill Graham used to always have cameras rolling at his venues. That may have been the case at the Cow Palace..

    There is footage of the infamous Keith Moon tranquilizer incident at CP.

  11. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  12. #8
    Atomic Punk japeape's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.05.15
    Posts
    7,899
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 09:50 AM
    Likes
    5,601
    Liked 7,631 Times in 4,006 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 51501984 View Post
    At :45 you can hear Ed playing Riff Raff by AC/DC , I never noticed that back in the day when it aired
    Yeah, that was really cool, he sounded good!

    Love his backstage, punchy tone.

    I had never seen this segment of ET before, it was interesting.
    Amazing how they went from that to today, with all the bad blood.

    Loved the portion where Dave mouths off his side.
    I had forgotten how fucking cool Dave was back in the day.

  13. #9
    Atomic Punk japeape's Avatar
    Join Date
    02.05.15
    Posts
    7,899
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 09:50 AM
    Likes
    5,601
    Liked 7,631 Times in 4,006 Posts

    Default

    Ed seemed a bit defensive with the Pop comment.

    Then she's like, "Uh, but your music HAS changed..."

    She was right, it was a big change.

  14. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  15. #10
    Good Enough Dont disturb my Paradise's Avatar
    Join Date
    12.02.06
    Age
    45
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    1,527
    Favorite VH Album

    5150. F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

    5150. Summer nights.
    Last Online

    11.23.17 @ 09:42 PM
    Likes
    8
    Liked 203 Times in 118 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snowdog View Post
    Are you talking about this footage?



    If so that's pretty clearly just done from ET's own cameras and that's likely about all they shot. Now having said that, there are a lot of venues that filmed shows and I have no doubt that there are several, even many, VH shows that are in their possession that the band probably isn't even aware of. I've been collecting boots, especially venue filmed shows, for a long time and it's not hard to check old show dates and match them with venues that were known to regularly film and get a good idea of the possibilities, at least.
    You could be right about ET shooting it.....which pretty much kills my thread. Lol.
    But it is great footage, you gotta admit.
    I also have Rochester rehearsals and backstage footage too from the 5150 tour.
    What is understood need not be discussed

    "Dont disturb my paradise. I've asked you once. I've asked you nice" - "SERIOUS JU JU"

    "I am in a blissful state. Dont bug me!!!" - Richard Dreyfuss "The Goodbye girl" 1977

  16. The Following Member Likes This Post:


  17. #11
    Sinner's Swing!
    Join Date
    08.23.11
    Age
    49
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,908
    Favorite VH Album

    1984
    Favorite VH Song

    Drop Dead Legs
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 10:03 AM
    Likes
    2,491
    Liked 2,658 Times in 1,331 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dont disturb my Paradise View Post
    You could be right about ET shooting it.....which pretty much kills my thread. Lol.
    But it is great footage, you gotta admit.
    I also have Rochester rehearsals and backstage footage too from the 5150 tour.
    Well, like I said, I didn't mean to kill your excitement over it because in all likelihood there's still a lot of pro-shot footage (of varying quality) hidden away somewhere. Whether we ever see it is another thing. Some of the other bands I follow religiously like Rush and Judas Priest have had previously unknown pro-shot footage still show up 20-40 years after the fact. Quite honestly, I feel better about our chances of eventually seeing more Van Halen pro-shots knowing that private collectors/hoarders or venues may have them instead of the band. Sounds like a joke but it's not. I don't think there's another band of any significance that seems as allergic to releasing video as VH. It's bizarre. I'm glad though that between the 2 official releases and the 1989 Tokyo show and several Balance tour vids we've got high quality footage of all 4 Hagar album tours.

  18. #12
    5150
    Join Date
    07.13.02
    Age
    43
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    649
    Last Online

    07.31.17 @ 10:58 PM
    Likes
    121
    Liked 94 Times in 60 Posts

    Default

    There has to be something. There are so many videos out there from the Capitol Centre in Largo out now (VH 1982 from that of course), like Fleetwood Mac, Styx, Aerosmith, Seger, Springsteen, Kiss, Journey, etc. And even videos that were never leaked as bootlegs like AC/DC on the Flick of The Switch tour from there and from the Summit. Also from the Houston Summit there has been many films, the arena in Auburn Hills Michigan, and from the Sportorium? in Florida and a few others. There has to be something that exists really from anytime from 1978 onwards. Like the sort of recent upgrade of the 1981 Memphis show for example, who would have ever thought something better would finally be available?

    Also the Sabbath film Never Say Die was one of the shows VH opened, maybe they were filmed as well, also Texxas Jam 1978, Aerosmith released the film of their set. Gotta be something to show the fans somewhere.

    (Pro shot WCTBL 1986 )
    Last edited by RevolutionMan; 10.14.15 at 10:28 PM.

  19. #13
    Atomic Punk atomicpunk5151's Avatar
    Join Date
    05.26.04
    Location
    NOR-CAL
    Posts
    13,572
    Favorite VH Album

    Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

    Unchained, Hear About It Later
    Last Online

    12.15.17 @ 11:10 AM
    Likes
    1,924
    Liked 1,974 Times in 1,369 Posts

    Default

    It is doubtful that full band shot pro-shot footage exists. There were several linkers there and none of them have stories of boom cranes with cameras and other details like at the New Haven shows (LWAN).

    More likely possibility is the in-house camera feed. That would likely only be in the possession of Bill Graham and company. Really though, there have NEVER even been rumors of video from the SF 1986 shows in trading circles.

    The Cap Center (near Wash DC) was an anomaly where someone was smart enough to tape off the house video feed. We are truly lucky that so many great concerts were captured.

  20. #14
    Sinner's Swing! DFVH5150's Avatar
    Join Date
    03.24.04
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    2,789
    Favorite VH Album

    5150/ADKOT
    Favorite VH Song

    Dreams/Blood and Fire
    Last Online

    12.16.17 @ 12:33 AM
    Likes
    1,602
    Liked 791 Times in 477 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RevolutionMan View Post
    There has to be something. There are so many videos out there from the Capitol Centre in Largo out now (VH 1982 from that of course), like Fleetwood Mac, Styx, Aerosmith, Seger, Springsteen, Kiss, Journey, etc. And even videos that were never leaked as bootlegs like AC/DC on the Flick of The Switch tour from there and from the Summit. Also from the Houston Summit there has been many films, the arena in Auburn Hills Michigan, and from the Sportorium? in Florida and a few others. There has to be something that exists really from anytime from 1978 onwards. Like the sort of recent upgrade of the 1981 Memphis show for example, who would have ever thought something better would finally be available?

    Also the Sabbath film Never Say Die was one of the shows VH opened, maybe they were filmed as well, also Texxas Jam 1978, Aerosmith released the film of their set. Gotta be something to show the fans somewhere.

    (Pro shot WCTBL 1986 )
    Have you (or anyone) seen the upgraded '81 Memphis show for trade or sale? I've only seen a few songs on YT.
    Dave
    VH FOREVER!!!!!!!

    Stats:
    BECAME FAN/PSYCHO: 12/91
    VAN HALEN WITH DAVE: 9x
    VAN HALEN WITH SAMMY: 8x
    VAN HALEN WITH GARY: 5x
    CHICKENFOOT/THE CIRCLE: 6x
    DAVE SOLO: 13x
    SAMMY SOLO: 15x (including MIKE/MONTROSE)
    GARY/EXTREME/TRIBE OF JUDAH/HURTSMILE: 7x
    CABO WABO CANTINA: 1x
    MET: Sammy 1x, Dave almost 1x, Gary 2x

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. The David Lee Roth Radio Show: Does Archive Audio Exist?
    By ExpandedConsciousness in forum The Diamond One
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04.05.15, 02:51 AM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02.13.15, 06:54 AM
  3. Replies: 90
    Last Post: 06.14.13, 02:20 PM
  4. The David Lee Roth Radio Show: Does Archive Audio Exist?
    By ExpandedConsciousness in forum Main VH Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02.15.12, 07:05 PM
  5. Do any Salt Lake City VH videos exist?
    By bigdrewhalenite in forum Bootleg Network
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09.12.08, 09:21 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •