Favorite VH Album

the classic 6 pack
    Favorite VH Song

hmmm...everybody wants some
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 01:35 PM
    Liked 967 Times in 387 Posts

Default An Open Letter To Van Halen and Online Fan Community

Smoking the last cigar of my 2 week vacation. Any vacation working in mental health is a good one. Padron 1926 if anyone is wondering. 99 degrees in the Southern California desert (Palm Springs area) and a great day to be alive. The headphones are on and I'm doing my last spin of the night on the Chula Vista bootleg. Sentimental value to me since I was at the show, parked 3rd row in front of Eddie. More on that in a bit.

Somewhere back in 1999 I found the website www.vhforums.com. Glad I did. Over the years I've made some neat friendships and have garnered support in difficult times of life merely because I found a place where other people love the music of this band as much (if not more) than I do. Of course, I've been in my fair share of discussions and arguments here. Lot of discussion about the band, Ed's health, lineup changes, VIP tickets, setlist discussions, you name it. One thing has become clear to me after this tour, this music in one way way or another is more than a soundtrack to my life, it's become part of me. I mean, I know I am not the only father in the world who has a daughter with the name Halen, but when my daughter grabs her little Mickey Mouse guitar and says daddy lets sing JUMP, I just have an enormous amount of pride, but also gratitude. My daughter likes something I do. She's only 3 years old, and her twin brother likes it just as much. After she does her rendition of JUMP, she says, ok how about Panama? Classic, no pun intended.

I've seen about 15 shows in my life, which pales in comparison to many people on this site. I've seen every tour since the Balance your and have enjoyed them all. I've enjoyed every incarnation of the band, even when things didn't look so good. For me, watching Ed get his life and health back together means the world to me. I've worked in the substance abuse field the last 5 years and have been impacted by family and friends who have struggled with addiction. I've worked with people who have relapsed, overdosed, died, and unfortunately taken their own lives. So when I see Ed doing what he's doing, it means something extra special to me because I understand what he's gone through, at least on some level. I understand why his brother has stuck by his side regardless, and I also understand the frustration of the fans.

In early January of 2008 my then wife and I were beginning our divorce. I had moved back in with my parents and went back to work as soon as I could. I got home one night around 8pm and went upstairs to find this big wrapped package on my bed with a card. It was from my dad and the card wished me a happy birthday. I opened the package to find a framed and autographed 1984 album cover by all 4 original members. Yes, I was tearful to say the least and very moved. My dad never really understood my affinity for the Van Halen music until around that time. It opened a window for me to talk about VH with my pops, which was amazing. No, I'm not selling it.

I finally got to see a show with my wife this tour. I saw the show in San Bernardino with two of my brothers-in-law, what a night! I wasn't sure what to expect going with my wife. I've heard the comments, you're listening to that again? God! We get to the show and to our seats and her response was wow we're close! She was excited when Eddie waved at her one time, and I was too. We had to drive back that night because of her work obligations so we didn't really have a chance to talk about the show as it was late and she slept a lot. The last night on the tour I mentioned to her, hey the guys are playing the last show of the tour tonight in Hollywood. Her response? You should have said something, we should have gone. I was speechless and thinking good Lord don't tell me that right now. But there it was. My wife was left wanting more, which is the case, dare I say, with anyone who sees a band like this.

A lot of people chime in on what they think of the band and the interpersonal relationships that go along with it. I'm no different. I saw when Dave told Eddie the best moments of his life were when he performed on stage with Ed, and proceeded to kiss him on the cheek. To me, it felt authentic, and that's all I really cared about in that moment. I've learned through the work I do about how important it is to live and be in the moment. Dissecting the course of the Van Halen progression over the years makes me tired and takes away from my love of the band. I've done it at times and will continue to at times I am sure, but largely when a song hits the radio or is on my Sonos at home or wherever, I happen to just be at peace. I love it all. I even like How Many Say I. Know why? because that was Eddie being himself in the moment. Sure, it doesn't sound like what we're used to, but it's Eddie. Just like the rest of the characters that go along with this story, each one contributes something to the story. Sure, I get and have been frustrated with this band but I need to remind myself, this has been a wonderful gift to me and millions of other fans around the world. Love what Dave said at the last show, you wake up with gangster Japanese tattoos and realize you're the lead singer in the best fucking rock n roll band in the history of the sport. Truth.

Lot of discussion about whether or not this was the last tour. Will Wolf ask his dad to have Mike back for a final reunion. Will there be a 2 singer final tour. Truthfully, I really don't care. I'm happy if these guys keep playing and keep rocking. I need to remember they have lives also. they're people with families, hobbies, and goals for themselves. If they tour again in whatever capacity, I'll be there. For once, I finally feel comfortable saying if that was the last tour and that was my last show, I'm golden. I couldn't have asked for anything more over the years. Regardless of all the discrepancies over the years with this band, I always manage to get what I need when I need it from their music. And right now is no different. Would I like to see all these guys make amends? Sure, but not primarily for the music. My hope is they make amends for themselves if it's something they want and yearn for. My experience has shown me if it's organic and something someone wants to do, the rest will follow. I don't think this would be any different.

I'm not really sure why I'm writing this, other than the fact I feel compelled to say thank you too all members of the band past and present for the gifts you have given men and my family because music is a moving experience. It touches the soul. Thank you to you al, and a special thank you to Edward. And also a special thank you to Brett for running this site. I really cannot imagine what my life would be like with the music of VH.

Happy trails fellas, until we meet again...

Much love,

JMJ
    "you can't change JMJ, it's legendary"- Brett Norton 9/24/07

"It's the "JMJ" everyone had grown to love, man! Time to blow the roof off this place!"
    -Zachenfoot 2/23/10

"The links just look a little better with JMJ. Always has, always will." -Hurricane Halen 2/24/10

"I'm doin' the victory dance. Told ya I'd be back. Tell me ya missed me. Say it like ya mean it" - Blood and Fire. =VH= 2012. Welcome back boys :headband:

"I don't give a flying fuck about Motley Crue. I give about a half a fuck about Rush. I like Van Halen and don't give a flying fuck how many tickets they all sell. Any questions?"- jimmyw

Favorite VH Album

VH, 1984, 5150, F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

A few of Daves, a few of Sams!
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:26 AM
    Liked 6,970 Times in 5,006 Posts

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by JMJ View Post
    Smoking the last cigar of my 2 week vacation. Any vacation working in mental health is a good one. Padron 1926 if anyone is wondering. 99 degrees in the Southern California desert (Palm Springs area) and a great day to be alive. The headphones are on and I'm doing my last spin of the night on the Chula Vista bootleg. Sentimental value to me since I was at the show, parked 3rd row in front of Eddie. More on that in a bit.

Somewhere back in 1999 I found the website www.vhforums.com. Glad I did. Over the years I've made some neat friendships and have garnered support in difficult times of life merely because I found a place where other people love the music of this band as much (if not more) than I do. Of course, I've been in my fair share of discussions and arguments here. Lot of discussion about the band, Ed's health, lineup changes, VIP tickets, setlist discussions, you name it. One thing has become clear to me after this tour, this music in one way way or another is more than a soundtrack to my life, it's become part of me. I mean, I know I am not the only father in the world who has a daughter with the name Halen, but when my daughter grabs her little Mickey Mouse guitar and says daddy lets sing JUMP, I just have an enormous amount of pride, but also gratitude. My daughter likes something I do. She's only 3 years old, and her twin brother likes it just as much. After she does her rendition of JUMP, she says, ok how about Panama? Classic, no pun intended.

I've seen about 15 shows in my life, which pales in comparison to many people on this site. I've seen every tour since the Balance your and have enjoyed them all. I've enjoyed every incarnation of the band, even when things didn't look so good. For me, watching Ed get his life and health back together means the world to me. I've worked in the substance abuse field the last 5 years and have been impacted by family and friends who have struggled with addiction. I've worked with people who have relapsed, overdosed, died, and unfortunately taken their own lives. So when I see Ed doing what he's doing, it means something extra special to me because I understand what he's gone through, at least on some level. I understand why his brother has stuck by his side regardless, and I also understand the frustration of the fans.

In early January of 2008 my then wife and I were beginning our divorce. I had moved back in with my parents and went back to work as soon as I could. I got home one night around 8pm and went upstairs to find this big wrapped package on my bed with a card. It was from my dad and the card wished me a happy birthday. I opened the package to find a framed and autographed 1984 album cover by all 4 original members. Yes, I was tearful to say the least and very moved. My dad never really understood my affinity for the Van Halen music until around that time. It opened a window for me to talk about VH with my pops, which was amazing. No, I'm not selling it.

I finally got to see a show with my wife this tour. I saw the show in San Bernardino with two of my brothers-in-law, what a night! I wasn't sure what to expect going with my wife. I've heard the comments, you're listening to that again? God! We get to the show and to our seats and her response was wow we're close! She was excited when Eddie waved at her one time, and I was too. We had to drive back that night because of her work obligations so we didn't really have a chance to talk about the show as it was late and she slept a lot. The last night on the tour I mentioned to her, hey the guys are playing the last show of the tour tonight in Hollywood. Her response? You should have said something, we should have gone. I was speechless and thinking good Lord don't tell me that right now. But there it was. My wife was left wanting more, which is the case, dare I say, with anyone who sees a band like this.

A lot of people chime in on what they think of the band and the interpersonal relationships that go along with it. I'm no different. I saw when Dave told Eddie the best moments of his life were when he performed on stage with Ed, and proceeded to kiss him on the cheek. To me, it felt authentic, and that's all I really cared about in that moment. I've learned through the work I do about how important it is to live and be in the moment. Dissecting the course of the Van Halen progression over the years makes me tired and takes away from my love of the band. I've done it at times and will continue to at times I am sure, but largely when a song hits the radio or is on my Sonos at home or wherever, I happen to just be at peace. I love it all. I even like How Many Say I. Know why? because that was Eddie being himself in the moment. Sure, it doesn't sound like what we're used to, but it's Eddie. Just like the rest of the characters that go along with this story, each one contributes something to the story. Sure, I get and have been frustrated with this band but I need to remind myself, this has been a wonderful gift to me and millions of other fans around the world. Love what Dave said at the last show, you wake up with gangster Japanese tattoos and realize you're the lead singer in the best fucking rock n roll band in the history of the sport. Truth.

Lot of discussion about whether or not this was the last tour. Will Wolf ask his dad to have Mike back for a final reunion. Will there be a 2 singer final tour. Truthfully, I really don't care. I'm happy if these guys keep playing and keep rocking. I need to remember they have lives also. they're people with families, hobbies, and goals for themselves. If they tour again in whatever capacity, I'll be there. For once, I finally feel comfortable saying if that was the last tour and that was my last show, I'm golden. I couldn't have asked for anything more over the years. Regardless of all the discrepancies over the years with this band, I always manage to get what I need when I need it from their music. And right now is no different. Would I like to see all these guys make amends? Sure, but not primarily for the music. My hope is they make amends for themselves if it's something they want and yearn for. My experience has shown me if it's organic and something someone wants to do, the rest will follow. I don't think this would be any different.

I'm not really sure why I'm writing this, other than the fact I feel compelled to say thank you too all members of the band past and present for the gifts you have given men and my family because music is a moving experience. It touches the soul. Thank you to you al, and a special thank you to Edward. And also a special thank you to Brett for running this site. I really cannot imagine what my life would be like with the music of VH.

Much love,

JMJ
    Brilliant & heartfelt post, JMJ!!!
    Cheers.
    "There's too many people on this basketball that's floating around the sun, who are too afraid to allow themselves to FEEL" - Edward Van Halen
    "Van Halen was never about the singer..." - a very wise fan.
    "Embrace the past. Live in the moment but keep your eyes on the future, and keep on moving forward..." - Richie Sambora

Favorite VH Album

ADKOT/Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

In a Simple Rhyme
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 09:05 PM
    Liked 627 Times in 310 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JMJ View Post

Much love,

JMJ
    Well said, JMJ.
    I'm just here.

Hotty Toddy, gosh almighty,
    Who the hell are we? Hey!

Flim flam, bim bam,
    Ole Miss, by damn!

"I can't complain but sometimes I still do" - Joe Walsh

Favorite VH Album

diver down
    Favorite VH Song

drop dead legs
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Liked 2,383 Times in 1,487 Posts

Premium Member

That's an awesome post JMJ. I have many of those same thoughts too. Where does the time go?
    EVH 1979: Well, actually it's not much of a vacation, because we run everything ourselves. We design our own album cover, we have to be in the office every day to sign checks - the whole corporation revolves around us. Nothing can be done without our approval. We even have photo approval.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Blueprint
    Favorite VH Song

Voodoo Queen
    Last Online

02.17.17 @ 06:11 AM
    Liked 79 Times in 21 Posts

Such an excellent post... must have been the Padron 1926 that inspired you. Thanks for sharing.

-- enjoying a Davidoff Nicaraguan Puro

Favorite VH Album

The First One
    Favorite VH Song

I'm The One
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:33 PM
    Liked 16,520 Times in 9,363 Posts

JMJ, thank you for taking the time to write that. I think you summed out quite eloquently exactly how you and a lot of your fellow linkers feel about the Mighty Van Halen and this awesome website.
    "It's so lonely at the top because it's so crowded at the bottom" - Diamond David Lee Roth

"If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving is not for you"

"Be careful what you wish for because you just might lose what you already have"

"Women and Children First ... The REAL Van Halen III"

Hang 'Em High James in New York's Avatar
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:32 AM
    Liked 2,075 Times in 672 Posts

Right on, JMJ! Wonderfully written!
    Fashion your life as a garland of good deeds.

- Buddha

Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

simple rhyme
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 05:45 AM
    Liked 1,204 Times in 532 Posts

THIS.....

GET READY....
    WHAT IS UNDERSTOOD NEED NOT BE DISCUSSED

9. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 10:26 PM
    Liked 1,384 Times in 759 Posts

With the US-Cuba relationship warming up quickly, I think we're in for a number of inspired posts in the near future!
    Little Dreamer

11. The Following Member Likes This Post:

Favorite VH Song

Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 02:13 AM
    Liked 1,474 Times in 899 Posts

Well written my friend!!
    Remember the Heroes - 9/11/01

In 2012, the phoenix has risen!!

"High speed, low drag."

"Look at all the people here tonight!!!" - 10/5/07, 5/20/08 Mohegan Sun

Congratulations to Van Halen as part of the Class of 2007 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame!

Cinco de Cabo @ Foxwoods: "A giant party with live music" - S. Hagar

got tequila?

http://keepitaliveforever.com

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

ATBL
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 06:06 AM
    Liked 278 Times in 100 Posts

Donor

Great reflection of VH, the tour and what the band means to each and every one of us...we all have a story and even though some members of the band think that we take it a little too seriously, the music has gotten each and every one of us through something in life. I very much hope I do get a chance to see them again and even hear something new from them. Thanks, JMJ and THANK YOU Ed, Al, Dave and Wolf.
    For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge the New England Fucking Patriots, Dallas Fucking Cowboys, New York Fucking Giants, Washington Fucking Redskins, Carolina Fucking Panthers, Tampa Bay Fucking Bucs, Florida Fucking Marlins, Atlanta Fucking Braves, New York Fucking Mets, Boston Fucking Red Sox, Boston Fucking Bruins, and New Jersey Fucking Devils.

( . Y . ) Boobs!

\m/ \m/
    / / v \ \

Favorite VH Album

fair warning, women & children
    Favorite VH Song

unchained,take your whiskey
    Last Online

11.30.15 @ 02:22 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Wonderful sentiments so eloquently expressed. Was just beginning to contemplate my own short soliloquy as well, glad to see im not alone in how moved i am by the band and their music and where it all stands at this point in time...
    Eddie is the greatest, period

The Unofficial VHLinks RRHOF

SkyyeFM-Radio without the Rules(Webpage)

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

10.23.17 @ 12:14 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts

Donor

Well-done JMJ!! Bravo!
    Orange whip?